Ethics and personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MolarBear_

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

One thing I learned from the dentist I shadowed was that many dentists perform unnecessary procedures for greater profit. In my personal statement, I wanted to write about shaping the future of dentistry by providing ethical care and not over-treating. However, implicit in that statement is that many dentists are 'corrupt'. Is this a topic that should be avoided in the personal statement? Any input is appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

What if you said all that in your personal statement, and when you go into an interview, and they ask "are you sure you will not perform unnecessary procedures in the future? What if you were in a financial trouble and performing those procedures will help to solve your problem, what would you do? Bla bla bla"

How would you answer that question?

Hi,

One thing I learned from the dentist I shadowed was that many dentists perform unnecessary procedures for greater profit. In my personal statement, I wanted to write about shaping the future of dentistry by providing ethical care and not over-treating. However, implicit in that statement is that many dentists are 'corrupt'. Is this a topic that should be avoided in the personal statement? Any input is appreciated. Thank you.
Wow! The dentist you shadowed is omniscient.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I would be hesitant to say such a thing. Though you may be correct, it could come off as arrogant if you are claiming to know what a patient needs as a pre-dent better than an actual dentist would.

Wow! The dentist you shadowed is omniscient.

Toothache makes an important point with this cryptic response. How does your dentist know that other dentists are providing unnecessary procedures? He can speculate, but does he actually know this for sure? It is probably a good idea to avoid making disparaging remarks about other professionals without knowing why they chose their course of treatment. Quoting a dentist who criticizes his/her peers will come off poorly in the eyes of many.

When writing a personal statement, it is probably a good idea to steer clear of anything negative if possible.

Reactions: 1 users