ETSU vs. South College in TN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lynnV

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anybody help me for any advice? With the saturated pharmacy job market, I really want to get out of school quickly, so 3 year program at South sounds good for me. However, ETSU has good statistics and health connections. Their total tuitions are kinda same. I'm from out of TN state, so I have to pay for housing and expenses too. It means I have to pay for 1 more year if I decide going to ETSU. I'm really torn in making decision. :((

Members don't see this ad.

In TN, ETSU is well respected and had the support of the University of Tennessee when they started (before the glut of schools).

From where I sit, South is probably the least well respected here. Even Belmont, Union, and Lipscomb get significantly more respect. Those all started at the same time, and were part of the first wave of "new" schools that we didn't need. Everyone here was a little shocked when South came.

If you are headed for chain retail it probably won't matter. If there is any chance you will go for hospital or residency, I would reconsider having South on your list.

I was offered a seat at ETSU and it would have been my top OOS choice. Like the other poster said it has a good reputation aside from the fact that is a newer school. Nice campus integrated with the VA hospital

Hello! First and foremost, congratulations on getting accepted into pharmacy school. That is a huge accomplishment and wherever you choose to go, you will get a great education since both ETSU and South College are great pharmacy schools. I just wanted to share a little bit with you, as I am a South College student.
South College is a newer school with four years under its belt while ETSU is ten years in. Even though the South College program is newer, we are gaining recognition and respect from pharmacy affiliations all across the state of Tennessee. The faculty and staff come from different backgrounds, and we have some well known and respected faculty members that not only provide a great education, but also help us establish important connections. They are great professors, and they really care for each student. They will far exceed expectations to ensure that the students are doing well. Hopefully, you felt welcomed with open arms by everyone at your interview. Let me assure you that feeling stays around well into your pharmacy career if you decide to come to South College.
South has also been awarded accreditation by ACPE, which is a big accomplishment and milestone for the school. All the students and faculty take pride in that. This school thrives on professionalism and I believe that we demonstrate that each and every day. The school has an important mission statement and a set of goals that they are serious about upholding and accomplishing.
Next, let me touch on the community. I have been involved in some community outreach activities that connect us to community leaders, and everyone I have talked with has given us nothing but great feedback and said great things about South College. I have also worked with and talked to a number of preceptors that work with South College and they are excited with what South College students have to offer. They want to help us be successful and ensure that South College is known for its great pharmacy program.
Next, let me tell you about pharmacy organizations. Over the past few years South has been sending students to represent the program at regional and national conferences, such as APhA, SNAPhA, and TPA. We have even sat in on pharmacy board meetings in Nashville. Our students also attend the ASHP mid-year clinical meeting representing South College. This is the largest gathering of pharmacists worldwide and provides excellent networking opportunities for students. Students have gotten great feedback from professionals. South College has established connections in the pharmacy community across the state and is working hard to establish even more. We also had representatives from different pharmacy boards come to South to present to us, and they are supporting South College 100 percent.
South did just graduate its inaugural class. With the next class graduating in June, everyone is asking “What about residencies?” I am happy to say that the upper classmen did their first match for the PhorCAS recently and seven students successfully matched for a PGY1 pharmacy practice residency. We also have a current resident who will be finishing up in June. Honestly, I do not know other pharmacy schools percentages with matching but what I do know is it is extremely competitive. For our first couple of classes, which are small, it is tremendous to have seven students get matched. I know they will represent South College well.
I just wanted to give you a little information because sometimes there are questions about new programs. South College is not that “less” respected as other schools. We are not as well known YET. The administration, faculty, staff and students are determined to change that. We all believe that South College is an up and coming school that will be well known as a prestigious pharmacy school. Being a current student, I could not be happier with my choice to attend South College.