Ever feel like dental school is way over your head?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

mitrieD

Ever feel like applying to dental school is way over your head at times? I don't have any friends who are trying to get into dental/med/pharmacy school so doing all of this by myself gets really daunting at times. My parents also have no idea how this process works. Anyone else feel the same or in the same position? I feel like I'm going to miss something really big in the application process and won't have time to complete it in the last minute.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
that's where SDN comes in brotha!!

Reactions: 9 users
I'm the same! Family stopped helping me with school since 1st grade. Only one friend who's pre-dent, majority pre-med. I guess I got some insight on the process based on the pre-meds, but I felt like I had to figure things out for myself for the most part!

If your school has a pre-dent (or pre-health) club or any pre-health advisers, utilize them unlike me!

And yes, figured out some stuff from SDN as well! :)

Ask as many questions about the application process on here if necessary! For example, figure out how to make yourself look good and repeat things if possible if they fall under volunteer, extracurricular, etc. I didn't know this and mistakenly didn't put my volunteering club as extracurricular T_T. There are more examples of this on my application lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ever feel like applying to dental school is way over your head at times? I don't have any friends who are trying to get into dental/med/pharmacy school so doing all of this by myself gets really daunting at times. My parents also have no idea how this process works. Anyone else feel the same or in the same position? I feel like I'm going to miss something really big in the application process and won't have time to complete it in the last minute.

You just described my last 5 months. I have to figure out the whole application process myself along the way. I made some mistakes here and there but they weren't too major. If I have to do it again though I feel like I would have done a much better job. In the end, it's a good learning experience.

Last edited:
I tell ya if it wasn't for this website I would have no shot of getting in. I 100% would have failed my dat and I wouldn't have understood anything about applying

After stalking this website for the last year I swear I know more than my health advisor!!

Reactions: 7 users
It's way over my head and I'm sure being in dental school will be over my head too. The thing is I'm to dumb back out so I guess I'm in it for the long haul.

I'm in the same boat as you OP. My parents have no idea how the process works. Although I have a few pre-professional friends, they are all pre-med and are applying next year.

Think of it this way, you are at where you are because of you. You got yourself this far, all you gotta do is take it home!

SDN has been a great resource for me. I would've done so much worse on the DAT if it weren't for all the breakdown posts. Talk to your adviser. I got really great advice on how to write my personal statement. Both my parents are high school graduates but they've been the best at helping me out financially as well as giving me the courage to pursue this. If you really want it, you HAVE to be willing to take the plunge. We're all nervous and scared, but we've got each other.

Reading these posts made me feel a bit better about this whole process. thanks

The whole application process has been pretty time consuming (at the beginning) but nothing too terrible. However, I'm just tired of telling people for the past 6 months that I won't hear anything definite until December.

The whole application process has been pretty time consuming (at the beginning) but nothing too terrible. However, I'm just tired of telling people for the past 6 months that I won't hear anything definite until December.
right!? no matter how many times I explain this I still get asked a few times a week "have you heard anything yet!?" it's gotten worse the last few weeks cause all my pre-med friends have been getting acceptances out the wazoo. it's good to have people who care but it's hard being reminded all the time

Same here. Everyone asks , and I always say "December 1st" my dad lives in another country and for every interview I went to, he would call me and ask me the same exact question " so when do you hear back ?"

Also the hardest a part has been trying to explain to people how big of a deal this is , and how hard and competitive this is. My wife's family also kind of compare me to my friends., cuz they are all working and have money. So it is frustrating. Over summer when studying for the DAT , they would get annoyed cuz I would study the whole time and do nothing else. , and they thought I was dumb because I had to study so much for a single test. Also they think that a friend of mine can hack into computers and do anything computer related , cuz he is an IT major. And I'm like, " I am actually better with hardware and computers than he is "

rant done. Sorry hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users