EPPP practice test scores for those who passed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What are people's thoughts about PEPPPO?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone taken the test recently? I see quite a few people took it in the past few weeks but no feedback... is that a bad sign?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone taken the test recently? I see quite a few people took it in the past few weeks but no feedback... is that a bad sign?

The scores are only sent out to licensing boards twice a month, and the most recent date of doing such just passed. It then takes different boards varying amounts of times to get back to test takers--some will contact you within a couple days, and for others, it may be a couple weeks. I wouldn't necessarily take it to be a bad sign, as the majority of first-time test takers do end up passing.

I've been studying for this thing for about a month, but have only put in about 10 hours a week because I'm still working full time. I took my first practice exam last month through Academic Review so I could get a baseline, and I scored 64%. Since then, I've brushed up on my 4 lowest scoring sections using the written materials and taken 4 more practice tests. My scores haven't improved at all. The highest was my second to last practice test, which was a 67% (the one I took yesterday went back down to 64%). On the other hand, I took the free diagnostic assessment 2 weeks ago (different from the practice exams), and passed with a 74%. I'd really like to sit for the exam at the end of July, but I'm finding myself completely unsure of where I stand. Anyone else in the same boat? I've never had issues with standardized tests before, and did fine/well on the GRE, LSAT, and SAT without much studying. I'm just not sure whether to go ahead and schedule the exam or not.

I've been studying for this thing for about a month, but have only put in about 10 hours a week because I'm still working full time. I took my first practice exam last month through Academic Review so I could get a baseline, and I scored 64%. Since then, I've brushed up on my 4 lowest scoring sections using the written materials and taken 4 more practice tests. My scores haven't improved at all. The highest was my second to last practice test, which was a 67% (the one I took yesterday went back down to 64%). On the other hand, I took the free diagnostic assessment 2 weeks ago (different from the practice exams), and passed with a 74%. I'd really like to sit for the exam at the end of July, but I'm finding myself completely unsure of where I stand. Anyone else in the same boat? I've never had issues with standardized tests before, and did fine/well on the GRE, LSAT, and SAT without much studying. I'm just not sure whether to go ahead and schedule the exam or not.

My personal take--I'd go ahead and schedule it, as that still gives you another ~month to study. I don't think I ever scored above a 69% on any of the test prep company practice exams, and I still managed a score in the mid-600's somewhere. I also ended up only truly studying for a couple weeks, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend that particular method of cramming to anyone; rather, I'd say 4 to 6 weeks of concentrated study (in total) should be enough time to get where you need to be. But worst-case, I know folks who've taken few days/a week off from work, mashed in a good 40-60 hours' worth of studying, and passed.

Everyone is different, of course, but I think there's some fear mongering by some of the test prep organizations (and perhaps inadvertently by other test takers) that leads to folks often over-preparing for the exam.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anybody used the book by Bret Moore published in Nov of 2013? It has 300 practice questions and only cost $53.00 on Amazon. I am using AATBS books now but the material seems difficult to read. Biggest issue is trying to keep a positive attitude and scheduling time to study. Struggling with energy level to study.

I've heard of JD grads studying for the Bar exams and MD grads studying for their licensing exam to get a short term prescription of Adderall. Drinking coffee or energy drinks may be what I need! :)

Posted using SDN Mobile

Has anybody used the book by Bret Moore published in Nov of 2013? It has 300 practice questions and only cost $53.00 on Amazon. I am using AATBS books now but the material seems difficult to read. Biggest issue is trying to keep a positive attitude and scheduling time to study. Struggling with energy level to study.

I've heard of JD grads studying for the Bar exams and MD grads studying for their licensing exam to get a short term prescription of Adderall. Drinking coffee or energy drinks may be what I need! :)

Posted using SDN Mobile

Do a review weekend (reading). Then just do practice tests. It will help let you know what area you are weakest in.

Do a review weekend (reading). Then just do practice tests. It will help let you know what area you are weakest in.

Agreed. Practice exams were far and away the most helpful and high-yield aspect of studying for me. For one, they help you learn the material in general, and they also (as erg mentioned) help point out which areas you should be studying. If you're consistently acing all the biological psych or stats questions, for example, there's really no need to do much more than give that material a cursory skimming through.

Hey all,
I attended a workshop earlier this year, by aatbs (which was great), and should have really started studying afterwards. Me being me, procrastinated and have been really studying the last month, and pretty hardcore the last few weeks. I sit for the exam on the 11th (next week)... I'm in full stress mode. I have been taking the practice exams and have been just breaking the 60's. I saved the last exam for the middle of this week. I initially only skimmed through the books, but found that many of the questions that I was missing were taken verbatim from the books so I have been going through them more thoroughly this last week. I am really hoping that the actual exam is a tad easier than the practice exams. I was told that 60's on the practice should place you in the 70's on the real exam. I truly hope so... I plan to sleep in a bit on the day of, since I get up with my 4 littles by 7am.

Any words of wisdom??

Thanks!

I took it on June 26th. I am still waiting to hear my scores. I am pretty sure the state I took it through (MN) tends to get back to people pretty quickly, so I was hoping to have heard very soon after the 1st. But, I am sure with the holiday weekend things might take a little longer. Waiting anxiously . . . and trying to forget about it with my fingers crossed.

I found the test to be very difficult. Despite everyone saying that it is hard and you have no idea how you are doing as you take it, that is no preparation for how it actually feels to be seeing so many questions regarding content you have never seen before.

Has anybody used the book by Bret Moore published in Nov of 2013? It has 300 practice questions and only cost $53.00 on Amazon.

I bought the EPPP Fundamentals book by Moore and Klee. I would not waste your money on it. I bought it while I was waiting to borrow materials from a test prep company from a friend of mine. I thought it would at least get me started and could ease me into studying. I thought it would give a general overview of some concepts that could help be a primer and remind me of concepts I have learned in the past but not studied for awhile. The book was actually so brief, however, that it did not do this. It basically just gave general topics that you should study rather than even discussing the topics or main vocabulary related to the topics briefly. For example, I thought that for the Learning chapter, they could just give a brief overview of Operant and Classical Conditioning, highlighting definitions for US, CS, Positive reinforcement, Negative Reinforcement, etc. It didn't do any of this. Honestly, you would be better off with a General Psych text book. I think that the "Idiot's Guide to Psychology" my dad bought me years ago covered things more than this book did.

And, regarding the practice questions, I never got around to doing those because I had access to so many other practice tests. I almost completed the practice questions when I was panicking 2 nights before the test, but I figured at that point it was a waste of time to dive into that.

I bought the EPPP Fundamentals book by Moore and Klee. I would not waste your money on it. I bought it while I was waiting to borrow materials from a test prep company from a friend of mine. I thought it would at least get me started and could ease me into studying. I thought it would give a general overview of some concepts that could help be a primer and remind me of concepts I have learned in the past but not studied for awhile. The book was actually so brief, however, that it did not do this. It basically just gave general topics that you should study rather than even discussing the topics or main vocabulary related to the topics briefly. For example, I thought that for the Learning chapter, they could just give a brief overview of Operant and Classical Conditioning, highlighting definitions for US, CS, Positive reinforcement, Negative Reinforcement, etc. It didn't do any of this. Honestly, you would be better off with a General Psych text book. I think that the "Idiot's Guide to Psychology" my dad bought me years ago covered things more than this book did.

And, regarding the practice questions, I never got around to doing those because I had access to so many other practice tests. I almost completed the practice questions when I was panicking 2 nights before the test, but I figured at that point it was a waste of time to dive into that.

Have you looked for your scores on the asppb site?

Members don't see this ad :)
Its amazing that as psychologists, we still depend so much on standardized assessments...even when we know their limitations. (sigh) I take the EPPP exam on 7/28. That leaves me 3 weeks to cram. With a 9 months old, that really equals out to 1.5 weeks. Wish me luck, and best of luck to everyone awaiting their scores.

Hi all, does anyone know how out-of-date the study materials from AR 2003 are at this point?

(Aside from upcoming DSM V update)

11 years ago? Thats a bit of a stretch, IMO

You think? I was in grad school back then and have worked in an inpatient setting for the past 7 years and to be honest most if not all of the info I have studied seems to be pretty much the same now. Any suggestions on what is most likely to have changed significantly?

I used material that had been handed down for several years (possible 5 to 7 years) and I passed just fine. The DSM V would be the major change, I would think.

That's what I'm hoping, as I have my exam scheduled for 7/31! ;)

I'm taking it on 7/29. Looks like a lot of people are trying to get in before it changes to the DSM-V version.

The SW and LPC licensing exam provides your test results shortly after finishing the test. It would seem that the EPPP results could be known quicker than two or three weeks.

The SW and LPC licensing exam provides your test results shortly after finishing the test. It would seem that the EPPP results could be known quicker than two or three weeks.

Depends on when you take it. They standardize the test scores across everyone within a time period. If it were an absolute score, easy to get it right away. Not as easy when you need to wait for the time period to end and then run the stats on it all.

Just finished... OMG. That was the worst experience. On to DSM-IV....

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

I took it on June 26th. I am still waiting to hear my scores. I am pretty sure the state I took it through (MN) tends to get back to people pretty quickly, so I was hoping to have heard very soon after the 1st. But, I am sure with the holiday weekend things might take a little longer. Waiting anxiously . . . and trying to forget about it with my fingers crossed.

I found the test to be very difficult. Despite everyone saying that it is hard and you have no idea how you are doing as you take it, that is no preparation for how it actually feels to be seeing so many questions regarding content you have never seen before.

did you get results yet? I took the test the same day and still haven't heard...

I have been using AATBS materials and TestMaster to study. I am testing in a few days and took the Final Exam in TestMaster today and got a 68, which was lower than what I had hoped. :( My most recent TestMaster test scores prior to the Final Exam were 74 and 68. I am in a state that requires a 75 to pass. I am concerned about not passing and only have a few study days left. Any words of wisdom?!

I have been using AATBS materials and TestMaster to study. I am testing in a few days and took the Final Exam in TestMaster today and got a 68, which was lower than what I had hoped. :( My most recent TestMaster test scores prior to the Final Exam were 74 and 68. I am in a state that requires a 75 to pass. I am concerned about not passing and only have a few study days left. Any words of wisdom?!

Haven't been around this forum for a while but am studying for the EPPP and thought I'd check it out again.

Regarding the EPPP Fundamentals book, I would agree. I've been studying using the recent Academic Review materials and purchased this book as well. It seems much too simplistic. But, I haven't taken the actual test yet so I can't say for sure.

The one thing that the EPPP Fundamentals book did say though is that the test is 4 hours long (not 4 hours 15 minutes), and that you get 15 minutes for practice. Everything else I've read has said that the test is 4 hours 15 minutes for 225 items without any indication that some of that time cannot be used for the questions themselves. How long do you actually get for the 225 test questions?

It's 4 hr 15 min for actual questions. I believe it is an extra 15 mins for practice.

I sat today. It is 4:15 for the 225 questions.

It's 4 hr 15 min for actual questions. I believe it is an extra 15 mins for practice.

I sat today. It is 4:15 for the 225 questions.

Thank you! That is helpful to know.

It makes me think even more though that the 2013/2014 EPPP Fundamentals book by Klee & Moore is not a good source, for anyone who is thinking about buying it. This was taken from the book's description of the PEPPPO and EPPP: "The PEPPPPO provides experiences in taking multiple-choice tests. It tutors the candidate in how to plan ahead for the 4-hour time limit for finishing the 225-item EPPP... the EPPP has 225 multiple-choice items. The candidate has up to 4 hours to answer from an online site provided by Prometrics, with an extra 15 minutes at the beginning for practice purposes. EPPP items are subcategorized into eight areas..."

Took the EPPP today and it was terribly difficult. Studied for several months with Psych Prep and AATBS. I'm hoping the majority of the questions I had a hard time with were the experimental ones. I'm trying to stay positive that I passed, but it's so hard to tell.

I take the exam on Tuesday the 15th and need a 75 as well (NY)! The "75" scares me because I don't know how NY obtains that number. I have been using Academic Review. On second administration's I'm scoring 88-92. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing the question for the first time (I have poor memory) but am getting it right. I'm hoping that a good... I took the PEPPPO a few days ago and obtained a 600. I'm telling myself that it is a fluke so that I don't stop studying.

I just really hope the actual exam fits well with the material I've studied / tests on AR! My biggest fear is the test questions all look at material I haven't seen yet! =\

I thought it was very difficult too. I know many people feel horrible coming out of it and think they've failed, but I can truly say that I failed. I checked on a few questions when I got home and had marked them wrong. Actually I can think of at least 20 that were absolutely wrong and about 30 that I felt great about. The rest I feel like I guessed. Ugh. Hopefully we will know in the next week and a half or so. I expect to retake it but I'm going to try to enjoy 10 days freedom.

Wow, that was really really really difficult. I feel like way too many questions were things I've never even heard of even while going through all of the AATBS materials. :(

That was insanely hard. So much of what I studied through AR wasn't even on the test... I feel so defeated...

That was insanely hard. So much of what I studied through AR wasn't even on the test... I feel so defeated...

I hear you! Many of the questions made me do this: :-O

I feel like I know SO MUCH and very little of that was on the test. It was replaced by a whole bunch of random things I'd never even heard of. <cry>

Exactly fbzu. I know more about random psych than ever before but so much of that test was on other concepts. :\

I felt largely the same way and still ended up passing without a problem, so I'd just try not to read too much in to how you think you did. And remember, 50 of the questions were pre-test items and won't count toward your score, so there's a decent chance that at least a few of the questions about which you felt you had no idea were included in that bunch.

I took the test a couple weeks ago and it was brutal. I agree - the questions on the test bore little resemblance to the questions from either the Academic Review or the AATBS practice tests. I found the actual test much harder than the practice tests (especially the retired questions!), though I also have to factor anxiety into the equation. The whole thing was truly disgusting. I'm largely disgusted with the field in general, for preexisting reasons but the EPPP truly put it over the top. I definitely felt as though I had failed after I walked out of the test center into the blazing afternoon sun. I took it at the beginning of July - does anyone know when the scores should be announced? I was kind of hoping it would be today. Best wishes to all who are waiting for their scores.

The scores are sent to the states twice a month (1-15th are sent within about days of the 15th and 16th through the end of the the month are sent within a few days of the end of the month, if I recall). How quickly YOU get your scores varies widely by state. Some give you access to the scores online, some make you wait for a snail mail letter....totally depends. Call your state board and ask what their procedure is!

My friend took hers on the 2nd of June and found out around midnight the 18th (19th I guess). That would be this Friday or Monday for us. I've already started checking psyims. Ugh.

I'll be so annoyed if we have to wait through the weekend.

Took my exam June 30 and found out I passed in Texas a couple days ago (though results were bundled with another Texas exam). So, maybe 2-3 weeks for EPPP scores. I passed, although like many others here, I found the actual test to be difficult because it wasn't very similar to the practice tests I used from Psych Prep or AATBS. Actually, I found the real test questions to be both more straightforward and at a more basic level than the practice test questions, which you would think would be a positive thing. However, I felt like the practice tests weren't pitched at the right level compared to the actual test, so that made the actual test seem harder. As with any test with an infinite base of questions, I felt like there were many items on the exam I hadn't seen before alongside a ton of stuff I knew well that wasn't asked. I also felt like what was asked was more petty or minor stuff in comparison to the stuff I'd seen over and over again on practice exams that just weren't on the actual exam. I should note that my materials were a couple of years old. If I had to do it again, I'd consider taking some of the retired test questions.

I took it after scoring three consecutive practice tests above 70, after about 7 other exams that were not at that level, so this approach worked fine for me. I did not take the PREPPO or whatever it's actually called - didn't seem worth the money.

Just got off the phone with asppb because my exam says scored but there is no score posted. He told me that the scores were released to the states today. He wasn't able to tell me my score. He also said an email would be generated when scores were available to be viewed.

Just got off the phone with asppb because my exam says scored but there is no score posted. He told me that the scores were released to the states today. He wasn't able to tell me my score. He also said an email would be generated when scores were available to be viewed.

I'm in California. I Took the EPPP on July 11 and my score was posted on the ASPPB website this morning (July 21); however, I haven't received an "official" email notification. I hope you'll be able to view a posted score soon, as I know it's ridiculously stressful to prolong the waiting.

I found out my score yesterday evening, via en email link. Luckily I passed with a 625. But I'm still PISSED. I'm sorry they are keeping you waiting, Vespoli13. Best wishes to you.

Maybe it would be helpful to add, for those who are about to embark on their study processes, that I studied from old materials for the most part and did just fine - from 2006 (Academic Review). I did take some recent practice tests from AATBS, however.

And to reiterate what I wrote above, I also felt as though I failed after leaving the test. So don't let that be your judge.

I hope that my anger about this test - the cost, the content (job evaluation vs. job analysis? give me an effing break), etc. - doesn't go away simply because I passed. More people need to speak out against this final hurdle they ask psychologists to jump through (after the GRE, the psychology GRE, the undergrad GPA, the research and clinical volunteer experiences, the clinical practica, the graduate coursework, the comprehensive exams, the dissertation, the internship, the postdoctoral hours, the debt) and put their lives on hold for. And all for an underpaid (and often underappreciated) profession. It's pretty disgraceful. I'm contemplating how it might be different.

I really don't see the big deal. Yes, the cost is a bit high, but this is nothing new to any medical profession that practices at the doctoral level, and even some that don't. It's a relatively easy test. It could be a bit more relevant to clinical work (throw out the I/O section), but those questions were pretty straightforward anyway. Bottom line, there will always be some kind of minimum bar set, this one really isn't that bad.