EVMS Decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I called them today as well and was told of my place on the waitlist. I'm an out of stater.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a white MOOSe ;)

Vincir said:
I'm a white MOOSe ;)

Lol. Thanks, Vincir. Hopefully we'll hear some good news soon. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Vincir said:
Nope - called the office this morning and I'm still in the upper third. I didn't ask about movement, but there apparently was none the week before last. They at least received my letter of interest/intent and my boss's recommendation though. However, having seen the 2005 thread, I don't think I'm so surprised there hasn't been much news as of yet.

sorry im too lazy to look at the 2005 thread...when were most people pulled off the waitlist? in late may-june?

Vizsla said:
sorry im too lazy to look at the 2005 thread...when were most people pulled off the waitlist? in late may-june?

I actually printed it out last week and read it, instead of my microbio of course, but don't have the thing with me. I do remember only five or six people coming off of the waitlist, but then again about tweleve people formed the whole blog.

I know that not everyone uses SDN blogs, but I wish we could come up with a factor for how many actual students every SDN blogger represents. FOr instance, every one of us here could represent 20 actual applicants or so, but then in actuality it would never work because we are so different.

I have gone mad. Waitlists have that effect on me.

this is what i got out of your post:

i have a 50/50 chance of getting in...sweet!

BasesofHumanity said:
I actually printed it out last week and read it, instead of my microbio of course, but don't have the thing with me. I do remember only five or six people coming off of the waitlist, but then again about tweleve people formed the whole blog.

I know that not everyone uses SDN blogs, but I wish we could come up with a factor for how many actual students every SDN blogger represents. FOr instance, every one of us here could represent 20 actual applicants or so, but then in actuality it would never work because we are so different.

I have gone mad. Waitlists have that effect on me.

C.P. Jones said:

No, don't trust me. I'll go home and look at the thing again, instead of microbio.

C.P. Jones said:

:D ...so im guessing its not really a lock to get pulled off if ure in the upper third since they will probably pull people off who fit the demographics of those applicants who have withdrawn their acceptances

well, at least the SMP program has there act together. just got my acceptance letter from them today after just sending my application 2 weeks ago. not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing, lol. anyways, still holding out for the med-school and VCU but the good news is the deposit for the SMP would transfer, at least to EVMS. keep your heads up everyone, it will happen in due time.

Vizsla said:
:D ...so im guessing its not really a lock to get pulled off if ure in the upper third since they will probably pull people off who fit the demographics of those applicants who have withdrawn their acceptances

yea, i'm not too sure what to make of that. being a white oos male, this could work to my advantage, especially if most of the people on the waitlist are in-state, and most of the people declining acceptances are oos due to price/other acceptances....or maybe that's all wrong. oh well, i can't do anything about their procedures

C.P. Jones said:
yea, i'm not too sure what to make of that. being a white oos male, this could work to my advantage, especially if most of the people on the waitlist are in-state, and most of the people declining acceptances are oos due to price/other acceptances....or maybe that's all wrong. oh well, i can't do anything about their procedures

OK,

Regarding the previous year's EVMS waitlist threads, it seems like there were a total fo 19 users, most movement was seen during June and July with one person who claimed to have been the person before the last accepted applicant, and the thread statrted on 5-02-05, so I guess we have a couple of more weeks before the anniversary of that day, also, it seems like about nine people got off of the list.

These are all estimates

Thanks for the info, bases.

Hopefully the movement will happen sooner this year. :luck:

I was on the 2nd third of waitlist last year (interviewed sep, 3.52sci/3.52 overall, 30 Mcat, IN-State.) - tried everything to get in. I'm on 2nd third waitlist this year (interviewed in late Feb).

Just some thoughts from a 2nd time applicant: Searching thru piles and piles of prev threads on waitlist movement can give you some idea as to what happened last year, otherwise it's just abuse on your nerves. No reason in trying to understand the system, because it'll drive you even more crazy.

Some people will get two interviews, one waitlist, one acceptance. Others will end up on six waitlists (like I did last year) and not get in anywhere. Sit back, relax and wait for the pieces to fall into place. Best of Luck to you all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Lubdubb for your post. I agree with your advice. I have been waitlisted and in the middle third of the waitlist too. I have a little different questions.

I really love EVMS but I am not pushing too hard this year because we are expecting our second child in mid August. If I have to re-apply for next year, I am definitely gonna apply to EVMS. I am just wondering if they would notice that I didn't push too hard this year to get an acceptance and thus they might not show any interest in my application.

I know its hard to predict..but still curious. I am planning to write a letter along that line to Dr. Soulhog in May/June.

Thanks!

LUBDUBB said:
I was on the 2nd third of waitlist last year (interviewed sep, 3.52sci/3.52 overall, 30 Mcat, IN-State.) - tried everything to get in. I'm on 2nd third waitlist this year (interviewed in late Feb).

Just some thoughts from a 2nd time applicant: Searching thru piles and piles of prev threads on waitlist movement can give you some idea as to what happened last year, otherwise it's just abuse on your nerves. No reason in trying to understand the system, because it'll drive you even more crazy.

Some people will get two interviews, one waitlist, one acceptance. Others will end up on six waitlists (like I did last year) and not get in anywhere. Sit back, relax and wait for the pieces to fall into place. Best of Luck to you all.

Ugh. That's a fairly ominous warning, LUBDUBB, but I appreciate the point nonetheless. I hope things are going better for you the second time around!

2Deg,

Congrats on your second child. As far as your situation, IMO, the applicant pool is so large that they do not have the time to logically deduce 'oh 2deg is not really interested, or else 2deg would have shown interest last year'.

It's not even guaranteed that you'll get another interview next year, because the application evaluation depends on soo many diff factors. For example, this application cycle I didn't interview at some of the schools at which I did last year, and I interviewed at some new ones ( and I basically applied to the identical schools the 2nd time around). Just depends on too many things: who reviews which application on what day, his/her mood on that day (did they get in a fight with their spouse that morning), how many open seats they have, how many interviews they've already offered to students with in your "stat-bracket"...you get my point. Given this infinite number of unknowns, i really doubt that weather you "push" or not, will have any bearing on next year. Unless, however, you push so hard this year that you forge some relationship with the dean so that he remembers you for next year. This is irrelevant because we're discussing the consequences of you "not pushing". Best of Luck.

Madi,

Thank you for your support. Unfortunately, this year i got 4 interviews in contrast to the 6 i had last year (late application), despite my significant strengthening of my app this time around. One school has already rejected me post interview, two waitlists, and the verdict is still out on Temple. Best of luck to you.

Lubdubb

Thanks Lubdubb for your real nice reply. I plan to write a letter to the dean when all the admissions related stuff is over. To be quite honest with you, I was surprised to get an interview from them. My pre-med grades are good but my UG grades are not mentionable.

Unfortunately, this year I am re-taking August MCAT. So, I will be late in the application cycle. But I will still apply to EVMS.

Take care and best wishes to you.

LUBDUBB said:
2Deg,

Congrats on your second child. As far as your situation, IMO, the applicant pool is so large that they do not have the time to logically deduce 'oh 2deg is not really interested, or else 2deg would have shown interest last year'.

LusuR said:
Hello fellow potential eager eventual EVMSers.
Here's one for ya: If we are lucky enough to be pulled from the waitlist, when would the deposit be due and how much would it be? And has anybody found the EVMS acceptance thread from last year? I'd like to take a look and see when they started dipping into the waitlist.
Thanks and good luck to all! :horns:

Hello, I hope you do get accepted to EVMS. I got accepted and am thrilled (2nd time applying). but the deposit is $100 dollars and if its after the May deadline its due 2 weeks after you receive the package. Good luck to you

Vizsla said:

I think most people are pulled in may-june after the amcas deadline and then it slows down a lot. Thats what they told me when I was waitlisted last year. There maybe some last minute spots during the few weeks preceding. I went to the preview weekend and there was an out of stater that got called the day before classes started. I know someone from a few years ago who got called 7am the first day of classes (in state). So you never know. Good luck!!

kevin_md,
Congratulations on getting in. Just wandering since you ended up not getting in last year and that's where it sounds like many of us are. What kind of things did you do, if anything to make your application better? Or was it pretty much the same application where you showed persistence by applying more than once? Thanks for your help and Congratulations again!

UFO said:
kevin_md,
Congratulations on getting in. Just wandering since you ended up not getting in last year and that's where it sounds like many of us are. What kind of things did you do, if anything to make your application better? Or was it pretty much the same application where you showed persistence by applying more than once? Thanks for your help and Congratulations again!

Thanks, I called alot when I was on the waiting list, at least every few weeks, I got to know the support staff pretty well, Sue Castora and Karen Nanez. It was kind of weird, because I had been speaking with Dr. McCombs (the previous dean of admissions) and had to start over with Dr. Solhaug after McCombs retired. But Dr. Solhaug was very nice though and I set up an appointment to meet with him after I did my secondary to discuss my file, he was very open and very helpful. One thing about EVMS is that if you don't get in you can set up a meeting with them and they'll actually tell you what they believed was lacking in your application. So you have some focus onto the next application round. I retook the MCAT and took additional courses which also helped, and the fact that I got to know everyone from the previous year helped a whole lot. I used the same letters of recomendation, but I reworked my personal statement. Last year I was in the bottom 1/3 on the wait list so I think all of that combined helped. I hope that helps you. Good luck!

Random Zoidberg Action to entertain those of us on the waitlist...

1e0095c3cec58e256acbd03a8c561b1.gif

^On another somewhat related note, Mark Price (producer of the Simpsons, Futurama and creator of the Critic) visited G-town last friday and he said Futurama is on its way back to TV!

haha. thanks depakote, much appreciated. btw, anyone heard anything about movement on the waitlist recently? most importantly off the in-state list. anyways, guess it's about time to start playing hardball. good luck to all.

Touchdown said:
^On another somewhat related note, Mark Price (producer of the Simpsons, Futurama and creator of the Critic) visited G-town last friday and he said Futurama is on its way back to TV!

Those are possibly the 3 best cartoons of all time. But King of the Hill, Family Guy, and Space Ghost Coast to Coast were all pretty close! :cool:

ghostchild said:
It makes sense that the interviews have ended and everybody has been evaluated before having the preview weekend so they would know exactly who to invite. I would think that this thread might be used over the next few weeks as people begin to get pulled in off the waitlist to fill the remaining spots and any possible withdrawals. That was why I originally asked, I think it's about time to expect waitlist movement because probably nobody else remains to be evaluated by the Adcom. Hear that Tacrum??? Good luck to all waiting. Can't wait to hear all the success stories ;). Hope you all hear good news real soon! :thumbup: EVMS will be a great place to be come August!

I know this is a month after the fact, but I just found this thread and thought I'd add some input...Don't be so sure about no one else remaining to be evaluated by Adcom- I know I just got evaluated last week. I interviewed back in the middle of February, but my committee member just turned in my file last week. I called today and am waitlisted in the middle third. Since it's the end of April and I'm middle third, I'm thinking my chances aren't great... but I hope it works out for everyone else!

buckeyebee said:
I know this is a month after the fact, but I just found this thread and thought I'd add some input...Don't be so sure about no one else remaining to be evaluated by Adcom- I know I just got evaluated last week. I interviewed back in the middle of February, but my committee member just turned in my file last week. I called today and am waitlisted in the middle third. Since it's the end of April and I'm middle third, I'm thinking my chances aren't great... but I hope it works out for everyone else!
Hmmmm ... very interesting. Sorry if I implied any false knowledge by saying that I thought probably nobody remains to be evaluated and added to the wait list. It would make sense they would review everybody before preview weekend but I guess that was not the case. I suppose there's always those later interviews and subsequent reviews. Thanks for correcting me! I stand corrected. I guess that clears that up. :)

edit: also good luck! :luck: I wish you all the best on getting the acceptance. :luck:

ghostchild said:
Hmmmm ... very interesting. Sorry if I implied any false knowledge by saying that I thought probably nobody remains to be evaluated and added to the wait list. It would make sense they would review everybody before preview weekend but I guess that was not the case. I suppose there's always those later interviews and subsequent reviews. Thanks for correcting me! I stand corrected. I guess that clears that up. :)

edit: also good luck! :luck: I wish you all the best on getting the acceptance. :luck:

Sorry if I sounded at all rude with that last post- that wasn't my intention, I think I am just a little bitter about the two month turn-around when it seems like many people heard within two weeks. If it hadn't happened to me, I would've had the exact same assumption as you. It's easy to think when interviews are over, so are the adcom's decisions... but circumstances may lead to adcom decisions being reached on files up until May 15th. I guess in some ways it gives hope to people though- at least a reason why the waitlist might not move much until then since decisions are still being made. I just figured I would let you all know about it so that you aren't under the assumption that all decisions have already been made. There's still hope for waitlist movement!

Thanks for the luck by the way, I have a feeling I'll need it with that middle third ranking. I need to start devising ways to make it into the top third :rolleyes:

buckeyebee said:
Sorry if I sounded at all rude with that last post- that wasn't my intention, I think I am just a little bitter about the two month turn-around when it seems like many people heard within two weeks. If it hadn't happened to me, I would've had the exact same assumption as you. It's easy to think when interviews are over, so are the adcom's decisions... but circumstances may lead to adcom decisions being reached on files up until May 15th. I guess in some ways it gives hope to people though- at least a reason why the waitlist might not move much until then since decisions are still being made. I just figured I would let you all know about it so that you aren't under the assumption that all decisions have already been made. There's still hope for waitlist movement!

Thanks for the luck by the way, I have a feeling I'll need it with that middle third ranking. I need to start devising ways to make it into the top third :rolleyes:
Nope, really, you didn't sound rude at all. I was actually hoping somebody out there would know so the truth and correct me if I was wrong. I was happy that you did!! :laugh: Sorry tho, when I replied to your last one I was in a bit of a hurry and didn't put many smiley faces in it!! :laugh: :) :)

But I do hope you get in! Search around on SDN. Everybody says to keep in contact with the school and try something creative! But good luck and if there's any other info you can give us feel free to chime in! Good Luck again! :luck:

Has anyone on the waitlist heard any good news recently from EVMS?

WOOSMs in the house!

people, stop being so white and out of state...and male...please

Depakote said:
Let me guess, you're all White out-of-state males too. V_V

:laugh:
It's possible that WOOSMs just have a higher probability of being on sdn?? Perhaps all the females are on blogs or myspace.??? :laugh:

ghostchild said:
:laugh:
It's possible that WOOSMs just have a higher probability of being on sdn?? Perhaps all the females are on blogs or myspace.??? :laugh:

Hey...what about me? I'm a WINF (that sounds vaguely like a file in my registry key...)

Anyone gotten in off the waitlist recently?

Vincir said:
Somebody's eager ;)

;)

It's not just medical school or no medical school anymore. It's medical school versus the $52K tuition for the Georgetown SMP Program, which may or may not get me into medical school and thus may leave me with no MD and $52K to pay back in loans.

:eek:

ACK! LET ME IN, EVMS!!!!!!!

Hey Madi. Have you thought about the med masters program at evms? just wondering?
madi said:
;)

It's not just medical school or no medical school anymore. It's medical school versus the $52K tuition for the Georgetown SMP Program, which may or may not get me into medical school and thus may leave me with no MD and $52K to pay back in loans.

:eek:

ACK! LET ME IN, EVMS!!!!!!!

madi said:
Hey...what about me? I'm a WINF (that sounds vaguely like a file in my registry key...)

:laugh: Don't feel bad, I'm a WINM (that sounds like something on my registry key too). But I do get the impression that we are in the minority on here! But that just means we're super cool .... :cool: :thumbup:

edit: but why wouldn't you be a WISF? :confused: But I'll go with the WIN_ designation for now!

ghostchild said:
:laugh: Don't feel bad, I'm a WINM (that sounds like something on my registry key too). But I do get the impression that we are in the minority on here! But that just means we're super cool .... :cool: :thumbup:

I myself am a WOOSF. That almost sounds like a bark. It does seem the females are in low numbers on here... maybe that's a good sign?!

buckeyebee said:
I myself am a WOOSF. That almost sounds like a bark. It does seem the females are in low numbers on here... maybe that's a good sign?!

That does sound good for you. I'm all for more gals in the class. :D :D :D

BTW. I prefer the acronym white MOOSe... just makes it funnier.

Depakote said:
BTW. I prefer the acronym white MOOSe... just makes it funnier.

:)

Yeah, there sure are a lot of us white MOOSes on the waitlist at EVMS.