Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daniel M. Pitta

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about what I'm going to sit down and write for my essay, can anybody give me some feedback on what they wrote/how long their essay was, etc.? I pretty much what I'm going to say but would like to get an idea of what other DPT students put down.

Members don't see this ad.

I used every character given to me on PTCAS (essay is limited by PTCAS). If I remember, I think my essay was 4-5 full paragraphs (does that sound right?...newer applicants chime in). Either way, you can go to the PTCAS website for more info. I wrote about my career transition and tried to highlight parts of my old career/story that carry over to the PT career. I started my essay with a crazy opening paragraph, I poked a little fun at myself in a professional way (not saying to do this, but this is my personality naturally). Make your essay personal, let it capture your personality and take on life. Make it interesting/funny if that's your thing. Ask yourself, if you didn't know this person, would you like reading this essay. Paint a picture of you/your life/your experiences when you write.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm thinking about what I'm going to sit down and write for my essay, can anybody give me some feedback on what they wrote/how long their essay was, etc.? I pretty much what I'm going to say but would like to get an idea of what other DPT students put down.

Check out my blog dptknow.tumblr.com

I wrote essay tips for this yrs essay!

Embrace who you are and let that be expressed in your paper - be critical of every single word and ask yourself after every sentence 'is this the correct message I wanted to portray here'. I am unsure of how many drafts I went through, but I gave myself ~6 weeks of constant editing before I arrived to my final draft.

My topic was slightly different (I applied to PTCAS Summer 2013) but I focused on how I pursued work and academic environments that helped me develop critical skills to becoming a good clinician (emphasis on communication, empathy, metacognition - the ability to actively think and reflect simultaneously when making decisions).

Like the other posters here - I used all available characters (4500).

DO NOT state that you "want to be a PT because I love to help people" or anything relating to that. Everyone who's applying to PT will have that altruistic characteristic, so be sure to set yourself apart from others by personalizing the essay to explain what drove you to this career path.

Reactions: 1 users
Also you can post your essay on SDN. They have a sticky for that. Plenty of people will read and critique it for you. Every little bit counts. This will be the most important paper you have written in your life up to this point.

DO NOT state that you "want to be a PT because I love to help people" or anything relating to that. Everyone who's applying to PT will have that altruistic characteristic, so be sure to set yourself apart from others by personalizing the essay to explain what drove you to this career path.
Exactly, write about something that is meaningful to you! Don't go the generic healer route, you won't stand out. Like the other's have stated, maximize those characters!

I thought it was 3500, but I could be wrong (feels like ages ago I wrote all those essays). My best advice, and the advice I've seen countless times here is:

1. ANSWER THE QUESTION. All too often applicants get passionate and veer in a direction that has nothing to do with the original prompt. Make sure everything that appears in the essay helps to answer the prompt in some way. The word limit makes each sentence that much more important.

2. Make your essay unique. Don't lie or embellish when it isn't warranted (that is bound to bite you in the butt come interview time), but really think about what makes you and your perspective yours and yours alone. A lot of people are going to have a similar story: an injury landed them or a loved one in PT and their lives were changed by a certain therapist who showed them that PT is more than just exercises. This is a great thing, and I am in no way undermining its significance (because I totally had this experience), but the essay should be more about you and your thought process, not another therapist's. Mention your observations, revelations you've had during the prerequisite process, and why PT is important to YOU. Just be honest and really take your time with it.

Reactions: 1 users
First of all you should comprehensively explain what motivated you in your choice, why you haven't chosen some other subranch. One more important thing is that it is necessary to distinguish yourself from other applicants, tell what makes you a right choice. Unique facts or experience will be helpful here. Browse the web for samples and patterns of such pieces of writing. I consulted https://domypapers.com/assignments/, it was very informative. Besides, they provide free samples. Good luck.

I don't understand, people! Why you waste time on something that won't be completed? You are not sure what to write about even now, and imagine when you'll write all your thoughts and then all ideas will run out? Anyway, if I were you I would use some research paper and literature review and enjoy my youth.

Really, your first post is to troll on a thread from months ago? OP said "I pretty much know what I'm going to say", so why waste time commenting if you're going to contribute absolutely nothing to this conversation.