Esmolol for sepsis.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ok right, i think i established that for me i would use a baseline of norepi/vaso/steroids, trying not to go above 30 on NE and 0.06 U/min on vaso. If im still vasoplegic after steroids id consider methylene (especially for post-CPB vasoplegia) but also would consider neo instead of low dose epi, because its beta effect will promote tachycardia and vasodilation at low doses. i also have seen neo help in cases where NE was rapidly uptitrating. I cant explain why it would work, but I also cant remark on the physiology of every alpha-adrenoceptor in the body.

I suppose following that, Id titrate everything up and add high dose epi, but what i will sometimes see that concerns me is a patient on norepi monotherapy at a dose of 50-60mcg/min. my concern with this paper is that it seems like their SOC is to do just that

Members don't see this ad.

But is there a clinical situation you would add neo to Levo instead of adding vaso to Levo? If you need more vasoconstriction for a vasodilatiory or septic shock, vaso would be better. If you need more CO, Epi would be better. I can't see a situation where I would add a weak alpha agonist like neo to a potent alpha agonist like Levo already bound to most of my alpha receptors instead of adding a far more potent Epi or vaso (depending on the shock source) and hitting different receptors. Enlighten me if I am incorrect.

i keep an open mind and i would consider anything. constant reassessment and intervention is usually required in these patients and if something works, it works. i dont think adding 200mcg/min of phenylephrine to my mix above carries significant risk, and it may work. if i someday have to go to 40 of norepi then so be it but i feel less comfortable just ratcheting that dose up without considering a ceiling of sorts.,

But is there a clinical situation you would add neo to Levo instead of adding vaso to Levo? If you need more vasoconstriction for a vasodilatiory or septic shock, vaso would be better. If you need more CO, Epi would be better. I can't see a situation where I would add a weak alpha agonist like neo to a potent alpha agonist like Levo already bound to most of my alpha receptors instead of adding a far more potent Epi or vaso (depending on the shock source) and hitting different receptors. Enlighten me if I am incorrect.

Enlighten me to data that says there is any single way to manage pressors. My typical progression is levo-->vaso--->Neo--->epi--->dobutamine/steroids-> prayer

If your hospital has a "max" Levo, you can get more alpha response out of Neo.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd have to see it to believe it.

I use to do it all the time. As a first year fellow the ICU "maxed" :smack: Levo at 20mcg/min, so that'd leave lots of people still hypotensive. So then we'd add Neo, then Vaso then epi. Which SSC does not recommend using Neo for sepsis

Last edited:
i add steroids early typically before i max out two pressors. are others using it as a hail mary?

I suppose one shouldn't die of distributed shock without starting steroid, but the mechanism of action isn't such that I'd ever think of them as something to reach for acutely. They'll either help over the course of the next few hours or they will not.

i disagree, it suggests they not be used routinely. if ive reached two high dose pressors and am still hypotensive, then "aggressive fluid replacement and vasopressor therapy" is deemed to have failed, IMHO.

I use to do it all the time. As a first year fellow the ICU "maxed" :smack: Levo at 20mcg/min, so that'd leave lots of people still hypotensive. So then we'd add Neo, then Vaso then epi. Which SSC does not recommend using Neo for sepsis

Well. Of course if you "max" at 20 of norepinephrine, neo is going to give you more alpha.

i disagree, it suggests they not be used routinely. if ive reached two high dose pressors and am still hypotensive, then "aggressive fluid replacement and vasopressor therapy" is deemed to have failed, IMHO.

I don't give them until I'm on high dose Levo, Vaso, and titrating up on epi, and many times I'll throw on dobutamine before I give steroids. It's uncommon that I need to add steroids on top of IVF and the big three

Members don't see this ad :)

well, not exactly...

7. Phenylephrine is not recommended in the treatment of septic shock except in circumstances where (a) norepinephrine is
associated with serious arrhythmias, (b) cardiac output is known to be high and blood pressure persistently low or (c) as salvage
therapy when combined inotrope/vasopressor drugs and low dose vasopressin have failed to achieve MAP target (grade 1C).

that seems like most of my sepsis/vasoplegia patients.

oh do you think the entirety of the human response to IV corticosteroid has been defined?

Sounds like an argument from ignorance? What I do know is that the glucocorticoid receptor is in the nucleus and effects transcription. This will give you a delay in time from giving the drug to real action. Are you aware of a mechanism whereby glucocorticoids immediately effect vascular tone?

well, not exactly...

7. Phenylephrine is not recommended in the treatment of septic shock except in circumstances where (a) norepinephrine is
associated with serious arrhythmias, (b) cardiac output is known to be high and blood pressure persistently low or (c) as salvage
therapy when combined inotrope/vasopressor drugs and low dose vasopressin have failed to achieve MAP target (grade 1C).

that seems like most of my sepsis/vasoplegia patients.

You meab the guys still telling me to use CVP?

Look SSC means well but you have to take a lot of it with the expert opinion grain of salt that it is. You are NOT a "bad doctor" using any combinations of the drugs we are talking about as long as you've got a rationale (and I also suppose as long your use of the medications does not directly kill anyone simply by their use). No one in here can say to anyone else with any good evidence, "you are wrong!!" about any pressor agent strategy you want to use if you find your map goals and are improve your resuscitation endpoints, outside of perhaps starting with dopamine (some might even argue using dopamine ever is a bad idea now).

I think, and this is really only my opinion, though I think an informed one, and after all my time in the trenches I think I have a right to this opinion as more than just "nosense".

No offense intended, I like these discussions. I don't feel like anyone is criticizing anyone else's practice strategies (certainly not my intent). I'm not ignorant of the textbook mechanism of steroids, but I also don't think that I (or anyone) knows the full extent of their action. There are cytosolic receptors and there is evidence to suggest a collaborative effect with catecholamines.

I feel like nobody really knows much other than it is agreed that dopa doesn't really help much. ( on an unrelated note I have never really understood the rationale behind using dopa in a peripheral IV while waiting for tlc/if there is no central line,I mean if you are worried about necrosis due to infiltration with levophed surely dopamine will do the same )

I have been taught/become used to starting with levophed and going up to 30 mcgs, then adding vaso at 0.04 (no titrating) and then adding steroid usually and very rarely do I use/ have seen epi with the general feeling that if you have to use epi unfortunately there is not much hope left.

The VASST trial was a weird in that "RETROSPECTIVELY" the patients who got vaso with smaller doses of norepi had a mortality benefit. This is hypothesis generating, but nothing more probably. Still I use vasopressin early on in sepsis, it inhibits potassium channels, reduce iNOS and has some anti-inflammatory effects. The one problem is saying I do the same thing in each patient. Some patients I know are getting better and need a little norepi for a day, some I know are getting worse or will get worse and I add vasopressin early on. I usually do not get to 10 of levo without having vaso on. I almost never add phenylephrine to norepi, but sometimes will switch to epinephrine. In this H1N1 epidemic (we have 6 or so patients H1N1 with ARDS currently in ICU) and 5/6 have severe RV dysfunction . We have been using (don't kill me) iNO and dobutamine or epi +/- milrinone depending on renal function. I don't know if I am right, and probably 10 people on here could call me crazy, but there isn't a huge amount of literature to guide us one way or another.

The VASST trial was a weird in that "RETROSPECTIVELY" the patients who got vaso with smaller doses of norepi had a mortality benefit. This is hypothesis generating, but nothing more probably. Still I use vasopressin early on in sepsis, it inhibits potassium channels, reduce iNOS and has some anti-inflammatory effects. The one problem is saying I do the same thing in each patient. Some patients I know are getting better and need a little norepi for a day, some I know are getting worse or will get worse and I add vasopressin early on. I usually do not get to 10 of levo without having vaso on. I almost never add phenylephrine to norepi, but sometimes will switch to epinephrine. In this H1N1 epidemic (we have 6 or so patients H1N1 with ARDS currently in ICU) and 5/6 have severe RV dysfunction . We have been using (don't kill me) iNO and dobutamine or epi +/- milrinone depending on renal function. I don't know if I am right, and probably 10 people on here could call me crazy, but there isn't a huge amount of literature to guide us one way or another.

All ARDS is going to have some to a lot of RV dysfunction and you're going to be using the inhaled vasodilator (I prefer flolan) but I'd personally not flog the RV unless I had good evidence missing resuscitation goals because of deceased cardiac output.

No one is "wrong" that's simply the way Id approach the situation.

yeah i tend to agree with jdh. the europeans are using NO fairly routinely in ARDS, but my understanding is that it worsens outcomes, so I really never go to it unless i really need RV support (after two inotropes and flolan)

i think with echo evidence of RV dysfunction but stable BP and perfusion indices, it becomes murkier as to whether or not to work the heart further, id probably just sit on it unless perfusion/hemdynamics were an issue. or consider V-V ECMO earlier

Most will have Rv dysfunction with increased PVR, less will have RV failure as evidenced by poor perfusion, empty LV, high PA pressures with a ****ty step up if you put in PAC. All of these patients I'm talking about are missing resuscitation goals (elevated lactates, poor CO, hypotension) and then the question is what do you do? We do ECMO, but it becomes triagable since we were canceling CV surgery cases because we didn't have enough perfusionists (they are required to run V-V ECMO at my center, I know other centers have nurses running the circuit.) So if ECMO is out, evidence of RV failure what do you do other than pray?

Most will have Rv dysfunction with increased PVR, less will have RV failure as evidenced by poor perfusion, empty LV, high PA pressures with a ****** step up if you put in PAC. All of these patients I'm talking about are missing resuscitation goals (elevated lactates, poor CO, hypotension) and then the question is what do you do? We do ECMO, but it becomes triagable since we were canceling CV surgery cases because we didn't have enough perfusionists (they are required to run V-V ECMO at my center, I know other centers have nurses running the circuit.) So if ECMO is out, evidence of RV failure what do you do other than pray?

You treat it like you would RV failure, and I think your iNO makes sense in that scenario as a form of RV preservation. I've seen cases of vasoplegia where the LV is completely empty and the RV is full and looks like it's struggling. I think that maybe the RV can struggle when the LV doesn't get full enough to have a typical contraction...I don't know if increasing pressors would be helpful, vasopressin should help if not on already, but sounds like treatment of RV dysfunction begins to supersede treatment of pulmonary dysfunction. You would like to have a ECMO available before that happens, but I understand the restrictions.

All of these patients I'm talking about are missing resuscitation goals (elevated lactates, poor CO, hypotension) and then the question is what do you do?

you flog the RV of course

and I'd rather flog than V-V ECMO, if your problem is the heart and cardiac output, you need to use V-A

Well if your RV is failing because of reversible pulmonary dysfunction then a trial if VV ECMO could be useful - start passing oxygenated blood with normal paco2 through the pulmonary circulation, PVR drops and the RV improves. Obviously you could reach a point of no return where your RV won't improve, hard to know where that is. I think VV ECMO with potent inotropes can reverse a fair amount of RV dysfunction

Well if your RV is failing because of reversible pulmonary dysfunction then a trial if VV ECMO could be useful - start passing oxygenated blood with normal paco2 through the pulmonary circulation, PVR drops and the RV improves. Obviously you could reach a point of no return where your RV won't improve, hard to know where that is. I think VV ECMO with potent inotropes can reverse a fair amount of RV dysfunction

Hm. Good point.

I'm seeing an interesting pattern to my viral pneumonias on the vent this year, usually in the past years most were difficult oxygenation who also were hard to ventilate, this year I'm having a rash of people I can't ventilate within ARDnet parameters who are oxygenating ok. I've got several on 7ml/kg with RR >30 and on bicarb drips for pH despite running through the diagnostics and looking for reversible obstructions, I've got nothing. I say viral as these also have an odd pattern of flu like symptoms for a week then decompensating rapidly between day 7-10, and these aren't secondary bacterial infections either. Almost none of these have tested positive for flu.

I do not believe the degree of benefit. Seriously? 16% ABSOLUTE reduction? Bs.....http://medicalevidence.blogspot.com/2013/05/over-easy-recent-history-of-trials-of.html?m=1

Other questions that bug me. In ARMA, which group had the better outcomes? (The Worse pa ratios)

What's the primary cause of death in ARDS PTs? It usually isn't hypoxic induced issues. It's usually the inciting etiology. OR you get barotrauma which leads to a sudden decompensation & death. and does proning decrease barotrauma? Does it reduce GI bleeds? Does it reduces VAP? Does it reduce CLABS?

Hern,

I think there's good reason to consider proning those with very severe ARDS. I just had to give a talk to our division on this topic. We're currently writing a protocol and have started proning patients with pretty good results though our "n" is currently too small to say anything definitively. After a deep dive into the literature, I'd say that my views on proning are:

Physiological basis for proning:

1. Proning leads to more overall alveolar recruitment and is synergistic with PEEP -> a given delivered Vt is dispersed to more alveoli -> minimizing stretch injury (reduced tidal hyperinflation and cyclic recruitment/derecruitment)

--- Cornejo et al, AJRCCM, 2013

2. This is likely due to a combination of mechanisms that include altering the relationship between gravitational forces and size-matching, off-loading the region of the lungs that are posterior to the heart, and minimizing PEEP-associated alveolar hyperinflation.

--- Gattinoni et al, AJRCCM, 2013
--- Albert et al, AJRCCM, 1999

3. But, improvements in oxygenation does not correlate very well with improvements in mortality.

Clinical data for proning:

In looking at the RCTs conducted thus far you can see that over time there's been an improved understanding of which patient population to include (severe ARDS by P/F ratio) as well as how long we should prone these patients for (most of the day). The early trials proned all comers with ARDS including those with mild disease. That would dilute any effect. They also proned patients for a short time period (e.g. 6hrs). Furthermore, they had no understanding of lung protective mechanical ventilation. Given the theoretical basis for proning mentioned above, no understanding person would expect a mortality benefit with proning when applied in this manner to all comers. However, even under these conditions, subgroup analyses on very severe hypoxemia showed hints of a potential mortality benefit.

--- Gattinoni et al, NEJM, 2001
--- Guerin et al, JAMA, 2004

The first trial to look at proning for the majority of the day in severe ARDS (average P/F 105) was Mancebo et al in the blue journal (2006). It was stopped early due to slow enrollment. Meaning, they never had the opportunity to meet statistical power. I wouldn't necessarily call that a negative study.

Taccone et al (JAMA, 2009) then completed a trial of proning for the majority of the day in severe ARDS (P/F 113) and failed to show a mortality benefit. Adherence to lung protective mechanical ventilation in this trial was poor.

There was then was a meta-analysis that looked at all these prior trials (including some others) and found that when you stratify the patient populations (P/F > 100 vs P/F < 100) there's a decreased relative risk of death for proning in patients with severe disease. This set the stage for the recent Guerin paper in the NEJM.

This trial was the first of its kind to prone patients for most of the day and very strictly adhere to lung protective mechanical ventilation. There was also a large amount of paralytic used in both the control and intervention arm so this really was a study where the control arm was the Pappazian study of Cis/Low-stretch (very similar mortality rate to that study as well).

I am also skeptical about the magnitude of the mortality benefit, but it is hard to argue that there is not an added mortality benefit of proning - but this was an excellent that met statistical power and found a very dramatic effect. I'd like another trial to see whether a similar ARR is achieved, but I'm not holding out on changing my practice.

The one thing that is important for all of us to remember is that randomized clinical trials demonstrate efficacy and not effectiveness. Meaning, they include a very specific population and exclude lots of people and are conducted at very experienced high-volume centers. Once it gets rolled out into the real world it will be applied to people who would never been included in the trial and will be done in centers with very limited experience. This is true for proning or any other drug/therapy.

I guess my final take home message on proning would be that:

1. There are data to support that proning helps optimize lung recruitment and may reduce VILI by distributing Vt more homogenously
2. There are no data to suggest that proning is harmful
3. Proning doesn't work in mild/mod ARDS or when used for small fraction of a day
4. A meta-analysis showed that it works in severe ARDS
5. This has been supported in a large multicenter randomized clinical trial
6. There's way more data for proning than there is for flolan and other modes of mech vent like APRV in patients with severe ARDS. And if definitely makes more physiological sense along with supportive outcomes data than esmolol in septic shock. I'll save my critique of the esmolol trial for another day!

Souljah1

Reactions: 1 users
You misunderstand me. I prone people frequently, and sadly I don't use HFOV due to recent studies, I'm fellowship trained so I've read all the data you posted, I'm simply calling shenanigans on the degree of benefit, and I would disagree with your assessment that there is no harm, increased rate of tube dislodgment in many of this studies isn't insignificant, I only takes one to code from a dislodgment while in the torture devices to make one a little squeamish.

So can you name ANY other critical care study which had this degree of benefit that was later shown to be at best equivalent or at worse (NICESUGAR) harmful?

You misunderstand me. I prone people frequently, and sadly I don't use HFOV due to recent studies, I'm fellowship trained so I've read all the data you posted, I'm simply calling shenanigans on the degree of benefit, and I would disagree with your assessment that there is no harm, increased rate of tube dislodgment in many of this studies isn't insignificant, I only takes one to code from a dislodgment while in the torture devices to make one a little squeamish.

So can you name ANY other critical care study which had this degree of benefit that was later shown to be at best equivalent or at worse (NICESUGAR) harmful?

I agree with you about the degree of benefit. Stated that above. There's always some that are early adopters and some that are late adopters (or never adopters). I'm, in this case, in the camp of early adopters for those patients with severe hypoxemia despite lung protective ventilation. I think there is some mortality benefit, but wouldn't be surprised at all if the degree of effect is smaller than what Guerin found for the reasons that I stated above.

Studies of mixed populations all negative. The best designed study is positive. No proning study showed harm with respect to mortality, nor are there compelling differences in complication rates in any study. All cardiac arrests in the Guerin trial happened when supine regardless of whether patients were randomized to placebo or proning arm.

I know very well that intensivists have been burned in the past by rapidly changing their practice in response to the latest clinical trial (steroids, insulin, activated protein C, etc). Our division has mixed feelings and historically is very skeptical about "new" approaches. We rarely use APRV, have a mixed view on cis, etc - but most of our ARDS and mechanical ventilation experts here are firm believers in proning. Time will tell if it provides a benefit in real practice. We don't have one intensivist rushing to give esmolol, though.

I know you are fellowship trained. I shared my views because I just reviewed all the literature to give a talk to our division. And, as I'm sure you know, fellowship trained is not synonomous with being completely caught up in all the literature. At least it isn't where I work (audience all fellowship trained)! Was not trying to teach you, but was sharing my rationale for why I think proning provides some degree of benefit.

Cheers.

Reactions: 1 users
That's funny you mention nimbex....since I tend to reach for a paralytic while waiting for a roto prone....no I don't do the French style prone although we could.. There is no single way to do things, nor do I believe in a single size fits all approach, and I never adopt novel ideas first....but I won't be the last if they become common place.

And touché on knowing fellowship trained guys who....are *****s. I'll just say it, not all fellow trained people are good, nor so they read, it should mean that they're exposed to these ideas and data but sadly you're right.

Aside/////
Honestly I wish we could design a partial support ecmo machine, one which would use a 12 French catheter like dialysis but would likely only off load the lungs some. So we would still follow ARDSNet set up and lea vented but g ebus that extra co2 removal and oxygenation to get us over the hump.

Anyone use the CO2 membranes that they were advertising that Pitt was using for COPd exacerbations?....ok that was a rambling word salad.

Last edited:
Hope it turns out well for the poor bastard.

I'm having flashbacks to a similar case as a fellow, guy sat on APRV 100% FIO2 for 2 months, then started dropping his lungs every few days, one day he developed massive hemoptysis, dropped his lung and we coded him for an hour or so, sats never got about 40%, looked like a giant fat smurf the while time. I walked out and told my attending I'm done, this was futile bull crap another attending walked by heard me and told me to man the **** up and put on another....yes another chest tube, bronch him again and code him till he's room temperature or something along those explitive lines...I argued, was called a ***** and eventually went back I and did as I was told...that SOB walked out of the hospital a month later. He was such a large man that my chest tube incisions looked like a thoracotomy scar.

I'm having flashbacks to a similar case as a fellow, guy sat on APRV 100% FIO2 for 2 months, then started dropping his lungs every few days, one day he developed massive hemoptysis, dropped his lung and we coded him for an hour or so, sats never got about 40%, looked like a giant fat smurf the while time. I walked out and told my attending I'm done, this was futile bull crap another attending walked by heard me and told me to man the **** up and put on another....yes another chest tube, bronch him again and code him till he's room temperature or something along those explitive lines...I argued, was called a ***** and eventually went back I and did as I was told...that SOB walked out of the hospital a month later. He was such a large man that my chest tube incisions looked like a thoracotomy scar.

Wow. Never had a case like that.

im sorry, what?

im sorry, what?

Initially presented with septic UTI from obstruction, went into ARDS had initial improvement started CPAPing, got trached then decompensated and would slowly go down and to 60-70% fio2 then would have some issue that caused him to desaturated and bump back to 100%, was very frustrating how poorly he progressed, no obvious cause, initially, the week before the hemoptysis, PTX code, he got bilateral chest tubes, slightly improved, would have a little hemoptysis we bronched, never had obvious infection, then crashed, after the last mega code, he got another ct and had an anterior loculated component to the PTX which we had CT surg put in large bore anterior tube and he started to improve significantly, I often wondered if we missed the loculated but he had ct scan before I came on service. It was a truly bizarre case so saying 100% for 2 months is a little hyperbole but not terribly.

I guess let me put it this way. We know patients die without pressors, right? Why? Because keeping variables closer to those compatible with "normal" life and physiology seem to work better. I've never seen a randomized clinically controlled trial of pressors vs no pressors for septic shock, yet I buy that they improve survival, by a lot.

We don't know if patients die without pressors - bring me the papers

Let's say that we don't know the ebm use of pressors in sepsis and we gonna be friends.

Lets say if you don't use pressors in a severely hypotensive septic patient you are a bad doctor, and an idiot.

I don't care if we are friends, friendo.

Lets say if you don't use pressors in a severely hypotensive septic patient you are a bad doctor, and an idiot.

Me neither - regarding the friendship. Really who wants to be associated with you?
I just asked you to show me the benefits of using pressors in a specific category of patients using up to date evidence.
You as a brainwashed monkey started to call names . It is not your fault. The blame is on your teachers, parents and maybe a wife. They didn't correct you when it was the appropriate time.
Better for you to use in your clinic the albuterol and if you do ICU ( I hope not for patient's sake) only the pulmonary toilet orders. Because you are dangerous to our profession. An obtuse mind that doesn't tolerate a challenge "out of the box". Now if you're a resident - just get a book and read the essentials - after that post some intelligent remarks.
2win

Me neither - regarding the friendship. Really who wants to be associated with you?
I just asked you to show me the benefits of using pressors in a specific category of patients using up to date evidence.
You as a brainwashed monkey started to call names . It is not your fault. The blame is on your teachers, parents and maybe a wife. They didn't correct you when it was the appropriate time.
Better for you to use in your clinic the albuterol and if you do ICU ( I hope not for patient's sake) only the pulmonary toilet orders. Because you are dangerous to our profession. An obtuse mind that doesn't tolerate a challenge "out of the box". Now if you're a resident - just get a book and read the essentials - after that post some intelligent remarks.
2win

Glad you signed your post because none of us had any clue who made the post as the forum doesn't make it very clear.

I'm not wrong and there is nothing that needs to be correcting. There is nothing "outside the box" about NOT using pressors in patients that need them. That's just stupidity.

The irony of YOU telling me to post something "intelligent" when you bring up "EMB and pressors," like it's even relevant, would be really funny if it wasn't so fooking stupid. If you think you're some kind of eccentric out of the box thinker and don't give pressors to patients who need them, then YOU are the dangerous whackjob to my profession. Find me the randomized, clinically controlled trials for the benefit of the ventilator in acute respiratory failure in patient who have failed non-invasive ventilation. Fine me the randomized, clinically controlled trials that stopping the bleeding in massive variceal shows benefit.

There are just some things you do for the patient when indicated that are of clear, objective benefit to the patient, using pressors is one. If you disagree, why don't you design the trial and prove the rest of us "brainwashed" people wrong.

Glad you signed your post because none of us had any clue who made the post as the forum doesn't make it very clear.

I'm not wrong and there is nothing that needs to be correcting. There is nothing "outside the box" about NOT using pressors in patients that need them. That's just stupidity.

The irony of YOU telling me to post something "intelligent" when you bring up "EMB and pressors," like it's even relevant, would be really funny if it wasn't so fooking stupid. If you think you're some kind of eccentric out of the box thinker and don't give pressors to patients who need them, then YOU are the dangerous whackjob to my profession. Find me the randomized, clinically controlled trials for the benefit of the ventilator in acute respiratory failure in patient who have failed non-invasive ventilation. Fine me the randomized, clinically controlled trials that stopping the bleeding in massive variceal shows benefit.

There are just some things you do for the patient when indicated that are of clear, objective benefit to the patient, using pressors is one. If you disagree, why don't you design the trial and prove the rest of us "brainwashed" people wrong.
Now I see passion and an insecure student. Because you are not a practicing physician, THAT would be dangerous. An obtuse mind...
We know the guidelines. Where is the proof that pressors are useful in septic shock - easy like that. You said that there are useful - show me the papers!
regarding the use of "invasive: vs non invasive ventilation I have a lot of papers - gladly to forward you the pdf s.
Maybe you can enlight me also about the use of pressors /inotropes in cardiac arrest. What's your profession - student first year?

Now I see passion and an insecure student. Because you are not a practicing physician, THAT would be dangerous. An obtuse mind...
We know the guidelines. Where is the proof that pressors are useful in septic shock - easy like that. You said that there are useful - show me the papers!
regarding the use of "invasive: vs non invasive ventilation I have a lot of papers - gladly to forward you the pdf s.
Maybe you can enlight me also about the use of pressors /inotropes in cardiac arrest. What's your profession - student first year?

Well. I see an idiot, trying to make a stupid and irrelevant point.

You show me the IRB that would let you do a pressors vs no pressors trial. And when you figure out why they won't let you do that trial, you'll have learned something. This will be good for your education.

I didn't say non-invasive vs invasive ventilation. I said the benefit to mechanical venilation in patients who have FAILED non-invasive. Find that paper. And also try and pay attention to what is being said and what is not being said.

There is no great evidence for any great benefit to pressors or ionotropes in cardiac arrest, though enough such that epi and vasopressin are still suggested in the arrest algorithm. You should know this.

Maybe I should write in your native language for you.
Define "failed" - or fracasado. Maybe you get it now. I still have the papers - free education for you.
What shows me how dumb you are is the last paragraph. "Suggested" - did u ever used your small brain to go deeper than that?
I bet you'll be a great worker in a factory line. Eh - the medical system has its own failures...
That's enough - if you want some education I'll give you a paypal account to send some mexican money.
Get back to your H&P and "suggested" treatments. I am done with you Verzögerung!
Тупой остается немым