EVMS Medical Masters 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benjaminl1nus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's get this thread started! Who's applying/applied?

Also - current EVMSers, please feel free to comment on how you like the program!

Members don't see this ad.

I just applied!! 3.5/30 OOS. Hoping to get in!

Nice. your chances seem pretty good. I'm having a bit of trouble applying, actually. I sent in the application only to find out that EVMS will only consider my application AFTER i am complete with my pre reqs (Which would be in May). So basically I won't be considered until May even though I finished the application in October. Dumb.

3.0/37 OOS

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you hear that the class size has apparently tripled...they're now saying approx 100 kids for only 30ish interview spots. WAY less than the 80-90% acceptance rate to EVMS they used to have if you completed the program. Kinda bummed.

Yeah, that's what the scuttlebutt is. No longer just a 2nd chance opportunity, it's a money-making scheme now lol.

but hey...there's still a chance, so i'll take it.

Reactions: 1 user
Did you hear that the class size has apparently tripled...they're now saying approx 100 kids for only 30ish interview spots. WAY less than the 80-90% acceptance rate to EVMS they used to have if you completed the program. Kinda bummed.
Current MM here. For this year's class, there's 58 of us, although we started with 61 (a few students left for personal reasons). We were told that ~50 would be interviewed early next semester. Last year (of 66 students, I believe), 56% of students were accepted right after the completion of the program and are current M1's at EVMS. As of now, 72% of that class has been accepted overall into medical school (including some who have interviewed and been accepted to EVMS for the MD2019 class). Yes, the class is no longer 30-35 students, but it's nowhere near 100.

I think 50 of 58 total students being interviewed this year is fair. If you're at the bottom of the class, they could interview you, but that might be more of a formality, as you probably aren't that competitive. Next year the curriculum for the standard 1-year MM class will be the same, with the addition of Immunology in the Spring. They're also adding 2-year program designed for students who really need to spend more time rebuilding their resume. The 2 year option includes medical shadowing and volunteer experience as course credit, and an MCAT prep course. To be honest I'm not sure how many students they're anticipating for the 2-year program, as it's a brand new option.

Not surprised they aren't going to look at your app until after your pre-reqs. The MM year is very rigorous, with 2 M1 classes in the Fall, and 3 in the Spring. If you don't perform well in your undergrad pre-reqs, it might be telling of how you'll do in MM, so they probably just want to make sure you'll be alright.

I think the program is great. The professors here are really available, and it's a close-knit community. I come from an undergrad of 32,000 students, so being somewhere where the staff knew my face and name within the minute (literally) that I walked into orientation, I knew that they really want you to succeed. The courses are hard, but what do you expect?We're about to finish up first semester and I think most of us are ready for a much needed break, but I think we are all pretty prepared for the last few exams. Can't promise I'll be on SDN much until break, but PM me if you guys have any questions that I could answer as a current student. We're all friends with a lot of the former MM's who are now M1's and I could always ask them about other questions you might have.

Not surprised they aren't going to look at your app until after your pre-reqs.

Well, I graduated with a biochem major, completed all the premed reqs except for Bio I lab and gen chem, so it's not like I have no academic history. i just find it a little unfair. ah well, their rules i guess.

thanks so much for all the helpful info. sounds like a lot of the negativity surrounding the changes in MM were overplayed/exaggerated. good to know :)

Is anyone aware of anyone with a really sub-par GPA getting accepted currently or previously into the program? Like between 2.75-3.00 sub-par?

I mean, I've seen plenty of people with 3.0's get in. Anything below that is a little harder to do, you should have all your EC's and MCAT in order...but if so, then you have a chance based on past year's threads for all post-baccs.

Okay, thanks! I'm trying really hard to get it up to 3.0 but it's so god damn hard. I messed up really badly in college. Wish I could go back and slap myself silly for how stupid I was! I'm obviously going to try for DO but I want to try for EVMS too.

Accepted!! Was "complete" on Tuesday I believe.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted today! Was complete the first week of December, but had input on my resume section that I updated yesterday. So so excited!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, congrats on the acceptance do you guys mind sharing your stats? I applied and have also been getting some help with my resume format. I wasn't sure if that was common for the program or not.

Hey, congrats on the acceptance do you guys mind sharing your stats? I applied and have also been getting some help with my resume format. I wasn't sure if that was common for the program or not.
Yeah it's common, and really gracious of them, too. A couple days after I completed the app, I got an e-mail with suggestions on my personal statement as well as resume. Very helpful!

Reactions: 1 users
Can you apply to both "one year" and "2 years" programs in the same time? Or you can only apply for one?

Only apply for one at a time. I was applying for the one year but decided together with the admissions counselors that I'd be a better fit for the two year program. They refunded my one year app fee too :). Don't hesitate to take full advantage of all the help they offer, it is really awesome how involved they are even in the app process!

3.6/24 (yea-mcat's a downer. Glad I'll finally get some structured help along with all the other amazing courses/opportunities!)

I applied on the 10th and requested my transcripts be sent. The schools I've attended said they sent them but I called and EVMS still hasn't received them. Anyone else have this transcript delay problem?

Yea that's my recent one. So what? I wouldn't make any assumptions on anyone else's credentials if I were you. We are all individual applicants with highly competitive accomplishments, and they happened to see the aptitude for success in me

Yea that's my recent one. So what? I wouldn't make any assumptions on anyone else's credentials if I were you. We are all individual applicants with highly competitive accomplishments, and they happened to see the aptitude for success in me

That may be. I didn't mean to insult at all. It does however make me question their admissions standards...no applicant with a 24 MCAT will be looked at seriously by any MD school, no matter how well he/she did in SMP...i mean, there's Step 1/2/3 which are all standardized, a 24 MCAT does not bode well. But, you're totally right I shouldn't assume. Just thinking out loud.

Remember, I was admitted into their two year program, which helps with MCAT prep. This extended program is catered towards students who would benefit from a structured prep course in addition to the wonderful more classic SMP opportunities. We all know many fantastic and dedicated doctors who didn't have their best test score on the MCAT. Oh well, there's many paths to greatness haha. I guess if you're second guessing the quality or standards of EVMS maybe it's best you don't go there if you're admitted.

Remember, I was admitted into their two year program, which helps with MCAT prep. This extended program is catered towards students who would benefit from a structured prep course in addition to the wonderful more classic SMP opportunities. We all know many fantastic and dedicated doctors who didn't have their best test score on the MCAT. Oh well, there's many paths to greatness haha. I guess if you're second guessing the quality or standards of EVMS maybe it's best you don't go there if you're admitted.

That's a good point...I only recently learned about their 2 year track. Actually, that sounds like a pretty good idea! You may have a low MCAT but at least this program is structured to accommodate that. My bad. (This is why I shouldn't assume things!!) lol.

Anyways, good luck, and congrats.

i got accepted, and i was just wondering if i am allowed to pay the deposit and accept a spot, but possibly not attend later? i want to keep my options open.

i feel like this is a stupid question, but i don't know the answer.

i got accepted, and i was just wondering if i am allowed to pay the deposit and accept a spot, but possibly not attend later? i want to keep my options open.

i feel like this is a stupid question, but i don't know the answer.

Sure it's allowed. But they won't refund your deposit if you decide on another program down the road. It's a steep price for peace of mind but probably unavoidable.

Complete 2/3! I wonder how fast the turnaround is.

Just got accepted yesterday! Still waiting to hear from VCU about the CERT program though.

Well I got an email saying my application was complete and forwarded to the admissions committee for review on 1/26, but then I got another email saying the same thing 1/29, so who knows what day it was actually forwarded to the committee. But I had emailed someone at the program earlier in the year asking about the process, and basically they said once your application is complete, it's forwarded to the committee, and they usually meet on a Tuesday, and you get a response the same day they meet. So you'll probably hear from them Tuesday after you're marked complete. Sorry that was kinda wordy.

Well I got an email saying my application was complete and forwarded to the admissions committee for review on 1/26, but then I got another email saying the same thing 1/29, so who knows what day it was actually forwarded to the committee. But I had emailed someone at the program earlier in the year asking about the process, and basically they said once your application is complete, it's forwarded to the committee, and they usually meet on a Tuesday, and you get a response the same day they meet. So you'll probably hear from them Tuesday after you're marked complete. Sorry that was kinda wordy.
Wow! so, a fast turnaround. What are your stats, if I may ask? (and it's perfectly fine if you mind...)

Well I still have one semester left of my senior year, but currently I have a 3.3, and a 34 for MCAT

Just got accepted yesterday! Still waiting to hear from VCU about the CERT program though.
Long story short.. I was in the CERT program before I was at EVMS in the medical master's (You can PM me if you really want to know the details), and I can confidently say that from an academic standpoint, the Med Master's program at EVMS is infinitely better than CERT. Med school classes. Smaller program size. More direct interaction with faculty and staff. Interactions with standardized patients. Ultrasound and Anatomy labs. The only thing I can say that I liked more about CERT was just being on the MCV campus, but I'm partial to Richmond as I grew up there.

I'm also from Richmond, and VCU is my absolute #1 choice of medical school to eventually attend, so I guess I'm just worried that if I get accepted to the CERT program, and then chose not to attend, it might somehow hurt my chances of getting into VCU in the future? Maybe that's a silly thing to worry about, but idk.

Anyone hearing anything? I applied 2 weeks ago and still no response...Getting antsy. I have this fear that I'll be waitlisted, just like I was WL'ed for Cincinnati's program.

I am thinking about applying here. I just need a shot!

Honestly Virginia had some pretty bad weather this week, so EVMS might not have even been open yesterday, in which case the committee wouldn't have met, so no decisions would have been made this week. Hopefully you'll hear soon though!

Also, did anyone else on this thread also apply to VCU's CERT program?? I'm trying to figure out how long it'll take to hear back about being accepted or not.

I'm hoping I hear back.. Just crossing my fingers

I got my acceptance today I'm so excited

Reactions: 4 users
I got my acceptance today I'm so excited
Congrats!! What were your stats?

I heard back today, but it was from Amy saying that even though I am 'complete', I am not eligible for review, because I haven't completed my Gen Chem Lab and Bio Lab requirements (in progress now), and I'll be done with those classes by mid may...oh well.

I was accepted to the 2 year program today. Completed app on the 13th. 28 mcat, 3.1 cGPA

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats!! What were your stats?

I heard back today, but it was from Amy saying that even though I am 'complete', I am not eligible for review, because I haven't completed my Gen Chem Lab and Bio Lab requirements (in progress now), and I'll be done with those classes by mid may...oh well.

Last edited:
Mind messaging me the link? I already accepted my spot!
Ah sorry I'm on my phone and I'm technologically inept lol. Search " EVMS Two-Year SMP C/O 2017 " though and request to join! You will get an email probably soon with the link from admin too, if you can't find it when I get home I'll get the link

Got an acceptance to the program today! I also have an acceptance from Boston U for their MAMS program, but I am concerned that most students take 2 years to finish vs. this program which usually takes 1. I need help deciding which of the two to pick from! Any help would be appreciated :)