Ethical Dilemmas in Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PredentUndergrad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings Dentists!

I have a question regarding ethical dilemmas in dentistry. Since I'm still an undergrad, I have not been exposed to any ethical dilemmas in my shadowing experience.. However, I would like to ask about ethical dilemmas you encountered in your dental experience and how did you deal with them?
A simple example and explanation will be very helpful..

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Popular situations covered in ethics classes are:
-Child needs $80 of dental work parent can't afford it. He is turned away by multiple dentists and ends up dying from the infection. What do you think?
-You hurt your back and are prescribed painkillers/muscle relaxers. Do you still do procedures on patients while taking these?
-A friend comes in for dental work, but his dental insurance doesn't start until a few days. He asks you to change the date on paperwork so his procedure is covered by his insurance. What do you do?
-Do you date patients?
-A patient you are working on is loudly expressing racist opinions and using racial slurs while talking to you. Even if minorities are not in your office, what do you do?
-A new patient comes in with tooth pain but does not want it worked on, he just wants a prescription. What do you do?
-A new patient comes in and they have a reputation of suing many dentists in town for malpractice. Do you treat them?

Reactions: 1 user