ESI how soon after surgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nwbgn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, just wanted to ask your opinion and experience on how soon after spine surgery you would consider doing an ESI? I have had some requests for ESI from surgeons ranging from 2 days to 2 weeks post-op due to severe radicular pain (no red flags otherwise) after surgery. The requests have been very few and far between, and are coming from conservative well-established spine surgeons I have worked with, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Got call to do TFESI day of surgery for purple nerve root. Did it the next day. Why did they not just drop on depo while they were open?

Reactions: 1 users
Got call to do TFESI day of surgery for purple nerve root. Did it the next day. Why did they not just drop on depo while they were open?
a lot of surgeons love dropping in some morphine, steroids, and local. gets them out of the hospital, and feeling so good for a few weeks. then reality sets in.....

Reactions: 1 user

Good question, though in the past I have heard of some surgeons laying down some steroid on the nerve root before they close up.

Regarding injection soon or right after surgery, I guess I am concerned about risk of infection due to re-entering a recent surgical site and injecting steroid in there. Anybody else able to share their thoughts / experiences?