Ether and water questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shrister

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
DAT destroyer question 145 in chemistry section says that water and ether and miscible. If that's true, then why does water and ether form separate layers in aqueous extractions? From chads videos I wrote down water and ether are immiscible with ether being less dense and forms a layer above water. Can someone please clarify?

Also, I take my test this Thursday (5/22) so if anyone has last minute advice, comments, or anything it would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends on the ether. Some ethers are completely soluble (THF) whereas others are not. In separation, you're mainly using diethyl ether, which is only slightly polar (the two ethyl groups make it less polar). Therefore, it's not completely soluble so it'll form its own layer in a separatory funnel.

If Ether has less than 4 carbons it is soluble in water. If it has more , like dipropyl ether, then water and ether will form two layers. So, it depends on the length of the ethers.