Esthetic Dentistry and Feeling Selfish

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

childofthesacredheart

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a fourth year dental school student and I am being taught by one of the most well-known esthetic professors in the world right now . . . He is considered the best in esthetic dentistry, and he is teaching us so much about tooth morphology and all these techniques on how to create the most beautiful smile.

However, although I am thankful that he is teaching us so much, I feel as if this course is really selfish and narcissistic. A part of me wanted to go into dentistry to help people and possibly help the poor/under-served community, but this entire class seems to be just about beauty and esthetics - when I go out into the public practice, I don't think that many of my patients will be able to afford such amazing esthetic work. Furthermore, this whole class seems to be focused so much on prestige and honor - and it doesn't seem humble in any sense. The professor is very kind to me, but is also very arrogant. He constantly praises himself (in a joking way), and the whole school knows his name (he is the pride of our dental school). It makes me feel as if this class isn't really about helping human beings but about competition and ambition....

Am I wrong to feel this way?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't let the arrogant, self-centered, rich dentist get to you.
The poor and underserved folks will appreciate your skills in providing an esthetic result too.

(I have found the poor and underserved have a greater appreciation without being demanding.)

Reactions: 1 user
Dentists like to flock to the illusion of money, assuming that the people with the big houses and the nice cars will spend the big money on a nice smile. Little do they realize that most of those people are living beyond their means and have a thousand bills to pay before a dentist.

Most "cosmetic" dentists throw the term around as a buzzword, a marketing ploy to attract wealthier patients. When the economy goes down, they are the first to suffer.

Everybody needs fillings and crowns, very few people need yearly tray whitening and veneers.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Remember, this is just one class, your career and how you perceive it wont be affected by this one class. I understand that its frustrating to sit there and listen to him brag about his work and whatnot, but do not give him the power to rattle you up. Instead focus more on mobile clinic/county/hospital rotations. This class is temporary, learn what you can and get through with it. Good luck on your final year! You're almost there!

I feel/felt similarly during my esthetic course. Just think of the people who will truly benefit from it (accidents, chemo, etc) and focus on eventually helping them.

Dentists like to flock to the illusion of money, assuming that the people with the big houses and the nice cars will spend the big money on a nice smile. Little do they realize that most of those people are living beyond their means and have a thousand bills to pay before a dentist.

I have worked in offices located in both an affluent community and working class neighborhood. IMO the working class patients were more accepting of treatment.

So the guy happens to focus on providing a desired service to a specific demographic with means and he's excellent at it; what's the big issue? There is no nobility in poverty. Take what you can from the course and translate it into wherever you practice.

I am currently a fourth year dental school student and I am being taught by one of the most well-known esthetic professors in the world right now . . . He is considered the best in esthetic dentistry, and he is teaching us so much about tooth morphology and all these techniques on how to create the most beautiful smile.

However, although I am thankful that he is teaching us so much, I feel as if this course is really selfish and narcissistic. A part of me wanted to go into dentistry to help people and possibly help the poor/under-served community, but this entire class seems to be just about beauty and esthetics - when I go out into the public practice, I don't think that many of my patients will be able to afford such amazing esthetic work. Furthermore, this whole class seems to be focused so much on prestige and honor - and it doesn't seem humble in any sense. The professor is very kind to me, but is also very arrogant. He constantly praises himself (in a joking way), and the whole school knows his name (he is the pride of our dental school). It makes me feel as if this class isn't really about helping human beings but about competition and ambition....

Am I wrong to feel this way?

I'm glad to hear that you have a interest in serving the poor/underserved community! I've been working in a community clinic for the past 6 years and like some of the posters have mentioned already- nowadays all patients, including the low income patients we see in the community clinic want esthetic dentistry. For me the challenge and exciting part is finding ways to try to satisfy the patients esthetic concerns within their financial constraints. It's awesome you get to learn from one of the leading esthetic professors, I would try to learn as much as possible from him since a lot of the concepts regarding tooth morphology, smile design are applicable regardless of what material you are using (ceramics, composite…). Especially if he teaches a lot of esthetic composite techniques, I will definitely pay attention to what he teaches with regards to that since you can do a lot with composite in helping out patients with limited finances. Currently, I am working with one of my AEGD residents on a full mouth composite rehab case since the patient has severely worn dentition and can't afford doing everything ideally with crowns/bridges.

You must be attending USC...nothing wrong with a little esthetic dental work. After a year or two out of school, you'll be ecstatic if you can get a six unit veneer case versus vs. regular daily dental work (denture adjustment, fillings, single crowns etc etc etc...)