Europe Dentistry VS US Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuvDMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys~ I am new to here and I just immigrate to US recently.
I have Bachelor Degree in Advertising back in my hometown Taiwan. Minor science background in high school and college. I want to be a dentist and work in US for very sure. There are two ways,

1. Attending Post bac to obtain science prerequisites credit for medical school--Take DAT--Apply US dental school. This will cost 2-3yrs "before" apply US dental school. I know acceptance rate for dental school is very low.
---> I am very worry I cannot be accepted into any dental school after 2-3yrs study,due to my weak science background. Most candidates must have strong science background like 7yrs above I guess.

2.Go to Europe this Autumn for dental degree- Return to US for 2yrs US dental school program for foreign trained dentist- get US license.The acceptance rate for that US international program is also very low.
---->What if I cannot get into any US dental school after 5yrs training in Europe, means I cannot work in US.

Above leading time to be a dentist are almost same. I am 31yrs old and really hesitate about how to make decision.
Can you guys give me some idea? Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
If I would you I will took the route one. you need to take science prerequisite courses in the college. take DAT and then apply for dental school. This route has higher acceptance rate than getting accepted from international dentist program after your dental degree in Europe. Getting the degree in Europe is at least 5 years. and then at least 2 years of international program in the US. And that's not counting for taking time for taking the boards and applying.
I would think route one is faster and easier in my opinion.

Very Difficult scenario, hundreds have now changed its numbers to thousands who are applying to international dental program CAAPID and it has been increasing with AADSAS application as well. Either fight for it right now or if you are thinking it difficult on either side this date, may be you will believe it to be impossible after few years, Nothing is as difficult as this but nevertheless selecting dentistry in the beginning was in itself was a brave move.

Good Luck

thank you for all reply. I start to wonder should I stick with my college major then doing business jobs. The only desire for me to be a dentist is salary and reputation as my parents told me. I even don't know do I really like dentistry. Some of my family members are dentist, they told me once I am a dentist I will start to love. Still very confuse. I will think more deeply.