ERAS insanity begins.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nacholibre

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ERAS is here. I thought I'd start a thread for all of us MS4's seek wisdom and knowledge to be bestowed upon us by those who will have the taxing task of reading what we write.

If you are a regular reader/contributor, let's try and keep our questions on this thread for easy access.

And as always - make sure you search the forum for at least a couple of minutes for an answer before you ask.

Now for the questions -

In the experiences section when listing 'research experience' can each project under one PI or in one lab be listed separately. I have 2 PI's with whom I've done 3 distinct projects with (i.e. they will all be published separately and are not at all related in subject)??

Members don't see this ad.

This is terrifying. My school had such a crappy match last year (1/4, 2 AOA unmatched). I've been working my butt off for three years, but I'm going to be a wreck until March 2014.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nacho - As long as the projects are substantial, (ie one project wasn't cleaning up the cell culture room), they should be listed separately. If the PI says the projects are all going to be published, I think that is your measuring stick.

Good luck to all of you! Remember there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Although the tunnel may seem like miles long, trust me, it's closer than you think :). Keep you head up high.

How detailed a description should be given for research experiences on ERAS? I am assuming like all things, brevity is appreciated, but as an attending do you want me to spend time describing. I have quite a few of them, so I was thinking just to do something like this

#1 - Title of first potential publication from this experience
- Cross-sectional study of disease X. I wrote the IRB, collected clinical data, and drafted the manuscript

#2 - Title of 2nd potential publication " " "
- randomized, controlled clinical trial of disease X. I revised the IRB, performed lit. review, performed chart review, did poop magnification testing and revised the manuscript

Is that close to on track?

Will dropping from a 260 on step 1 to a 235 on step 2 look bad. It hasn't happened yet, but I am seriously considering not studying for step 2 and finishing up a bunch of research loose ends. Would this keep you from interviewing me, and if not, would me explaining that I researched instead of studied be a reasonable response.

I'm also considering taking the test in December (my school's deadline) when I have a bit more time to study. But I'm worried that I might have forgotten a ton by then and am wondering how much a bad score in January would affect the rank list??

Thoughts??

Take it in Dec. no one will look at your score if it's not in your original packet. It's easier and you will do well if you made 260 on step 1. Take some slow breaths and don't over think this thing.

puke.gif

K, meeting is over, ya lazy bums. Let's make with the interviews.