ER or Medicine SubI as internship prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

airplanes

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, just thought I'd run this buy some of the current or past interns.

I'm currently applying for ophtho and will be doing a TY or prelim med internship next year. This spring for my school SubI requirement I have a choice of doing 4 weeks of ER or IM.

Would either be more helpful for internship? It's okay to say neither. My gut is that that IM would be more beneficial but it's going to be 6 days/week vs. 4 shifts/week in the ED. It'll be Spring of M4 so my motivation will be so very low.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends somewhat on your intern year, ER would behoove you in a TY setting....obviously medicine would be good for a prelim year. That being said, I don't feel it would make a tremendous difference either way, I (for once) wouldn't go with your gut...why do the extra work involved in a medicine rotation when ED would allow time to relax and enjoy MS4- I am sure you will be fine either way for intern year.
Another way of potentially justifying ED is you could devote more time to studying things that will be helpful in intern year- ACLS, Step 3, etc.