EPPP practice test scores for those who passed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I agree with WisNeuro in that I don't have a problem with a licensing exam in and of itself. I just wish more of the EPPP were more directly-relevant to the actual (current) theory and practice of psychology. The I/O stuff really did come out of nowhere, although I wonder if they included it so that the licensed folk who choose to then give I/O a try (I'm not condoning this, mind you) can say, "hey now, my licensing exam included I/O material, so I'm totally qualified."

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats Ruins!

Still no news here. AC1234, others, anything yet?

This thread was an immense comfort to me while I was studying so I wanted to pay it back.

I studied using the AATBS materials. I took 7 practice tests, with scores ranging from 61% - 75%. I just found out I passed today with close to 700. I probably studied between 50-75 hours total. I agree with the heuristic that once you're scoring in the upper 60s, you're ready to take the exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took my exam through NY... so I will have to wait a little while more. They send it by snail mail =/ Congrats Ratt and Amidst!

I took my exam through NY... so I will have to wait a little while more. They send it by snail mail =/ Congrats Ratt and Amidst!

I thought we might be able to see NY scores on the licensing verification website before the snail mail arrives, but I'm not sure?

No FBZU, you have to wait unfortunately being they make changes to the score as well in NY.

No FBZU, you have to wait unfortunately being they make changes to the score as well in NY.

Oh! Really? I had no idea. When do you think we can expect to hear?

A friend who took it last month (who is completing her postdoc in ny) said it took 2.5 weeks from the cutoff day to receive it by mail. So prob another week if you're in NY. I'm in a different state so probably longer for me

A friend who took it last month (who is completing her postdoc in ny) said it took 2.5 weeks from the cutoff day to receive it by mail. So prob another week if you're in NY. I'm in a different state so probably longer for me

Oh wow, I had no idea. I wonder what else NY would do to the scores? I was thinking it would be any day now. :(

NY transfers the scores using their own system for the whole "score over 75" thing, when other states use 500

hi all… just discovered this amazing network of similarly neurotic pre-test takers! I’m sitting for the exam next week too… july 30, sliding in just under the DSM-5. i hope i made the right choice, had to rush the prep a little…

I’ve been teaching (prof at a jr college) and working as a school psychologist for many years… completed my psyd in 2008… and am just taking the leap toward licensure now…

the thread of ‘stories’ relating poor practice test scores with followup eppp passing scores is so encouraging!. thanks for letting me in on these conversations. it’s comforting to know i have a place to visit to “kvetch”… since my family is bored by it already :)

good luck to those awaiting scores… i’ve got a good feeling!

I'm in California. I Took the EPPP on July 11 and my score was posted on the ASPPB website this morning (July 21); however, I haven't received an "official" email notification. I hope you'll be able to view a posted score soon, as I know it's ridiculously stressful to prolong the waiting.

I'm taking the EPPP July 31, when is the earliest I should expect to get my score (California)? Would Monday be possible?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking the EPPP July 31, when is the earliest I should expect to get my score (California)? Would Monday be possible?

It'll of course vary by state, but if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say 7 to 10 days is probably the absolute minimum you should expect.

Hmm, I heard second hand that someone else who took it on the last day of the cycle (15th and last day of the month) heard within a few days in CA. Just wondered what some other experiences were in this state.

I think it largely depends on how your state reports. Some don't send an email at all, only the snail mail letter. And that can take a couple of weeks after the 15th/30th dates.

Has anyone in MA heard yet?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Hmm, I heard second hand that someone else who took it on the last day of the cycle (15th and last day of the month) heard within a few days in CA. Just wondered what some other experiences were in this state.

My take: sure, it's possible, but I personally wouldn't expect anything in under a week.

psyman, if you're taking it on the 31st, Monday might be too soon to hope for. In CA, scores are supposed to be released within 6 business days after the 15th and last day of the month. I took my exam on July 11 and my score was posted on July 21, which was four business days after the 15th. I still haven't received the email notification about anything posted, so I found my posted score by compulsively checking the ASPPB website every day. I know it's a gut wrenching wait period, particularly because I honestly didn't have a good sense of whether I passed or not...so there was a big sigh of relief when I saw that I passed with a comfortable margin. Now I'm prepping to squeeze in the CPSE by the end of the month.

As other members have shared, this forum was comforting for me to visit when I needed a boost of encouragement while studying for the EPPP (and during the agonizing wait period). I vowed to pay it forward once I cleared the hurdle. I agree with previous posts about unnecessary overkill with studying, because it can easily consume your life (and does anyone EVER feel completely prepared going into it?). However, I have significant anxiety with standardized tests. I knew my anxiety would be more problematic than getting the content down, so my strategy was to ease into it without self-imposed pressure, and then concentrate my efforts as efficiently as possible within a short time frame by focusing on practice tests. I used the PsychPrep weekend workshop audio and quizzes and "studied" ~2 hours on weekends (a couple of quizzes) for about 4 weeks and listened to the CDs that reviewed the quizzes while driving or running. I had a lot of TA and teaching experience while in grad school, and so most of the material was a familiar review. I didn’t seriously review study guides (PsychPrep 2010 and some AR) until the last two weeks before the exam. Instead, I jumped straight into the quizzes to get a sense of my baseline.

Serious studying happened two weeks before the exam. I took 4 full practice tests, half of the retired items, and several content-specific quizzes. After each practice test, I tallied my incorrect questions by content area and then concentrated my studying on only those 2-3 weak areas and items. I highly recommend taking as many practice tests as you can and identifying your weaknesses early on so you can tailor your studying. All of my practice tests were in the 68-78% range. I believe that the short quizzes I initially took helped prep me for the practice tests during the final two weeks. I made some flashcards using the “Flashcards+” iPhone app for the I/O stuff and other random info that I needed to know cold so I wouldn’t waste time thinking about it in the real test (easy and portable to study anywhere). The Quizlet and Cram sites and iPhone apps can also be helpful (I’m using those for the CPSE right now).

In sum, for those going through this hazing process, I suggest that you spend nearly all of your time on practice tests over rote memorization or reading through entire study guides or chapters. Focus on your weaknesses and trust in your strengths (degree/specialization). Brush up on test taking strategies if you are anxiety prone. Force yourself to do at least one full mock practice exam within the timed 4 hr 15 min. so you can gauge your pace and threshold for mental fatigue. Be prepared to see questions on the exam that will freak you out because you’ve never seen the content before. And almost always go with your first answer unless you completely misread the question.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll mention it again--I second satori's recommendation to focus primarily on practice tests in prepping for the EPPP. Everyone is of course different, but I personally spent as much time taking and then reviewing practice exams (7-8 in all) as I did actually reading through the test prep material. The latter certainly helped, particularly for areas like I/O where it was my first time seeing much of that stuff, but the practice exams helped provide a bit of a "scaffolding" on which to hang the actual knowledge. Plus, as satori also mentioned, it got me used to the types of questions that were being asked, which helped me to focus my studying as needed (e.g., "oh, I'm probably going to need to know this odd, esoteric piece of information right here that might otherwise seem unimportant").

I really don't see the big deal. Yes, the cost is a bit high, but this is nothing new to any medical profession that practices at the doctoral level, and even some that don't. It's a relatively easy test. It could be a bit more relevant to clinical work (throw out the I/O section), but those questions were pretty straightforward anyway. Bottom line, there will always be some kind of minimum bar set, this one really isn't that bad.

Personally, I find the scientist-practitioner model largely disagreeable (narrow-minded, anti-intellectual, etc.), so I of course find the EPPP disagreeable. For those who resonate strongly with the scientist-practitioner model (along with the medical model of mental illness), the EPPP probably only seems like an additional annoying hurdle.

Personally, I find the scientist-practitioner model largely disagreeable (narrow-minded, anti-intellectual, etc.), so I of course find the EPPP disagreeable. For those who resonate strongly with the scientist-practitioner model (along with the medical model of mental illness), the EPPP probably only seems like an additional annoying hurdle.

We can break this out into a different thread if the discussion gets going, but I'd be curious as to what it is about the scientist-practitioner model in particular you find disagreeable and how you think it might be improved/which training model you think might be better suited to training folks for the practice of psychology?

Last edited:
I passed! I see my name in the NY licensure database. AC1234, maybe you can check there as well?

I am in shock because the exam was so difficult. But somehow, I did it!

My strategy was to skim AATBS test materials, fully complete the written end of chapter summaries, study those, and take the AATBS practice exams. I took all 8 plus the final exam, and then repeated as many as I could in the weeks before the test. My final scores were in the mid 60s to mid 70s by the time I sat for the test, and high 70s for the 2nd go around.

Good luck to all! I am so happy this chapter is behind me.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats FBZU!! I checked but don't see anything listed. I'm hoping it's because all my paperwork isn't yet submitted as I am still in the process of completing post doc? And need to submit one other thing? You checked the "verification of license" page correct?

But congratulations!

I passed! I see my name in the NY licensure database. AC1234, maybe you can check there as well?

I am in shock because the exam was so difficult. But somehow, I did it!

My strategy was to skim AATBS test materials, fully complete the written end of chapter summaries, study those, and take the AATBS practice exams. I took all 8 plus the final exam, and then repeated as many as I could in the weeks before the test. My final scores were in the mid 60s to mid 70s by the time I sat for the test, and high 70s for the 2nd go around.

Good luck to all! I am so happy this chapter is behind me.

Congrats FBZU!! I checked but don't see anything listed. I'm hoping it's because all my paperwork isn't yet submitted as I am still in the process of completing post doc? And need to submit one other thing? You checked the "verification of license" page correct?

But congratulations!

I'm sure it's because you don't have everything submitted yet. I had everything in and the EPPP was the final piece. Good luck!

I'm sure it's because you don't have everything submitted yet. I had everything in and the EPPP was the final piece. Good luck!

Okay, that makes me feel better! I didn't see my name and became very anxious. Then I realized my fridge stopped working. It's been a great morning! But I feel better now.

Congratulations LICENSED PSYCHOLOGIST!

Okay, that makes me feel better! I didn't see my name and became very anxious. Then I realized my fridge stopped working. It's been a great morning! But I feel better now.

Congratulations LICENSED PSYCHOLOGIST!

AC1234, my letter with test scores from PES came today. I think you said you were out of state, so hopefully yours arrives soon. GOOD LUCK!

My score was much higher than any practice test I took, even on the second go-around.

AC1234, my letter with test scores from PES came today. I think you said you were out of state, so hopefully yours arrives soon. GOOD LUCK!

My score was much higher than any practice test I took, even on the second go-around.

That's great! Thanks! Now get off this site and celebrate haha

so so happy for you fbzu! I’m taking away a lot of encouragement from watching your conversation thread! i’m using second hand materials… so i cannot get into that test retest loop in a smooth way… my scores are hovering around 61%…I’ve still got one week (exactly) to go… don’t know if i want to it pass quick or slow! i just know i want to be successfully on the other side of this hurdle.

keeping an eye and a good thought for you too, ac 1234!

so so happy for you fbzu! I’m taking away a lot of encouragement from watching your conversation thread! i’m using second hand materials… so i cannot get into that test retest loop in a smooth way… my scores are hovering around 61%…I’ve still got one week (exactly) to go… don’t know if i want to it pass quick or slow! i just know i want to be successfully on the other side of this hurdle.

keeping an eye and a good thought for you too, ac 1234!

Thanks Lifepsych! Good luck next week!!

So... just found out... I PASSED THE EPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(NY State)

I can't believe it. I truly believed I failed. It is such a surreal feeling.

After I got the letter in the mail I decided to go for a walk before opening it, and I'm hoping I wasn't hit by a car. This just doesn't feel real.

Thank FBZU and everyone else for your support! And good luck to everyone who will be taking it soon. Just put in the time you feel is neccesary and go in there and pass it! You will feel like you failed. Everything will suck for a good period of time afterward, but stay positive! Believe in yourself.

(NY State)

After I got the letter in the mail I decided to go for a walk before opening it, and I'm hoping I wasn't hit by a car. This just doesn't feel real.

Thank FBZU and everyone else for your support! And good luck to everyone who will be taking it soon. Just put in the time you feel is neccesary and go in there and pass it! You will feel like you failed. Everything will suck for a good period of time afterward, but stay positive! Believe in yourself.

AC1234, yahoo!!!!! You did it! What an amazing feeling. Congratulations! It is very strange to feel like you failed and then pass, yet it's the same experience most of us here seem to have. I hope you are celebrating right now!!

Congrats all!! You must feel so awesome! Go celebrate!

I on the other hand will be repeating the exam..... Ahhhhhhhhhh! It's ok. I'm over it. Although it's a small part, Stats really kills my confidence, so I rushed through it. I could also feel a head cold coming on, which has since blown into a sinus and ear infection, and bronchitis. Fun stuff with 4 kids under 6!

Probably going to retake in the fall. On the 15th or 31st!

Congrats again to all who passed!

(NY State)

oh, hooray!! so so so happy for you! what a crazy flaming hoop they make us jump through!
hope i’m right behind you, getting through without getting burned!!

here’s a practical question… open to all and any who have taken the exam successfully or otherwise…
are there some questions that will be/look familiar/repeated from all of these Academic Review/Psych Prep practice tests? or are the tests really only good for drilling the concepts into our heads (over learning)?

just took my best practice test yet, 68%… it did contain some questions i have seen before… thought i would/should do better… 5 days left to study… exhausting!

oh, hooray!! so so so happy for you! what a crazy flaming hoop they make us jump through!
hope i’m right behind you, getting through without getting burned!!

here’s a practical question… open to all and any who have taken the exam successfully or otherwise…
are there some questions that will be/look familiar/repeated from all of these Academic Review/Psych Prep practice tests? or are the tests really only good for drilling the concepts into our heads (over learning)?

just took my best practice test yet, 68%… it did contain some questions i have seen before… thought i would/should do better… 5 days left to study… exhausting!

We're not supposed to discuss specific test content, but I can say that yes, I saw numerous questions on the real exam that were very similar (in both content and style) to the practice questions. In my experience, the test prep company questions were more difficult than the real deal.

I on the other hand will be repeating the exam..... Ahhhhhhhhhh! It's ok. I'm over it. Although it's a small part, Stats really kills my confidence, so I rushed through it. I could also feel a head cold coming on, which has since blown into a sinus and ear infection, and bronchitis. Fun stuff with 4 kids under 6!

Ah, I'm sorry to hear that Vespoli. I'm glad you're staying positive though. I don't think I could have done it, with four kids under 6! That isn't easy whatsoever. Plus an illness! You will definitely be in a better place physically for the second go around. Good luck!!

Thanks Lifepsych! Good luck. Just study those practice tests, take a deep breath and take the exam. I'm sure it will go great. Keep the board updated on how it goes.

Oh, and I agree with Acronym. But it's not that many. It does give you a boost of confidence until you get a completely random question haha

I'm sorry Vespoli :( It sounds like you have a good attitude about it though. Best of luck the next go-round!

I have been studying for the EPPP off and on for over 2 years. I have taken it twice, first in Dec 2013, with a score of 450, and recently July 8th with a score of 486. I mostly used PsychPrep and recently purchased AR online practice exams. I work full time, making a low post-doc salary, and the process of this licensure hurdle and having to be a doctor living off of cereal and pop-tarts is rediculous. I am frustrated with the whole process. My practice test scores are mostly in the mid 60s first time around, to mid 80s second time around. Why why why is this process of getting licensed so &*(@ing difficult?!?!?!?

I'm taking the EPPP on Tuesday. I've been using AATBS materials and test master program. My scores are crazy. Test 1-5 I was 70 and up. Now on test 6-8 I'm scoring 56-64%. Should I be concerned. I'm still studying I have a today and Monday. Good luck to all who are testing this week.

We're not supposed to discuss specific test content, but I can say that yes, I saw numerous questions on the real exam that were very similar (in both content and style) to the practice questions. In my experience, the test prep company questions were more difficult than the real deal.

I’m sorry, mea culpa, didn’t mean to imply slacker integrity… not looking for specific info, just general “peace of mind”…. thanks for the little “nod” though, it does lower my anxt just a bit.

really cannot thank you guys (particularly acronym, ac 123 and fbzu enough for the info, conversation threads and encouragement… being part of this board the past few days has really been good for me… as i approach the final days of prep, it is harder to keep the anxiety from becoming paralyzing!!

last question/comment… i am (like amidst the ruins… comment above) using 2nd hand materials from 2010… are there any recent open source (aka, free) practice tests out there? i have taken the one on Academic a number of times… i feel like it’s no longer helpful… still have 2 practice tests i haven’t taken yet… but would love to find another 1 or 2.

sorry to hear, vespoli… good for you to turn it around and take it again soon.
i too have a big family, job, etc… and because of it, have repeatedly put off a lot of my professional development (i.e., leave of absence between finishing my coursework and doing my research/orals… taking this exam), always waiting for “ life to settle down a little.” Big, big mistake on my part. i’ve been ’threatening’ to take this exam for almost 2 years now… and finally committed to it (thank you Protchaka!!). obviously success is not guaranteed… but the mindset of doing the studying and planning on jumping over this hurdle is a great and powerful thing. best of luck to us both! you too, jerseydoc!

Reactions: 1 users
I’m sorry, mea culpa, didn’t mean to imply slacker integrity… not looking for specific info, just general “peace of mind”…. thanks for the little “nod” though, it does lower my anxt just a bit.

really cannot thank you guys (particularly acronym, ac 123 and fbzu enough for the info, conversation threads and encouragement… being part of this board the past few days has really been good for me… as i approach the final days of prep, it is harder to keep the anxiety from becoming paralyzing!!

last question/comment… i am (like amidst the ruins… comment above) using 2nd hand materials from 2010… are there any recent open source (aka, free) practice tests out there? i have taken the one on Academic a number of times… i feel like it’s no longer helpful… still have 2 practice tests i haven’t taken yet… but would love to find another 1 or 2.

Oh, no worries, was just mentioning that in case my post would've come across as overly-vague otherwise.

As for your question, unfortunately, I don't know the answer to that. I don't know of any personally, but that's mostly because I never looked, so it's very possible some are available.

I'm taking the EPPP on Tuesday. I've been using AATBS materials and test master program. My scores are crazy. Test 1-5 I was 70 and up. Now on test 6-8 I'm scoring 56-64%. Should I be concerned. I'm still studying I have a today and Monday. Good luck to all who are testing this week.
Good luck - I am testing this week also. I am getting a bunch of practice questions wrong. Hoping it is mainly due to study fatigue. At this point, I am seriously burning out. All the best!

Good luck - I am testing this week also. I am getting a bunch of practice questions wrong. Hoping it is mainly due to study fatigue. At this point, I am seriously burning out. All the best!
hi louise.. i’m with you! not such a great practice test today… midway had something pretty close to a panic reaction
;(​

i too have a big family, job, etc… and because of it, have repeatedly put off a lot of my professional development (i.e., leave of absence between finishing my coursework and doing my research/orals… taking this exam), always waiting for “ life to settle down a little.” Big, big mistake on my part. i’ve been ’threatening’ to take this exam for almost 2 years now… and finally committed to it (thank you Protchaka!!). obviously success is not guaranteed… but the mindset of doing the studying and planning on jumping over this hurdle is a great and powerful thing. best of luck to us both! you too, jerseydoc!

Thanks for the reply... I feel ok about it. Unfortunately I have to reapply to the state since my eligibility is up so that'll take a little time but I'll be studying during that process anyway.

To all taking the exam this week. Take a deep breath. Take your time during the exam and for those questions that you don't know the answer pick one and mark it to come back to later. That was helpful for me. Take breaks and drink some water. I rushed through questions that I didn't know or recognize, I should've taken more time to try to look for clues or grade the answer more thoroughly but I was already feeling this sinus infection coming on.

Good Luck everyone! You'll be great!