establishing newyork residency..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wkawk2416

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
question about getting ny residency. I heard it is pretty easy to get ny residency however, i searched today, and found out that if you are financially dependent, your parents should be living in ny too..

is that true? Also in order to be financially independent, you have to have a job? and tax return form?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are > 22 years old I believe you are independent. Regardless, by this time you should be. You also can't be a NY resident without having a NY address for 1 year (though some people have dodged this one somehow and had housing only 6 months or so).

As soon as possible and when reasonable, lease a house/apt/whatever. Get a NY license and if you own a car get it registered in NY. Get NY insurance. Basically you want to prove that you have no plans on staying in whatever state you are coming from and that you are going to live in NY permanently. Doing all that stuff helps a lot. When you have leased your house for nearly a year, there's a form you can get from your school to apply for residency. Fill it out and return it. By the next semester you should get in-state tuition.

You don't need a job to be independent. But they will ask you if you've lived with your parents for > 6 weeks in the last year. They'll ask if you've filed your own tax returns. They'll ask if your parents have given you any money in the past year. And so on.

thanks for the information!!

I just turned 22 about a week ago, so i am qualified or not?? (class of 2013) also I have to lease an apartment b/f the class starts right? in other words, lets say that I will lease an apt around may 2009, then I can get instate tuition next year fall semester which is fall 2010??

thanks for the help..