EVMS Medical Masters 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if you accept and make a deposit for EVMS, will it hurt your chances at the schools you are still waiting to hear from?

Members don't see this ad.

No. I did it...and received all my II after doing so.

Just got accepted, decided to make an account to comment on this thread. 33 mcat, 2.7 cGPA, but strong science GPA (3.6) and good ECs. Like many others, I'm waiting on VCU's CERT and some other programs. I accepted the spot at EVMS though, I'm super excited. Good luck!
Good for you! Did you get into the 1 year or 2 year program? Also, do you mind sharing when you submitted your application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if EVMS offers any type of scholarships or grants for this program?

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if EVMS offers any type of scholarships or grants for this program?
Generally no. Low GPA programs don't generally inspire rich alumni or community associations to endow funding for scholarships. The money goes to med students. This isn't specific to EVMS.

You can see the entire list of EVMS scholarships on evms.edu under financial aid.

Reactions: 1 users
Generally no. Low GPA programs don't generally inspire rich alumni or community associations to endow funding for scholarships. The money goes to med students. This isn't specific to EVMS.

You can see the entire list of EVMS scholarships on evms.edu under financial aid.
Dr Midlife I love your responses you don't mince words AT ALL .. ;)

Complete 3/5
Accepted 3/23 (1 year program)!

Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
Got an email saying I was "complete" on 03/17 and was accepted on 03/23. Good luck, everyone!

Accepted into 1 yr program today.

Hey guys,

I am currently filling out an application to this program and I'm still debating on whether or not I should do the 1 or 2 year program. I was wondering if those of you who have gotten acceptances or are in the process of applying would mind sharing your stats.

I have a 3.41 uGPA, 3.53 sGPA, Most recent MCAT is 28 (PS:11 VR:6 BS:11), 100 hrs volunteer, 2 years undergrad research, 20 hours of shadowing, and over 10,000 hours patient experience (I work as a nursing assistant and took care of my father). Any recommendations/ advice for me?

Hey guys,

I am currently filling out an application to this program and I'm still debating on whether or not I should do the 1 or 2 year program. I was wondering if those of you who have gotten acceptances or are in the process of applying would mind sharing your stats.

I have a 3.41 uGPA, 3.53 sGPA, Most recent MCAT is 28 (PS:11 VR:6 BS:11), 100 hrs volunteer, 2 years undergrad research, 20 hours of shadowing, and over 10,000 hours patient experience (I work as a nursing assistant and took care of my father). Any recommendations/ advice for me?
Hey! I think you should email the admissions advisors and ask their opinion and feel free to approach them regarding strengthening your app too! They were super helpful with helping revise mine and helping me choose which track would best suit my needs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I think you should email the admissions advisors and ask their opinion and feel free to approach them regarding strengthening your app too! They were super helpful with helping revise mine and helping me choose which track would best suit my needs.
Thanks for the feedback. I emailed Dr. Deborah Damon but I have yet to hear back from here. Are you in contact with anyone else who may be able to answe my questions?

Thank you! have you been accepted yet?

Congrats! See you in the fall if I can gain an acceptance!

Complete 3/30, revised resume and resubmitted that night, reviewed 3/31, accepted (1 yr) today 4/3
Amazed with the turnaround time and very excited for the opportunity. First acceptance. :soexcited:

i heard the program has gone down in acceptance? anybody know

i heard the program has gone down in acceptance? anybody know

• 93% of the Class of 2013 has been accepted into either a MD or DO school.
  • 74% of the Class of 2014 has been accepted into either a MD or DO school.

• The class of 2015 has 58 students. For Fall of 2015 we expect the one-year program to have 70-75 students and the new two-year program to have 10-14 students.
Yes - they're increasing the number of people in the class while keeping the interview spots the same ~50.

I have been accepted into the 1yr program. I am really excited to start in August. I applied during the past cycle and received 1 interview and 0 acceptances. I graduated in Dec. 2014. I am currently trying to decided whether or not to apply before or after the program. My GPA is 3.48. MCAT is 31 (10,10,11-BS). I have 3 years clinical experience working at an urgent care clinic. I volunteered with Hospice for 2+ years. My recommendation letters are pretty much the same. I received a rec letter from a physician I worked with which could be updated, however since I graduated the two rec letters from professors will be the same. I have started shadowing and Infectious Disease doctor since graduating and continued volunteering with Hospice. I wanted to get some feedback from current Med Masters students to get some feedback. Personally, my application did not adequetly reflect that my ECs have given me enough experience with a physician. I have had alot of experience shadowing/working with physicians, but did not convey that message clearly in the application. In addition, my personal state really wasn't all that great in hinesight. Also, one of my interviews did not go all that great. I really don't want to have to take a year off following the Med Masters program, but at the same time I really dont want to apply a 3rd time.

Wait, just for the sake of clarification, those interview spots are interviews for possibly being accepted into the med school and being able to start the fall directly following graduation from the program, right? Not like guaranteed interviews for the next cycle like vcu's cert program does?

I applied last week and am just waiting for one of my transcripts to get there before my application is marked compete. I really hope I get in. I really like this program.

Wait, just for the sake of clarification, those interview spots are interviews for possibly being accepted into the med school and being able to start the fall directly following graduation from the program, right? Not like guaranteed interviews for the next cycle like vcu's cert program does?
This can't be answered on SDN. You MIGHT get an answer from EVMS but probably not before you start the med masters.

If you're trying to figure out if you'll have a post-SMP gap year or not, you won't know for another year, more or less. You might wait to know well into August after completing the med masters. Best to plan to have a post-SMP gap year. If you're not a Virginia resident, best to review EVMS MD COA and be VERY concerned and be VERY motivated to apply early and broadly AFTER your SMP year, with a new maxed-out MCAT score if at all possible.

Historically, med masters interviews are part of the app year in process, so being EVMSMM class of 2016 COULD mean you're EVMSMD class of 2020. An interview is not an acceptance.

Newly accepted students should be asking for details until there's an answer in writing. Specifically:

Do one year med masters get a guaranteed interview? If so, what MD class is that interview for? If not, what determines which med masters get an interview?

Do 2 year med masters get a guaranteed interview? (same as above)

Is any future admissions consideration given to former med masters, who did not interview during the med masters year?

In general, whatever you see on Gtown's or Tufts' or Cincinnati's website is fair game to ask EVMS.

Do not assume the answers. Do NOT look at historical info for answers.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:

There were some people who were still finishing up the 1 year EVMS Medical Masters at my interview for this 2014-2015 cycle (apply 2014, matriculation in August 2015). But yeah, it'd be wise to ask.

This can't be answered on SDN. You MIGHT get an answer from EVMS but probably not before you start the med masters.

If you're trying to figure out if you'll have a post-SMP gap year or not, you won't know for another year, more or less. You might wait to know well into August after completing the med masters. Best to plan to have a post-SMP gap year. If you're not a Virginia resident, best to review EVMS MD COA and be VERY concerned and be VERY motivated to apply early and broadly AFTER your SMP year, with a new maxed-out MCAT score if at all possible.

Historically, med masters interviews are part of the app year in process, so being EVMSMM class of 2016 COULD mean you're EVMSMD class of 2020. An interview is not an acceptance.

Newly accepted students should be asking for details until there's an answer in writing. Specifically:

Do one year med masters get a guaranteed interview? If so, what MD class is that interview for? If not, what determines which med masters get an interview?

Do 2 year med masters get a guaranteed interview? (same as above)

Is any future admissions consideration given to former med masters, who did not interview during the med masters year?

In general, whatever you see on Gtown's or Tufts' or Cincinnati's website is fair game to ask EVMS.

Do not assume the answers. Do NOT look at historical info for answers.

Best of luck to you.

The advisors said that there are 50 interview spots for EVMS MM students.
They are interviews to matriculate the semester following the MM 1 year program.

Have anyone heard anything about interview spots for 2 year program?

Have anyone heard anything about interview spots for 2 year program?
I was told its 50 spots for both med masters as of right now but they asked the med school for more. The med school has the final say if they will reserve more interviews or not so they are playing it by ear for our first 2 yr program class. I'd call and verify though cuz it's very wishy washy

I was told its 50 spots for both med masters as of right now but they asked the med school for more. The med school has the final say if they will reserve more interviews or not so they are playing it by ear for our first 2 yr program class. I'd call and verify though cuz it's very wishy washy
Thank you :) I will.

So I called the medical master's program and asked about interview spots for the 2 year program. There are a couple of things I found out.

It sounds like it's 50 spots for 1 and 2 year MM combined for now, but they are working towards getting that number expanded. The medical school will determine how many spots to reserve. This past year all the med masters who applied to EVMS got an interview.

Because of the way the 2 year program is set up where in order to move on to the 2nd year you need to get Bs or better in all your classes, the staff person I spoke with believes that everyone who successfully moves on to the 2nd year of the 2 year program should get an interview.

There is support to help you get into EVMS as well as an update letter from the program director to send to the other schools you apply to. The program will also assist with future admissions if you choose to take a gap year, although the two year program is designed to sufficiently improve your application by the end of year 1. (built in volunteering/shadowing/service learning/MCAT prep throughout the year)

My interpretation of this is:
1) Get Bs or better in year 1 to move on to year 2. If you do that, you get an interview. If you don't, you won't be able to move on to year 2 anyways.
2) A gap year isn't really necessary for the 2 year program unless you want to take one for some reason.

One last thing to remember, as DrMidlife mentioned, an interview is not an acceptance.

Just got accepted to the 1 year Medical Masters program today!

Last edited:
I did a little thinking about this program, and I've decided not to complete my application here. I've looked into the program and talked to admissions people and it looks like the number of students is expanding and the number of interviews isn't.

I did a little thinking about this program, and I've decided not to complete my application here. I've looked into the program and talked to admissions people and it looks like the number of students is expanding and the number of interviews isn't.

How many people are in the program? I was accepted to Rutgers as well and am not sure where I want to go now. I'm waiting on USF as well tho. I don't care about the interview spots as EVMS doesn't have a dental school. All I want is a chance to prove myself further and keep getting good grades.

I just want to set a realistic landscape here, regardless of what admissions tells you, given the increased competition getting B's in classes is a massive risk after spending thousands of dollars on this degree. Realistically, if you want a shot at EVMS, you'll need to get at least a 3.7. There are exceptions of course, but this was the golden rule for the majority of OOS who got in directly from the master's program.

I just want to set a realistic landscape here, regardless of what admissions tells you, given the increased competition getting B's in classes is a massive risk after spending thousands of dollars on this degree. Realistically, if you want a shot at EVMS, you'll need to get at least a 3.7. There are exceptions of course, but this was the golden rule for the majority of OOS who got in directly from the master's program.

Yeah. I've given it more thought and I think I'm going to stick with Rutgers SMP as the classes are dental classes and from what I've heard from friends that are in the program is that it is doable. So I probably won't be accepting my spot so hopefully it goes to someone who needs it.

Are we awarded an actual degree that may be beneficial if getting accepted to medical school doesn't work out?

Actual degree, yes, that "masters" in "med masters" means you get an MS. Beneficial for anything other than improving chances of admission in a health professions program, no.

The 2 year program, if it includes an MPH or research, gives you some additional employability over a bachelors.

But generally if you're willing to give up on medical school, you shouldn't do an SMP.

Accepted to the one year program. Has anyone looked into living arrangements?

Quoted for truth. I also withdrew my application from consideration for this program, and I strongly recommend anyone who is considering this program to seriously consider other options available before choosing this program. Expanding the number of students without expanding the number of interviews just shows this program is more about filling their pockets than providing students the resources and opportunities to have a chance to move on.

Also, lol @ how they handle waitlisted applicants. They expect to waitlisted applicants to treat them like they are a medical school with well-fleshed out updates, when they aren't and the prospects of students in the program are dubious to say the least, especially given wishy-washy responses from their admissions team. No thanks.

I think it's important to remember that the med masters program coordinators are advocating for more seats for interviews, but that since the expansion is so new and the two year program is also they don't know how it will pan out. I do know the apprehension and I know we all want more clarity in our futures, but I want to say that the coordinators have been really open and in good communication with me at least about it. In the end, it's up to you to make your own decision whatever is right for you. I wouldn't necessarily make a decision based on SDN opinions without looking at the bigger picture including your own life circumstances, comparing programs, etc. No program will give you real guaranteed entrance unless it's a pathway program, and that's a different story. Good luck to all you guys, and I wish you success at whichever program you attend.

And to the above post- haven't really started looking in depth into housing but I know what I have found is so expensive lol I'm scared. I'm used to west coast more affordable housing options so this will be different pricing wise.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I'm definitely going to the program, and yeah I've started looking into housing options. Definitely want to find some roommates to live with so the cost isn't as bad.

Like you can get pretty nice places to live (compared to dorm living I'm used to) within walking distance to EVMS for like $500 a person if you get 3 people sharing the place.

Quoted for truth. I also withdrew my application from consideration for this program, and I strongly recommend anyone who is considering this program to seriously consider other options available before choosing this program. Expanding the number of students without expanding the number of interviews just shows this program is more about filling their pockets than providing students the resources and opportunities to have a chance to move on.

Also, lol @ how they handle waitlisted applicants. They expect to waitlisted applicants to treat them like they are a medical school with well-fleshed out updates, when they aren't and the prospects of students in the program are dubious to say the least, especially given wishy-washy responses from their admissions team. No thanks.

I was in your shoes few years ago and I also though guaranteed interview was a big deal. But in hindsight, it doesn't really mean much. They interviewed everyone in my med master class but admission people already had an idea who would be in or not based on your grades in the program. You had to do really poorly in the interviews or piss off a faculty to not gain an admission given everything else in your application was in order. If you do poorly in the program, excellent interview is not going to save you a seat in MD program. What I am saying is that EVMS will give you an interview as long as you are doing ok in the program and I wouldn't worry about not having guaranteed interview.

I was accepted into the program. I applied here and at the VCU CERT program. I have exhausted every resource that I can in terms of figuring out which program would best increase my chances to matricualte to medical school, and I have decided to go with VCUs CERT program. I will be declining my offer tonight and I hope that it goes to one of you guys! Good luck to you all!

I was accepted into the program. I applied here and at the VCU CERT program. I have exhausted every resource that I can in terms of figuring out which program would best increase my chances to matricualte to medical school, and I have decided to go with VCUs CERT program. I will be declining my offer tonight and I hope that it goes to one of you guys! Good luck to you all!

Good call. You made the right decision.