Evaluate My Plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArmyVetNurse

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Any advice would be WELL appreciated! ...

The situation: I'm a semester away from graduating from an ADN (i.e., Associates) RN Nursing program. I've already had a little exposure to the medical world both as a nursing student, and while volunteering as an EMT-B.

I have excellent grades, I've already taken the 'real' (i.e., not for Allied Health but for science majors) Biology 1+2, Chemistry 1+2, I currently have a 4.0. I go to a regional state school, so tuition is cheap, but my college has little to no prestige or national standing. I started out in my RN program trying to learn as much as I could, but I never thought medical school would be a possibility until now.

The catch: One problem: I have a horrible uGPA from a bachelor's degree I did before I joined the Army. It's a 2.55 due to a series of classes I took while trying to switch my major. I started college two years early after my sophomore year of high school, and it kind of screwed my whole life up.

My plan:
(1) Work as an RN while taking the remainder of my second baccalaureate.
(1a) Should I take an online BSN from a major, well-respected state school (i.e., OSU), finish out my prerequisites, and take as many upper-level Bio courses as possible? OR--would it be worth it to finish out a B.S. in Biology and not even bother with the BSN? [The BSN would be a lot easier]
(2) Re-take as many classes as possible from my first baccalaureate.
(3) Apply to a college of osteopathic medicine.

My concerns would be that (a) they'd look at my as a career-hopper because I'm a nurse, (b) my state school is a 4 year, accredited public institution but it's not well-known, and (c) I'm having to re-take a boatload of classes.

Would (a)-(c), ceteris paribus, be a major obstacle to (3)? Also, should I pursue a B.S. in Bio or finish my BSN?

Thank you SO much, in advance!

:)

Members don't see this ad.