Evening classes and 40 hour work week??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

billsbills

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who are working full-time and not in a post-bacc program, how do you find a sufficient number of evening classes to attend? I have been doing a few course searches and can't seem to find enough classes held after 4pm. I live in a city with at least 2-3 universities in the immediate area but aside from the basic bio and so forth, none of the upper level science courses are ever scheduled for the evening.

How many of you were able to maintain your work schedule and still get the upper level courses completed? Is entering some program inevitable?

In summary, I guess I am basically pumping the non-traditional board on how everyone here manages to get everything done!

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you who are working full-time and not in a post-bacc program, how do you find a sufficient number of evening classes to attend? I have been doing a few course searches and can't seem to find enough classes held after 4pm. I live in a city with at least 2-3 universities in the immediate area but aside from the basic bio and so forth, none of the upper level science courses are ever scheduled for the evening.

How many of you were able to maintain your work schedule and still get the upper level courses completed? Is entering some program inevitable?

In summary, I guess I am basically pumping the non-traditional board on how everyone here manages to get everything done!

Do them at a community college. They have night programs and a lot of classes. That's what I did.

Do them at a community college. They have night programs and a lot of classes. That's what I did.

Actually, you might want to check before going the CC route. There are some schools that won't accept CC courses for your pre-reqs, and I think in general your grades are viewed more favorably if they come from a 4-yr. institution. (that said, I know there are people who get in with CC credits . . . I would research it).

I wish I could be of more help. I work a typical 40-hr workweek and take classes at night, but my university (Wash U in St. Louis) actually has a program w/plenty of night class offerings.

Quite honestly, I would think long and hard about doing the 40hr workweek + school (plus the volunteering, shadowing, etc. that you'll want to have to round out your app and get some exposure to the field). If I could do it over again, I either would have worked part time or found a job with hours that would have let me focus more on school (I was too busy and got some bad grades as a result.) If you can start out doing some of the pre-reqs at night (bio, etc.), maybe that's a good plan - do them one at a time and see how it goes. If it goes well, when you're ready to take some upper level classes, maybe that's the time to go part-time/find a different job, and take those classes during the day. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)

For a lot of us, to get the courses done in a reasonably short period of time and to spend the time necessary on courses, you basically had to knock the work hours down substantially (or even completely).

Alot of intro classes were easy to schedule for evenings. Now the farther i go i realize i will need to figure something out. I will more than likely take fridays off and try to get as many classes in on that day. Well im in the same boat so no worries, you will figure it out.

I would highly recommend doing it at a 4-year university as CultureDoc said, some schools just don't accept community college credits. Besides that, I think it is possible to work fulltime 40 hrs/per week, but I think you should find a job that is relatively laid-back and provides flexible schedules.

I know that I had a hard time focusing on my studies while working 50-60 hrs/week as an engineer at my last job because of all the deadlines demands. So I went and found a research job in lab where I can have afternoons off to go class. I still work 30-40 hrs/week, but it's nice because I can easily take a day or two off to study right before midterms and my supervisor is more understanding of my needs. It might not pay as much as my last job, but I get lots of downtime to study properly and to shadow and volunteer.

For what it's worth, all of the Texas schools that use TMDSAS (all of them aside from Baylor) accept credits from any accredited school, including community colleges.

I have been working full time and taking two classes per semester (one during summer), with one semester of part time work and full time school. Most classes were from a 4 year school, but I CLEPed 8 hours of chemistry at the local community college and took 8 more hours of physics at the same college. It's taken two and a half years to complete all of the pre-reqs for Texas schools (who require 14 hours of bio). I'm pretty excited about it now, with three interviews under my belt, but it wasn't a fun trip.

Which schools?

I don't remember all the schools off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure Boston University doesn't accept CC credits and as the previous poster said, Baylor also doesn't accept it.

I'm going to put a disclaimer and say that the rules aren't uniform and some schools do accept CC credit the same as they would if the credit came from a 4 year university. However, my premedical advisors and the medical school admissions directors that I've talked to all strongly encourage applicants to take their pre-reqs at a 4 year institution if at all possible. This is particularly true if the applicant is applying to competitive or private (as opposed to state) medical schools since those schools tend to be more stringent about their requirements.

The applicant may want to call the medical schools that he's interested in applying just to confirm if CC credit is accepted. However, I would only take CC courses as a last resort if there aren't any night classes offered by the universities around his area.

The community college vs. 4 year univ. flame war is starting to brew here :(

Hey...I can understand your situation as I worked 60 hour (minimum) weeks while I completed my postbac. I took some of my courses at a community college and some at a 4 year univ. that was a 50 mile drive in each direction.

The simple issue here is that you need to get these classes...and if that means you have to take night classes at a CC...so be it. Whatever you do don't EVER let anyone give you (especially people who have nothing better to do but spend time on message boards debating such asinine topics) crap about taking some your prereqs at a CC.

Most (90%) of pre-meds simply cannot fathom the effort put forth by most non-trads when applying to schools...so listening to the majority of opinions on this board is 'sketchy.' Sure, there are likely schools that will look down on prereqs taken at a CC...the simple truth of life is that those are schools you simply don't want to go to.

Get your classes out of the way however you need to. If you can get to a 4 year univ, that's great...if you get them at a CC...that's great too. Be proud of the work did...wherever you did it...and it will show to an adcom.

Sure, there are likely schools that will look down on prereqs taken at a CC...the simple truth of life is that those are schools you simply don't want to go to.

very possibly the silliest way to select med schools. Obviously you do what you have to do. But if you have the option, do the things that keep the greatest number of doors open. Do not that the "well, if they don't like it F' em attitude".

I'd just like to clarify my previous post. I know that the TMDSAS schools do accept CC credits, but I don't know anything about Baylor, as it isn't part of the TMDSAS. Baylor may or may not accept CC hours; I just don't want anyone to misunderstand my previous post.

As an FYI, the Baylor website states that the pre-reqs must be from a fully accredited college or university, so I would expect CC credits to be accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
I attended one evening class and also had one online class at the University of Minnesota this past winter. It was tough since I was working a 50+ hour job in mortgage/finance and had a 20 mile commute to campus (in MN winter!). Now, I actually work AT the U of M and am pretty much still taking one evening class + one online..it seems to be a nice balance. Now I need to figure out a way to ask permission to take a class over the lunch hour....

Taking CC classes probably hurt your chances at some schools.

That being said, even in a major metro area, it can be hard to find night classes at a four-year university. Also, an intro course at a four-year might include lecture, discussion for that lecture, lab, and prep recitation or whatever it's called for that lab. Sometimes these have to all be scheduled separately. At a CC, you're only looking at lecture and lab components, which are often scheduled together or in the same time slots.

As for quality, my bio and chem CC classes were competitive and excellent. I was snobby and apprehensive at first. Physics was too easy, and I probably should have taken calc-based just for the likely added difficulty.

Shift work at a university hospital. I worked three 12hr shifts a week (7p-7a) Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I took classes during the week, tuition-free.

Other than occasionally taking exams on Mondays after having worked all night, the whole process worked out very well. I highly recommend it.

Shift work at a university hospital. I worked three 12hr shifts a week (7p-7a) Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I took classes during the week, tuition-free.

Other than occasionally taking exams on Mondays after having worked all night, the whole process worked out very well. I highly recommend it.
can you please elaborate about what job you had, and what school you went to and what hospital would pay full tuition for all those classes. I was just curious as alot of employers have caps on tuition reimbursement or dont do it at all anymore.

I've completed all the pre-req classes at community colleges while working 40 hour weeks. It took 3 years. And it sucked. If you go this route, I hope you went to a reputable undergrad institution and you can smack the MCAT. That demonstrates to the schools that you didn't go to a community college for easy A's and that you learned the requisite science material from those classes.

If you find you need more time to study and relax than a brutal full-time work schedule and 3-4 nights of class/week affords you and/or you find the caliber of instruction to be poor, then by all means cut back your hours and enroll at a 4-year institution or in a post-bacc program.

For me, the deciding factors were that I like my job and I was extremely hesitant to take on significant debt prior to beginning med school. If I get accepted this year, I will not be sorry for having gone this route.

That was my $0.02 :p

I've completed all the pre-req classes at community colleges while working 40 hour weeks. It took 3 years. And it sucked. If you go this route, I hope you went to a reputable undergrad institution and you can smack the MCAT. That demonstrates to the schools that you didn't go to a community college for easy A's and that you learned the requisite science material from those classes.

If you find you need more time to study and relax than a brutal full-time work schedule and 3-4 nights of class/week affords you and/or you find the caliber of instruction to be poor, then by all means cut back your hours and enroll at a 4-year institution or in a post-bacc program.

For me, the deciding factors were that I like my job and I was extremely hesitant to take on significant debt prior to beginning med school. If I get accepted this year, I will not be sorry for having gone this route.

That was my $0.02 :p

I had a similar story. Graduated from my state school for undergrad and then went back to CC in the evening to pick up science courses that I had never taken in undergrad. Though these classes were mostly evening / weekend as I was going to business school every other evening or so as well. Of about the dozen or so interviews I attended, you want to know how many times I was asked about my CC classes: 0. No one cares. Most adcom have seen plenty of apps from non-trads that they know this story all to well. So don't sweat it.

Hi there,

you can definitely manage it. From my research most schools will accept CC credits but there are a few that won't. research research research.

Having said that I work for Maricopa community colleges, so of course I'm going to do my prereqs with them (would be insane not too bc I get free tuition and don't plan to apply to any school that doesn't accept cc credits).

I don't know if you're adverse to it, but you can find online lectures that have hybrid labs. I don't know about other states, but in AZ Midwestern and U of A will accept these online classes that have hybrid labs. Hybrid labs mean they ship you a lab kit and you do the lab assignments and send the results back to the instructor online. I don't know how it works, but I verified that they were acceptable. You might want to check it out... it's tough when you have to work FT, I wish I could reduce my hours.. but my husband was laid off 5 weeks ago. gah.

Thanks for posting this; this is an area that I'm struggling with right now.

I to face the same issue. I'm in Atlanta, and most upper level science courses (3000 and 4000) are generally for science majors and are only offered in the late mornings, 10-ish and afternoons with labs finishing around 2-4pm. I cannot work full time and take afternoon classes. My current job role is somewhat demanding and the only time I can take upper levels are in the evening, so flexibility without loosing a paycheck might not be an option for me, so what's a lady to do?
I plan on going to school in my home state so I will be calling maybe tomorrow to verify.
Also CC colleges around here either does not offer uppers such as biochemistry or again it's during the afternoons like regular 4 yr universities around here. decisions and choices.....

I to face the same issue. I'm in Atlanta, and most upper level science courses (3000 and 4000) are generally for science majors and are only offered in the late mornings, 10-ish and afternoons with labs finishing around 2-4pm. I cannot work full time and take afternoon classes. My current job role is somewhat demanding and the only time I can take upper levels are in the evening, so flexibility without loosing a paycheck might not be an option for me, so what's a lady to do?
I plan on going to school in my home state so I will be calling maybe tomorrow to verify.
Also CC colleges around here either does not offer uppers such as biochemistry or again it's during the afternoons like regular 4 yr universities around here. decisions and choices.....

I feel really bad for people who have started a family, own a house, have full-time careers and want to make career changes or go to college to improve their life. It is so hard for these people.

The regular aged pre-meds have no idea how hard it is.

Three thoughts I had, looking at this...

1. (Most important) Why are you taking upper level classes? Is it simply a grade boost? In that case are there lower-level math courses you could take that would up your BCPM? I can't think of any medical schools that are picky about upper-level science courses, aside from VCOM......

2. (Less important) Look for schools with programs that are geared towards working professionals. I followed the Science in the Evening program through the University of Maryland (which I highly recommend, by the way) and got through in a year and a half, taking one credit per semester + 40-hour work weeks. I also took summer classes since my job allowed me a lot of summer time, and that's an area you could look at as well if you could cut some time out around summer.

3. For those of you stuck not being able to take upper level courses because of major restrictions, email the professor and explain the situation. If there are empty seats remaining after classes are finished registering, most professors in my old university had no problem letting you become a part of the class. (And this was a BIG school.)

PM me if you're in Maryland and want to learn more about Science in the Evening @ UMD.

I too was in the science in the evning program and had the reverse experience. The professors were very poor and the quality of instruction was lacking. That being said, I was in the program only for Organic I and II which i would not recommend taking while working a 40+ hour week like I did.

Three thoughts I had, looking at this...

1. (Most important) Why are you taking upper level classes? Is it simply a grade boost? In that case are there lower-level math courses you could take that would up your BCPM? I can't think of any medical schools that are picky about upper-level science courses, aside from VCOM......

2. (Less important) Look for schools with programs that are geared towards working professionals. I followed the Science in the Evening program through the University of Maryland (which I highly recommend, by the way) and got through in a year and a half, taking one credit per semester + 40-hour work weeks. I also took summer classes since my job allowed me a lot of summer time, and that's an area you could look at as well if you could cut some time out around summer.

3. For those of you stuck not being able to take upper level courses because of major restrictions, email the professor and explain the situation. If there are empty seats remaining after classes are finished registering, most professors in my old university had no problem letting you become a part of the class. (And this was a BIG school.)

PM me if you're in Maryland and want to learn more about Science in the Evening @ UMD.

I wish option # 2 was that easy. You'd think with ATL being such a huge city, they'd offer more evening programs geared towards working adults. You can find those classes, however they are all during midday, which is not an option at the moment.
Option #1 is one of the state school here in GA recommend biochemistry, adn therefore this is an upper level course, in which various pre-reqs are required. I'm finding out that GA, well metro ATL isnt so 'working adult' friendly unless it's via online or non science related degree. Lastly, I wanted to go to a 4 yr institution to eradicate the Community College vs. 4 -yr all together. However, I might can make a case to the ADCOMS about my circumstance and see if they will accept CC credits.

if push comes to shove, I'd have to exit the workforce all together and hope that husband can 'cover' us for at least 6 yrs> 2 yrs towards informal post-bacc and 4 yrs med school.

I too was in the science in the evning program and had the reverse experience. The professors were very poor and the quality of instruction was lacking. That being said, I was in the program only for Organic I and II which i would not recommend taking while working a 40+ hour week like I did.

My Organic I experience in SITE was brutal, largely because of the professor... but I would turn around and place a large amount of that blame on some evidently extraordinarily high-strung students in my class. (It was an odd class altogether.) I think what was most valuable to me about SITE was the ability to interact with others my age who were also going through the 40+ work week. Those you talk to also understand the huge commitment you have to make as well as the frustration of combining work and school, and are much more level-headed in general.

But I digress.

I wish option # 2 was that easy. You'd think with ATL being such a huge city, they'd offer more evening programs geared towards working adults. You can find those classes, however they are all during midday, which is not an option at the moment.
Option #1 is one of the state school here in GA recommend biochemistry, adn therefore this is an upper level course, in which various pre-reqs are required. I'm finding out that GA, well metro ATL isnt so 'working adult' friendly unless it's via online or non science related degree. Lastly, I wanted to go to a 4 yr institution to eradicate the Community College vs. 4 -yr all together. However, I might can make a case to the ADCOMS about my circumstance and see if they will accept CC credits.

That's really unfortunate... I certainly would think Atlanta would have more to offer. :(

In terms of CC credits... I could be entirely off base, but I imagine most medical schools accept them. I think it's more a matter of avoiding the stigma of CC versus 4-year. For example, the University of Maryland Medical School states on their website that they will accept them but prefer that the majority of classes are taken at a 4-year college / university. So as long as most of your classes (particularly BCPM) are not CC-related, you may be in the clear. Do you have a pre-med advisor you can speak with?

Moreover, Biochemistry is one of the courses that med schools love for students to take because they teach it, and med students find it far easier to take the course a second time. That said, it's not required by most schools as far as I know... so while it would definitely be beneficial, it would not be a problem if you could not take it.

My Organic I experience in SITE was brutal, largely because of the professor... but I would turn around and place a large amount of that blame on some evidently extraordinarily high-strung students in my class. (It was an odd class altogether.) I think what was most valuable to me about SITE was the ability to interact with others my age who were also going through the 40+ work week. Those you talk to also understand the huge commitment you have to make as well as the frustration of combining work and school, and are much more level-headed in general.

But I digress.

That's really unfortunate... I certainly would think Atlanta would have more to offer. :(

In terms of CC credits... I could be entirely off base, but I imagine most medical schools accept them. I think it's more a matter of avoiding the stigma of CC versus 4-year. For example, the University of Maryland Medical School states on their website that they will accept them but prefer that the majority of classes are taken at a 4-year college / university. So as long as most of your classes (particularly BCPM) are not CC-related, you may be in the clear. Do you have a pre-med advisor you can speak with?

Moreover, Biochemistry is one of the courses that med schools love for students to take because they teach it, and med students find it far easier to take the course a second time. That said, it's not required by most schools as far as I know... so while it would definitely be beneficial, it would not be a problem if you could not take it.

you are right Xiuying. I looked on Emory's website and they state 'college or university' and have a listing of all regional accredited institutions: http://www.chea.org/search/actionInst.asp, and of course most CC colleges are listed. I will check with Medical College of Georgia and Mercer's acceptance of pre reqs and verify.
Though this leads to another question of which is perferred though. If a student of equal background, scores, etc were matched side by side, with the only exception of science courses were taken, would they win over me, even if they got the same grades in each class? I guess this is the unknown, but my overall GPA and science gpa from 8 years ago are not that bad so I will not have to do too much gpa damage control.
Thank you!

The issue of CC vs 4 year schools has been discussed many times. Try doing a search.

The main idea is that almost no schools will not accept these credits (there are some exceptions), but going to a CC will put you at a disadvantage at a number of schools. Yes, this can be overcome with a strong application, but why put yourself in this position if you don't have to.

Try calling around or browsing online course schedules at many of your local schools. Big schools should offer the basic prereqs in a night class. As someone suggested, check out programs that are geared towards working adults.

The issue of CC vs 4 year schools has been discussed many times. Try doing a search.

The main idea is that almost no schools will not accept these credits (there are some exceptions), but going to a CC will put you at a disadvantage at a number of schools. Yes, this can be overcome with a strong application, but why put yourself in this position if you don't have to.

Try calling around or browsing online course schedules at many of your local schools. Big schools should offer the basic prereqs in a night class. As someone suggested, check out programs that are geared towards working adults.

Gman33 I've done the research, please see my previous post and I have read the debate between CC and 4yr, however it's still up in the air. At this time, most medical schools in GA are closed for the holiday so I will call them personally and find out their take on the various courses.
again in GA, there are no 'adult' science courses to take at night, only a few universities offer them such as general bio and chemistery, however when getting into organic and sometimes even physics, they are offered mid day which is not an option for me unless I quit my job all together.

I'm taking classes in the Science in the Evening program. Just curious, who'd you take Organic I with?

I agree it is a good program. I've been able to take 2 classes a semester while still working full time as an engineer. I don't have much free time, but if you budget your time correctly, it can be done without sacrificing grades.

Its not easy, but not impossible. You may have to jump around a bit.

You don't say where you live, or what kind of job you have, but I'll tell you what I've done.

I live in New York City, and I work full time at a hospital. My work hours are 6 in the morning until 3 pm every day. NY has a CUNY (City University of New York) college system comprised of several schools. I "matriculated" at one school, where I took chem I and II, and orgo chem I and II over the spring and fall semesters, one at a time, because that's all i could fit time wise into my schedule. I already have an undergrad degree that I received in 2004, so I didnt need a new degree, I just needed the science pre-reqs before I took the MCAT. I was in work until 3pm, then drove back to the school by 430 pm, would drop by my apartment to do homework or read, and was in class by 630 pm until almost 10 pm at night, three days a week. During the summer I took Bio I and II ( summer 2007) after work at ANOTHER cuny school because the first one didnt offer evening summer classes so had to go elsewhere over the summer, four or five days a week, from 6 pm until almost 11 pm every day, then had to be at work again at 6 the next morning. Took Physics I and II at a third CUNY school in summer 2008, same deal, five days a week, four hours a day after work. All summer long I was dealing with being out of my apartment 15-17 hours a day, then going home, sleeping a couple hours, waking up and doing it all over again. During the regular semesters it was almost the same schedule except it was 3 days a week instead of five days a week due to not being summer sessions. I dont think that taking one class at at time puts me at a disadvantage at all, because its not like I spent the rest of the day sitting on my bum doing nothing. I work in a high stress, healthcare job all day long, I have my own patients that I treat, and that's alot more clinical experience to talk about in an interview than some 22 year old kid who spent 3 hours a week volunteering in an ER or shadowing some doctor. I have my OWN patients, I dont watch some doctor talk to his a couple hours a week. There are benefits to being a non-trad, and maturity and experience are just two of those benefits. Alot of 20 year old kids in my science courses (I am current 26, by the way, and just finished the pre reqs this semester and taking the MCAT in April 2009), but anyway, alot of these 20 year old kids had no idea what its really like to work with patients, or be a doctor, or work in a hospital. They'd see someone do surgery and decide "oh how cool, I want to be a doctor". Well duh! Watching surgery is exciting! How about dealing with a**hole patients and still having to treat them with the same medical urgency you treat anyone else? Or going to work in the morning and having one of your patients have a siezure in your office and die in your arms as you try to revive them from the overdose of drugs they just took? These are things I have done that no one else in my classes can say they did by volunteering 3 hours a week in a hospital.

Anyway, By "shopping around" at different universitites, I was able to find evening classes in each subject for the most part. I did four classes at one school, two at another, and two at a third. I called some med schools in the area to ask them if it was really a bad thing to have done it this way, since my job didnt allow me to have time for a "traditional" post bacc program (eg- Columbia univeristy had an official post-bacc, but it was full time and day time classes, so there was no way I could do that. I have rent to pay!) and all the med schools I spoke to told me that while they preferred you take full course loads and all at the same school, it was not a negtative thing to do it my way. They understand that alot of people are "non traditional" students now adays. You can't compare a 22 year old who has never had a real job in their life, who still has mommy and daddy paying for everything, with someone like me who is already a college graduate (from a top school, no less) , who is working full time in a very stressful job, has rent to pay, and can't just quit their job to go back to school full time.

Again, you didnt say what type of job you have, or what flexibility you have with your schedule, or where you live, but you don't need to take all those upper level science courses to apply to med school. You need an undergrad degree, the 2 semesters of chem, o-chem, bio and physics, and a good GPA in all of the above, and even more important, a great MCAT. Seriously, my aunt works on a med school admissions comittee, and the MCAT can and will make or break your application, because its the one factor that is the same for every applicant to be compared against one another. You dont HAVE to take Biochem, or advanced physics and chem and bio courses, etc, to apply to medical school. It helps, sure, to have more on your plate, but not if you can't ace them becuse you are struggling to get to work every day and pay all your bills. Its just how it is. Every school says in the description of a class whether it is meant for "pre health" people or "non science" majors. Take the ones for "pre health" people: general chem I and II, Organic chem I and II, Physics I and II and Bio I and II, ace the MCAT, have great experience outside of work if you dont already work in a medical field like I do, and go for it. Volunteering in anything (I volunteered at a residental program for families that are homeless with HIV/AIDS), and clinical experience (if you don't work in medical like I do, then you must volunteer and shadow as much as you can at a hospital) are very important as well. Focus on those more than taking upper level science courses that you dont need to apply to med school.

Applying as a non trad is NOT the same as applying as a traditional student, 22 years old right out of college, and dont let anyone tell you anything different. The pre health advisor at my current school is a total *****. She actually had the nerve to tell me that "if you were serious about medical school you would have quit your job to take full course load" Um, hello? I have RENT to pay, and what the hell did she think i did as an undergrad???? I took a full courseload for FOUR years! Now I WORK at a HOSPITAL FULL TIME with my OWN PATIENTS, AND I am taking science classes AND getting better grades than my 20 year old counterparts who have nothing better to do than wake up at 10 am and go to classes all day and not have to deal with people dying on their office bloody floor !

Sorry this is so long, but I get so worked up when people say things like there is some definite formula for getting into medical school, and that straying from it is a death sentence. So untrue. Yes, grades are important, but MCAT is even more important, and once you get the interviews, your personality, composure, maturity and life experience (medical/clinical, volunteering, research, etc) are even more important. I know plenty of people that know how to study study study and get good grades but have no conception of the real world or medicine in a rational, realistic way, and they couldnt get into medical schools.

Sorry if these seems long and babbling but its been a long night and im a little delirious right now! Good luck! feel free to PM with any questions and I might be more comprehensible when Ive slept a little ;-)

happy Holidays!

The community college vs. 4 year univ. flame war is starting to brew here :(

Hey...I can understand your situation as I worked 60 hour (minimum) weeks while I completed my postbac. I took some of my courses at a community college and some at a 4 year univ. that was a 50 mile drive in each direction.

The simple issue here is that you need to get these classes...and if that means you have to take night classes at a CC...so be it. Whatever you do don't EVER let anyone give you (especially people who have nothing better to do but spend time on message boards debating such asinine topics) crap about taking some your prereqs at a CC.

Most (90%) of pre-meds simply cannot fathom the effort put forth by most non-trads when applying to schools...so listening to the majority of opinions on this board is 'sketchy.' Sure, there are likely schools that will look down on prereqs taken at a CC...the simple truth of life is that those are schools you simply don't want to go to.

Get your classes out of the way however you need to. If you can get to a 4 year univ, that's great...if you get them at a CC...that's great too. Be proud of the work did...wherever you did it...and it will show to an adcom.

I have to disagree a little here. I have an aunt that works on a medical school admissions comittee and have spoken to many med school admit comms. While many have said that taking courses at several 4 year schools is OK, NONE of them said they would really like to see CC classes. Especially if you already have a degree from a 4 year undergrad institution. I went to a top 40 university in the entire country, so to go take classes at a community college would not give ANY adcom a good indication as to how well I did in a science course. Not to bum on community colleges, but they are much, much easier than most 4 year schools. Sorry, thats just how it is.

Trust me, I am 26 year old non trad applicant, have been spending 2 years taking the science pre reqs I never took in undergrad WHILE working 40+ hours a week at a hospital AND having family and other obligations AND trying to save my sanity by seeing friends once in a while and etc. Alot of stress. BUT, I only took my science courses at four year schools.

I admit that, being in New York City, I have alot of schools at my disposal, so I took all my chem classes at one school (gen chem I/II and orgo I/II), and then took bio and physics at another school because they had those classes in the evening and my first school didnt in the summer. Some people in areas with limited schools in the area might not have the option to even "shop around" for classes that fit their work schedule like I did, BUT, if you can at all take science courses at a 4 year school instead of a CC, it will be a real difference. Med schools look down on community college courses, they are, as a general rule, much easier then four year schools. Sorry! The basic use of a community college is for people who need to boost their grades in order to get accepted into four year schools. Thus, they tend to be a little easier and not as demanding, as they generally are dealing with people who are either not used to school or did poorly in high school or something and need to "prove" themselves and improve grades to get into a 4-year undergrad.

Please dont attack me thinking I am saying that all people at CC's are idiots, that's not what Im saying. But, let's be realistic.....they are easier than most 4 year schools, and if you already have degree from a four year school, taking your science classes at a CC is going to look like you were looking for an easy "A" to a med school. This is what I have heard "off the record" from many adcoms, including my own aunt who works as one.

Good luck....

Well, I started doing post-bacc in january 2007, I work fulltime as a software engineer and the biggest advantage I had is that my job gives me alot of flexibility with my schedule.... Example, my first post-bacc semester, i worked from 7AM till 3:25PM, I would leave work at 3:25 and be in class before 4 PM and the lecture started at 4:10 PM, this was General chemistry, along with this, I took the Gen Chemistry lab, which If memory serves me, it started at 6 PM and ended @9 on wednesdays.

That was the hardest of my post-bacc semesters, not because the material was hard, but because I was out of school for 3.5+ years AND on top of that, I was never really the "studying" type (we computer science folks never study, we just do the 3 P's: Party, Play, & Punch keyboards).... I didn't really know how to study at first haha

Today, after 2 years of post-bacc (and still at the same job), I have completed 32 credits, with a straight 4.0 and just last week, I gave my job my 3-week notice. I will be quitting Janury 9th so I can take 1 final semester as a post-bacc (I am aiming for 17 credits, but it might get dropped down to just 10 due to an early head start for the MCATS)...

The key to doing this whole post-bacc + fulltime work is to PLAN A HEAD !!!! I had planned my past 2 years the first 6 months I started this whole process, its hard to just "wing it" cause sometimes you come accross classes that are ONLY offered fall or spring, if you don't plan accordingly, your gonna have to wait a whole year (or take them at summer which in my opinion is not a good way to study your basic pre-meds)

One thing I forgot to mention is....

Of the 32 credits I have taken thus far, 24 of them are from MSU, and only 8 came from C.C....Only reason I had to take the C.C classes is because those were never really offered at a good time at MSU, even with my flex schedule, it was just pretty hard to get into.

However, going forward, all my classes will be taken at MSU ( or any other 4-year university)...... I don't have anything against C.C, but with medical school competition increasing every year, I want my application to have the best chance possible, so if there is a rumor (just a rumor) that University level courses are looked upon more favorably than C.C, then I'll blindly believe it, I really don't wanna take a chance....

I'm jumping in on this a little late, but I was able to find all of the classes that I needed and still work 40 hours (sorta) through a combination of these 3:

1. Evening classes
2. Early morning classes (usually they fill up last, which worked best, because as a non-degree seeker, I had to register last.) I would just work later on those days.
3. Using vacation

The hardest classes were the labs. Some had evening sessions, but some didn't. That's where I had to use vacation (so, I guess by using vacation I wasn't technically working 40 hours per week, but I was getting paid for working full-time.) Best of luck!

For those of you that used flexibility in our workweek, how did you approach your employer about either taking classes early morning and working later in the day or working early in the morning, and taking classes in early evening?

I'm sure my employer will provide some flexibility, however I'm not at a point where I want to share my 'career change' aspirations to them just yet.
Just curious on how each of you approached this, if asked by employer.

yeh, you DEFENETLY don't wanna tell them what you want to do, cause then everyone in the office is going to be like "oh... your not trying hard enough at your job anymore because your going to be a Dr. anyways" (its really annoying).... I made the mistake of telling people what I really wanted to do with my post-bacc about 6 months back, I shouldn't have done that, cause they make me feel like I don't try hard enough at my job and thats not true at all, I try to do my best regardless if I have 10 years or 10 days left at any job

When I started my post-bacc 2 years back and asked my job for flexible schedule, they asked why, I said I've always had a childhood passion for learning Chemistry, I just wanna go back to earn my 2nd bachelors in chemistry, I told them its just a hobby and thats it (it was sort of true, since most of your pre-meds are chemistry based courses anyways)...... Pretty much everyone was ok with it, since EVERYONE knows you can't get a job as a "chemist" any where lol.... so they know you woun't be quitting your current job anytime soon.

For those of you that used flexibility in our workweek, how did you approach your employer about either taking classes early morning and working later in the day or working early in the morning, and taking classes in early evening?

I'm sure my employer will provide some flexibility, however I'm not at a point where I want to share my 'career change' aspirations to them just yet.
Just curious on how each of you approached this, if asked by employer.

well you havent said where you work or what you do, so kind of hard to tell you how to approach it.

There was a semester when I had to take a class that started at 1:40 p.m., and I didn't finish work normally until at least 3 pm, so I was freaking out about having to take a semester break.

I work for a hospital clinic, and unfortunately the schedule of the clinic was such that I had no flexibility with shifts, so I was lucky (very very lucky) to have a really understanding manager. Ive always been a hard worker, always have ALL my paperwork done on time (which in a healthcare setting is a godsend to any manager, because paperwork is never ending) and I was honest with my manager, to the most part. I didn't say I wanted to apply to medical school right away, but, I told her I was thinking about going to grad school to further my education medically, which she assumed to be a master's degree of some kind which is useful in any field, really, and doesn't necessarily mean I would leave the company. I told her I really needed this class to continue on a straight track as a prerequisiste to applying to the grad program, and I made a deal with her: I am there until the clinic closed to patients (at 12:30 pm), at which point I would leave to go to school. In return, my work does not drop, everything gets handed in on time, and if there is an emergency one day I would skip a class as long as it wasn't a lab day (eg- if the administrators from the hospital came, which they rarely do, on a lecture day I'd stick around. I never actually had to do this).

As well, I basically told her, off the record, that I would NOT tell any of my co-workers about how she was helping me. If they asked why I was leaving early so much, I told them I wasn't feeling well, or that I had a medical concern and was seeing a doctor on a regular basis, or that I had physical therapy for the ankle I broke a while ago, or whatever, so this way other people wouldn't come asking her for the same favor. She really did me a solid, as if I had formally requested so much time off from administration they never would have approved it, so my manager basically let me sneak out of work for a whole semester, two hour early, three days a week. She saved my butt.

So , basically, its hard to say to YOU what to do as you havent said what you do, where you work, what your hours are, etc, but alot depends on the relationship you have with your superiors. I was lucky to have a great manager who , I think, sort of looked at me and probably thought about her own daughter and gave me a break to help me "advance" myself . But at the same time, I worked my ass off AT work to always do EVERYTHING she hasked me to do. Sometimes it was annoying, as she would ask me to take care of patients way more than other people, but I bit my tongue and did it because at the end of the day she was doing me a favor. You rub someone's back, they do the same for you, you know?

If your management sucks and won't work with you, you're a little screwed, but its still doable. Most four year schools offer the same classes in both fall and spring semesters , and some probably even have science courses in the summer in the evening. If you have to take them at more than one school , then so be it. As long as they are four year universities, the medical school will understand. Better to do that than take a community college class: go to any medical school website and read their FAQ's on requirements for admission and they will politely state that "While we do not refuse requirements for admission taken at a community college, we do not reccommend it" (that was taken from the NYU medical school website for admissions). They are nicely saying that while you can take them at a CC if you want, they aren't going to look favorably at it. On the other hand, they DO request transcripts from every school you've ever attended after high school, so they'll see all your science courses no matter where you take them. So take them wherever you can fit it into your schedule at a four year school.

Goooooooood luck

well you havent said where you work or what you do, so kind of hard to tell you how to approach it.

There was a semester when I had to take a class that started at 1:40 p.m., and I didn't finish work normally until at least 3 pm, so I was freaking out about having to take a semester break.

I work for a hospital clinic, and unfortunately the schedule of the clinic was such that I had no flexibility with shifts, so I was lucky (very very lucky) to have a really understanding manager. Ive always been a hard worker, always have ALL my paperwork done on time (which in a healthcare setting is a godsend to any manager, because paperwork is never ending) and I was honest with my manager, to the most part. I didn't say I wanted to apply to medical school right away, but, I told her I was thinking about going to grad school to further my education medically, which she assumed to be a master's degree of some kind which is useful in any field, really, and doesn't necessarily mean I would leave the company. I told her I really needed this class to continue on a straight track as a prerequisiste to applying to the grad program, and I made a deal with her: I am there until the clinic closed to patients (at 12:30 pm), at which point I would leave to go to school. In return, my work does not drop, everything gets handed in on time, and if there is an emergency one day I would skip a class as long as it wasn't a lab day (eg- if the administrators from the hospital came, which they rarely do, on a lecture day I'd stick around. I never actually had to do this).

As well, I basically told her, off the record, that I would NOT tell any of my co-workers about how she was helping me. If they asked why I was leaving early so much, I told them I wasn't feeling well, or that I had a medical concern and was seeing a doctor on a regular basis, or that I had physical therapy for the ankle I broke a while ago, or whatever, so this way other people wouldn't come asking her for the same favor. She really did me a solid, as if I had formally requested so much time off from administration they never would have approved it, so my manager basically let me sneak out of work for a whole semester, two hour early, three days a week. She saved my butt.

So , basically, its hard to say to YOU what to do as you havent said what you do, where you work, what your hours are, etc, but alot depends on the relationship you have with your superiors. I was lucky to have a great manager who , I think, sort of looked at me and probably thought about her own daughter and gave me a break to help me "advance" myself . But at the same time, I worked my ass off AT work to always do EVERYTHING she hasked me to do. Sometimes it was annoying, as she would ask me to take care of patients way more than other people, but I bit my tongue and did it because at the end of the day she was doing me a favor. You rub someone's back, they do the same for you, you know?

If your management sucks and won't work with you, you're a little screwed, but its still doable. Most four year schools offer the same classes in both fall and spring semesters , and some probably even have science courses in the summer in the evening. If you have to take them at more than one school , then so be it. As long as they are four year universities, the medical school will understand. Better to do that than take a community college class: go to any medical school website and read their FAQ's on requirements for admission and they will politely state that "While we do not refuse requirements for admission taken at a community college, we do not reccommend it" (that was taken from the NYU medical school website for admissions). They are nicely saying that while you can take them at a CC if you want, they aren't going to look favorably at it. On the other hand, they DO request transcripts from every school you've ever attended after high school, so they'll see all your science courses no matter where you take them. So take them wherever you can fit it into your schedule at a four year school.

Goooooooood luck

I work in the IT field at a major Telecommunications company as a Business Analyst. Generally work is from 9am-5pm with me working many escalations and need to be the voice of my team and speaking with the 'business' on any issues needing to be addressed. Also I've only been working at this job for about 3 months as a contractor...so many IT folks can understand the situation.
However I'm not going to start post-bac until Fall of 09 so by then it would be close to 1 yr. My manger is nice but I'm still hesitant to provide her my intentions of medicine. I'll just play it by ear and see how the relationship progresses in the upcoming months.

I'm jumping in on this a little late, but I was able to find all of the classes that I needed and still work 40 hours (sorta) through a combination of these 3:

1. Evening classes
2. Early morning classes (usually they fill up last, which worked best, because as a non-degree seeker, I had to register last.) I would just work later on those days.
3. Using vacation

The hardest classes were the labs. Some had evening sessions, but some didn't. That's where I had to use vacation (so, I guess by using vacation I wasn't technically working 40 hours per week, but I was getting paid for working full-time.) Best of luck!

Could not have said it better.......worked full time as a pharmaceutical rep and made the pre reqs work. Was tough but doable.

As a follow up t another post that said us non trads with kids and a house had it sooooo hard, I would compare it to the seasoned athelete at his / her prime. They have been through the rookie sensation period (young guns) then grew a little older and saw some skills deteriorate (mariage/kids/mortgage/career) and had to become smarter a.k.a a pitcher versus just a thrower (balance everything plus school).

I owuld argue, I did better in everything (except sleep). Had my best two years at work ever, marriage stronger, more quality time with kids....though no time going out with friends or napping, etc....

Being insanely busy forces you to budget every hour of your day. In that respect you know you dont have time so you pan to spend quality time with wife / kids / work committments, etc.....

I strongly suggest sitting down with an ADCOM person and discussing CC vs Uni credits.

I work 40+ and go to CC for my prereqs, it is possible, but it is darn tough.

From my experience and meeting with UC Davis, they actually recommended the local CCs for the pre-reqs. I have not looked much further afield than this.

Cheers,

JB

Firstly, you sure can work full time and take classes that way. There is no "need" to enter a formal program, but you have to find these classes somehow in a way that will fit your schedule. You may have to move your work hours one afternoon a week or something in order to be there earlier, etc.. and/or look for a Saturday morning version of the class.

For me, work flexibility was reasonably easy. I did NOT tell them I was going to apply to medical school, but simply that I was signing up for an evening class and in order to be there on time I needed to leave by XXpm on that day.

Don't take too many classes at once, either. You want to have great grades, from whatever school you take them at. All A's from your community college, especially if that is the only reasonable choice in your area, looks a lot better than C's from another school. A's are A's, and look like A's.

Good luck!