Estudiantes quien hablan espanol! Ayudan me, por favor?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docjolly

On Cloud Nine, Once Again
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I speak Spanish fluently, but haven't used it much in the past 2-3 years up until now (I'm in my first rotation: Internal Medicine). On a daily basis, I can have a conversation with any Spanish-speaking person, and usually do not have any problems in conveying my thoughts or understanding him/her.

However, I am having a problem with medical terminology in Spanish, and I'm not exactly sure how to go about fixing this.

For example, I had problems today asking patients about their PMH (i.e. kidney disease, glaucoma, seizures, strokes, MI, gallstones, kidneystones), and even asking them to qualify certain pain (stabbing, aching, dull). It's also very hard to ask about certain diagnostic tests, such as cardiac stress tests, catheterizations, CT scans, MRI's, etc...

I'd like to be sharp with the medical terminology, but I'm not sure how to go about doing this. It's a bit frustrating, and I am not sure what to do.

Do you have any helpful suggestions?

I'd appreciate you help!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard there are some really good spanish-english medical terminology books out there. Unfortunately I don't remember the name that was recommended to me, but do a search on Amazon or google and I'm sure you'll find some good options.

I speak Spanish fluently, but haven't used it much in the past 2-3 years up until now (I'm in my first rotation: Internal Medicine). On a daily basis, I can have a conversation with any Spanish-speaking person, and usually do not have any problems in conveying my thoughts or understanding him/her.

However, I am having a problem with medical terminology in Spanish, and I'm not exactly sure how to go about fixing this.

For example, I had problems today asking patients about their PMH (i.e. kidney disease, glaucoma, seizures, strokes, MI, gallstones, kidneystones), and even asking them to qualify certain pain (stabbing, aching, dull). It's also very hard to ask about certain diagnostic tests, such as cardiac stress tests, catheterizations, CT scans, MRI's, etc...

I'd like to be sharp with the medical terminology, but I'm not sure how to go about doing this. It's a bit frustrating, and I am not sure what to do.

I believe that Webster's makes a fairly good medical Spanish dictionary - but don't quote me on that. Any decent dictionary would probably be too big for a white coat and would have to be lugged around. Maybe someone can recommend a good pda program?

The only thing is - it seems like you're asking pretty specific questions. Wouldn't more general questions be simpler and easier? That way, patients might also give you more info, and you wouldn't need to use so many technical terms.

I don't think that patients who speak English understand words like "catheterize," and "cardiac stress test." Even in English we have to use simpler words and questions - or rather, it's more effective if we do.) Simple questions like "Have you had kidney trouble? Any problems with your eyes?" would be enough, maybe. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
Siempre vas a tener q usar palabras sencillas para que los pacientes te entiendan, pero si pienso q si trabajas de medico y realmente quieres hacer tu trabajo en español con naturaleza deberias aprender la terminologia medica, para ser honesto, yo no te puedo ayudar a traducir a TODO porque hay muchos terminos en ingles que yo no conozco su significado, por eso no los puedo traducir, pero puedes usar la literatura, estoy seguro que si hablas español fluidamente y ya conoces esa terminologia en ingles, no te va a costar aprenderla en español y memorizarla.

I speak Spanish fluently

If you did, then you probably would have used the correct mood for the verb ayudar in the thread title.

By the way, for some strange reason, typing in languages other than English is a TOS violation outside of the international forums. It's odd and unnecessary, I think, but expect this thread to be closed because of it.

Siempre vas a tener q usar palabras sencillas para que los pacientes te entiendan, pero si pienso q si trabajas de medico y realmente quieres hacer tu trabajo en español con naturaleza deberias aprender la terminologia medica, para ser honesto, yo no te puedo ayudar a traducir a TODO porque hay muchos terminos en ingles que yo no conozco su significado, por eso no los puedo traducir, pero puedes usar la literatura, estoy seguro que si hablas español fluidamente y ya conoces esa terminologia en ingles, no te va a costar aprenderla en español y memorizarla.

It seems like you didn't understand me. That's probably my fault - sometimes what I mean to say and what I end up writing are different. The thing is, for me - when I talk to patients, I prefer to use simpler words, and I try to avoid medical terminology (or "technical jargon" as they call it). For example, I'd never say something like:

"Well, in order to work up your chest pain, did you have anything done? Like a lower limb doppler, or how about a spiral CT? Did a doctor look for V/Q mismatch?"

Although the majority of the patients that I see speak English, phrases like "lower limb doppler" and "V/Q mismatch" don't mean anything to them. I think, in this case, it would be better if I asked things like "What did the hospital do? What did your doctor do?"

I think that using the correct medical terminology is important when you're talking to other doctors who also speak Spanish. But with patients - I don't know if it matters so much.

If you did, then you probably would have used the correct mood for the verb ayudar in the thread title.

By the way, for some strange reason, typing in languages other than English is a TOS violation outside of the international forums. It's odd and unnecessary, I think, but expect this thread to be closed because of it.

Seriously?! Huh.

Whoops.

You learn something new everyday. I'll try to re-write (or at least include translations) with my posts.

well,

this was an error on my part, but i'm not sure how this somehow negates my ability to speak spanish fluently....

i wonder if it's the same to assume that, since I claim to speak English fluently as well, and have, at many times, made errors with spelling/syntax/grammar, that I probably don't truly speak English fluently?? :rolleyes:

thanks, everyone, for your advice! I appreciate it :)

It seems like you didn't understand me. That's probably my fault - sometimes what I mean to say and what I end up writing are different. The thing is, for me - when I talk to patients, I prefer to use simpler words, and I try to avoid medical terminology (or "technical jargon" as they call it). For example, I'd never say something like:

"Well, in order to work up your chest pain, did you have anything done? Like a lower limb doppler, or how about a spiral CT? Did a doctor look for V/Q mismatch?"

Although the majority of the patients that I see speak English, phrases like "lower limb doppler" and "V/Q mismatch" don't mean anything to them. I think, in this case, it would be better if I asked things like "What did the hospital do? What did your doctor do?"

I think that using the correct medical terminology is important when you're talking to other doctors who also speak Spanish. But with patients - I don't know if it matters so much.

Oh...sorry...my comment was for docjolly, who said that wanted to sharp his medical vocabulary in spanish, and I actually think that if you want to do your job as a doctor with patients who speak spanish, you should know some medical terminology....true, patients don't understand complex terms, but you must explain them a few things, what's important is knowing the name of the organs, general procedures (surgery, treatment, etc.), you know, just like you do with the english speaking patients...it's not like they don't understand ANYTHING.

I like the pocket-sized medical dictionary by Rogers. If you look up 2 or 3 new words each day, your vocabulary gets really good really fast. I rarely need to look up words any more. It's easier to start with the specialty rotations because there's less vocab; starting with medicine is harder.

For stuff like CTs etc., I usually just ask questions like, did you go inside a big X-ray machine? That tends to get a much more accurate answer than asking if someone had a CT, even with native English speakers.