Essential Books and iPhone Apps for IM / PGY1 Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoctor10

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would you all recommend as essential books/apps for PGY1 year for incoming residents? Thanks!

Also curious if people recommend Pocket Medicine (or) UCSF Hospitalist Handbook and why?

Let's create a (concise) list below

Books:

iPhone Apps:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Books: none unless your program gives you board review books like mine
iphone apps: pocket medicine ( that book is heavy so app is better also app is searchable), medcalc, medscape, epocarates.
i bought hospitalist and outpatient USCSF combo iphone app.. used it few times. i think it was waste of my money. i like pocket medicine

Books: none unless your program gives you board review books like mine
iphone apps: pocket medicine ( that book is heavy so app is better also app is searchable), medcalc, medscape, epocarates.
i bought hospitalist and outpatient USCSF combo iphone app.. used it few times. i think it was waste of my money. i like pocket medicine
Thanks for the reply! I have Medscape and Epocrates. Will get pocket medicine and one of the calculator apps:

MedCalc vs. Calculate (QxMD)....thoughts on which is better?

Members don't see this ad :)
I prefer med calc, it doesn't look as slick but I find it easier to use.

For books, my favorites are the ICU book and the Washington Manual. The most recent edition of the manual comes with a free e edition for your phone. It hits the highlights, for more depth and actual management you'll have to move to uptodate.

Thanks for the reply! I have Medscape and Epocrates. Will get pocket medicine and one of the calculator apps:

MedCalc vs. Calculate (QxMD)....thoughts on which is better?
I have both.

And usually forget they're on my phone and just use UTD or Teh Googelz.

Which brings up another one. See if your institution pays for remote/mobile UpToDate access. Mine recently did so and it's awesome to have it available whenever I need it (like while writing notes from the confines of my deck with a beer in hand).

If your school does not pay for remote uptodate, I would recommend getting together with a friend and splitting the cost. I know some fellows who did that. With the discount for residents/fellows and splitting the cost two ways, they said it was very reasonable.

I prefer med calc, it doesn't look as slick but I find it easier to use.

For books, my favorites are the ICU book and the Washington Manual. The most recent edition of the manual comes with a free e edition for your phone. It hits the highlights, for more depth and actual management you'll have to move to uptodate.
When you say Washington Manual, I assume this is: The Washington Manual of Medical Therapeutics?

i had a ton, used very few.

books: owned harrisons as it was required, rarely used it. used wash manual of cc a lot. i carry the sanford guide with me. other than that just medstudy.

apps: again have a lot use very few.
regularly use: epocrates, qx calculate, thats about it.

we have UTD on every desktop in the hospital though which helps a lot.

When you say Washington Manual, I assume this is: The Washington Manual of Medical Therapeutics?

I do indeed. I know there are other Washington Manuals, outpatient and critical care come to mind. I don't have experience with either, but I have heard that the critical care one is worth having, although I don't think that it comes with an included E-book edition.

For other apps, I recommend GoodRx, which can give you actual local prices of the Rx you are writing, which is an important consideration for a lot of the patients that show up in your standard academic tertiary care hospital without insurance or resources. Other than the $1 I spent on MedCalc, I can't say that it has been worth it to pay for any other apps. Medscape is free and worth having, I prefer it to epocrates and you don't have to constantly prove that you are a trainee to keep free access to the med reference part.