EVMS Medical Masters 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It honestly depends on how you're trying to get to med school. If you're trying to take a year off after whatever program you do, and if VCU is your top choice, then the CERT program is better. But if you're trying to start med school directly after finishing a program, you're much more likely to do so from the Med Master's program. And since I'm trying to go directly, after doing all the research, I decided EVMS would be a better fit for me, which is why I turned down CERT's offer of admission.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have my own reasons, but I would like to know why you think so.

I posted above. I'm skeptical EVMS would put me in the right place after extensive research and the mixed communication I got from the people in charge. I also am in a position where I may either be accepted to medical school (4 waitlists), several SMPs, or reapply to medical school and EVMS MMP wasn't very helpful in the decision-making process. I also detest the way they handle WLed applicants.

I posted above. I'm skeptical EVMS would put me in the right place after extensive research and the mixed communication I got from the people in charge. I also am in a position where I may either be accepted to medical school (4 waitlists), several SMPs, or reapply to medical school and EVMS MMP wasn't very helpful in the decision-making process. I also detest the way they handle WLed applicants.

I see. I don't know if location is a factor for you but there are other programs that are specifically for WLed applicants and I think they are garunteed admission to the school if you meet all of thier criteria. My biggest thing was that the program plans to increase in size and there is no word yet from adcom's on whether they will be increasing interview spots for those in the MM's program. Seems to risky at this point in time.

It honestly depends on how you're trying to get to med school. If you're trying to take a year off after whatever program you do, and if VCU is your top choice, then the CERT program is better. But if you're trying to start med school directly after finishing a program, you're much more likely to do so from the Med Master's program. And since I'm trying to go directly, after doing all the research, I decided EVMS would be a better fit for me, which is why I turned down CERT's offer of admission.

Yea, I am 27 now and at this point I have stopped caring about the time it's going to take me to get to medical school. I don't want to be a habitual applicant. VCU allows you to complete a masters degree during your "gap year" and in addition to that, I can fatten my resume over that time. I realize the amount of competition that's out there. It's not just MCAT and GPA scores anymore because there are soooo many applicants. You have to look unique on paper.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I see. I don't know if location is a factor for you but there are other programs that are specifically for WLed applicants and I think they are garunteed admission to the school if you meet all of thier criteria. My biggest thing was that the program plans to increase in size and there is no word yet from adcom's on whether they will be increasing interview spots for those in the MM's program. Seems to risky at this point in time.

Yea, I am 27 now and at this point I have stopped caring about the time it's going to take me to get to medical school. I don't want to be a habitual applicant. VCU allows you to complete a masters degree during your "gap year" and in addition to that, I can fatten my resume over that time. I realize the amount of competition that's out there. It's not just MCAT and GPA scores anymore because there are soooo many applicants. You have to look unique on paper.

Location isn't an issue for me at all. After my hellish last application cycle, I'd go to medical school in antartica if it allowed me to practice in the US and prepared me well. I just want to get in or go into a program where I can work and reasonably be able to matriculate somewhere afterwards. I get what you're saying I applied to the tulane ACP. I agree with you 100% about the size increase, it just left a bad taste in my mouth, and the adcoms at EVMS MMP weren't helpful at all in justifying it to me. It's lining their pockets at our expense =/. If I was in charge I'd directly address the class size increase as soon as I did it bc I'd know the concerns we have.

I agree 100%. I think I read somewhere that there is a new dean/ president or something and that the decision to increase the class size wasn't unanimous. Up until the past two years now the acceptance rate of MM students into MD or DO school was something like 95%. It just doesn't seem right that they would increase the class sizes without explicitly trying to match such a good acceptance rate. Oh well, not going there so I am going to stop caring. I would still like to hear from everyone who is going though and see how it works out!

I agree 100%. I think I read somewhere that there is a new dean/ president or something and that the decision to increase the class size wasn't unanimous. Up until the past two years now the acceptance rate of MM students into MD or DO school was something like 95%. It just doesn't seem right that they would increase the class sizes without explicitly trying to match such a good acceptance rate. Oh well, not going there so I am going to stop caring. I would still like to hear from everyone who is going though and see how it works out!

Likewise, good luck to you. :) I hope things go well for you.

Same to you, friend :)

there is a new dean/ president or something
Yes, since April 2012. He was previously dean of the med school at Drexel. Pop over to the Drexel website and count how many postbac/SMP/SMP-like programs they have. Like 8.
and that the decision to increase the class size wasn't unanimous.
No, but understand that filling EVMS MD seats with EVMS med masters is no longer the goal of the program, and hasn't been since they started increasing the class size 5 years ago (note: this predates Dr. Homan's arrival as dean of the school). Don't compare current EVMSMM to past EVMSMM. Compare current EVMSMM to Gtown/Drexel/Boston/Tufts/Loyola. Seriously, I don't get why this is so difficult for folks to understand.
Up until the past two years now the acceptance rate of MM students into MD or DO school was something like 95%. It just doesn't seem right that they would increase the class sizes without explicitly trying to match such a good acceptance rate.
EVMS MD gets 7000 apps now, even though OOS COA is the highest in the country. EVMS has exactly no motivation to increase MM acceptances into the EVMS MD program. Nor does Gtown, Drexel, Boston, Tufts or Loyola.

Yes, since April 2012. He was previously dean of the med school at Drexel. Pop over to the Drexel website and count how many postbac/SMP/SMP-like programs they have. Like 8.

No, but understand that filling EVMS MD seats with EVMS med masters is no longer the goal of the program, and hasn't been since they started increasing the class size 5 years ago (note: this predates Dr. Homan's arrival as dean of the school). Don't compare current EVMSMM to past EVMSMM. Compare current EVMSMM to Gtown/Drexel/Boston/Tufts/Loyola. Seriously, I don't get why this is so difficult for folks to understand.

EVMS MD gets 7000 apps now, even though OOS COA is the highest in the country. EVMS has exactly no motivation to increase MM acceptances into the EVMS MD program. Nor does Gtown, Drexel, Boston, Tufts or Loyola.

It's difficult because everything that you just said is not found on the EVMS website, nor is it disclosed in conversation with the adcom. The facts that you have stated should be addressed from the source, and not from members of SDN. I was already implying that money has to be a factor behind the changes in the program... It's not even necessary to compare schools when the bottom line is that the program no longer does what it originally set out to do, and the lack of disclosure about this is why some people can still consider this a unique program in comparison to one like Drexel.

People think EVMS MM is unique because current and former students talked about it on SDN and elsewhere.

The idea that EVMS MM was a hot ticket into EVMS MD was *never* evangelized by EVMS. Not even when 20 of 23 MM students got EVMS MD acceptances. That reputation was created and evangelized *here*. I evangelized it as hard as anybody when it was true.

Multiple EVMS MM alumni have posted throughout this thread, and the previous thread, to change the old SDN reputation to a new SDN reputation. The new reputation is EVMS = Drexel.

I'll leave this thread alone since I'm clearly not getting through.

People think EVMS MM is unique because current and former students talked about it on SDN and elsewhere.

The idea that EVMS MM was a hot ticket into EVMS MD was *never* evangelized by EVMS. Not even when 20 of 23 MM students got EVMS MD acceptances. That reputation was created and evangelized *here*. I evangelized it as hard as anybody when it was true.

Multiple EVMS MM alumni have posted throughout this thread, and the previous thread, to change the old SDN reputation to a new SDN reputation. The new reputation is EVMS = Drexel.

I'll leave this thread alone since I'm clearly not getting through.

I'm not sure what your deal is. I've gathered that you are an alumni and have successfully matriculated to medical school. Congrats. You also seem to give the most insight to the program here on these forums. The fact that I, and clearly there are others, have decided against the program should be obvious that your input has played a part. I don't feel the need to articulate the facts with blunt force like you do, but all I have tried to do was share my decision and what I have learned about this program. Your voice on this forum is not enough to reshape the image and understanding of a program that you yourself have helped "evangelize." I don't know why you're picking from my posts and trying to catch me on technicalities when I share essentially the same belief as you. But whatever, if you feel the need to monitor these threads and get mad over something you helped create, so be it.

This program can still be valuable if you understand how to use it. In the new EVMS MM, a direct transition into the medical school is still possible but it's no longer a "guarantee". But outside of Tulane ACP, Temple ACMS and the URM/disadvantaged pathway programs, how many of those really exist anymore? Look around at all the other schools which used to have stronger linkages. UCinn, RFU, and EVMS have all seen the relationships between their SMPs and med schools diminish.

I do think the program is still useful for getting you into medical school in general. You are still taking actual medical school classes with the med students. But I think it's more important than ever that people in the program plan on applying to a broad range of med schools during your application cycle (whether during or after the MM year) and not rely on EVMS only to bail you out.

Reactions: 1 users
This program can still be valuable if you understand how to use it. In the new EVMS MM, a direct transition into the medical school is still possible but it's no longer a "guarantee". But outside of Tulane ACP, Temple ACMS and the URM/disadvantaged pathway programs, how many of those really exist anymore? Look around at all the other schools which used to have stronger linkages. UCinn, RFU, and EVMS have all seen the relationships between their SMPs and med schools diminish.

I do think the program is still useful for getting you into medical school in general. You are still taking actual medical school classes with the med students. But I think it's more important than ever that people in the program plan on applying to a broad range of med schools during your application cycle (whether during or after the MM year) and not rely on EVMS only to bail you out.

That's generally what I have come to accept. With more and more applicants to medschool with such limited seats, the more SMP programs those rejected students will explore and ultimately attend. I think it's simply a matter of understanding that in any program you go into, the competition is fierce. The main goal is to utilize these programs, go above and beyond, and apply broadly afterwards. Direct links to medical school are a thing of the past.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure what your deal is. I've gathered that you are an alumni and have successfully matriculated to medical school. Congrats. You also seem to give the most insight to the program here on these forums. The fact that I, and clearly there are others, have decided against the program should be obvious that your input has played a part. I don't feel the need to articulate the facts with blunt force like you do, but all I have tried to do was share my decision and what I have learned about this program. Your voice on this forum is not enough to reshape the image and understanding of a program that you yourself have helped "evangelize." I don't know why you're picking from my posts and trying to catch me on technicalities when I share essentially the same belief as you. But whatever, if you feel the need to monitor these threads and get mad over something you helped create, so be it.

She's not getting mad at you - for someone who doesn't read the forums carefully (meaning most people), a lot of potentially dangerous misconceptions can emerge. Heck, there's at least 1 thread per week created about a Master's program that the poster *thinks* is an SMP but actually is just a fancy expensive Master's program. Most people aren't willing to do the extensive research required/necessary to take the next step forward and make the best decision about a program.

Midlife has helped me significantly because her posts are always unambiguous and to the point. Yes, she can come off as quite acerbic, but pretty much everything she says is on point.

I appreciate both of your guys' insights on EVMS.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted today and will likely attend. Also, may be looking for male roommates. PM me if anyone is in the same boat. :)

Just declined my acceptance because I was accepted to the the MD program at EVMS. Best of luck to yall

Reactions: 3 users
i've read a ton of posts about evms.. recent and old. i've come to the conclusion that this program is simply to big of a risk for an OOS student to take. they're increasing the class size and you'll end up paying 50k for the mms program and then 80k/yr for their med school if you're one of the few that get in. if they didn't have the recent changes it would be a different story and might be worth the cost.

Reactions: 2 users
For current and past student. When applying to med schools for the current cycle will the update later from the dean count towards the max number of letters of recommendation allowed for a particular school?

Hey guys,

Capitan here... Current Med Master just wanted to swing by and talk about a few things.

Firstly to answer UbiquitousMicrobes questions, your "update letter" as well as the "snap shot" letter that the program sends out will be recorded in your AMCAS so they do count toward your max number of letters. That being said they are an excellent addition to your application as they let EVMS update the other school on recent activities, grades, etc. Be warned there are some medical schools that will not accept "update" letters so make sure you check with each medical school.

Now to discuss EVMS's SMP program... Full disclosure, personally I love it. The professors, administrative staff, and the other students are all great. I have't met a single person that I've disliked. The coursework while intense is still fair and I've learned a great deal. The facilities are fantastic (there are two separate cadaver labs), Sentera (the affiliated adult hospital) is the only level one trauma center in a hundred miles, and CHKD (pediatric hospital) has some of the most cutting edge procedures in the US. On top of this EVMS is actually committed to the community as well as its students. The AAMC has ranked EVMS in the top 3 in the nation for the last 3 years in community service/outreach. The student affairs office provides free coffee and tea during finals (and we drink A LOT of coffee, at least I do).

That being said there are a few people (in the forum included) that would disagree with what's been happening. This year and last year there have been approximately 60 students in the class, this year they MIGHT accept 75 one-year SMPs. Plus ~15 two-year SMPs. As I write this I can hear some of the grumbling, please allow me to explain why this is actually a good thing.

1. There are students that figure out that medical school is not the route for them or they plan to take a year off. Just this year we a classmate decided he liked pharmacy better than medical school (this person also got into 4 pharmacy schools) and we have at least one student that isn't applying for medical school. So the original number can dwindle pretty fast (we're down to 50 or less students applying for the EVMS MD program).

2. From the medical school's point of view it allows them to select students that are a good fit for the school.
- This is important both for the school and for the other students. I don't want to go to school with someone that has a **** personality and you don't want your physician to have that kind of attitude either so I think that's fair.

3. Finally but most importantly. Not everyone in an SMP whom is applying for medical school should get in. To be frank I think any program that offers a guaranteed acceptance is doing the medical profession a disservice. If you think that you should be given something without earning it then I'm going to assume that you are an entitled little child that is out of touch with reality. And furthermore you probably don't deserve to be a doctor because your ego is too damn big.
-The purpose of an SMP is to give you an opportunity to show that you can cope with medical school and we all have our reasons that we need a program like this (family problems, career shifts, medical issues, you partied to hard in undergrad, whatever)

-Side note: The administrative staff members are some of the nicest people that I've ever met, they work hard and help you every step of the way. If you can't get along with them then you're attitude is the problem. (Looking at you LSD-25)

If anyone has any questions I'm happy to help clear things up for you.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi all, long time lurker here. Got the good news from this program last week, sent in my deposit tonight. Still on a couple MD waitlists and waiting to hear back from other SMPs out there to make my final final decision. Pretty stoked to have EVMS as an option for the next academic year!

... But hopefully I get into an MD program so one of you still on the EVMS MM wait list get my spot! :)
Hang in there folks! Best wishes!

I would like to remind everyone that EVMS will continue to accept ~35 students every year from their SMP programs, regardless of how big the SMP class gets. So if becoming an MD physician is something that is a priority, if enduring ten months of high pressure and difficult examination is your cup of tea, if spending thousands of dollars of loans at a shot at an MD is something you are willing to do, then by all means take a seat in this program (this advice is applicable to all SMP's really). EVMS used to be unique because of the exceptionally high placement security students had when they took out loans for 50k; that faith in getting an acceptance if performing above average is gone. Now if you would like to increase your chances of an acceptance, you really have to be amongst the best students.

I think some people lose the forest for the trees. If your goal is to be a physician, then I would just recommend applying broadly, including osteopathic DO schools. If you apply early enough, most students who have strong credentials for this SMP program, will usually have a good shot at osteopathic schools. Bottom line, know yourself (strengths & areas of improvement in your studying skills), your motivation for pursuing an MD, and your willingness to chase your dreams. Those who really want an MD and have the studying skills and work ethic polished before the program begins will be the ones winning this SMP marathon.

Hello all!

I will be attending the 1 yr program and am currently looking for a roommate. Since I am from CA, I am looking for a place that is preferably walkable distance to campus and is furnished. I am currently on the waitlist at Hague Club apartments, but (just in case) I will also be looking into other places as well. Please PM me if you are interested :)

Hello everyone!

Has anyone started a facebook group for the one years?

Withdrew from the program today. I hope one of you still on the waitlist receives my spot! Best of luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Hey all,

Was accepted to the 1 year program last week. It looks like I'll be attending EVMS Masters in the Fall. Now seems like a good time to find roommates! I don't know much about the surrounding area, but I think being within a 5-10 minute walk from campus is ideal. If anyone is interested, PM me. Also, I have no idea where to find the facebook group for the program, so if anyone has any info, let me know!

Hey guys,

I was just notified that I have been waitlisted for their 2 year program. I really want to get into this program and I've been so excited. Do you guys think there is anything I can do at this point to increase my chances?

Thanks!

Hey guys,

Do you guys think there is anything I can do at this point to increase my chances?

Thanks!

You could send a letter of intent detailing why you are excited about the prospect of entering the program, as well as updating them on what you've done since applying and what you are planning on doing before the classes start.

Good luck!

So I'm very interested in the 2-year program. My app has been reviewed, and I submitted the revisions that admissions recommended (is this common? that was really nice and helpful of them). I was wondering if there are any 2-year students here that could please give me some insight into their experience and answer a few questions that I have. If so, please message me. I'd love to hear about your time at EVMS.

Thanks!

Is there a certain MCAT we need to get to get an interview to EVMS med school after the SMP? Or is it more how you do in your classes.

Is there a certain MCAT we need to get to get an interview to EVMS med school after the SMP? Or is it more how you do in your classes.

Hey Letsgoblues, I'm not sure about the numbers for the newest MCAT but we had people get in with 4.0's in the Med Master's program and 27 on the old MCAT. It certainly helps to have an above average MCAT score but it's not the "be all and end all".

Hope that helps

Accepted to the 1-year program today! 3.11 cGPA and 503 MCAT. These stats are obviously not outstanding, but I think my GPA was kind of an upward trend and I had a good essay and statement. I think I'll be accepting the offer based on what I've heard from other people. Taking classes with MS1's, competitiveness, possible acceptance into EVMS itself right after the program, close knit community. What more could you ask for? I'm out-of-state though so it's quite expensive, but luckily my family can afford this for me.