Equine version of Trisenox®?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dpj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if there was an equine version of the product Trisenox®. I have reason the believe that at one of my previous barns, this product was injected via vein into the horse's blood stream in order for a horse to let go of his/ her hair faster. Virtually taking a horse from inch long hair to microscopic fur within a week or so. I have heard several mentions of the name that it may be marketed under, "Western Horseman Sreum," but I am not exactly sure if that is what it is being labled under. If anyone has any information regarding this, please include your findings. Here is the link to where I found Trisenox®: http://www.fda.gov/cder/consumerinfo/druginfo/Trisenox.HTM

A few of the mani questions that I would like answered about this product are:

~Is it legal to own with or without a permit?
~Is it same to administer to an equine?
~Does it show up in blood/ drug tests?

I do not personally use this drug, nor any like it, but I am concerned that a barn that I was previously at did in regard to their show animals. I am very concerned and would to get to the bottom of this. Owners of this barn also have other various drugs in their possesion, many of which may require permits and/or a liscense to use. Both of which I doubt he has in his possesion.

:D Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, Trisenox is arsenic trioxide, so I doubt you can obtain it OTC. Is it possible that they were using something like Pergolide, which is used to treat Cushing's disease, and could cause shedding? I imagine that arsenic would show on a blood test, but it's hard to say whether they test for toxins or just for performance-enhancing drugs.

It may have been possible that they were using Pregolide, but I do bleive that that drug is now prohibited. I could be wrong though. Either way, none of the horse's at the barn had Cushings.

Members don't see this ad :)
Peroglide isn't prohibited. It's widely used in treatment of Cushing's. It may be prohibited for showing but I don't see why it would be. My point though was that it might be a legal, if not terribly ethical, way to make a horse shed rapidly (I don't even know if it would work; just throwing it out there). I haven't seen anything that says arsenic would make a horse lose coat though (it causes hair loss in humans, but only at toxic doses).

Seeking medical advice/likely unethical. Please discuss with your veterinarian. Closing thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.