EVMS Decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
tacrum43 said:
There really aren't very many spots there for out of staters, are there?

Any ideas on how many people are on the waitlist? Especially for out of staters?

No idea about this year's waitlist, but here's a good link if you want to sink a day going through statistics:
http://www.evms.edu/admin/docs/2004-2005_factbook.pdf

I seriously spent about 3 hours looking at it a few nights ago. They made 90 total OOS offers last year, male and female. So I do wish everybody on here the very best of luck :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I called EVMS today and found out that I had slipped back down to the middle 1/3 (so far: Upper 1/3 - Upper 1/3 - Middle 1/3 - Upper 1/3 - Middle 1/3 - ACK!).

The woman who answered said the in-state list has had a little movement recently but not much. :( Hopefully it will pick up after Monday.

Good-luck to all of you waiting, both IS and OOS. :luck:

Touchdown said:
The numbers are matriculants, but that number is a more down to earth number, because thats how many spots are available.

yea, but i think for a state school, especially w/ such a high out of state tuition, that matriculant number won't be as tightly connected with accepted number

Members don't see this ad :)
madi said:
I called EVMS today and found out that I had slipped back down to the middle 1/3 (so far: Upper 1/3 - Upper 1/3 - Middle 1/3 - Upper 1/3 - Middle 1/3 - ACK!).

The woman who answered said the in-state list has had a little movement recently but not much. :( Hopefully it will pick up after Monday.

Good-luck to all of you waiting, both IS and OOS. :luck:
I'm sorry Madi, but don't give up because there is hope! You're in-state aren't you? I would think that there would be a lot of overlap on the accepted list for VA's 4 med schools. After people must cut it down to one school, I would think that there will be movement everywhere because all 4 schools have something truly different to offer and everybody bases their decision on something different, so I still have high hopes for you! :luck: And for all the MOOSes on the thread, FOOSes, MISes, FISes, and whatever else might be lurking on the thread :laugh: :luck:

It's kind of funny how the May 15th date is dreaded by some because they must make a decision but welcomed by others that are on the waitlist. Sorry guys, I did all I could by withdrawing from everywere but EVMS several weeks to a month ago.

Something that has occurred to me... *crosses fingers*

Would they wait until after May 15 to send out their acceptances so there isn't a conflict for people suddenly holding multiple acceptances on May 12+? I know they still have X number of days to make up their mind post May 15, but it seems like the sort of thing that might make sense...

or is this just me?

It is truly a confusing system. I'm not exactly sure how they would handle it. I was thinking that they would have AdCom meetings to decide who gets a withdrawn spot once a week or so. That way, I was thinking it would probably just depend on what is decided in those meetings if they are still having them.
In essence, I have no idea! :confused:

ghostchild said:
I'm sorry Madi, but don't give up because there is hope! You're in-state aren't you? I would think that there would be a lot of overlap on the accepted list for VA's 4 med schools. After people must cut it down to one school, I would think that there will be movement everywhere because all 4 schools have something truly different to offer and everybody bases their decision on something different, so I still have high hopes for you! :luck: And for all the MOOSes on the thread, FOOSes, MISes, FISes, and whatever else might be lurking on the thread :laugh: :luck:

It's kind of funny how the May 15th date is dreaded by some because they must make a decision but welcomed by others that are on the waitlist. Sorry guys, I did all I could by withdrawing from everywere but EVMS several weeks to a month ago.

Thanks, ghostchild. I just don't understand how I slipped back down to the middle 1/3 again...*sigh*

Hopefully we'll hear some good news this week for at least some of the people on this thread.

madi said:
Runnergirl, are you in-state or out of state?

Hey madi,

Sorry for the delay in response! I'm an in-state female...I actually just called today to check to make sure they had received my letter, and they hadn't, so I sent a quick email telling them the same thing. Hopefully they have a quick turn-around...I hope you get my spot, and soon! Good luck! :luck:

runnergirl said:
Hey madi,

Sorry for the delay in response! I'm an in-state female...I actually just called today to check to make sure they had received my letter, and they hadn't, so I sent a quick email telling them the same thing. Hopefully they have a quick turn-around...I hope you get my spot, and soon! Good luck! :luck:

Thanks so much, Runnergirl. Good-luck at your school of choice!

bump...

...any news?

madi said:
bump...

...any news?

:laugh: i just came over to pre-allo to bump this thread too

I called the office today to see if my two most recent reference letters had been received, and found out that I was accepted!

Thanks so much and good luck to all of you as the wait continues. I'm rooting for you!

Members don't see this ad :)
madi said:
I called the office today to see if my two most recent reference letters had been received, and found out that I was accepted!

Thanks so much and good luck to all of you as the wait continues. I'm rooting for you!

CONGRATS!!!!!!

Em1 said:
CONGRATS!!!!!!

Thanks so much, Em1!

I'm convinced I received the spot of someone who posted on this thread, so thank-you to whomever that was.

madi said:

Congratulations, Madi! You're in! No SMP for you. :)

congrats madi!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i'm definitely calling tomorrow, but i know you were in a much better position than i....it would just be nice to hear them say the list is moving already :scared:

:thumbup: :D :D

C.P. Jones said:
congrats madi!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i'm definitely calling tomorrow, but i know you were in a much better position than i....it would just be nice to hear them say the list is moving already :scared:

:thumbup: :D :D

Congratulations Madi :)

I hope that the rest of us on here will receive good news in the next few weeks as well.

I'm in London right now, but I actually think I will try to give a call too ;)

P.S. If any of you ever get to travel over here, you really should see the Hunterian Museum at the Royal College of Surgeons - you get a real sense of how far the science of medicine has come and what have been the costs of the knowledge too.

madi said:

Madi, a special congrats to you!!! I know you were waiting on that list for a while, glad to hear you got in :)

Hopefully I'll have the same luck soon!!

So, if Madi was accepted and she was at the border of the 1st/2nd third, does this mean EVMS has exhausted the top tier and is now dipping into the middle third??

I'm just trying to think real positive here.

Depakote said:
Oh, and Madi...

can you post when your snailmail acceptance comes?

just so we know when the first batch of paper acceptances hit...

Will do.

Thanks for all of the support. I really encourage everyone to fight for this acceptance if you want it. I believe that it was the additional letters of reference sent in on my behalf that swayed EVMS.

LUBDUBB said:
So, if Madi was accepted and she was at the border of the 1st/2nd third, does this mean EVMS has exhausted the top tier and is now dipping into the middle third??

I'm just trying to think real positive here.

EVMS reserves the right to pull from any tier. Now whether Madi did something to bump herself into the top tier or just had a selection factor that got her pulled from the middle tier because no one in the top tier had it... dunno.

madi said:
Will do.

Thanks for all of the support. I really encourage everyone to fight for this acceptance if you want it. I believe that it was the additional letters of reference sent in on my behalf that swayed EVMS.

Ahh... depending on when you asked and when you sent those letters. I'm betting they put you in the top 1/3 and swayed the decision.

Depakote said:
Ahh... depending on when you asked and when you sent those letters. I'm betting they put you in the top 1/3 and swayed the decision.

When I called on Friday they hadn't received the two strongest and most recent letters, and I was in the middle 1/3.

When I called on Tuesday they had received the letters and offered me an acceptance.

Maybe it was luck or good timing, but I really would suggest that anyone trying to get in off the waitlist look and see if there's anyone in a good position to speak for them that hasn't had the chance yet.

I just called, and they told me I'm in the middle third. they didn't say anything about being in the top of the middle third like they have the last 2 times i called. i figured with movement starting I would have moved up by now, but i guess not :( oh well, that's all i have for now. :luck:

i just called and got a message...i have sinking feeling that ive been bumped to middle 1/3

Congratulations Madi!

I just sent an additional letter... maybe I should give them a call today too...

Vizsla said:
i just called and got a message...i have sinking feeling that ive been bumped to middle 1/3

:laugh: I just tried calling too. I think they're at lunch right now. Or maybe they're monitoring SDN and wanted to avoid a bombardment of calls. lol.

I tried calling again, and the nice lady told me "you're still in the upper third" (which I was told I wasn't anymore when I called a few months ago). So yay, I guess. Come on acceptance!

I think I finally solved the mystery of the thirds. Apparently it's actually all based on a point score. I don't think there really are in fact "thirds", or if they exist they're kind of a subjective term that the admissions person assigns based on your score and their knowledge of what is a good score, an okay score or a not so good score. Kind of like if you asked someone if a 30 is a good MCAT score. Some would say yes, some might say it's just okay and a few might say it's actually bad.

:luck: to my fellow WaMOOSes, and others who are hoping for an acceptance.

tacrum43 said:
I tried calling again, and the nice lady told me "you're still in the upper third" (which I was told I wasn't anymore when I called a few months ago). So yay, I guess. Come on acceptance!

I think I finally solved the mystery of the thirds. Apparently it's actually all based on a point score. I don't think there really are in fact "thirds", or if they exist they're kind of a subjective term that the admissions person assigns based on your score and their knowledge of what is a good score, an okay score or a not so good score. Kind of like if you asked someone if a 30 is a good MCAT score. Some would say yes, some might say it's just okay and a few might say it's actually bad.

:luck: to my fellow WaMOOSes, and others who are hoping for an acceptance.

So you're saying it's like they just look at everyone and rate then a 1, 2 or 3?? So in theory there could be a 100 pl on the WL 90 in the "top third" and the rest in the other "thirds"? I still don't understand how it explains the shifting from one thrid to the other? Unless it's different ppl picking up the phone, even just two ppl, and they look at your overall score and just roughly judge your which "third" you're in. My head hurts now.

I say the shifting comes from the actions we are taking/not taking...

Say I'm in the middle third. Then I send a Letter of Intent. They say... "Gee, this guy really wants to come here, let's move him a little higher on the list."

Now I'm in the upper third. Someone that hasn't done anything since their September interview moves down. Then I call and pester the really nice people in the Admissions Office once every 2 days for a month.

I mysteriously drop to the middle third.

So I take action.

I key my next LOI into Dr. Solhaug's car along and begin calling him at home nightly... every half hour.

This likely drops my application into the lower third... I'm not sure, the people in the white coats won't let me call EVMS anymore.

LUBDUBB said:
So you're saying it's like they just look at everyone and rate then a 1, 2 or 3?? So in theory there could be a 100 pl on the WL 90 in the "top third" and the rest in the other "thirds"? I still don't understand how it explains the shifting from one thrid to the other? Unless it's different ppl picking up the phone, even just two ppl, and they look at your overall score and just roughly judge your which "third" you're in. My head hurts now.

What I said is just my own conjecture about how it might work based on what I've learned in talking with people in the admissions office. I tried to explain it the best I could, but again it's just my thoughts. I'm sure the admissions people can give you a good idea what third you're in (and not 90/100 are top third).

But yes, I think that besides the shifting from additional applicants being ranked and added (which is over now) and those withdrawing (ongoing), it really sounds like which "third" you are in is based on an interpretation by the person you are presently speaking with as they look at your total point score. But I guess then the question is will on LOI change your point score? Or does the admissions committee have the final say, and can pull anyone at any time, and they just usually go by scores? Mind games are fun. :smuggrin:

However, I'm still confused because a friend of mine was supposedly in the middle third, but got in last week. Who knows? It's sounds like it's pretty subjective the whole way through. I think the wisest thing to do is just try to stay positive and indicate interest. And not to think about it too much. ;)

tacrum43 said:
However, I'm still confused because a friend of mine was supposedly in the middle third, but got in last week. Who knows? It's sounds like it's pretty subjective the whole way through. I think the wisest thing to do is just try to stay positive and indicate interest. And not to think about it too much. ;)

What I've heard about this is that they replace the people they miss. As close as possible. (i.e. White Male, Out of State, plenty of clinical experience, some research, brown eyes, capricorn, likes long walks on the beach, etc.) They'll try to do this out of the top third if possible, but if they cannot do so, they'll dip into the middle and then lower third before completly depleting the top third.

Letter of rec. still hasn't gotten there...

Still in middle third...

Ugh.

i've written two well spaced out Letters of interest, and had a LOR from my PI sent in, and i've been in the middle third this entire time

do all of you live in the VA area? i live in CT, so idk if that might have something to do w/ it

I suppose it's time for another update letter and LOI. All this talk has gotten me really curious about my current spot on the waitlist so I will call tomorrow. That way they will know I'm interested, but I didn't call so soon after May 15 that they'll know I'm always lurking on sdn, and basically being an evms stalker!

UFO said:
I suppose it's time for another update letter and LOI. All this talk has gotten me really curious about my current spot on the waitlist so I will call tomorrow. That way they will know I'm interested, but I didn't call so soon after May 15 that they'll know I'm always lurking on sdn, and basically being an evms stalker!

i'm done w/ updates unless i'm still on this waitlist in july. til then...i think i'll give a call in 2 or 3 weeks

are med schools like girls, can't really call them all the time, but if you don't call, they get mad?

Congrats Madi! Did I not say that you would get in? I knew you would get in! :thumbup: I'm really happy for you! I hope to see you in Norfolk this fall! :cool:
Also, congrats to Tacrum for at least being told you were in the upper 1/3.

And yes, med schools are definitely like girls. There's a thin line between showing interest and being a stalker. There's also a thin line between showing interest and not showing near enough interest. All girls/schools are different and so complicated that I can't understand any of them. I just try to smile and be friendly. At least, that's what my lawyer says to do about my upcoming stalker case. :laugh:

ghostchild said:
Also, congrats to Tacrum for at least being told you were in the upper 1/3.

Yeah, thanks I guess. :p I'm not going to dare to call and ask again about which 1/3 I'm in. Too much stress.

ghostchild said:
Congrats Madi! Did I not say that you would get in? I knew you would get in! :thumbup: I'm really happy for you! I hope to see you in Norfolk this fall! :cool:

Thanks so much, ghostchild. I just read through the entire handbook from the preview weekend (thanks, Depakote!) and I'm regaining the sense of enthusiasm I had thinking about attending med school that was draining away through the entire applciations process. I'll be happy if I end up at EVMS this fall. :)

called and im still upper third...but I dont even know what that means anymore.

Vizsla said:
but I dont even know what that means anymore.

Yeah, well, you're not alone in your confusion. ;)

Vizsla said:
called and im still upper third...but I dont even know what that means anymore.
It's obviously a formula concocted by Professor ScrewLoose ... :laugh:
If you all don't watch 1st and 10 on espn you probably don't get that joke

let's see if i can shed some light on this... i totally agree with the person a few posts back that said that people have points and that depending on which person picks up the phone, they assess where your points fall (ie top, middle, or bottom third)

i personally had a rather unpleasant albeit fortuitous thing happen to me... after 4-6 weeks after i interviewed last fall, i called the office and asked what the decision was. i was told that i was waitlisted and at the very bottom third... i was shocked and quite frankly taken-aback. Though my stats aren't great, i have worked with evms on several occasions... anyway, long story short, i call about a month later and the woman on the phone tells me that i'm top third--now, knowing how the waitlist works and it being only winter, i was shocked. i asked how it happened that i went from bottom to top (not even middle!). she told me in a way that someone must've either mis-read me the points assigned to the person below me (sorry dude!) or may have mis-assessed my points. again, unpleasant yet fortuitous...

so i agree that there are points and i agree that someone in the office is assigning thirds depending on your points. but as to who gets off the list and from which third--i have no clue. i also don't really know whether writing more and submitting more really changes your points or not. i spoke with dean solhaug a few months ago and he gave me the impression that your points can't really change--but he was still very pleased to see me... it's all been really really confusing...

so my path has been: from bottom-->top-->middle-->top ...??

i'm just crossing my fingers and running to the mailbox everyday :luck: :scared: :oops: :p :cool:

i really wish they would just call/email acceptances off the waitlist...it would make it move so much faster

Don't let yourself become too preoccupied with your rank on the waitlist. Enthusiasm and continued interest in EVMS is what gets you accepted in the end.

Fusion said:
Don't let yourself become too preoccupied with your rank on the waitlist. Enthusiasm and continued interest in EVMS is what gets you accepted in the end.
Agreed. That's all anybody can really do. But feel free to use sdn as a place to vent and speculate. It seems as if that's what this site is here for! Especially if it makes any of you feel any better.

Depakote said:
Oh, and Madi...

can you post when your snailmail acceptance comes?

just so we know when the first batch of paper acceptances hit...

yes. I'm neurotic.

I was accepted off the waitlist by phone last Tuesday (May 16th). They had to change my address on the paperwork before they sent it out, and I received it yesterday evening (May 23rd). Hope that helps!