Ethical Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I'mJustCurious

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an ethical question relating to a current med school student with a Youtube channel. He/she is a medical student, and likes to post Youtube videos of him/her swearing a lot and making inappropriate jokes. This person recently got a tattoo on their forearm, which is noticeable. Do you guys think this person will get in trouble if someone found out about the videos or what would residency feel about the new tattoo? I'm Just Curious.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you trying to tell on the person? While doctors (for the most part) are good people, they are humans and sometimes humans swear and make inappropriate jokes. Also humans sometimes get tattoos and are able to do just fine on their jobs. Now if it was a tattoo of a swastika or something that may warrant some sort of reaction from residency programs. If the person isn't doing something illegal (or something super un-PC), I can't imagine them getting in trouble.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you trying to tell on the person? While doctors (for the most part) are good people, they are humans and sometimes humans swear and make inappropriate jokes. Also humans sometimes get tattoos and are able to do just fine on their jobs. Now if it was a tattoo of a swastika or something that may warrant some sort of reaction from residency programs. If the person isn't doing something illegal (or something super un-PC), I can't imagine them getting in trouble.

No not at all. In fact, I was trying to find out for that person so he/she won't get in trouble in the long run. I remember they had to take down all the videos for a week or two because the boards or whoever was doing a thorough background check.

I have an ethical question relating to a current med school student with a Youtube channel. He/she is a medical student, and likes to post Youtube videos of him/her swearing a lot and making inappropriate jokes. This person recently got a tattoo on their forearm, which is noticeable. Do you guys think this person will get in trouble if someone found out about the videos or what would residency feel about the new tattoo? I'm Just Curious.
I am still waiting for the ethical question. Having a friend who probably is hurting his chances at med school isn't one.

Reactions: 4 users
I am still waiting for the ethical question. Having a friend who probably is hurting his chances at med school isn't one.

But that's where the ethical question comes. Is he hurting his chances at med school? Someone already pointed out that he/she isn't doing anything illegal, therefore they won't get in trouble.

Again, there is nothing ETHICAL here. It's just a question.
It's a combination of ethical and a question. Last time I checked questions could include ethical situations.. in this situation it pertains and deals with morals, right or wrong in conduct. Is what the current medical student in accordance with the rules or standards for the right conduct or practice?

Tons of people have tattoos in healthcare, it's not really as taboo as it used to be. Depending on how stuck-up the specialty is, inappropriate humor can be rife in medicine. Sometimes the dark humor is an outlet for a very stressful line of work. Simple answer is probably not, but it certainly depends on how inappropriate it is.

Reactions: 1 user
It's a combination of ethical and a question....

Except that it isn't.
An ethical question is one that poses some ethical conflict or moral dilemma -- like "my friend is doing something that will hurt his chances at med school, but which in turn might benefit me-- should I tell him or keep quiet?"
That's an ethical question. Yours " will online cursing and tattoo impact my friends chances at med school?" Is a question, and a pretty obvious answer, but there's nothing "ethical" to ponder here.

You will be asked about ethics and ethical dilemmas in the application process. You probably should learn what that means because it isn't apparently what you think.

Reactions: 2 users
Except that it isn't.
An ethical question is one that poses some ethical conflict or moral dilemma -- like "my friend is doing something that will hurt his chances at med school, but which in turn might benefit me-- should I tell him or keep quiet?"
That's an ethical question. Yours " will online cursing and tattoo impact my friends chances at med school?" Is a question, and a pretty obvious answer, but there's nothing "ethical" to ponder here.

You will be asked about ethics and ethical dilemmas in the application process. You probably should learn what that means because it isn't apparently what you think.

I can definitely see where you are coming from, but when I asked the question, I was just trying to get to the point and not waste anytime. There are plenty of ethical questions that are just "questions" like "are you obligated to lend money to family'.

Still the medical student's action did pose some ethical conflict and more dilemma. Not only does this person decide to curse online, they decided to get a tattoo in the middle of their medical school journey. There are plenty of ethical questions about whether someone should be allow to practice medicine with tattoos. It was a question that I had to ponder at and I thought it would be interesting if people wanted to share their thoughts.

...but when I asked the question, I was just trying to get to the point and not waste anytime...
And how did that work out for you... :)

Sorry, it simply wasn't an ethical question, and no matter how much you re-cast it it still doesn't fix the fact that you called the thread an ethical question and then didn't ask one.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
And how did that work out for you... :)

Sorry, it simply wasn't an ethical question, and no matter how much you re-cast it it still doesn't fix the fact that you called the thread an ethical question and then didn't ask one.

Lol only you were able to waste both our time. No matter what you say or type, I still think it's justifiable. The moral and character of people is always a good ethical debate even asking a question about ethics is a good debate.

I know plenty of ER docs, surgeons ect that have visible tattoos on their biceps, forearm ect. None of them are provocative though. The youtube channel though, I'm not too sure of. Chances are it'd be fine, but you never know if an adcom finds it out or if further down the line, a patient finds out and reports the physician to the hospital.

It sounds like you really have a problem with this tattoo thing. I really don't think it's that big a deal these days - I mean unless you get a face tattoo or something crazy like that.

It sounds like you really have a problem with this tattoo thing. I really don't think it's that big a deal these days - I mean unless you get a face tattoo or something crazy like that.

I don't have a problem with tattoos, in fact I wouldn't mind it if my physician has one.

even asking a question about ethics is a good debate.

I think you should take his advice and understand a little better the meanings and specific usage of the words you are tossing around. He isn't trying to be a jerk to you. He is trying to save you from making an embarrassing mistake again in the future.

You didn't pose an ethics question. You described a situation. I'm not really clear what your question about it exactly is, but I am certain that you didn't pose an ethical dilemma for our consideration. So, there is no meaningful debate here. There certainly could be ethical dilemmas related to the context that you describe, but you have to actually pose them. Just as a setting isn't a story, so your description does not yield a debate, or even an interesting discussion thus far.

Lol only you were able to waste both our time. No matter what you say or type, I still think it's justifiable. The moral and character of people is always a good ethical debate even asking a question about ethics is a good debate.
You aren't getting it...."SHOULD this impact their medical career?" is an ethical question. "DOES thing impact them?" is not an ethical question

Then I guess it's settled. Live your own life unless this youtube person is someone you personally know. In that case leave them be - he/she is an adult.

You aren't getting it...."SHOULD this impact their medical career?" is an ethical question. "DOES thing impact them?" is not an ethical question

We will go with should next time buddy

Then I guess it's settled. Live your own life unless this youtube person is someone you personally know. In that case leave them be - he/she is an adult.

I guess so. Just wanted to see if I should give them an anonymous tip because I feel like they would be a great doctor and I don't want them hurting their chances in the future

I guess so. Just wanted to see if I should give them an anonymous tip because I feel like they would be a great doctor and I don't want them hurting their chances in the future
that's a different question altogether, I warned my other pre-med cohort members to scrub their online presence

Reactions: 1 users
We will go with should next time buddy

For the sake of salvaging something like an interesting conversation, let's pretend that you did ask it that way.

Probably not.

Having tattoos is a personal and culturally bounded decision. To the extent that they don't impair the quality of care provided or the professional relationship with patients, they are no one's business but the person's own, in my opinion. Others, including residency program directors and potential employers, may differ. That may impose some degree of complexity on the person's route to his/her goals. Whether that should be so or not is kind of irrelevant. It just is. There is almost certainly a way to get to where s/he wants to go despite encountering such friction.

However, the fact that someone who knows them is so bothered by their behavior as to come trolling SDN about it for reactions suggests that s/he is not being particularly wise, generally, and that doesn't bode well for them.

There is still really no ethical debate here, but at least it is slightly more interesting than it was.

If you are seeing it, and it is bothering you this much, then yeah, you should probably say something to them. That would be the professional and courteous thing to do. (Assuming you say it in a professional and courteous manner.)

I wouldn't be anonymous about it, if I actually cared about them and hoped that they would take my critique to heart. Anonymity means having nothing to lose, and it cheapens the advice to something that could be said by literally anyone. There would be no reason for them to listen to you about any other person who has an opinion. If you really want to be heard, wo/man up and approach them directly. Like so: "Hi. I'm concerned about you. I noticed ____________ behavior on your youtube channel, and I notice that you are very identifiable because of ____________. I believe that _______________ behavior could negatively impact your career prospects. As a peer and future colleague, I wanted to do you the courtesy of bringing this concern to your attention."

They might think you are a very nosy person and possibly a bit of joy kill, and they still might not care what you have to say. But it would be massively less creepy than just net stalking them and then posting about them on a forum, without ever having a conversation with them about it.

It's a combination of ethical and a question. Last time I checked questions could include ethical situations.. in this situation it pertains and deals with morals, right or wrong in conduct. Is what the current medical student in accordance with the rules or standards for the right conduct or practice?
This is not an ethical question, this is a question of professionalism. One can be unprofessional and not be unethical and vice versa, as unethical implies there is a standard of morality being violated, while professionalism relates to the expected behavior of a professional. Some professions actually allow for and even encourage some degree of immoral behavior (see finance, consulting, and sales, for instance) while some violations of professionalism have little to do with morality (having a face tattoo, as an example).

So probably a no on the face tattoo I was planning to get?