Error in BRS physiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Concubine

PDE5 inhibited
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the renal chapter, it says glucose spills into urine only with plasma concentrations over 250-350 mg/dL (4th edition page 160). I have in my notes from class & reinforced with some quick checking on the internet that it is 180 mg/dL. Can anyone clarify this for me?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

As I remember it, glucose begins to spill into blood around 200, but the reabsorption mechanism is not saturated until 350-400.

As I remember it, glucose begins to spill into blood around 200, but the reabsorption mechanism is not saturated until 350-400.
If I remember correctly, BRS calls this phenomenon "splay" and attributes it to the heterogeneity of the transporters.

That said, there is not a boards-style question that would require you to know whether glucose transporters in the PCT are insufficient at 180 vs 220 mg/dL. If you're studying for class, use class notes. If by chance you're studying for step 1, put away the class notes and focus on the core FA+RR+BRS+UW.