ER Scribe in Boston area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Brown Knight

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know or have experience with an ER Scribe job at a hospital in Boston?

Members don't see this ad.

You can do better than scribe if you're trying to work in a boston area hospital.

You can do better than scribe if you're trying to work in a boston area hospital.

I feel like scribing is the best way to get real clinical exposure and significant amount of shadowing. I've done a good bit of volunteering and EMS, but not very satisfied with it.
So what would you say is better than scribing in Boston area hospitals?

Members don't see this ad :)
CRC positions. There are millions of them here.

By CRC, I'm guessing you mean clinical research coordinator. This seems like a research position; I already have 1000+ hours in bench research (and currently doing thesis) and plan on adding a lot more in my gap year. I'm really looking for some purely clinical experience that will allow me to work ample hours. I am looking at scribing primarily for the opportunity for direct patient care and shadowing. I also feel my EMS training would help me get accustomed to the job quickly, with writing down patient history and all. Also, scribing seems to be an all-in-one package (getting clinical and shadowing experience and more in 1-2 long shifts a week), allowing me the weekdays to devote more time to research thesis.
Does CRC offer extensive clinical experience? Or are there any other jobs better than scribing in the Boston area hospitals that would offer me primarily good clinical experience?
Thanks for you input.

By CRC, I'm guessing you mean clinical research coordinator. This seems like a research position; I already have 1000+ hours in bench research (and currently doing thesis) and plan on adding a lot more in my gap year. I'm really looking for some purely clinical experience that will allow me to work ample hours. I am looking at scribing primarily for the opportunity for direct patient care and shadowing. I also feel my EMS training would help me get accustomed to the job quickly, with writing down patient history and all. Also, scribing seems to be an all-in-one package (getting clinical and shadowing experience and more in 1-2 long shifts a week), allowing me the weekdays to devote more time to research thesis.
Does CRC offer extensive clinical experience? Or are there any other jobs better than scribing in the Boston area hospitals that would offer me primarily good clinical experience?
Thanks for you input.
A lot of CRC positions involve tons of direct patient care (such as being the person to directly enroll patients into studies, following up with their treatment, etc.). Another great position would be a mental health counselor, as this involves an enormous amount of patient exposure.

These types of positions are much more valuable than a scribe job, in my opinion, because they allow you to be involved in the care of patients. As a scribe, you are simply an observer (which is valuable in its own right... but shadowing opportunities can be found in addition to a unique job).

That's great, but as a CRC in boston I recruit patients for studies, hang out and watch cases in the OR, draw blood, and interact with a ton of physicians day to day (and see patients with them when I have some downtime).

I don't really care what you do though, so if you want to be a scribe when you can get patient contact and more publications if you find a good fit, then that's good for you.

At this point, I'd suggest it's time to start doing your own homework. Find the hospitals in the area, go to their careers websites, and start looking through postings.

I'm not doing your homework for you.

I run the scribe programs at three Boston area hospitals (Beth Israel, Tufts, and another community hospital in central Mass), and I absolutely love it. Let me know if you have any questions!

I run the scribe programs at three Boston area hospitals (Beth Israel, Tufts, and another community hospital in central Mass), and I absolutely love it. Let me know if you have any questions!

Are you hiring?

I don't know if you know the answer to this, but most CRC positions I've come across require a moderate amount of previous clinical research/administrative experience... Is that just one of those things they say they want but is actually not necessary? Or am I just looking at the wrong hospitals? Or maybe I'm just simply not qualified - all my research has been basic science.

I don't know if you know the answer to this, but most CRC positions I've come across require a moderate amount of previous clinical research/administrative experience... Is that just one of those things they say they want but is actually not necessary? Or am I just looking at the wrong hospitals? Or maybe I'm just simply not qualified - all my research has been basic science.

Spin it. If you were involved in any clubs in schools, you probably have some administrative experience. Doing bench science requires as much attention to detail as CRC work does.

Big hospitals in boston area are all the partners affiliated ones (check partners careers), dana farber cancer center, beth israel, Tufts, BU, and childrens. I think the rest fall under partners. There are also smaller hospitals around, but I don't think they do much research.

Job requirements are bullcrap. If you're good enough otherwise, they'll take you. I've worked in groups that have hired CRC's and the best candidates were often not the ones with the most experience.

On the flip side, working in bench research here means that you have access to PI's that are or know doctors that work in the hospitals. It's not hard to set up shadowing experiences if you're already working in the hospital. Also, do your homework and you can sometimes email and catch a PI on a good day. Put together a compelling story and interest without being a crappy applicant and that email will end up in the 'consider' pile.

I also guarantee you that the experiences I have had in the last few years over two CRC positions would be impossible for a scribe. I just got back from giving a talk at a research conference and was the junior most person in the room talking to a group of 300 experts about research. I talk to patients almost every day, watch surgeries in the operating room, and can shadow residents/fellows on call over the weekend. I used to round on saturday/sunday morning, but waking up at 5 on the weekends was getting in the way of living my life.

Reactions: 1 users
Spin it. If you were involved in any clubs in schools, you probably have some administrative experience. Doing bench science requires as much attention to detail as CRC work does.

Big hospitals in boston area are all the partners affiliated ones (check partners careers), dana farber cancer center, beth israel, Tufts, BU, and childrens. I think the rest fall under partners. There are also smaller hospitals around, but I don't think they do much research.

Job requirements are bullcrap. If you're good enough otherwise, they'll take you. I've worked in groups that have hired CRC's and the best candidates were often not the ones with the most experience.

On the flip side, working in bench research here means that you have access to PI's that are or know doctors that work in the hospitals. It's not hard to set up shadowing experiences if you're already working in the hospital. Also, do your homework and you can sometimes email and catch a PI on a good day. Put together a compelling story and interest without being a crappy applicant and that email will end up in the 'consider' pile.

I also guarantee you that the experiences I have had in the last few years over two CRC positions would be impossible for a scribe. I just got back from giving a talk at a research conference and was the junior most person in the room talking to a group of 300 experts about research. I talk to patients almost every day, watch surgeries in the operating room, and can shadow residents/fellows on call over the weekend. I used to round on saturday/sunday morning, but waking up at 5 on the weekends was getting in the way of living my life.

That seriously sounds awesome and I can tell you really enjoy it :) Thank you very much for the information; I will definitely be taking your advice!