ERAS education section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KatieJune

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if I have to include ALL higher education institutions I attended, even if I didn't obtain a degree from them....ERAS isn't clear from what I can find.

My institutions that I attended are:
1. Freshman year at university...then transferred to school I got bachelors from...
2. spanish class in community college..which I didn't finish
3. 2 semesters in nursing school...before I decided it wasn't for me and I wanted to go to med school.

grades were fine in all cases, but it just seems like its going to bring up needless questions....am I required to list them?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm wondering if I have to include ALL higher education institutions I attended, even if I didn't obtain a degree from them....ERAS isn't clear from what I can find.

1. Freshman year at university...then transferred to school I got bachelors from...
3. 2 semesters in nursing school...before I decided it wasn't for me and I wanted to go to med school.

grades were fine in all cases, but it just seems like its going to bring up needless questions....am I required to list them?

Number 1 sounds like it should be included. Number 3 because you essentially need to account for what you were doing during that time period. Number 2, I wouldn't think needs to be included, since you didn't finish.

What if you took some summer courses at another school other than the one in which you received your degree from; does this school have to be listed in ERAS? Also, what if you participated in an abroad program, does this university also have to be listed under the Education section?

cheers,
:thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user
What if you took some summer courses at another school other than the one in which you received your degree from; does this school have to be listed in ERAS? Also, what if you participated in an abroad program, does this university also have to be listed under the Education section?

cheers,

yea, I did a visiting semester as an undergrad at the university where I now attend medical school. would i list this as a second undergrad school? my only reason for including it would be to show how i ended up here for med school, which is kind of a random choice.

I have a question about this, too.

I worked for several years between college & med school. I took 3 classes at a community college during that time (1 class / semester x 3 semesters). I don't think it really adds to my "education" in the sense of preparing me for a career in medicine, or for residency, but it does show that I wasn't just sitting around letting my brain rot away during the time I spent working? (Any thoughts?) (Maybe nobody cares about that anymore - maybe it was just more relevant when I was applying to Med School to show that I hadn't forgotten waht it was like to be a student...)
(Back when we applied to Med School - AAMCAS wanted us to enter every last little thing like this - ERAS makes no such similar statement - so I guess the don't care if we leave out a few things like this?)

What about study abroad experience in college? (1 semester) I think is *is* relevant to me as a doctor because it shows I appreciate multiculturalism/diversity (and thus, will be able to work with diverse patient populations). Again - back when we applied to med school - the AMCAS app asked that we enter the name of the foreign institution in our list of schools (which seemed wierd to me at the time, since it was a direct exchange program with my university & thus the credits I received were directly with my university - I didn't even have to "transfer" the credits in from the foreign institution). Should I use that approach again for ERAS? (It still seems wierd to me, but it would be a way to get that experience represented in my app.) Or would it be better to use one of the "miscellanous" areas in the ERAS app (like where people like hobbies, "other activities", etc.)

Thanks for your input.

I was wondering this too, because I have two educational experiences that I think are marginal. And it's really not like with amcas when you really had to put every course you took but didn't finish.

I took a chemistry course but dropped it once. Then I also took some art classes. Does anyone care now for residency? I don't mind putting them down for honesty's sake but not if they aren't necessary.

I was wondering this too, because I have two educational experiences that I think are marginal. And it's really not like with amcas when you really had to put every course you took but didn't finish.

I took a chemistry course but dropped it once. Then I also took some art classes. Does anyone care now for residency? I don't mind putting them down for honesty's sake but not if they aren't necessary.

I also am wondering this. In high school, I took two classes for HS credit, which had to be reported on AMCAS even though I didn't transfer the units toward my undergrad degree. I don't see the difference it would make in anything. I just don't want to bother this time around, but I would do it if it's required. The instructions don't seem to specify either way.

I would list it if:
1) you completed at least 1 semester of higher education, or
2) it shows something that you think is important to your application, or
3) you had some problem -- failed out, terminated, etc.

Based on those rules, #1 is listed, #2 is not (unless you "failed out"), and #3 might be included, because you might want to talk about why you dropped out of RN school for MD school.

cheers,

If it's just a few courses, I would only list it if it is germain to your application.

yea, I did a visiting semester as an undergrad at the university where I now attend medical school. would i list this as a second undergrad school? my only reason for including it would be to show how i ended up here for med school, which is kind of a random choice.

If this was an established exchange program where the credits appear on your transcript, then I don't think you'd need to list it separately, again unless you think it strengthens your application.

I worked for several years between college & med school. I took 3 classes at a community college during that time (1 class / semester x 3 semesters). I don't think it really adds to my "education" in the sense of preparing me for a career in medicine, or for residency, but it does show that I wasn't just sitting around letting my brain rot away during the time I spent working? (Any thoughts?) (Maybe nobody cares about that anymore - maybe it was just more relevant when I was applying to Med School to show that I hadn't forgotten waht it was like to be a student...)
(Back when we applied to Med School - AAMCAS wanted us to enter every last little thing like this - ERAS makes no such similar statement - so I guess the don't care if we leave out a few things like this?)

What about study abroad experience in college? (1 semester) I think is *is* relevant to me as a doctor because it shows I appreciate multiculturalism/diversity (and thus, will be able to work with diverse patient populations). Again - back when we applied to med school - the AMCAS app asked that we enter the name of the foreign institution in our list of schools (which seemed wierd to me at the time, since it was a direct exchange program with my university & thus the credits I received were directly with my university - I didn't even have to "transfer" the credits in from the foreign institution). Should I use that approach again for ERAS? (It still seems wierd to me, but it would be a way to get that experience represented in my app.) Or would it be better to use one of the "miscellanous" areas in the ERAS app (like where people like hobbies, "other activities", etc.)

Thanks for your input.

Again, none of this needs to be listed explicitly in the education section.

Not necessary.

I also am wondering this. In high school, I took two classes for HS credit, which had to be reported on AMCAS even though I didn't transfer the units toward my undergrad degree. I don't see the difference it would make in anything. I just don't want to bother this time around, but I would do it if it's required. The instructions don't seem to specify either way.

High School? ERAS specifically only asks for higher education. Don;t list this. (Note: I think you meant to say you took two courses in high school for college credit. Anyway, don't list that either)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin

Again, none of this needs to be listed explicitly in the education section.

APD,

From a chronology perspective, would this not create "gaps" in this applicant's application? I was under the impression this can raise red flags in your application and get it thrown into a reject bin?

-tx

APD,

From a chronology perspective, would this not create "gaps" in this applicant's application? I was under the impression this can raise red flags in your application and get it thrown into a reject bin?

-tx

Most PD's will only care about gaps post medical school. What you did beforehand is, well, kinda irrelevant. I say that in the nicest way possible. :rolleyes:

And, I think the OP mentioned that they were in school and working at the same time, so there really is no gap -- the working is likely to be listed.

Should I enter my medical school twice on my CAF, once under "Medical Education" and once under "Education: Undergraduate and Graduate"? Seems redundant to me.

Most PD's will only care about gaps post medical school. What you did beforehand is, well, kinda irrelevant. I say that in the nicest way possible. :rolleyes:

And, I think the OP mentioned that they were in school and working at the same time, so there really is no gap -- the working is likely to be listed.

Are you referring to Leaves of Absence during medical school as far as which gaps PDs are worried about? Or did you mean to say most PDs will only care about gaps post-undergrad?

Are you referring to Leaves of Absence during medical school as far as which gaps PDs are worried about? Or did you mean to say most PDs will only care about gaps post-undergrad?

PDs care about:

1) gaps in your medical education (ie, leave of absence during medical school - as a matter of fact, you will *always* have to list this when apply for licenses, hospital credentials, insurance provider)

2) gaps between medical school and residency

3) gaps during residency

Gaps before medical school are not particularly of interest unless you were in prison or some other reason that my prevent you from getting a medical license.

Realize I'm resurrecting a 7 y/o thread but would appreciate feedback since I'm about to submit my application for away rotations and eventually ERAS for a competitive surgical specialty. Background: I'm a non-trad with a prior career who started a graduate school program immediately after college (not medicine), dropped out after 1 semester to take a full time job I felt would be a better fit at the time, and eventually made my way to medicine several years later. Do I need to list the graduate program I attended prior to med school in ERAS/on my CV? While it is an easy explanation to anyone in my former field, since entering academia it's been a constant problem to explain why I dropped out and I'm concerned will get my app thrown in the trash before I ever get to the interview stage. Otherwise my app is strong with multiple years of research/pubs, 250+ step 1, good clinical grades etc.

Reactions: 1 user
That's the AMCAS (med school) instruction manual, not the ERAS (residency) one.

Yikes. Sorry, OP. Don't have time now, but I'm sure there are, in fact, instructions.

Realize I'm resurrecting a 7 y/o thread but would appreciate feedback since I'm about to submit my application for away rotations and eventually ERAS for a competitive surgical specialty. Background: I'm a non-trad with a prior career who started a graduate school program immediately after college (not medicine), dropped out after 1 semester to take a full time job I felt would be a better fit at the time, and eventually made my way to medicine several years later. Do I need to list the graduate program I attended prior to med school in ERAS/on my CV? While it is an easy explanation to anyone in my former field, since entering academia it's been a constant problem to explain why I dropped out and I'm concerned will get my app thrown in the trash before I ever get to the interview stage. Otherwise my app is strong with multiple years of research/pubs, 250+ step 1, good clinical grades etc.
I don't see what there is to be ashamed of/worried about with dropping out of a grad program and then finding a different path. Not everyone was born knowing what they wanted to do and sometimes it takes some exploration. This could be a very interesting topic to discuss during your interviews if you spin it the right way.

I don't see what there is to be ashamed of/worried about with dropping out of a grad program and then finding a different path. Not everyone was born knowing what they wanted to do and sometimes it takes some exploration. This could be a very interesting topic to discuss during your interviews if you spin it the right way.

I actually think the same way but it's been a challenge with questions along the lines of "you've already changed your path twice in your life [i.e. grad school to prior full time job to med school], why wouldn't I think you'll do so a third time while in residency?" or "even if you do finish residency, what's to make me think you'll actually stick with the field in the long run?" It can be frustrating as the decision is very logical when explained and choices most of us make in college are often very different from the choices we would make 10+ years later if faced with similar circumstances.

As for directions, ERAS does provide a pdf, the "MyERAS Residency User Guide 2015" but only states "Education: allows entries for undergraduate and graduate school(s) attended." and doesn't provide the kind of specifics that the AMCAS guide provides, which is why I was looking for some feedback ideally from someone who has reviewed applications recently.

I actually think the same way but it's been a challenge with questions along the lines of "you've already changed your path twice in your life [i.e. grad school to prior full time job to med school], why wouldn't I think you'll do so a third time while in residency?" or "even if you do finish residency, what's to make me think you'll actually stick with the field in the long run?" It can be frustrating as the decision is very logical when explained and choices most of us make in college are often very different from the choices we would make 10+ years later if faced with similar circumstances.

I think you're probably overthinking this. I know a few people who have had massive career changes, and they're doing fine in their chosen fields now. Unless someone has already asked you these questions, I don't think they're going to be at the forefront of people's minds during interview season.

But I defer to our wonderful surgical residents/administration if they have a different opinion.

I think you're probably overthinking this. I know a few people who have had massive career changes, and they're doing fine in their chosen fields now. Unless someone has already asked you these questions, I don't think they're going to be at the forefront of people's minds during interview season.

But I defer to our wonderful surgical residents/administration if they have a different opinion.

Appreciate the feedback. I have actually had versions of those questions asked of me when I started looking into this field and I'm just hoping it's not going to keep me from doing aways/matching. I'll find out soon enough though once I send out my apps to the first few programs for sub-I's.