Ever have someone tell you you couldn't make it to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flowerguy

----
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

No. But I have had someone tell me I wouldnt get accepted to the UG that I attended. But I was able to graduate with honors with a 3.8 in Biology.

Reactions: 6 users
I have. It was a professor of mine my second week of my freshman year of college.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was as well. The premed advisor at my school. This cycle I interviewed at 3 top ten schools and got into 2 and interviewed/got into almost all the top 20 schools. Just keep pushing. If this is really what you want to do and you think you can do it, keep improving yourself and you will get there.

Reactions: 5 users
Not directly. But there was always those indirect "you're not getting in" moments.

For example, at orientation, some advisors stood up in front of us and asked "how many of you are premed?" Everyone raises their hands. Then they said "See the first row here? That's how many of you will end up going to medical school. Basically 1% of you." Also people that I met freshman year and would then see a year later would say "Are you STILL premed?" as if I dropped by now. Also people who say, my sister/brother is super smart and they didn't even make it. Also people who always ask, what is your backup?

You can't stop people who know where they are going!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
Yes.

- A counselor told me to shoot for something else.
- Several premeds told me I had no idea what I'm doing, more or less.

Jokes on them.

Reactions: 7 users
I have. I was told that my GPA was too low and that I should shoot for another major. This was by the same pre-med advisor who told me that I would never be able to do well in higher level classes and shouldn't bother applying to postbacc programs.

I got into a postbacc program. Graduated with a 4.0 and a masters degree from the program. Got accepted to multiple medical schools.

I sent her an email when I got my first acceptance with a "just in case you were wondering :)" message attached. Some people shouldn't be advisors!

Reactions: 17 users
I have. I was told that my GPA was too low and that I should shoot for another major. This was by the same pre-med advisor who told me that I would never be able to do well in higher level classes and shouldn't bother applying to postbacc programs.

I got into a postbacc program. Graduated with a 4.0 and a masters degree from the program. Got accepted to multiple medical schools.

I sent her an email when I got my first acceptance with a "just in case you were wondering :)" message attached. Some people shouldn't be advisors!

Had the same thing happen to me! My advisor at my college. He did not help or encourage me at all. I had two professors that believed in me, and wrote wonderful letters of rec. I agree...............some people should not be advisors. Your experience in the aftermath equates my life exactly. I never wrote him a letter but expressed my gratitude to the profs that encouraged me. I went to a very large college and was only "a number to him". He seemed to never have time for me at all.

Reactions: 1 users
No, but I have told many people they could not make it to medical school.

That probably was not helpful.

Yes. My premed "advisor" in Undergrad. Currently waiting to start residency in July.

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Happened all the time when I was in my post bac.
-My advisor
-Classmates....all the time.

I was one of the few to actually make it into an US medical school.

Reactions: 4 users
Not directly. But going to a large school with a lot of premeds, there was always those indirect "you're not getting in" moments.

For example, at orientation, some advisors stood up in front of us and asked "how many of you are premed?" Everyone (like 200 people) raises their hands. Then they said "See the first row here? That's how many of you will end up going to medical school. Basically 1% of you." Also people that I met freshman year and would then see a year later would say "Are you STILL premed?" as if I dropped by now. Also people who say, my sister/brother is super smart and they didn't even make it. Also people who always ask, what is your backup?

You can't stop people who know where they are going!!!
This is spot on. My bio 101 prof did this in our first class Freshman year. There were over 500 kids in that one class and 95% raised their hands lol. Needless to say it was interesting to watch them all drop off through the years.

Reactions: 1 user
This is spot on. My bio 101 prof did this in our first class Freshman year. There were over 500 kids in that one class and 95% raised their hands lol. Needless to say it was interesting to watch them all drop off through the years.
Many are called, few are chosen unfortunately! (or fortunately?)

I have been told I couldn't make it by more people than I could even keep track of. From friends, to teachers, to advisors, very few have actually believed in me. One advisor who once told me I don't have "a snowballs chance in hell" (direct quote), later retracted that statement and changed it to "maybe a DO program if you apply broadly".

I've done about everything I could so far to give myself a chance. I'd love to email that advisor and tell him that I got into a US MD program, but it sucks that as of now he's still right. I haven't given up yet though. Still working hard on these update/interest letters in hopes that they will help. Can't stop, won't stop.

EDIT: For the record, I am now an MS1 at a U.S. MD program. we made it!

Last edited:
I have been told I couldn't make it by more people than I could even keep track of. From friends, to teachers, to advisors, very few have actually believed in me. One advisor who once told me I don't have "a snowballs chance in hell" (direct quote), later retracted that statement and changed it to "maybe a DO program if you apply broadly".

I've done about everything I could so far to give myself a chance. I'd love to email that advisor and tell him that I got into a US MD program, but it sucks that as of now he's still right. I haven't given up yet though. Still working hard on these update/interest letters in hopes that they will help. Can't stop, won't stop.
Youuuuu got it!!!! Start drafting that "no chance? Haaaa GOT EM" email lol

Reactions: 3 users

I seriously hope you get that MD acceptance soon, you're incredibly deserving!

Nothing wrong with DO though.

this is also very true. no matter where I end up ill work as hard as I can, but now that I've tasted some of these high caliber places I can't deny how much I'd love to attend one. time will tell, just gotta keep hoping and working.

If anyone tells you that you can't do something, it's because they believe that if they themselves was put into your predicament they would not be able to achieve the same dream. Prove to them how right they actually are!

Reactions: 7 users
I was told, I shouldn't even apply and waste my money because so few "blacks" make it as physician - direct quote ... Just completed my first year and honored several courses

Don't listen to the haters lol

A silly girl that I used to work with before college said that I wouldn't get accepted to medical school and that I'd become a lpn (nothing wrong with lpn's). Got into a U.S. Md program this year with a scholarship lol

Reactions: 8 users
Yes, and when i found out i was going to a top ten school on a nice scholarship i made sure he knew.

Reactions: 5 users
Yes! My high school chemistry teacher told me my sophomore year of high school that I'd never make it to med school. He was wrong. VCOM Class of 2019!
Wow, it really bothers me that teachers say these things. They should encourage all students to do well, not put them down. Congrats to you mam!

Reactions: 3 users
Yea I'm a scribe and I had a doc that I was working with, tell me that I should try for PA school....

I have had many people tell me I was being completely unrealistic. I had an aunt who told me I couldn't do well in college, then of course I got honors. After that she told me I would never get into med school, then I got in. Then she told me I would never succeed here. I try to not let hate motivate me but seeing the stupid look on her dumb ass face is so sweet. Also, I never knew my father growing up, he was never in my life. My last years of college he started to contact me, I gave him a chance- then he shot down my dreams every chance he got. I haven't spoken to him since. And of course there was the premed advisor that, after I told her I got a low score on the MCAT, sent a list of alternative healthcare careers I could try. I retook the MCAT, got a 30, and the following cycle got 3 MD acceptances and 4DO acceptances. When somebody tells you you can't do something, it has more to do with them than it does you.

I'm proud of you all.

Last edited:
My undergrad's premed advisor told me I wouldn't make it...screw your doubters, make your own way

After reading some of the postings on SDN about pre med advisors, I am beginning to think many advisors do not know what the heck they are talking about! So many of us were "told" we were not good candidates for Med school and here we are! I thought I was the only one that had someone who was useless. I am beginning to think that my advisor had issues about particulars attending medical school or the one's he did not care to see to get in. Makes me wonder how many good candidates took their "advice" to heart and gave up based on their "advising". Glad I ignored all the negativity this man put upon myself. Grateful to the science profs and family members who believed in me. So many times I wanted to throw in the towel after meeting with my adviser. Never gave me any hope whatsoever. Colleges and Universities should be made aware of what is happening here!

No. But I know if I had asked the premed adviser he would have said so. I just avoided him and avoided our school's pre-med letter writing committee.

I did have a bunch of friends (and a father) tell me I was making a terrible financial decision going to medical school. And they were right. I definitely could have made a bunch more money doing something else.

Love these stories!. Grats to you all!

No, thankfully, actual people have been pretty supportive. The closest I came was one my interviewers at the school I currently attend saying that my GPA may be too low and that I should go back and do a post bac or masters, but I was accepted to a different school soon after that, so my confidence was through the roof.

After narrowly avoiding failing Chemistry Freshman year I had my professor, premed advisor, academic advisor, parents, and several "friends" ask me to reconsider my goals. I didn't listen to them though and now I will be applying this upcoming cycle. Never let anyone detract you from pursuing your dream!
I hit a stone wall with Calculus! The professor was foreign and I could not understand a word this man was saying. When you asked a question, he made fun of you. Famous quote "Let's put that on youtube". (I think that is what he said?) Did I EVEN need Calculus...................? According to my adviser, I did. One student who was a commuter was five minutes late because of car trouble. He locked her out of the classroom. No one could be admitted if you were late..........sometimes it happens and can be justified. The man was evil and they STILL kept him. The famous quote was............."If anyone fails this test, I will shoot you!". Was it said in jest (probably!) or...............?

No. But I have had someone tell me I wouldnt get accepted to the UG that I attended. But I was able to graduate with honors with a 3.8 in Biology.
I've just completed my first semester for undergrad and I've already been told this NUMEROUS times, and honestly sometimes I believe it. A person that comes from a background similar to mine usually isn't thought very highly of. Plus I have absolutely no money funding my education besides what I make and a few grants. It's hard, sometimes I let it get me way down.

I've just completed my first semester for undergrad and I've already been told this NUMEROUS times, and honestly sometimes I believe it. A person that comes from a background similar to mine usually isn't thought very highly of. Plus I have absolutely no money funding my education besides what I make and a few grants. It's hard, sometimes I let it get me way down.

don't let it get you down. I was in a similar boat and decided to just work hard for what I needed. I worked nearly full time hours at times throughout most of college while taking up to 22 credits of heavy science courses because I needed the money. if I can make it, you can make it. get a healthcare related job and study hard whenever there's time. forget what everyone says and realize you control your destiny, no one else. best of luck

I have. Many times. I went to a community college. IDK how much of an effect it will have when I apply. But I am working my butt off at a known 4 years public school to apply. I tune those negative comments off and I just do whatever I want to do. Go to medical school. Don't let people direct your life just because they didn't do so well with theirs. If in the end I don't get in, at least I know I did my very best.

I understand. I was the first in my family to attend college, so I did not have any guidance at all. The transition into undergrad was very difficult and I often doubted my abilities because of others opinions. But now I am going to attend medical school in August. Just continue to do what you are doing! You will make it!