ERAS photo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMasochist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There isn't really that much info on what to do with photo for ERAS and I'm a bit confused:

1. Do we upload the photo ourselves to ERAS (and how) or do we give it to our Medical School for them to upload it?
2. If we do upload it ourselves, what is the size limit for the photo (in kb,mb)?
3. Should I get the photo professionally made?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My school uploads it for us. I'm not sure what the file size limit is, but our school says it must be 2.5x3.5 inches or smaller.

I got mine professionally done, but the school gives the option of using your school photo, if you want.

If you don't use a professional photo, at least use something tasteful. A pic you take yourself with your phone, arms outstretched, with a table covered with empty beer bottles in the background = not a good idea.

FYI, make sure you're happy with your picture, as it may well follow you around. I found mine plastered all over the walls in my department on a "Check out our new interns" type flyer, it was used for our roster photos, and it was even used for my badge!

I can't find any professional place that does 2.5x3.5 inch photos. I have tried JCPenney's and local photo studios. Also how much are you paying for these pics? Lastly, do we send those pictures to our school for them to upload?

FYI, make sure you're happy with your picture, as it may well follow you around. I found mine plastered all over the walls in my department on a "Check out our new interns" type flyer, it was used for our roster photos, and it was even used for my badge!

This.

OP, you can use a passport photo. Just scan it in and attach yourself.

What if you take a picture in your current white coat and business casual for those who are reapplying (like clinic attire)? Does it matter. Do I have to get into a suit?

We were discouraged from wearing white coats. Suit seems overkill, dress shirt and tie should do.

Why would a suit be overkill? You're already getting dressed and its not like its dramatically more effort to put on a jacket. Actually asking, not being sarcastic.

Why would a suit be overkill? You're already getting dressed and its not like its dramatically more effort to put on a jacket. Actually asking, not being sarcastic.

I guess I don't have a good answer. I would say that the picture should reflect what you would wear while at the job, and residents don't wear suits, but I really don't think it could be used against you. Some get graduation photos of them in a suit, so if you use the same one, I don't see why that would be a problem.

At our school, they told us we could call the people that do photos for the school and hospital IDs to take the pic. They know the requirements, and will send the photo to the dean's office themselves. I don't know if other places have a similar option.

Silly question, but how do we upload the photo onto ERAS? I've been trying for days now and can't figure out where on the site to do it.

Silly question, but how do we upload the photo onto ERAS? I've been trying for days now and can't figure out where on the site to do it.

My school uploaded a professional photo they took for us, but they said if we wanted to use a diff one to get a jpg of it and send it to the school ERAS coordinator, who would then reupload it.

I know for IMGs, we need to upload to ECFMG who attach to the ERAS application. So I am assuming for AMGs it should be their dean's office. I am not too sure though.

I think aPD once mentioned that someone sent a picture of them hiking and that was a source of discussion during interviews. I was thinking of sending a photo of me standing in front of a nice forest, but its not a very professional look.

Might be overthinking it, but is not wearing dressy in the picture frowned upon?

I don't think suits are overkill since that's what you're wearing to the interview anyway. As far as I know the purpose of the photo is so they can remember who you were after the interview. Why not make it as close as possible to how you will look when you meet them in person?

My Dean's Office uploads our photos. Is there a place on ERAS we can check what the photo looks like and/or verify it's actually there before we submit the app?

My Dean's Office uploads our photos. Is there a place on ERAS we can check what the photo looks like and/or verify it's actually there before we submit the app?

Bumping...I have the same question about tracking the photo.

When I try to apply to a program, I am able to "check-mark" a Photo. On the other hand, non-uploaded letters of recommendation are "Grayed out." This makes me think my Dean's office already uploaded the photo...but not sure.

so, is a professional black and white photo ok? Also, is it ok if I'm leaning to one side vs center/vertical? Kind of like the attached picture, but closer up.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• headshot.jpg
    headshot.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 165
so, is a professional black and white photo ok? Also, is it ok if I'm leaning to one side vs center/vertical? Kind of like the attached picture, but closer up.

Thanks!!
A color photo would be better.

Reactions: 1 user
My ERAS photo was shot by my roommate in front of a blank beige wall in our apartment. I have used it for everything requiring a photo of me since then, from a new passport to my current hospital ID. Good thing I don't age.

Reactions: 2 users
Like 22031 Alum I also used a photo shot by my roommate in front of a blank white wall in our apartment for ERAS. It was perfectly fine. Your photo does not need to be taken by a professional but it does need to LOOK professional (ie. decent megapixels, business casual/professional clothing and generic headshot pose).

As others have said, don't do black and white, don't do a weird pose, don't add any props, and don't overly photoshop it. Just get a normal professional, color, picture. No one is going to rank you higher based on a picture, just try to be a normal person.

During all stages of applying/interview it is good to repeat this in your head "what would a normal person do?" and then do whatever you think that is.

During all stages of applying/interview it is good to repeat this in your head "what would a normal person do?" and then do whatever you think that is.
But then how would we have stories to post in the SDN "Whats the best/worst/weirdest" interview season threads?

Reactions: 1 user
wait why is a white coat a bad thing?

I used a picture of me shotgunning 2 miller high lifes.

this isn't tinder. Just add a photo that looks like you.

wait why is a white coat a bad thing?

I don't think it's terrible, since a lot of people just use the picture they took for their hospital ID. But if you're taking a new picture it's unnecessary. The white coat is kind of an identifier in clinical environments, but everybody looking at your ERAS app already knows you're a medical student. Just wear something professional.

Now, a stethoscope around the neck? That's terrible and I will reject you.

Reactions: 1 users