About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

EVMS Decisions

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by bwells46, Dec 8, 2005.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. bwells46

bwells46 MD, MPH, MSM

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Has anyone who interviewed about 3 - 4 weeks ago at EVMS received a decision yet?
  2. benfolds21

benfolds21 Senior Member

MD/PhD Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member

just call them. they can tell you if a decision has been made. they also will tell you what the decision was too...
  3. tacrum43

tacrum43 Behold the mighty echidna

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Sorry to hear that, Nas. At least you have more interviews to look forward to. Maybe it just wasn't meant to be with EVMS. On the other hand, you're not rejected yet, so who knows what might happen?

:luck:
  4. 2DEG

2DEG Senior Member

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member

Hi Nas23:

Sorry to hear that. I haven't heard from them yet. But I am definitely not 'statistically" competitive at EVMS. So, I am expecting a rejection I guess. I will post it here once I get a letter from them.

I knew you were very interested at EVMS. Why don't you consider writing a letter of intent. Make sure you write it and have it reviewed by few others to make your arugment strong.

Apparently UVM has made decision on my file too..but they won't tell me over the phone. So, I have to wait to get a snail mail from them.

Take care and don't give up on EVMS yet..

Shahab
  5. bwells46

bwells46 MD, MPH, MSM

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Well, nothing in the mail today. I guess I'll call them next Tuesday if I still haven't heard anything.

Now I get to spend my weekend profiling all the doctors and hospitals in Florida...
  6. JulioFly

JulioFly Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    I interviewed back in mid october and when I called last week, the woman in admissions said that they still hadn't gone over my file. the hell? it had been like 8 weeks! and they tell you it's gonna be 3 when you interview. so i called again yesterday and am in the top 1/3 of the waitlist. I would call if i were you and waiting to hear from them...they're a bit slow.
  7. SpeedRacer

SpeedRacer Senior Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
  8. 2DEG

2DEG Senior Member

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member

I called EVMS today. They said the file is still with the adcom folks, i.e no decisions yet. They told me to call them back next week.

Seems like I would have to happy with total 4 interviews that I have already completed. I still have secondaries at a few schools - they are pretending that I don't even exist! But honestly, I am tempted to send 'withdraw' letter to most of those schools too.

I hope I get couple of offers from my 4 interviews..is that too much to ask? :)

Best wishes all
  9. bwells46

bwells46 MD, MPH, MSM

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Same here. I called EVMS on 12/12 and was told my application is still with the committee. I wonder if this is a sure sign of the waitlist? I'm guessing that if they were going to accept me, they probably would have done so by now unless they just haven't reviewed my application yet...
  10. PJFAN

PJFAN Junior Member

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I interviewed there a while ago and I called the admissions office and they told me that the committee had not reviewed my file. Two days later in the mail I received my waitlist letter. I think the admissions office tells that to everybody who got waitlisted who calls on the phone.
  11. bwells46

bwells46 MD, MPH, MSM

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I thought some people said they called and the admissions office told them that they were waitlisted in the top/middle/bottom third.

Oh well, I'm expecting a waitlist either way.
  12. RunnerMD

RunnerMD Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  13. tacrum43

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=142752

Took me a while to find it. :)
  14. bwells46

bwells46 MD, MPH, MSM

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
  15. 2DEG

2DEG Senior Member

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    In an effort to revive this thread, I thought I would mention - I just got waitlisted at EVMS. I have had 4 interviews, 2 in-state, and 2 out of state. I got waitlisted at both out of state schools. No word from my beloved state schools yet.

There is course on speed waiting?

S.
  16. ghostchild

ghostchild The Boss

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Don't get too depressed over an EVMS waitlist. When I was on my interview there they flat-out told me that very few students get accepted outright. A very helpful student who I think participated in interviews and what not in years past also said that they never overbook the class and only want so many accepted positions at certain times of the year. He didn't divulge any of the details though. I think you've all got a great shot even if you're at the bottom 1/3 this time of the year.
  17. bwells46

bwells46 MD, MPH, MSM

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Yeah, I got a letter from EVMS on Monday. I'm waitlisted as well.
  18. tacrum43

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    :laugh: Nope. I think the best strategy is just to focus on other things, and not on clock watching.
  19. WholeLottaGame7

WholeLottaGame7

Fellow [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Just a little heads-up for everybody, I got my acceptance to EVMS yesterday (1/3). While I absolutely loved the school, chances are pretty good that I'll end up somewhere else, letting someone in off the waitlist. I won't know for sure til later, though. Good luck to everybody!
  20. Depakote

Depakote CA-2 Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor

Resident [Any Field]
    Physician Rocket Scientist hSDN Member hSDN Alumni SDN 7+ Year Member
    Bump of an old thread...

Does anyone know what the Admissions Committee Timeline is looking like now?

I interviewed at the beginning of the month, so when do you think would be a fair time to expect a paper response? To call?

Danké.
  21. tacrum43

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    My decision was very quick, less than 2 weeks. I think the average is somewhere between 2 and 5 weeks. Still pretty quick as medical schools go.
  22. Depakote

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks, just called. Waitlist. Somewhere between the middle and upper third, but they have to pull an equivalent person to someone they lose.

If you are an Out-Of-State, White, Mid-20's, pseudo-non traditional student holding an acceptance... You'll be my best friend if you drop it.
  23. tacrum43

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    That's pretty much my situation too...except for the holding an acceptance part. Maybe/hopefully that's coming one day not too far away though...

I didn't know that they did that with the "equivalent" person thing. That sounds so strange to say. I wonder why they don't just go straight down the waitlist.
  24. WholeLottaGame7

WholeLottaGame7

Fellow [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Well I'm from NC, I'm Caucasian, I'm 22, taking a year off, and recently accepted. Plus, I just sent in my withdrawal last week. What do best friends get? I'll take some cookies. You and tacrum can fight for it. Good luck, you guys.

P.S. I've heard other schools do that "equivalent waitlist" thing also, I guess to keep the demographics/ethnicities all square and everything.
  25. Depakote

Resident [Any Field]
    I'd imagine they have certain demographics they are required to keep. Especially in order to have the state funding.

But I believe they try to pull equivalent people from the different thirds in order. e.g. my type-person from the top third before a my type-person in the bottom third.

But the admissions staff member I spoke to said it was quite possible that they would have to reach into the middle and lower thirds to match specific criteria before completly depleting the top third.
  26. Depakote

Resident [Any Field]
    O_O

[​IMG]
  27. tacrum43

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Perhaps. But what are the chances there's a shortage of OOS white males?
  28. Depakote

Resident [Any Field]
    Just give my cousin Guido some time... Trust me, there will be a shortage.

<_<

>_>
  29. ychoi81

ychoi81 Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Reviving an old post.

I just got a letter saying i'm on the waitlist. I interviewed in early January, and i remember the admissions people saying that they don't have a ranking system for the waitlist pool. But reading from other people's post, they at least have a top/middle/bottom third?

i'm not sure how to contact them about my position in the waitlist. Should I just call them and ask them that i want to check my position on the waitlist?
  30. Depakote

Resident [Any Field]
    Call and ask. They will be more than happy to tell you. It is expected.
  31. 2DEG

2DEG Senior Member

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    You should call them. I called them last week and they told me I was in the middle portion of their waitlist. However, the waitlist is not complete until the interview season is over for EVMS.

Call them.

I have a question for people who are interested in EVMS. How would you manage the tuition/living cost which would be around 50K I would imagine?
    That's the only reason I am hesitant to send them a letter of intention. Otherwise, I really love the school and people over there. There is no chance of getting in-state status there. sucks!
  32. ychoi81

ychoi81 Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    crap~!! just called them and foud out that i'm on the bottom 1/3.
    i really liked this school. i think it's time for a letter of intent.
  33. LT2

LT2 Senior Member

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    hey guys-

i am set to interview on 2/15 and was wondering what your impressions of the school were. i'm from the west coast (not to mention completely BROKE) and i'm trying to decide whether or not to trek out there. do you know if the class is full? i have a couple of acceptances and don't know what i should do. any thoughts are much appreciated!

best of luck to those on the waitlist!!
  34. Depakote

Resident [Any Field]
    In all honesty, I would guess by now, the best you're gonna get is a wait list (especially OOS). But I would still go. It's a great school and they take about half their class from the waitlist each year.

Trust me, their interview day is what hooks you, it's amazing.
  35. tacrum43

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    EVMS is surprisingly awesome. As long as you want to be a clinician (which I do). If you've already been accepted to another school you really like, then maybe don't bother. But I'm saying that more as a person on their waitlist than as actual advice...
  36. 2DEG

2DEG Senior Member

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member

I totally agree about interview day..it really hooks you and makes you fall in love with this school. Does anyone know how expensive the living cost is - like say a two bed room apt. etc.

If I get in, I will have to move my family from NC. Would it be worthwhile? I am so interested in that school..financial worries kills me though.

S.
  37. WholeLottaGame7

WholeLottaGame7

Fellow [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Like everyone else has said, their interview day will absolutely sell you. The cost is pretty high for OOS, though, and if you think you might be drawn to more competitive specialties and you've gotten in to other more prestigious schools, it might not be the best for you. Granted, any school is what you make it, but I've told doctors here in NC that I got accepted at EVMS and they're like "Where?"
  38. Depakote

Resident [Any Field]
    Aparently housing is not that bad.

I've only been poking around a little bit, but aparently a 2 bedroom condo w/12k down would only have payments of $260.

As for apartments, the students have said they're pretty affordable.

Anyway, the school is what you make of it. Sure it doesn't have a top 10 name, but it's got one of the best programs I've seen.

I think the budget sheet I got said something like $55-60K/yr for out of state.
  39. 2DEG

2DEG Senior Member

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Hey..Thanks for the info. With 12K down, 260 per month for a condo sounds awesome.

I am thinking about sending a strong letter of intent in March/April. Would that be too late? I know they won't start taking people off their waitlist until April or so.

We are expecting our second child in August. Thats why I am just nervous about moving/financial stuff etc. I think if we tried hard enough, my wife could get a job next year or so. That would help us with our living cost.

Best wishes!
  40. tacrum43

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Actually, I was looking at some old EVMS threads and people have gotten accepted off of the waitlist as early as February in previous years. And guess what month it is now! :luck:

Congrats on your second child, btw. I can't even imagine what it would be like to have a family (especially with young children) and be going to med school.
  41. 2DEG

2DEG Senior Member

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    tacrum43..

Thank you very much. We are very excited. Having a child is one of the best things in the world for sure.

I called EVMS today to see if there is anyway one can establish residency for tuition purposes. The answer was 'no'. The financial aid lady was very nice though. Once you matriculate at EVMS as an out of state..you are cursed for the whole 4 years!

Forget about me - I hope you guys who are very interested at EVMS - I hope you guys get in. That would give me joy. By the way, I liked your mdapplicants site info - especially your phone conversation with one school.
  42. Depakote

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks a bunch. Best of luck to you and the kid-lings.
  43. tacrum43

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    So what are your plans for next year? Have you gotten in somewhere else? You can't give up!

And as for the phone conversation, people mostly like that. One person sent me a PM right after I put that up last year saying how it was a bad idea and would hurt my chances. And to them I say: I think it's funny, and it's my lame way of expressing my freedom of speech. Okay? :p It is about 90% accurate (it's not like I was taping the conversation), but I may have embellished a little for dramatic and/or comedic effect. That was probably more than you cared to know, but oh well. :)
  44. 2DEG

2DEG Senior Member

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Well, I am still counting on UNC or ECU (East Carolina). Either one of these would be perfect for me because I won't have that much financial headache and don't have to move.

If I don't get in at one of my two state school, my current thought is that I will withdraw from EVMS, UVM in April or so. And I will re-take MCAT in August and re-apply mainly to my NC schools and some out of state schools where I will get in-state status after one year.

I think (and I could be wrong), my chances at UNC and/or ECU would be better if I take some additional classes and re-take MCAT. If I don't get in this year, it would be so much harder next year - I don't even want to imagine.

About your mdapplicant stuff.. some people are way too serious. I thought it was funny and good stuff.
  45. singh0113

singh0113 Senior Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Does anyone know if EVMS rejects people following interviews or does everyone get put somewhere on the waitlist? Is being on the bottom third of the waitlist equal to a pending rejection? Has anyone gotten in from the bottom third of the waitlist? Is it possible to move up the waitlist? Thanks for your help.
  46. ghostchild

ghostchild The Boss

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member

I'm not trying to get your hopes up but it is true that all VA state schools suffer from the fact that it is incredibly hard to gain residency in VA. I think you have to have a full time job for 12 months or something like that. However, If you marry a resident of VA, that is one way to gain in-state residency. Although I definitely do not recommend doing this to most people, if your wife is willing to work a full time job and establishes VA residency. Years 2-4 I think you might be considered in-state since your spouse is a resident. Don't quote me on this and I'm not sure how it works but this line of reasoning seems just crazy enough to work.
  47. Depakote

Resident [Any Field]
    EVMS was very candid about their policy. Even if you gain VA residency, you're still paying OOS tuition for 4 years.

They used to let people emmigrate after the first year like some other states, but they're in a budget crisis now so no dice. Just count on paying.
  48. 2DEG

2DEG Senior Member

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    yeah..I asked them if my wife works full-time, will I be qualified for in-state tuition after 12 months. The answer is a straight no. What if I have a gf in VA who is a resident..hmmm..oh wait..my wife won't approve of that.

S.
  49. ghostchild

ghostchild The Boss

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I copied this from an earlier post in this thread:

"Don't be depressed! Do a search for posts by NGemie. She was in the bottom 1/3 and got in! Its a great story! And a friend of mine from the middle 1/3 got in last year. Hope this helps!"

I'm not sure about how large the waitlist is but I have heard that people are indeed rejected post-interview but I have no clue about the percentages. I would think they wouldn't put you on the waitlist unless there was at least a chance. I do believe it moves pretty fast because most are accepted off the waitlist and for oos students it's about impossible to gain residency in VA for in-state tuition.
  50. ghostchild

ghostchild The Boss

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Any new news on the EVMS front?