EU Citizen living in the U.S. needs advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Giovanotto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My options at the moment:
1) UK medical schools (Graduate medical programs, accelerated 4 years) - Currently applying to Cambridge and Birmingham
2) American MD (going to be tough, have yet to take MCAT)
3) American DO

Please advise: 1,2 or 3.
If you're too lazy to comment please just write which number you believe is best. Think of this as a poll. Please also consider finances/tuition costs. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can the moderators please move this to the "general international discussion". Thanks.

2 or 3.

Your chances at Cambridge and Birmingham are very low due to your GPA which would convert to an upper 2nd class. That makes you eligible for application but a lot of people have an upper 2nd class, making the competition extremely tough. The other thing is because you are applying as an EU resident? then you will be paying subsidized tuition fees. The reality is, EU candidates need to be better than home candidates for a spot generally. If you are applying international it won't be much easier because again they would prefer a UK candidate although as an international you would be paying higher fees. You have to keep in mind a lot of people apply with a 1st class honours degree along with much stronger ECs than you have. Cambridge and Birmingham both don't require an exam, if you can't prove anything through an exam your GPA and ECs are all they can rely on and at the moment, both are just over the minimum threshold. I could easily find you 100 candidates for GEM who would be able to provide something better to be honest.

There was a candidate from the US who got into a GEM program at Imperial. He had a 1st class honours degree along with a high UKCAT score I believe. That helped his case, however with a upper 2nd you are likely going to need to provide something else to cover for that weakness. If you had multiple publications that would help, but I don't know if you do.

You haven't taken the MCAT yet, and so really you don't know how well you'll do. I really recommend taking it, your chances for a US MD or DO are still alive if you score well. I don't know what your eventual plans are but if you want to practice in the US, no UK degree will be better than a US MD degree.

A 3.5 GPA doesn't sink your ship in the US, but it would in the UK especially since you are applying for GEM programs which are competitive to begin with and you don't have anything else backing you up.

If you've already applied, obviously just wait for the results, but in the meantime, studying for the MCAT is the best option really because your chances are best in the US.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply Medstart108. I am actually in the process right now of applying to the GEM programs in the UK. In late January I will be taking the MCAT so I will also start studying for that sometime soon. I had no idea it would of been so competitive, but I guess its still worth it for me to finish my application and submit.

Thanks for your reply Medstart108. I am actually in the process right now of applying to the GEM programs in the UK. In late January I will be taking the MCAT so I will also start studying for that sometime soon. I had no idea it would of been so competitive, but I guess its still worth it for me to finish my application and submit.

Good luck. I might sound harsh but I'm just being honest here. Cambridge is in many people's eyes equivalent to the top Ivies. It is really that competitive, 16 applications for 1 spot for its GEM Medicine program and nearly everyone offered accepts the spot. Birmingham is not much different.

You might want to look at the uk forum studentroom.co.uk. They have multiple threads on graduate entry medicine. You can get a better opinion on your chances there.

Thanks again Medstart, I understand. I also applied to the University of Bristol's Graduate Medicine program.

I'd love to have some more people chime in. Although I am sure you are on point Medstart, I was hoping this would of been more like a poll. Am I to assume 2 or 3 is pretty much the general consensus?

Another question that came up:

I've applied and am in the processing of hearing back from Bristol and Birmingham's 5 year medical program. I want to practice medicine in the US. At what point in your medical education in the UK can you apply for residency in the US? Is it after your 2nd foundation year? Meaning, when are you technically considered a doctor in the UK?

Side note: Nobody accepted me for GEM. I was not even considered -- they said that you can NOT have a foreign degree to be considered. You have to already be a UK student -- something to that extent.