everyones take on the gen chem section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SunnyD0119

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys i've been looking over the posts and i haev read that the orgo section isnt as bad as everyone thinks it is one the real test and teh same assumption goes for bio (although its really hit or miss w/bio) but i was just wondering for all of you that have taken the dat what should we be expecting on the gen chem section....
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to know as well. I got an A in gen chem II but I still have no confidence in that subject matter :scared:

IcemanDDS said:
I would like to know as well. I got an A in gen chem II but I still have no confidence in that subject matter :scared:

easiest section. i got a 22. no im not here to brag..but i will tell you that expect more theory questions, rather than calculation type. a few of the theory questions i got were quite bizarre..one the answer was viscosity. sometimes the questions are a lot easier than they seem..so dont rush urself. i noticed there are plenty of 'trap answers' on the gen chem sections. memorize what needs to be memorized (main formulas and some constants) and u should be fine..bio is the tough one.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, it was pretty easy. I'm no gen chem wizz, and got a 23. And it was the section I studied the least for, don't be to confident, but just get comfortable with the equations, most of them you wont even have to work out they just want you to get it set up right. I pretty much just went over the kaplan flash cards and then spent my time on the harder subjects.

intresting...i've got the kaplan flashcards so i'll give those a look too. as for the theory questions...what are they like? i'm more a of a formula kind of guy and was hoping there was more calculations ....i guess im out of luck but as i read what do you think i should keep my eye out for in relationship to the theory stuff.?

It had been nearly seven years since I had taken general chemistry and that was the one section that I was really worried about. I really studied Kaplan's blue book and discovered that everything I was tested over was contained therein. I suggest making flashcards of all of the points they mention as well as noting the cursory information they have written in the margins as good information is to be found there as well.

So not many stoich. or rate order or concentration questions? Those are the WORST...

Sprgrover said:
Yes, I did have a few of those. :oops:
:scared: welp, better study over that stuff some more. Just another reason why DAT date was bumped :rolleyes:

I felt completely unprepared for this section since it had been so long since I had learned the stuff. Also, maybe I'm the only one that is this math deficient, but I thought I would feel completely helpless without a calculator, since I always got to use on in my gen chem courses. Going into the actual DAT, I thought I could maybe pull off a 12 on the gen chem section (thats how prepared I felt :rolleyes: ), but I somehow pulled off a 19. There's no way I could have done that if there was an abundance of calculations...just really know the theories that are outlined in the kaplan book, and you should do just fine. I had a handful of questions pertaining to the relationship between pressure, volume, moles, etc.

The only thing I read for general chemistry was the Kaplan Blue Book and I got a 25. That book has everything you need to know for this section. The best thing you can do for this section is practice practice and practice problems as they don’t change that much from one to the next. For that I would suggest you get the Examkrackers 1001 question for general chemistry book. Hope this helps.