EPPP Unoffical Score 496 and NY converted score 74

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psy2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the EPPP for the first time and received unofficial scaled score of 496 and NY converted score of 74. It appears I am just under the cut off of 500/75 for NY converted but wondering if anyone can confirm this for me. Also, I am using the AATBS test prep with last few scores of 74, 67, 72, and 72 on practice tests. I studied the last 5 weeks leading up to the test 25 hours per week, and fewer hours the month before. Any suggestions given my score, individual information would be great. I rescheduled my exam for September 5 (which was the first available slot). I have 8 more weeks to prepare...again. Since I took the test on Friday evening, I am unable to reach anyone to find out if CA has a wait period ( I hope not). I work, and have kids too.

Members don't see this ad.

I had the same score on my EPPP and when I took it again after 90 days, I passed. Basically you were one question from passing with a 496 standard score.

Remember the score given at the exit of EPPP is not official and the score you receive later is the official score. Since you are so close to passing it could change when you receive the official score.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I had the same score on my EPPP and when I took it again after 90 days, I passed. Basically you were one question from passing with a 496 standard score.

Remember the score given at the exit of EPPP is not official and the score you receive later is the official score. Since you are so close to passing it could change when you receive the official score.

Actually I called the ASPBB a few months ago after taking my EPPP. The word is, the score they hand you when exiting the exam is the actual score and will not change. They can't call it "official" because the state jurisdiction did not confirm it. The passing score for most states is 500 (standard score) or the mean national average, whichever is lower.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually I called the ASPBB a few months ago after taking my EPPP. The word is, the score they hand you when exiting the exam is the actual score and will not change. They can't call it "official" because the state jurisdiction did not confirm it. The passing score for most states is 500 (standard score) or the mean national average, whichever is lower.
same, when I took mine in march. I was told the only reason it was "unofficial" is in case there's some reason to suspect a person cheated. With the way the security in there works now, I find cheating to be highly unlikely and kinda ludicrous. Regardless, I think changing the score outside the realm of cheating is now out, and your score is your score.

same, when I took mine in march. I was told the only reason it was "unofficial" is in case there's some reason to suspect a person cheated. With the way the security in there works now, I find cheating to be highly unlikely and kinda ludicrous. Regardless, I think changing the score outside the realm of cheating is now out, and your score is your score.[/QUOTE
I just took the EPPP for the first time and received unofficial scaled score of 496 and NY converted score of 74. It appears I am just under the cut off of 500/75 for NY converted but wondering if anyone can confirm this for me. Also, I am using the AATBS test prep with last few scores of 74, 67, 72, and 72 on practice tests. I studied the last 5 weeks leading up to the test 25 hours per week, and fewer hours the month before. Any suggestions given my score, individual information would be great. I rescheduled my exam for September 5 (which was the first available slot). I have 8 more weeks to prepare...again. Since I took the test on Friday evening, I am unable to reach anyone to find out if CA has a wait period ( I hope not). I work, and have kids too.

Update since my first post on Friday. This Monday morning my licensing analyst at the BOP said that 500 is the cut off, and the unofficial score will not change. Anything under 500 is a fail. There is NOT a waiting period to take the EPPP for a second time. Thanks to everyone who responded.

Any additional tips you think will help me prepare over the next 8 weeks would be appreciated. My plan is to study 20-25 hours until the test September 5 . I hope that will afford me some wiggle room for EPPP # 2. I am thinking that I will take an on the ground 4 day prep and an online stats/test construction course through AATBS since I did not do that the last time around. I will renew my AATBS test materials which I think gives me another three rounds (9 I think) of practice tests, plus more individual consultation. I saw my Testmaster practice test scores rise steadily as I continued studying so I anticipate the trend to continue. My respective test scores going into the EPPP were 74, 64, 72, 67, 72. It seems AATBS test scores are fairly accurate measures for actual EPPP. It seems I should have just taken a bit more time for the first test.

I would take the test early in the morning and during the last two to five days of the month rather than the first week of the month as the comparison groups are different. Get a good night sleep, write down stat stuff on dry erase board they provide before starting test. Take a ten to 15 minute break midway unless you feel on a roll. Mark uncertain questions and pace yourself to finish 30-45 minutes before the end time. Review marked questions. Don't spend more than 2 minutes on any question If you can't narrow choices, mark it and move to next question. Don't over study the day before the test. Memorize theories and stat test information. Use positive imagery with thoughts of confidence and passing rather than failing and self doubt.

Last edited:
Interesting on the different comparison groups. How does that work?

Just my superstitions. I took the test two time during the first part of the month and almost passed. On the third time I took it towards the end of the month and passed. The prior times I took the test in the evening and studied all day before taking the test. I took it in the morning when I passed.

They may not have the two standardization groups anymore since you receive your score at the end of the testing.

Being rested and having energy is very important in passing.

Another important tip in ensuring a passing grade: Go to a good program that will give you the foundation. This test should really be a quick review and then a quick overview of I/O psychology.

Another important tip in ensuring a passing grade: Go to a good program that will give you the foundation. This test should really be a quick review and then a quick overview of I/O psychology.

Unfortunately that will not help the OP at this point as his education is likely completed if he is taking the EPPP.

By "Good" programs I assume you are alluding to the "implied" operational definition of APA accredited. However, this may not always be true. Maybe someone is a bad test taker, has anxiety, or has been out of classes for several years before taking the test.

I for instance, went to one of "those" professional schools and was like 6 years out from my classes. But I studied for a month and passed on the first try. Even the "good" programs do not always have 90%+ pass rates, so there are obviously extraneous variables to consider. Perhaps some of the top schools also have students with some of the best study skills and test taking skills, thus allowing them into a competitive environment, which then reflects on their scores.

Perhaps we need to design a research study in which students complete an exit mock EPPP exam based on what they know as they leave their programs, versus and exam based on what they know+ what they have reviewed and studied.

No, but it may be useful for future applicants of grad programs. You will rarely see solid programs fall below the 85-90% mark. I'll allow some wriggle room in individual test taking behavior, but that is a small variance factor, and wouldn't explain the sub60-70% seen in many PsyD's and FSPS's. That being said, the test could be changed to better address clinical psychology by eliminating the I/O questions and have more related to clinical foundational knowledge, biostats, and understanding research findings.

They may not have the two standardization groups anymore since you receive your score at the end of the testing.
As I read about the changes prior to taking the EPPP a few months ago, my understanding is that they no longer have those groups. Instead, what they have are 5 versions of the same test that are used at once. They are standardized and are constantly being rotated in and out. I dont know/remember more than that, but I think a lengthy explanation is available from the ASBPP.

NY EPPP scores:

Every now and then we hear “I failed the exam because I needed a 75 in NY whereas every other state requires a 70.” While this could be a fair rationalization, it is not true.

Generally, the EPPP scale ranges from 200 to 800, where the standard score (SS) of 500 is considered passing at the doctoral level. While studying for the EPPP, we remember a clear explanation of this myth in an old version of the Academic Review CDs, not sure if they still have it. So, here it is:

EPPP SS=500 is equivalent to a 70% or 140 correct questions. Passing score

When you check NY’s website is states a “converted score of at least 75,” which may be confusing.

For unknown reasons NY uses an additional conversion of the EPPP score, so:

EPPP SS=500 (or 70%) is equivalent to a NY converted score=75

NY does not require a higher EPPP score, their passing requirements are the same as every other state, but they use a different and somewhat confusing standard/converted score.

NY EPPP scores:

Every now and then we hear “I failed the exam because I needed a 75 in NY whereas every other state requires a 70.” While this could be a fair rationalization, it is not true.

Generally, the EPPP scale ranges from 200 to 800, where the standard score (SS) of 500 is considered passing at the doctoral level. While studying for the EPPP, we remember a clear explanation of this myth in an old version of the Academic Review CDs, not sure if they still have it. So, here it is:

EPPP SS=500 is equivalent to a 70% or 140 correct questions. Passing score

When you check NY’s website is states a “converted score of at least 75,” which may be confusing.

For unknown reasons NY uses an additional conversion of the EPPP score, so:

EPPP SS=500 (or 70%) is equivalent to a NY converted score=75

NY does not require a higher EPPP score, their passing requirements are the same as every other state, but they use a different and somewhat confusing standard/converted score.
Thank you for the additional information. Unfortunately I learned about the NY converted score only after I took the test. Upon receiving the report in the test center I looked at the 74 which was the first number I saw and thought I passed. Although it did not take long to see that I scored below the pass cut off since the report provide information about the NY converted score 75 cut off, thinking I passed for a couple minutes, added another layer to the disappointment.

Thank you for the additional information. Unfortunately I learned about the NY converted score only after I took the test. Upon receiving the report in the test center I looked at the 74 which was the first number I saw and thought I passed. Although it did not take long to see that I scored below the pass cut off since the report provide information about the NY converted score 75 cut off, thinking I passed for a couple minutes, added another layer to the disappointment.

Oh mann sorry to hear abt your misfortune, i wish u full success next time...take more practice tests..i have some retired questions if u need'em

Oh mann sorry to hear abt your misfortune, i wish u full success next time...take more practice tests..i have some retired questions if u need'em

Thank you for the encouragement! I purchased two additional rounds of AATBS Testmaster tests (16 tests) and my first test post EPPP exam was my highest yet. It seems the AATBS tests are accurate measures for the actual exam for me. I am hopeful that another 6 weeks of study and practice test taking will give me the wiggle room I need. I will take you up on your offer if I think I need those retired questions. Much appreciation for that.

Comment regarding the test taking conditions at test center: My location included mostly individuals from other fields. ( I saw the list of tests for the other testing individuals when I arrived, I was the only one taking the EPPP). As such, many were typing responses to essay questions while I was testing. The computer keyboards have tall buttons and therefore produce a rather loud distinctive sound when struck. Although the number of essay question writers varied throughout my test, at one point the noise was hugely distracting with several individuals generating the same amount of noise and all around me. They provide "noise cancelling" headphones, which I tried, but I decided the sound of striking keys was the lesser of two evils. To me, the headphones sounded similar to two conch shells pushed up against my ears, or some type of vortex and were worse than the feverish pace of pounding heard all around me in square room. (Computers around almost the entire perimeter) I would imagine these conditions vary on any given day.

Also, a smaller inconvenience was the location of the clock. I had to turn all the way around to see the time which was a hassle. Watches are not permitted and the timer on the screen is in minutes,.

Last edited:
Thank you for the encouragement! I purchased two additional rounds of AATBS Testmaster tests (16 tests) and my first test post EPPP exam was my highest yet. It seems the AATBS tests are accurate measures for the actual exam for me. I am hopeful that another 6 weeks of study and practice test taking will give me the wiggle room I need. I will take you up on your offer if I think I need those retired questions. Much appreciation for that.

Comment regarding the test taking conditions at test center: My location included mostly individuals from other fields. ( I saw the list of tests for the other testing individuals when I arrived, I was the only one taking the EPPP). As such, many were typing responses to essay questions while I was testing. The computer keyboards have tall buttons and therefore produce a rather loud distinctive sound when struck. Although the number of essay question writers varied throughout my test, at one point the noise was hugely distracting with several individuals generating the same amount of noise and all around me. They provide "noise cancelling" headphones, which I tried, but I decided the sound of striking keys was the lesser of two evils. To me, the headphones sounded similar to two conch shells pushed up against my ears, or some type of vortex and were worse than the feverish pace of pounding heard all around me in square room. (Computers around almost the entire perimeter) I would imagine these conditions vary on any given day.

Also, a smaller inconvenience was the location of the clock. I had to turn all the way around to see the time which was a hassle. Watches are not permitted and the timer on the screen is in minutes,.

i can email to u...SDN mods won't let me post stuff here

Happy to report passing EPPP today. Does anyone have information to help with CPLEE prep. (AATBS vs. Psych Prep, study timeframe/ hours...) . Law and Ethics was my strongest content area in EPPP with test scores in the 90's on practice all exams. I don't want to underestimate the level of difficulty.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi i gave my exam yesterday, got 466 score, didnt pass through. Did everything by the rule, so was too shocked to know this result. Really do not know how else should i proceed with this exam. Firstly i am not educated in this country, i am from an asian country. Not used to multiple choice kind of exams, rather lengthy answer exams and, have done my education 11 years back. I find all this too much overwhelming. I would really like some guidance on how, what and from where to study. I already spent 2000 CAD on 2 seperate exam programs. Both failed me.
Guidance please.

Happy to report passing EPPP today. Does anyone have information to help with CPLEE prep. (AATBS vs. Psych Prep, study timeframe/ hours...) . Law and Ethics was my strongest content area in EPPP with test scores in the 90's on practice all exams. I don't want to underestimate the level of difficulty.
Hi! I got the same score as you on my first try 3 days ago... wondering what do you understand you did to help you pass... I feel like taking it quickly but know I might need more time to review or do test?? Not sure what to do!! I have to admit I did not study for Stat so that could've mde the difference. What do you recomend?