ERAS - Work Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ceusina

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I list ALL jobs I held during/after college? Or only medically relevant things?

I plan on including my 2 years as a medical assistant and 1 year as an EMT.

But, I also worked at least 20 hours per week throughout college doing different jobs (Bookseller at a major chain store, concession stand vendor (glamorous, I know), summer lifeguard). Do I include these unrelated jobs?

I just checked out the Charting Outcomes document and for the specialty I'm interested in (surgery), the average matched applicant had 3 or more work experiences. I honestly know very few medical students with even one "real" job in the medical field before/during medical school. Is it safe to assume that they included other, unrelated, jobs? Should I?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently filling out my ERAS and had the same questions. Do I include everything that is currently on my CV which includes my 13 years of work history after college, as well as a job I held at the end of college?? I also had a lot of volunteering before medical school which is also in my CV... Anyone have any insight on this? @gutonc??

I'm not. I did a bunch of tutoring and TAing in college and I'm not including any of it. The only stuff I'm including is main research project which got a poster and abstract, etc.

I have a job that I held for 6 weeks before I started medical school. I have not included it on my CV/Resume, but I'm wondering if there's any legal requirement that says I have to? Main reason I ask is it was with a hospital that I am applying to for residency. The program is sponsored from a university, not the hospital... any thoughts on if I must include it?

I have a job that I held for 6 weeks before I started medical school. I have not included it on my CV/Resume, but I'm wondering if there's any legal requirement that says I have to? Main reason I ask is it was with a hospital that I am applying to for residency. The program is sponsored from a university, not the hospital... any thoughts on if I must include it?
You are not required to include anything you don't want.
Extended unexplained periods of time are a red flag, though.

Medically relevant jobs, only.
Make it easy for us to find the good stuff.

Gyngyn, I'm a non traditional medical graduate, decided to pursue medicine after 6 years out of receiving my undergrad degree. Should I list my activities in between this time?