EVMS Decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
bikedoc1021 said:
called yesterday 8/22 told i was waitlisted in the middle 1/3. any advice? btw i'm caucasian male, IS, 3.4, 32Q. good luck to all.
Do you plan to go to their second look weekend? It's next weekend (3/31-4/1). If you didn't get invited, I think you can ask for it. If you're really interested in EVMS and close enough to visit again, you should try. Call the addmissions office and ask about it. Hope this help. (According to the addmissions office, the attendance to the secon look weekend will not affect any decision making, but it shows that you're really interested in their school. You never know showing up might raise your chance to get in.)

Members don't see this ad.

UFO said:
I'm new to posting on SDN but a reader over the past few weeks, I'm on the EVMS waitlist and wandering if there's anything I can do to improve my chances. I'm in the middle third last time I checked but really loved the school and the area. I've been reading SDN for a while though. I applied to EVMS really late, like 2 weeks before the deadline and it's my own fault because I was planning on taking a year off. But now that I'm here, would a LOI help me out at all at this point in the year or is it too late for it to help? I would rather be at EVMS than anywhere else so it would be sincere but I can't help but thinking it might be too late for an LOI to do anything.
Did you send any update since your interview? If you have anything new, you might want to send them in, too. Some schools take a letter of intent seriously, but some schools don't. I don't know about EVMS. But LOI won't hurt at all. Sending in some update and LOI, and trying to go to second look weekend would be something you can do. If EVMS is your first choice, you might want to try EVERYTHING.

roo425 said:
Did you send any update since your interview? If you have anything new, you might want to send them in, too. Some schools take a letter of intent seriously, but some schools don't. I don't know about EVMS. But LOI won't hurt at all. Sending in some update and LOI, and trying to go to second look weekend would be something you can do. If EVMS is your first choice, you might want to try EVERYTHING.

Well, my interview was sometime in let's say late February or early March for the sake of anonymity. There's not really been anything new that has happened but I did send letters of thanks to my interviewers and re-expressed my interest in the school. I hadn't heard anything about preview weekend from the school and I hated to intrude. I might call and check on Monday to see if they have any open spots left for the weekend. But wasn't there a deadline date to let them know you were coming? It seems pretty close to the date of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
UFO said:
Well, my interview was sometime in let's say late February or early March for the sake of anonymity. There's not really been anything new that has happened but I did send letters of thanks to my interviewers and re-expressed my interest in the school. I hadn't heard anything about preview weekend from the school and I hated to intrude. I might call and check on Monday to see if they have any open spots left for the weekend. But wasn't there a deadline date to let them know you were coming? It seems pretty close to the date of it.
You are right. The deadline for the preview weekend sign-up was March 15th. But it's mostly run by students, I hope, they are willing to take a couple of more students. Good luck!

If they'll still let you and you have to opportunity, you should definitely consider it. From what I've heard, it's suppose to be a pretty fun event and it will give you an idea of what to look forward too. And besides, there will be some free time and you'll be like 15 minutes from the beach. Where else would you rather spend a weekend at the beginning of April!! :cool:

ghostchild said:
If they'll still let you and you have to opportunity, you should definitely consider it. From what I've heard, it's suppose to be a pretty fun event and it will give you an idea of what to look forward too. And besides, there will be some free time and you'll be like 15 minutes from the beach. Where else would you rather spend a weekend at the beginning of April!! :cool:

I wouldn't get too excited about the beach in April. The weather is sporadic... it could be 70 or 40 out. Plus the water doesn't get warm till July or so.

Em1 said:
I wouldn't get too excited about the beach in April. The weather is sporadic... it could be 70 or 40 out. Plus the water doesn't get warm till July or so.

You're from that area aren't you Em1? Thanks for the input. It's still something for me to look forward too! As I look outside my window there's a couple inches of snow on the ground from last night. And the weather is so sporadic here it could be 20 or 40. I also don't do much swimming and it's so less crowded this time of year!

By the way Em1, congrats on all your recent success!! It's a great feeling when you can just about go wherever you want. Are you still considering EVMS? I'm going to keep recruiting you and reminding you that Richmond is basically part of NOVA and such a big school and Alabama is so far away!! :laugh: I'm sure you'd be so happy at EVMS w/us and we'd love to have you!! :p But I can honestly understand why you wouldn't want to go to a med school so close to home. I didn't even apply to the one closest to my home town. Best of luck on whatever you decide and I hope all the financial aid packages are great! :thumbup:

ghostchild said:
By the way Em1, congrats on all your recent success!! It's a great feeling when you can just about go wherever you want. Are you still considering EVMS? I'm going to keep recruiting you and reminding you that Richmond is basically part of NOVA and such a big school and Alabama is so far away!! :laugh: I'm sure you'd be so happy at EVMS w/us and we'd love to have you!! :p But I can honestly understand why you wouldn't want to go to a med school so close to home. I didn't even apply to the one closest to my home town. Best of luck on whatever you decide and I hope all the financial aid packages are great! :thumbup:

Aww, thanks ghostchild! Yes, I'm originally from Chesapeake (living in Atlanta right now). I really don't know where to go- this will be a tough decision! But I still haven't heard back from everywhere I've interviewed or gotten any financial aid packages, so I'll wait till I know more before figuring this all out.

Hello everyone, this is my first post too. I'm a two-year veteran of this process and was feeling jaded by the whole medical school experience until I went for the interview at EVMS in early March. It looks to be a really livable, supportive and easy-going school, in terms of people and structure.

I just got the thin envelope yesterday saying I'm on the waiting list and from calling the office, I am in the upper-third. I am out-of-state, white, and male, but I am still hopeful that a spot will open up for me before the fall. I was on two waiting lists last year that never panned out and I'm not quite comfortable with being in the same extended state of anticipation again, but you work with what you've got. If it doesn't work out, at least I know where to reapply next year :)

Vincir said:
Hello everyone, this is my first post too. I'm a two-year veteran of this process and was feeling jaded by the whole medical school experience until I went for the interview at EVMS in early March. It looks to be a really livable, supportive and easy-going school, in terms of people and structure.

I just got the thin envelope yesterday saying I'm on the waiting list and from calling the office, I am in the upper-third. I am out-of-state, white, and male, but I am still hopeful that a spot will open up for me before the fall. I was on two waiting lists last year that never panned out and I'm not quite comfortable with being in the same extended state of anticipation again, but you work with what you've got. If it doesn't work out, at least I know where to reapply next year :)
Congrats on the great spot on the waitlist. That's a really good place to be at this point in the application process. Good luck on actually getting the acceptance here before too long. :luck:
But don't give up no matter what happens or how jaded you feel. Which part of the pre-med process caused these feelings? EVMS did seem like a great place to be to me too. Drop by and let us know how the process goes for you.

ghostchild said:
Congrats on the great spot on the waitlist. That's a really good place to be at this point in the application process. Good luck on actually getting the acceptance here before too long. :luck:
But don't give up no matter what happens or how jaded you feel. Which part of the pre-med process caused these feelings? EVMS did seem like a great place to be to me too. Drop by and let us know how the process goes for you.

Thanks for the well-wishes. In re: feeling jaded, it comes from the nature of the beast I suppose ... feeling that getting into medical schools is a completely bureaucratic process designed to get money, somewhat irrespective of candidates in that they just look at you on paper as a number, so on and so on etc. :laugh: I still have my humor, it's just frustrating to know what you want to do and to be stymied. But as I noted before, EVMS never made me feel little or unappreciated so kudos to them :)

Vincir said:
Thanks for the well-wishes. In re: feeling jaded, it comes from the nature of the beast I suppose ... feeling that getting into medical schools is a completely bureaucratic process designed to get money, somewhat irrespective of candidates in that they just look at you on paper as a number, so on and so on etc. :laugh: I still have my humor, it's just frustrating to know what you want to do and to be stymied. But as I noted before, EVMS never made me feel little or unappreciated so kudos to them :)

Yeah, I completely understand what you mean. I hate it when med schools tell you that you were rejected because you really need a XX on the MCAT and a X.XX GPA to get in. Well, then why don't they at least publish that information on the website or something instead of having me waste money on the primary and secondary application so they can have a little fundraiser as they breeze over my application. But yeah, it's all bureaucratic and sometimes who you know is more important than what you know.
Or ... maybe I just went off topic onto something you weren't even talking about but at least it gave me a chance to vent about what bothered me about the process. But don't ever let anybody, or any school, get you down. There's always those schools that look at the person and don't open an application already thinking of how they can deny admission.

Best of luck again on getting an EVMS acceptance that I'm sure will come soon and hopefully I'll see you there in the fall!

P.S. Never lose the humor!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,
I haven't posted much on this thread, but I've read just about every entry. I just withdrew my acceptance from EVMS, so hopefully this will help one of you! I know all of you would have been wonderful classmates, and will make exceptional physicians, so good luck and hang in there! :luck:

chicklett1 said:
Hi guys,
I haven't posted much on this thread, but I've read just about every entry. I just withdrew my acceptance from EVMS, so hopefully this will help one of you! I know all of you would have been wonderful classmates, and will make exceptional physicians, so good luck and hang in there! :luck:

hooray for chicklett! thanks :thumbup: good luck at whatever non-evms school it is you will choose!

Has anyone on the waitlist received an acceptance yet?

Also, does anyone have the link to the EVMS thread from last year? I remember seeing it back in the fall and noting that there was some good advice from students who had managed to get themselves off the list and into the class, but I can't seem to find it again. Thanks!

madi said:
Has anyone on the waitlist received an acceptance yet?

Also, does anyone have the link to the EVMS thread from last year? I remember seeing it back in the fall and noting that there was some good advice from students who had managed to get themselves off the list and into the class, but I can't seem to find it again. Thanks!

In the Hall of Fame it looks like there was someone that got in off the waitlist. I don't know if that's actually true or not. I was at preview weekend and I spoke to a bunch of people that were straight acceptances and a bunch that were on the waitlist, I didn't meet anybody that got in off the waitlist this year... (A TON OF CURRENT SAID THEY CAME FROM THE WAITLIST THOUGH :D :D :D :D :D )

I'd just keep in touch with the school and make sure they know what you're up to.

I just got my letter in the mail, and its a waitlist but Im in the upper third so considering I interviewed in march and Im out of state it was the best I could hope for :). EVMS is definatly one of my top schools at the moment and I would love to go there, hopefully Ill be able to meet you guys in September. For those of you in my position, at my interview, and again on the US News stats it appear a lot of people come off their waitlist so Im hoping my waitlist=accept come June.

One thing that has occurred to me.

If you're on the waitlist, I would contact the financial aid office and see if they want you to file the EVMS financial aid documentaion.

They told the people at preview weekend to do so.

The final deadline is May 1 for everything so I'd check...

http://www.evms.edu/students/fin-aid/apply_process_md.html

Yeah, the financial aid info seemed important to get in so I would go ahead and do the financial aid papers even if you think there's only a small chance you might go there. I just hope I get in on some of that new, free $$ they're handing out this year.

I did think it was great news when some of the current students acted like a student was basically accepted if he/she was on the top 1/3 at this point. I do hope that makes many of you feel a lot better about your status.

ghostchild said:
I did think it was great news when some of the current students acted like a student was basically accepted if he/she was on the top 1/3 at this point. I do hope that makes many of you feel a lot better about your status.

Very nice - any other interesting tales or adventures from the weekend?

apple pie shooters, franzia slaps, jello shots, and lots and lots of beer...depakote knows what i'm talking about

so on that link to the fin aid, under the fafsa part they say:

DO NOT leave any fields blank.

why? didn't on the fafsa leaving it blank also mean zero? i did this throughout most of my app if i needed to skip an entire page, i didn't go through an fill it out w/ 0.00 I just left it blank. I don't think this should be a problem, but they do state it very angrily.

C.P. Jones said:
so on that link to the fin aid, under the fafsa part they say:

DO NOT leave any fields blank.

why? didn't on the fafsa leaving it blank also mean zero? i did this throughout most of my app if i needed to skip an entire page, i didn't go through an fill it out w/ 0.00 I just left it blank. I don't think this should be a problem, but they do state it very angrily.

also, for the primary care loan program...since i am not sure what i want to do, if i were to say no, will that hurt me as they focus on primary care? (i think they would leave it confidential, but this is a good way for them to see who really wants to do primary care or not, and i just don't know right now)

C.P. Jones said:
also, for the primary care loan program...since i am not sure what i want to do, if i were to say no, will that hurt me as they focus on primary care? (i think they would leave it confidential, but this is a good way for them to see who really wants to do primary care or not, and i just don't know right now)

:laugh: I called the financial aid office with this same question about a month ago. I'm almost 100% sure that I want to do primary care, but I do want to keep my options open. The lady told me to check no unless I was absolutely positive that I would be going into primary care. I do believe that your financial aid information isn't even looked at and processed until you get your acceptance. For this, I guess we'll have to take the college on its word. But I don't see how an open mind could be a bad thing to the Adcom, even if you think you're going into primary care. I decided to check no because if you end up going into something else, the interest rate becomes some crazy number like 18%. Besides, since you can only borrow so much and I'm really not sure how much it will cost me to live there, I really might need them to offer me some other type of loan.

I know my story kind of danced around your question and just told you my story but I hope it is some type of help.

Anybody hear anything about when they start pulling from the waitlist? Do they wait until after the May 15 multiple acceptance deadline, or do they start pulling before then? I'm on the top third, but I owe another non-refundable deposit to my backup school by May 1--dirtbags. Good luck everyone! :thumbup:

ghostchild said:
I know my story kind of danced around your question and just told you my story but I hope it is some type of help.

thanks, ghostchild, you answered my question just fine :) :luck:

i think this form deserves the most pointless fin aid application award...well, at least for me. i just wrote my name a couple times, signed it three times, made a check mark........hooray!

Hello fellow potential eager eventual EVMSers.
Here's one for ya: If we are lucky enough to be pulled from the waitlist, when would the deposit be due and how much would it be? And has anybody found the EVMS acceptance thread from last year? I'd like to take a look and see when they started dipping into the waitlist.
Thanks and good luck to all! :horns:

The time for heroic and inspiring stories of in-staters who managed to pull themselves off the middle-third of the waitlist and into the entering class is now.

:p

madi said:
The time for heroic and inspiring stories of in-staters who managed to pull themselves off the middle-third of the waitlist and into the entering class is now.

Is there a different waitlist for out of staters :eek:

BasesofHumanity said:
Is there a different waitlist for out of staters :eek:

Not a different waitlist, per se. But they will pull an in-state person to replace an in-state person and an out-of-state person to replace an out-of-state person. In this way, it's actually a little better to be out-of-state on the EVMS waitlist as so many people wind up dropping as they don't want to pay the tuition since you can't gain VA residency status.

LusuR said:
Hello fellow potential eager eventual EVMSers.
Here's one for ya: If we are lucky enough to be pulled from the waitlist, when would the deposit be due and how much would it be? And has anybody found the EVMS acceptance thread from last year? I'd like to take a look and see when they started dipping into the waitlist.
Thanks and good luck to all! :horns:
From what I understand about it, it really depends on when you are pulled off the waitlist. Normally, you have 2 weeks to return the acceptance deposit and hold your spot in the class which is $100. As it gets closer to the date of orientation they might give you a couple of days or they might just call and want a decision on the spot. During the preview weekend, there was a student what gave a speech about how he was the last person pulled off the waitlist. He was called the week of orientation and asked if he could be there the next day. ;)

I myself have looked but not been able to find last year's thread. But I didn't have the patience to search them all. I would expect a lot of movement around the May 15th drop date and in the weeks following. Just my opinion though.

As a current M1 at EVMS, it's nice to see some active threads on good ol' SDN about this great institution of ours. This forum helped me IMMENSELY when I was sweating the waitlists around this time last year. So I am here to answer any questions you all may have. As far as the waitlist goes, all I can say is to continue to show interest. Don't overdo it, but definitely be persistent. I did exactly that and managed to get pulled off the waitlist three weeks before orientation (white male, out-of-state). I was actually the second to last to get an acceptance offer. My friend/classmate got in the week after I did (WM, in-state). As far as we know, he was in fact the last person to get accepted (i.e., I don't know of anyone who got in the week of orientation). But anyway, for you waitlisters, don't give up! The only possible difference that I could see between this year and last year is that Dr. Robert McCombs retired. He was the Dean of Admissions/Student Affairs. He has since been replaced by Dr. Solhaug. I really don't know if that will make any difference in the profile of the incoming class, but I suppose there is always a chance that it could. But nonetheless, keep at it. If you really want to go here, let them know!

Fusion, thank you for vollenteering to give us your opinion. As a fellow wmoos (white male out of state) I have some questions for you:

-Which third of the waitlist were you in?
-Define persisant (did you send them a letter, once a month, twice, weekly, etc?)
-I am in the top third of the waitlist, so I assume I would get in before someone in the middle third, first is this correct (to the best of your knowledge) and do you know of anyone who was in the middle third that got off the waitlist last year (which I assume means everyone from the top third got in.)

Touchdown said:
Fusion, thank you for vollenteering to give us your opinion. As a fellow wmoos (white male out of state) I have some questions for you:

-Define persisant (did you send them a letter, once a month, twice, weekly, etc?)
-I am in the top third of the waitlist, so I assume I would get in before someone in the middle third, first is this correct (to the best of your knowledge) and do you know of anyone who was in the middle third that got off the waitlist last year (which I assume means everyone from the top third got in.)

I'd appreciate your thoughts on those questions as well, being as I'm another wmoos in the upper third. I guess we all travel in twos and threes ;)

Touchdown said:

one of my tour guides at the preview weekend got in after being in the middle third waitlist...and is it that hard to get in as an OOS white male??? There are a lot more white guys at EVMS than asian or black guys so wouldnt there be a higher probability that a withdrawn acceptance would be coming from a white guy meaning a white guy would be pulled off the waitlist more often?

Vizsla, thank you for answering my question and as a thank you here is the answer to yours. No one is saying that wmoosers have a more difficult time, its just that EVMS replaces people who drop with those from the waitlist that are of the same race, sex and residency (in state or out of state.) I was simply trying to qualify my statement to someone who, since he went through the process last year as a wmoos, is qualified to answer.

Touchdown said:
Vizsla, thank you for answering my question and as a thank you here is the answer to yours. No one is saying that wmoosers have a more difficult time, its just that EVMS replaces people who drop with those from the waitlist that are of the same race, sex and residency (in state or out of state.) I was simply trying to qualify my statement to someone who, since he went through the process last year as a wmoos, is qualified to answer.

oh sorry, I thought you were worried about it being more difficult as a white male OOSer

Fusion said:
I am here to answer any questions you all may have. As far as the waitlist goes, all I can say is to continue to show interest. Don't overdo it, but definitely be persistent. I did exactly that and managed to get pulled off the waitlist three weeks before orientation

Hi Fusion,

Thanks so much for joining the thread. A quick question for you - would you suggest that additional letters of recommendation from supervisiors and additional letters of interest be sent to Dr. Solhaug or to the admissions office in general? Also, were you persistent via e-mail or snail mail? :)

madi said:

One word: creativity.

Do a search for 'ngemie.' She is an M2 who had a great waitlist story and revealed what she did to get in. I was inspired by her story and did something equally as creative. It wasn't a huge production or anything, and I won't say exactly what I did, but Dr. McCombs and the admissions office loved it. Granted, that was in July when nerves would not allow me to sit still for a second and I just HAD to do something. But that isn't all that got me in. I started my campaign from the moment I got my waitlist letter in February. I would send a letter or make a phone call every couple weeks or so until I found out about preview weekend. Being on the upper-middle third of the WL, I did not receive an outright invite to preview but learned about it from this site (thank you SDN). I called the admissions office and asked if I could attend, and they said yes. I got here a day early and went to class w/ my student host and met a couple professors. I hung out w/ the med students that night, attended preview activities the next day and just tried to learn as much as I could about the school. I partied a little more that Saturday night (not too hard, of course ;) ) and really gelled w/ everyone here. I unfortunately did not get to meet Dr. McCombs when I was here for preview, but did write him letters every month or so and spoke w/ him on the phone around the time the WL started moving in May. I followed up w/ a personal meeting w/ him in June. Yes, I flew up just for that, and the meeting lasted all of 5 minutes. But I know that it had to have helped. But again, I can't say that any of this would have worked for me if I had to do it this time around. Dr. McCombs was receptive to these kinds of things and has since retired. Dr. Solhaug is a nice gentleman as well and very student-friendly, but I don't know enough about his admissions 'philosophies' to be sure if what I did last year would have worked for me just as well this year. Nonetheless, it certainly can't hurt.

At this point, I would suggest that any correspondence be addressed to Dr. Solhaug himself. As far as I know, the waitlist does not go in rank order. The office makes a great effort to keep the profile of the class balanced w/ respect to demographics, especially w/ regards to the male:female ratio (though I believe our class has slightly more girls than guys, but overall pretty balanced nonetheless). So if they have to skip over some ppl on the waitlist to find the person they are looking for, that is what they will do. That is why it is important to show interest, because it evidently can tip the scales in your favor.

Does EVMS notify their waitlisted students of acceptance offers via e-mail or snail mail?

Bumping...anyone pulled off the waitlist yet?

Nope - called the office this morning and I'm still in the upper third. I didn't ask about movement, but there apparently was none the week before last. They at least received my letter of interest/intent and my boss's recommendation though. However, having seen the 2005 thread, I don't think I'm so surprised there hasn't been much news as of yet.

Vincir said:
Nope - called the office this morning and I'm still in the upper third. I didn't ask about movement, but there apparently was none the week before last. They at least received my letter of interest/intent and my boss's recommendation though. However, having seen the 2005 thread, I don't think I'm so surprised there hasn't been much news as of yet.

Thanks for the news, Vincir. Are you in-state or OOS?