ETOH at Dinner

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc_strange2001

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two of my interviews so far include dinner the night b4......I was wondering if it would be inappropriate to drink alcohol at dinner.. both residents and attendings will be present... Anyone have any advice??

Members don't see this ad.

It should not be a problem. The key is moderation. No one should judge you if you're having a beer or wine during dinner. If you start slurring your speech and become obnoxious then that's a different story. Also remember those dinners/lunches are informal interviews too. They're seeing if your personality fits their program.

DOMD

Members don't see this ad :)
If the residents order alcohol first then go for it. Don't be the first to order a beer, etc. You will find on most your interviews that the residents will drink because it is a free dinner for them. I always had 2-3 drinks at each dinner and didn't feel too worried at all. At one interview we all got pretty bombed and walked back to the hotel to crash. Enjoy yourself on these things.

I agree with the above posts. If the program is going out of their way enough to give you an elegant dinner where wine or beer is served, then by all means partake in it. But as mentioned above, it is somewhat of an informal interview. If you're a lightweight and can't handle even one glass of wine so well, then better think twice. You should know your own drinking limits by now. Use your judgment and make sure you keep yourself presentable. Nobody will judge you for having a couple drinks as long as your behavior isn't completely altered by it.

2 of my interview dinners were at microbreweries.. all the applicants and residents that attended were decidedly hungover the next day. I had a lunch at another interview and we all had 1-2 beers each. At the miami post-interview dinner I broke the ice by ordering a bottle of kettle one (vodka) and shot glasses for the table. I challenge you to find a single resident, med student, or attending who will blow off free alcohol (religious beliefs aside).

Originally posted by soon2bdoc2003
2 of my interview dinners were at microbreweries.. all the applicants and residents that attended were decidedly hungover the next day. I had a lunch at another interview and we all had 1-2 beers each. At the miami post-interview dinner I broke the ice by ordering a bottle of kettle one (vodka) and shot glasses for the table. I challenge you to find a single resident, med student, or attending who will blow off free alcohol (religious beliefs aside).

You, sir, have good taste and serious guts. However, if you get your interviewers drunk that must be a good sign. Carry on.

A few dinners I went to had wine flowing all night and everyone got tipsy at the least while others ordered by drink. It's a way for you to met residents and find out info in an informal setting. Residents do give feedback on applicants from dinner and tours at a lot of places to see how you fit into their program from a personality standpoint. The interview day and actual interviews are when they see you on a professional side. Relax and have a drink.

Please don't do what a recent interviewee from California did during his interview dinner the night before the formal interviews: Got smashed (albeit with only 4 beers), got "lucky", got the heaves the next morning, got to visit Parkland's ER instead of the OR, and got an express return to San Franscisco in Parkland blues (clothes were too vomit stained). I'll be the first to get you a beer, but if you're not a drinker, don't start during your interview.

This was a great candidate that we certainly would have ranked highly based on his CV, but may be hesitant to do so with what is perceived to be a distinctly impaired sense of judgement.

UTSW makes a strong point...if you can drink in a mature & responsbiel fashion AND the others were drinking first (I would certainly NOT initiate it), a drink or two - determined by your own limits of consumption - should be OK. However, with most all of these interview associated dinners, even if the attendings are not present - usually they are not, the residents fill out evaluations on you. The folks with whom you choose to party are not always the same folks you would prefer to work looooong hours with day & night...bear that in mind, please.

Lastly, and this is only second hand info, I met a lady fom U MI on the interview trail - in Richmond, I believe. She forewarned me of a program where the residents & attendings all went out to dinner with loads of alcohol, if you wanted it, for free. But, the next day, al of those who chose to party-hardy were intensively interogated about their partying/drinking habits. This person got bad vibes from the situation and stayed conservative...besides, she said the program was undewhelming too, and did not get the third degree. But, she heard several fo the others lamenting what had happend.

Sorry, I cannot honestly recall which program it was...I would love to think that this was an urban legend, so to speak. However, you just never know.

Great post Oldman. Quick question, though. Is it really true that in most programs the residents fill out evaluations of you based on the evening before dinner? If this is true, that is absurd. The program director at my school said that most dinners are "clean" and don't involve evaluations.

Hmmmmmm...good question. Of the places I made an inquiry, they all said that the residents had influence on how applicants were ranked & that included being evaluated by the residents you had dinner with. Now, to be perfectly honest, I did not ask every single program...they all did not provide dinner anyhow. After getting a "yes" to a sufficient number of them, I quit asking & decided to ass/u/me they were all evaluating me and to act accordingly. Figured that to be a safer approach.

I only had one resident/interview where it was a drinking festival. That was UPitt. We all met at a bar, Buffalo Bill's I think it was, and had many pictures of beer. They were a great bunch of guys! The program was sweet too!