PhD/PsyD EPPP Unofficial Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tross2008

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I just sat for the EPPP for the third time and was surprised to be handed a paper with my unofficial score before I left (587!). Before getting too excited, does anyone know with the new testing site (EPPP changed from Prometic to Pearson on 2/1/15) if this unofficial score is accurate? Anyone else have experience with this new testing site?

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, you guys are lucky. You just get your score right after now? How is it scaled though?

That's very interesting indeed. I'd imagine it's unofficial mainly because, like psyman mentioned, it's not yet adjusted based on national performance on that particular test. No clue how accurate it'd be, but it'd probably be helpful if they were able to give you the equivalent of a confidence interval or something (e.g., "it's very likely that your final score will range from XX-XX based on the typical adjustments made during the adjustment process").

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone! I just sat for the EPPP for the third time and was surprised to be handed a paper with my unofficial score before I left (587!). Before getting too excited, does anyone know with the new testing site (EPPP changed from Prometic to Pearson on 2/1/15) if this unofficial score is accurate? Anyone else have experience with this new testing site?

Tross- I just took the EPPP this weekend. I also received a passing score. My understanding is that this is a new feature. I also assume it is because Pearson is now the testing site, instead of Prometric. I was shocked to find out my score so soon, and I also worry that the score is inaccurate. At the testing site the proctors told me that this is common for them- to give out the results immediately following the test. However, I realize they are not familiar with our test. I am thinking to call ASPPB to ask about this. Maybe they will post a revised guidebook online that will tell all candidates that these results/scores are your actual score. Then we can post on this message board again and hopefully have good news for other people. On Pearson's website, it does indicate that I "passed." This feels reassuring. To me, it seems unlikely that they would give us all of these positive indicators, to then change it. But who knows..

Here's to being the first ones to try the new system! Best of luck.

Have you heard anything? I am interested to know the accuracy of the scores. I am doubtful that the scoring accounts for the 50 test questions but you never know. Keep us updated!

Hello
I also sat for the EPPP at Pearson this month and was extremely surprised to see the print out of my score as soon as I was walking out of the exam- noone gave us this heads up! Like AcronymAllergy mentioned, I had been under the impression that they curve the final results based on national performance standards of that particular test within a particular time frame, but now I am not so sure? I know they provide a standard score that was adjusted already based on test difficulty so that it is fair (I believe this is included in the unofficial standard score), but I just assumed there was one more curve after the fact based on this national performance factor. I don't have my official score yet and am hoping it is higher than my unofficical standard score. I wish we had more information on this new process. Any more insight would be helpful. thanks!!

Just remember that the curve can go up or down. They run the stats on the test cohorts. If it is a harder test than average, your official score will go up. If it is easier than average, it will go down. As long as you aren't right on that cutoff line, I wouldn't sorry too much. And if you passed, your score is irrelevant as long as it is high enough to license you where you want to be.

Just remember that the curve can go up or down. They run the stats on the test cohorts. If it is a harder test than average, your official score will go up. If it is easier than average, it will go down. As long as you aren't right on that cutoff line, I wouldn't sorry too much. And if you passed, your score is irrelevant as long as it is high enough to license you where you want to be.
Thank you! Are you referring to the curve done to the unofficial standard score used to compute the official score?

The official score at the end. They cannot compute that until the entire cohort to be assessed has finished the exam. Granted, this is as long as they are still doing it in a similar way that they were a few years ago.

My anxiety got the best of me today and I called ASPBB. They confirmed that the unofficial exam scores you receive immediately following the EPPP, will be the official exam score. The new system allows each test to have designated scoring which accounts for the 50 test question as well as the difficulty. The scores are only unofficial until the designate state receives the scores and verifies pass/no pass. I hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user
My anxiety got the best of me today and I called ASPBB. They confirmed that the unofficial exam scores you receive immediately following the EPPP, will be the official exam score. The new system allows each test to have designated scoring which accounts for the 50 test question as well as the difficulty. The scores are only unofficial until the designate state receives the scores and verifies pass/no pass. I hope this helps.

Ahh, so it sounds like they're basically now going about it the same way as something like the GRE. Good to know.

Hmm, they must have changed the post-test standardization procedures in the past year. Odd.
It is unusual that they would change it all of a sudden. It isn't just changed because they do the standardization for the 50 questions and for the harder, easier questions right away, but because there is no review based on national standards of performance in a cohort after the exam. What if everyone in that cohort happens to fail, for example? I was just under the impression there is a Curve based on cohort performance, in addition to test difficulty level, and if they recently took away this Curve this past year, that doesn'e keep this process standard. Perhaps the person who was speaking on behalf of ASPBB was not aware of the Curve?

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed, I would imagine that the scores wouldn't vary all that much. My understanding was that the different versions of the exam still had considerable question overlap, so it would unusual for vastly different pass rates. This also helps to control for cohort effects. But still, it would be unusual to deviate completely from the standardization procedure. I haven't seen any updated releases from them explaining the move at least.

Agreed, I would imagine that the scores wouldn't vary all that much. My understanding was that the different versions of the exam still had considerable question overlap, so it would unusual for vastly different pass rates. This also helps to control for cohort effects. But still, it would be unusual to deviate completely from the standardization procedure. I haven't seen any updated releases from them explaining the move at least.
So did anyone get the answer on this? I just took the test and got a printout of the unofficial score. Is this the real score?

Last edited:
I also called ASPPB to confirm my score after I took it earlier this month. They told me that it is indeed my score; no changes would be made to it. A week later, I received the official letter that said I was licensed. I have not seen my score anywhere other than the unofficial report that was handed to me at the Pearson testing site.

I'm going in circles here. Just took the test and was totally taken by surprise to get a print out with my score. Is this the real score? I spoke to Pearson, my State Board (Pennsylvania) and ASPPB and none of them would confirm whether or not this is my official score and kept telling me to call someone else. I got a 541 so above 500. Thank you!

I'm going in circles here. Just took the test and was totally taken by surprise to get a print out with my score. Is this the real score? I spoke to Pearson, my State Board (Pennsylvania) and ASPPB and none of them would confirm whether or not this is my official score and kept telling me to call someone else. I got a 541 so above 500. Thank you!
same thing happened to me. No one knew an actual 100% answer. So strange.

I have not yet received any official news from my state. For whatever reason, they stated they have not yet received the score, despite ASBBP stating they sent the score to them the week after I took the test! Quite frustrating, but it seems from everyone else's replies I should be hopeful that my 587 "unofficial" score at the Pearson site is enough to pass, but I'll update as soon as I hear back from my state.

Yes, I confirmed with Pearson and the "unofficial" score is your ACTUAL score. Its a new and that is standard. You will get an official letter of the score mailed to the address you registered with. You can also view in your account whether you pass or not but it will provide your score.

Anyone who recently took the test and passed.. Congratulations.. I am taking mine soon and wanted to know which study materials you use and how long you study for.

Hi all!
I sat for the EPPP exam today and was provided (like many of you listed here) an Unofficial Score Report. I took the exam in California; so... when I reviewed the Unofficial Score Report, I was a bit thrown off by the fact that my scaled EPPP score was followed up by a line indicating that "the state of New York uses a converted version of scaled EPPP scores." It then provided me with the New York state converted score. Since my brain is absolutely fried at this point... I am reading this 2 different ways and I wanted to check with others just to make sure that I am not taking it the wrong way.

I would like to know if the inclusion of the New York converted score is simply something that Pearson includes on the Unofficial Score Report (for those taking the EPPP in a different jurisdiction but wishing to practice in New York) OR did they give me the New York State version of the test accidentally (as I live and took it in California)? Which would be a nightmare!

Any insight or help would be great!

Hi all!
I sat for the EPPP exam today and was provided (like many of you listed here) an Unofficial Score Report. I took the exam in California; so... when I reviewed the Unofficial Score Report, I was a bit thrown off by the fact that my scaled EPPP score was followed up by a line indicating that "the state of New York uses a converted version of scaled EPPP scores." It then provided me with the New York state converted score. Since my brain is absolutely fried at this point... I am reading this 2 different ways and I wanted to check with others just to make sure that I am not taking it the wrong way.

I would like to know if the inclusion of the New York converted score is simply something that Pearson includes on the Unofficial Score Report (for those taking the EPPP in a different jurisdiction but wishing to practice in New York) OR did they give me the New York State version of the test accidentally (as I live and took it in California)? Which would be a nightmare!

Any insight or help would be great!

There shouldn't actually be a NYS "version" of the test, as it's a nationally-standardized measure. It sounds like that's something they just provide to everyone who takes the exam, especially if they also gave you the non-NYS score. Just double check your email to see which state you were registered/approved through; that's where your results will be sent.

There shouldn't actually be a NYS "version" of the test, as it's a nationally-standardized measure. It sounds like that's something they just provide to everyone who takes the exam, especially if they also gave you the non-NYS score. Just double check your email to see which state you were registered/approved through; that's where your results will be sent.
Thank you! That is good to hear!

Just took the test. Got the unofficial score. I failed.:(

I need to study more!!! Too many stats questions.

Took the test yesterday and got the "unofficial score". 593, which I will gladly take!

New testing center. New system. Much better than having to wait and stress for even longer!

Anyone know the new reporting time-frame with the Pearson Vue centers?

I took my exam yesterday, (31st) and I heard they report the scores to the jurisdictions at the beginning of the month.
I also received a printout with a scaled score 558, and a converted NY score (79) but have no idea if that is passing. My significant other thinks it is, but I don't want to get my hopes up.

So sorry to hear that :( I was under the impression that stats/ research design were the smallest portion of the exam in terms of items?

It is, approximately 8% of the test is in this content area. You could argue that the assessment section will include some psychometric questions, but that would be a fairly small number of that section as well.

Anyone know the new reporting time-frame with the Pearson Vue centers?

I took my exam yesterday, (31st) and I heard they report the scores to the jurisdictions at the beginning of the month.
I also received a printout with a scaled score 558, and a converted NY score (79) but have no idea if that is passing. My significant other thinks it is, but I don't want to get my hopes up.

I just took the test on Monday (and passed, woot!). I read alot of the information needed in this thread on the ASBPP's website. IIRC, scores from Sunday-Saturday are reported to the jurisdiction the next wednesday. So for example, I took my test on Mon (13th). On the 22nd (following wednesday) the scores should be sent to the licensing board. I confirmed this with my licensing board as I didnt know if i should believe the unofficial score. She confirmed that the score wont change unless I was suspected of cheating (like, how would that even be possible in that scenario and who would even try that- ethics much?) and that it will be sent to here "soon". She didnt know the timeframe, but confirmed that the unofficial score will not be altered.

For those intrigued by the test contstuction, I read on ASBBP's website that in their new method since February, there are 4 versions of the test rotated at any one time. And the 50 of the 225 items are rotated to eventually replace the content of each of those tests. Obviously, I cant talk about the test, but I felt like the test I took didnt have nearly as much of the "big content" areas as I expected, and very few "trick" questions like the Academic Review sample online tests have had. But it did have some pretty funky, almost humorous in the "are you really asking that" sense questions related to smaller content areas. That said, the difficulty overall was much lower than I expected.

For those that are wondering about what used to pass, I speculate a lot of things can get it done. I used AATBS's books (provided by work) and old cd's (coworker) early on, and in the later months, used Academic Review online. In retrospect, I studied way too hard and too long. I should have scheduled the test 1.5 months earlier than I did, and I should have taken it 2-3 weeks earlier than I did. I really started studying in October, but my studying was drawn out due to having a pregnant wife, a full time position, and adjusting to a number of other changes.

I got my unofficial passing score last Saturday. I thought the test was easier than the practice tests with some serious softball questions, but I also perceived a high number of stats/research design questions that made me nervous. It sounds like the official score won't change. I'm not right on the line, but it was a bit closer than I would have liked, so as long as they don't adjust my score by 38 or more points, I passed.

Update: Although I didn't get confirmation of exact score, my state board just verified that I passed, so seems it's an officially unofficial score.

Update: Although I didn't get confirmation of exact score, my state board just verified that I passed, so seems it's an officially unofficial score.
Congrats!

How soon could I know if I passed after getting an unofficial score at the testing center? I took my exam last Wednesday, and my score should have been reported to the board by yesterday..I am not sure how long i should wait for a mail in or should call (whether or not the boards usually can verify the status via phone).

Immediately after the test. I haven't heard of a case (yet) where the unofficial score was different from the state board's score.