Essay Writing during Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predentforlife

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
From looking at the old threads, UCSF require you to write a short essay during or at the end of the interview day. However, that thread is like 5 years old. Do they still do that? I am really curious CUZ me luv righting dem essaaayyyss

Members don't see this ad.

is UCSF the only dental school that has a essay writing during the interview?

I think they still do that, USC also does this. Don't quote me on this.... but I'm pretty sure there are more schools.... someone can correct me if i'm wrong

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Case Western does this too.

How do we prepare for these essays during the interview?

At UTHSC San Antonio.. The essay isn't bad. They just want to know that you are proficient in writing.

I'm applied this cycle, and I had to write a short essay at Loma Linda. In a strange way, it was kind of relaxing to write an essay right before the interview.

Loma Linda does too. I asked one of the people interviewing me what the reason was for it and they told me the main purpose is so that they know you can write in English well. Some people have others write personal statements and other things for secondary applications, so they want to make sure that you are the author of all that you write. That's what I heard.....

How much time do they give you for the essays? Plus, are they judging you on your handwriting? Cuz mine is really bad lol! Also, what kind of subjects are they making you write about? You dont have to give me the exact prompt, but Im just trying to get an idea of the stuff you may have to write about. The thing is I love to write, but Ill admit I do take forever, not a very good writer in timed tests, but I spend hours perfecting my essays to make them come out good so just curious because of that. Thanks!

Temple too but it's not really an essay, more like a writing sample.