ERAS Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
G

gunnerdoc

Hello everyone! I'm putting the finishing touches on my ERAS applications before the September 15th date. As I was going through, I had a few additional questions that I hoped you'd be able to answer.

Higher Education
I listed my undergraduate institution. Is it necessary to list all undergraduate institutions (mainly community college) that I have attended, even if it's only for a class or two? I remember doing it for AMCAS applications.

Membership in Honorary/Professional Societies
I assume AOA/SSP/GGHS count. Are there any other examples of professional societies that you know of? Does membership in the American Psychiatric Association and other such organizations count?

Experiences?
Is there a starting point? Do HS experiences count? College experiences? Or is it medical school only? Are there experiences that are always relevant?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. I would recommend listing all undergraduate experience you have, even if just for a class or two. But others may disagree, so it's probably not a big deal either way.
2. If you pay to join, don't list it. It should be something you earn.
3. Unlike for higher education, here you can pick and choose. Don't feel like you need to list every experience -- in fact, if you list too many, I'll end up just skimming the list. Pick those that you are the most proud of. Things in HS can be listed, but they should be important and relevant.
4. If it's listed in your MSPE, you should list it in your application. There's a description box, simply state that you took a 1 month LOA to study for Step 1. No further explanation is needed.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for your reply! Just who I was hoping would answer!
1. I figured it was best to have it than to not have it, so I have done so.
3. I figured that was the right thing to do too - I listed the ones in medical school, and the important work/volunteer/research ones from before then.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this,:shrug:
I have two US LORs released in my ERAS account, the third one has been uploaded(last Friday) but not released yet.
Do I submit my incomplete application with 2 US LORs and upload the third one when available( Support desk said it could take a couple more days-should be done by Monday)
Or wait till Monday and submit all applications then.
I do have 2 Indian LORs that I could select from for my third LOR.
I am expecting two US LORs in October, so I did not want to waste the third LOR slot.

I am an IMG, they say programs may not bother to download more applications after the 15th as they will have thousands to process. :help:

In my ERAS application: Under which tab can I mention online certificate courses in Clinical Research Methodology & Programming.
Thanks!

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this,:shrug:
I have two US LORs released in my ERAS account, the third one has been uploaded(last Friday) but not released yet.
Do I submit my incomplete application with 2 US LORs and upload the third one when available( Support desk said it could take a couple more days-should be done by Monday)
Or wait till Monday and submit all applications then.
I do have 2 Indian LORs that I could select from for my third LOR.
I am expecting two US LORs in October, so I did not want to waste the third LOR slot.

I am an IMG, they say programs may not bother to download more applications after the 15th as they will have thousands to process. :help:

There is no downloading. This is a thing of the past. Evrything is online now and instantly available.

In general, I would apply today/tomorrow, and then add letters as they become available. US letters are much more useful than non-US letters. I would apply, add the third letter when available, and then save the 4th slot for a US letter when available in October.

In my ERAS application: Under which tab can I mention online certificate courses in Clinical Research Methodology & Programming.
Thanks!

Several options:
You can list them as a volunteer experience.
You could list them under "Other awards / accomplishments"

Reactions: 1 user
I just have a quick question. Do we list all of our medical school clinical electives under "Experiences" on ERAS? I have about 20 clinical electives, do all of these go here? Or do I only add relevant electives to the specialty to which I am applying? Otherwise I see no where else to add my clinical electives besides my CV.

Thanks in advance.

In general, you do NOT list your clinical electives as "experiences" on ERAS. They will be on your transcript, and included in your MSPE. The important ones will generate LOR's. Everyone expects you to do clinical work in your 4th year.

The exception is for IMG's from non-carib schools who do 4th year rotations as US programs. In that specific case, it's worth listing those rotations (usually not more than 2-3) as an experience to highlight it.

IMG's at carib schools where the entire 3-4th year is in the US, again, would not list clinical electives as experiences.

In general, you do NOT list your clinical electives as "experiences" on ERAS. They will be on your transcript, and included in your MSPE. The important ones will generate LOR's. Everyone expects you to do clinical work in your 4th year.

The exception is for IMG's from non-carib schools who do 4th year rotations as US programs. In that specific case, it's worth listing those rotations (usually not more than 2-3) as an experience to highlight it.

IMG's at carib schools where the entire 3-4th year is in the US, again, would not list clinical electives as experiences.

CARIBB IMG, I was confuse about it as well but our clinical dean strongly advised all students to list clinical rotations under work experience.

Your clinical dean is being ridiculous.

Agreed, it would add completely useless fluff which would be instantly discarded in your application. Every medical student does clinical rotations - why should yours be considered different?

This is meant for actual jobs. Work in a research lab? Lifeguard? Clinical coordinator? Basically - did you get a paycheck?

Don't feel bad if this section is thin, there are several applicants who went straight through college/med school with minimal to no work experience.

This relates to my thread that I posted.

When I was a medical student (IMG), I listed my electives under work experience, since on our medical school transcript didn't list the electives we did in the U.S.

So now I'm in the same boat for fellowship. I've done a couple pain electives, so should I include that under work experience? Otherwise pain PDs aren't gonna know I have any pain experience (apart from me mentionning them in the personal statement, which I'm not even sure PDs will thoroughly read).

Still the same answer. Address it in your PS and have a letter from the electives which decidedly are not work experience.

This relates to my thread that I posted.

When I was a medical student (IMG), I listed my electives under work experience, since on our medical school transcript didn't list the electives we did in the U.S.

So now I'm in the same boat for fellowship. I've done a couple pain electives, so should I include that under work experience? Otherwise pain PDs aren't gonna know I have any pain experience (apart from me mentionning them in the personal statement, which I'm not even sure PDs will thoroughly read).

That's what interviews are for... not to mention, LORs, etc. if you didn't have any experience, you wouldn't have a very good answer to 'why pain'.

Third year US med student here. I have a question about LoR on ERAS. When I add a letter author online, what happens if I confirm but the preceptor ends up not writing the letter by some unfortunate chance? (I love my preceptor but he says he's too old and HATES computer work..)

The pop up window says I won't be able to delete the letter author entry so I'm just making sure. I want to be able to confirm it so I can get to the upload instruction page to give to my preceptor. Thank you in advance!

Third year US med student here. I have a question about LoR on ERAS. When I add a letter author online, what happens if I confirm but the preceptor ends up not writing the letter by some unfortunate chance? (I love my preceptor but he says he's too old and HATES computer work..)

The pop up window says I won't be able to delete the letter author entry so I'm just making sure. I want to be able to confirm it so I can get to the upload instruction page to give to my preceptor. Thank you in advance!
You can upload as many LORs as you want. So, if this writer fails to follow through, it will be irrelevant, as long as you have enough other LORs.

Programs won't know that he flaked on you. And you won't be penalized for it. You can upload 100 LORs to ERAS, the limit is only what you can assign to each program.

A bit of a caveat related to this LOR specifically...if he's so old/out of touch that he doesn't really know how to write a LOR, you probably don't want one from him anyway.

For better or (mostly) worse, writing LORs is a bit of a game. Don't count on a LOR from someone who, not only doesn't know how to play the game, but isn't even aware that there's a game on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You can upload as many LORs as you want. So, if this writer fails to follow through, it will be irrelevant, as long as you have enough other LORs.

Programs won't know that he flaked on you. And you won't be penalized for it. You can upload 100 LORs to ERAS, the limit is only what you can assign to each program.

A bit of a caveat related to this LOR specifically...if he's so old/out of touch that he doesn't really know how to write a LOR, you probably don't want one from him anyway.

For better or (mostly) worse, writing LORs is a bit of a game. Don't count on a LOR from someone who, not only doesn't know how to play the game, but isn't even aware that there's a game on.

Thank you @gutonc ! I guess I'll ask since it doesn't hurt and see if he comes up coming through.