EVMS Medical Masters 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

are you applying to the 1 year or 2 year program?

• 1 year

Votes: 40 65.6%
  • 2 year

Votes: 21 34.4%

• Total voters

AH1050

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd get a thread going for the upcoming 2016 cycle! Who's applying? Any Acceptances yet?

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted to the one year program! Very excited. :)

Accepted to the one year program! Very excited. :)

Congrats! I just got accepted to the 2 year program. Any idea how big the classes will be this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how big of a disadvantage I'd be at applying really late in the application cycle? I won't have an MCAT score until May.
There will be fewer seats available! I think that could be one of the biggest disadvantages.

Any previous EVMS students (either in the 1 yr. or 2yr. program) have any comments about the program? Thanks!

Just accepted! Stats 3.3/ 31. Debating between this program and Georgetown SMP

Hi guys, I'm planning on applying to this medical masters as well. I have a 3.95 sGPA ( VA Tech) and a 503 MCAT.

What's the linkage to evms med school with evms mm??
Do I need to take the MCAT again to be competitive fort evms med school??

Thank you all!!!

Hi guys, I'm planning on applying to this medical masters as well. I have a 3.95 sGPA ( VA Tech) and a 503 MCAT.

Thank you all!!!
Retake MCAT for sure. GPA is way above average. Don't need an SMP unless you specifically want to go to EVMS (and drop a couple grand while you are at it). IMO, get >510 will make you competitive for a good amount of schools.

Reactions: 1 user

Thank you all!!!

definitely retake mcat and apply to med schools straight up. spend all your time making your EC's super impressive, getting solid LORS, writing a killer personal statement, and bringing up your mcat.

This program has no guarantee. They say they'll interview about 50 of the masters students, but don't say how many will actually get in. so it's about 40% chance you interview. Then probably a 40% chance you're accepted after interview. Also, that isn't a direct acceptance as far as I read. you get put on the waitlist and basically wait for spots to open up once other non-masters acceptances decline their offer.

Just got accepted to the 2 year program! So exciting:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Retake MCAT for sure. GPA is way above average. Don't need an SMP unless you specifically want to go to EVMS (and drop a couple grand while you are at it). IMO, get >510 will make you competitive for a good amount of schools.
Thank you very much! I'm trying to decide on preparing for the MCAT while looking at some DO schools I applied this cycle

definitely retake mcat and apply to med schools straight up. spend all your time making your EC's super impressive, getting solid LORS, writing a killer personal statement, and bringing up your mcat.

This program has no guarantee. They say they'll interview about 50 of the masters students, but don't say how many will actually get in. so it's about 40% chance you interview. Then probably a 40% chance you're accepted after interview. Also, that isn't a direct acceptance as far as I read. you get put on the waitlist and basically wait for spots to open up once other non-masters acceptances decline their offer.
Thank you for the advice!! The only thing is that English is not my first language and I've already taken the MCAT 4 times and idk when's the time to stop trying to score higher.....

If you don't mind me asking what we're your stats?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Congrats! Mind posting your stats?

uGPA <3.0, gGPA 3.8 did a couple years of grade school before realizing I wanted to do medicine and choose to leave my masters program. I have slowly been retaking courses over the last couple years. My uGPA should be around 3.2 using DO grade replacement at the end of this semester. Don't know my uGPA for MD right now. Kind of surprised I got in to be honest I only applied on a whim given my past I thought MD schools and the SMP were off the table.

That's awesome to hear congrats thanks for sharing stats! how about mcat? My ugpa is around 3.3 and mcat is 32 but grad gpa is 3.0 trying to see where I stand

My application was done on Monday, they reviewed it that Wednesday and I woke up on Thursday with the acceptance email.

My MCAT was 26 (like >7 years ago with no studying), 33 (4 years ago) and this last year was 507 (the psych/socio section really hurt me). Thinking about retaking it, I will probably call EVMS and ask their opinion next week.

Does anyone know what day of the week the committee meets to decide on applicants?
I was told I would be considered at the next meeting. uGPA 3.7, MCAT 507.

Hi everyone!
I am in the process of completing the application and my personal statement is 557 words instead of the max 500. Do you guys think this will hurt my chances? Should I just cut stuff out? (which I have been doing but soon I will not have a coherent essay if I continue to cut stuff out in my opinion.)

Hi everyone!
I am in the process of completing the application and my personal statement is 557 words instead of the max 500. Do you guys think this will hurt my chances? Should I just cut stuff out? (which I have been doing but soon I will not have a coherent essay if I continue to cut stuff out in my opinion.)

I'm not sure where the 500 word limit came from. I never saw that when applying. Mine was 660. The only thing I saw was a 1 page limit, but I could be wrong.

I'm not sure where the 500 word limit came from. I never saw that when applying. Mine was 660. The only thing I saw was a 1 page limit, but I could be wrong.
The application has an option for you to upload your essay or type it into a box provided. Right above both options it says 500 words max but the EVMS app guide manual says 1 page.
By the way, did you double space or single space your essay?

The application has an option for you to upload your essay or type it into a box provided. Right above both options it says 500 words max but the EVMS app guide manual says 1 page.
By the way, did you double space or single space your essay?

Ah, I never even saw that. Mine was single spaced submitted as a word document.

Accepted into the 2 year program today.

If anyone is interested in living together, PM me. Trying to figure out housing!

Is it too late to apply? I was reading through the website and i noticed the class size is really small: 66 for 1 year and 18 for 2 year, and I'm only eligible for the 2 year option. Should I still apply?

I just got most of my stuff in today just waiting on transcripts to be sent over so I hope there's still room!

withdrew my acceptance. good luck to all those applying and congrats to all those accepted!

Accepted today. cGPA 3.72, MCAT 507.
Feels nice to have a home after a long MD cycle with 3 wait lists.

Current Med Master here (one year program). Surprised I didn't stumble upon this thread sooner. If anyone has any questions about the program or whatever I'm happy to try and answer them.

Just got accepted to 1 year program today. cGPA 3.27 / sGPA 3.19 / MCAT 34

Current Med Master here (one year program). Surprised I didn't stumble upon this thread sooner. If anyone has any questions about the program or whatever I'm happy to try and answer them.

How do you like the program? Any regrets?

Also is true that if you apply to EVMS the same year (as in summer prior to starting program) that they withhold their answer until after the program?

Just got accepted to 1 year program today. cGPA 3.27 / sGPA 3.19 / MCAT 34

How do you like the program? Any regrets?

Also is true that if you apply to EVMS the same year (as in summer prior to starting program) that they withhold their answer until after the program?

Dude, you could literally be my stats twin, just FYI.

I mean for me, the program has been super hard, but then again, it's been hard for everyone, since that's kind of the whole point of the program. The faculty and the administrators are super nice, and honestly in terms of the med masters students, it's like a big family, and not cut throat at all.

Yes they do with hold their decision until after graduation, which sucks in terms of turning us into neurotic nutcases, but at the same time I get where they're coming from. This way they make sure we don't just start slacking off at the end, and finish strong. Most people apply to other schools as well during the cycle though, so like we currently have a bunch of people who have gotten into other MD programs, and others who have already been accepted to DO programs, and then there are people like me who are waitlisted other places.

Dude, you could literally be my stats twin, just FYI.

I mean for me, the program has been super hard, but then again, it's been hard for everyone, since that's kind of the whole point of the program. The faculty and the administrators are super nice, and honestly in terms of the med masters students, it's like a big family, and not cut throat at all.

Yes they do with hold their decision until after graduation, which sucks in terms of turning us into neurotic nutcases, but at the same time I get where they're coming from. This way they make sure we don't just start slacking off at the end, and finish strong. Most people apply to other schools as well during the cycle though, so like we currently have a bunch of people who have gotten into other MD programs, and others who have already been accepted to DO programs, and then there are people like me who are waitlisted other places.

Appreciate the info! Best of luck getting off those waitlists

Hello everyone,

I have been accepted to the 1 year program as well and I'm currently looking for housing. Please let me know if you anyone wants to find a room together somewhere near EVMS or anything cheaper!! :):)

graduating evms m4 here - i recommend cavalier land properties if you're in the 2 year program. good maintenance and not sketchy. in particular the aberdeen is 1 block from school and a whole lot of med students & residents live here. which means there are a lot of openings coming over the next couple months because graduation.

if you're in the 1 year look for month-to-month such as renting a room so you don't have to keep paying a year lease after may while you wait out your fate.

if you don't want to drive to school the neighborhood you want to be in is ghent or west ghent. south of 21st, west of llewelyn, north of brambleton (freemason is fine). a lot of people do hague towers or pembroke towers.

norfolk is about 1 inch above sea level. it floods. pay attention to where you can park, particularly in west ghent. most parking is street parking. it also snows. there are cockroaches and other tropical bugs so ask about whether your landlord does pest control.

if you're aggressive you can find a single around $800

best of luck y'all

graduating evms m4 here - i recommend cavalier land properties if you're in the 2 year program. good maintenance and not sketchy. in particular the aberdeen is 1 block from school and a whole lot of med students & residents live here. which means there are a lot of openings coming over the next couple months because graduation.

if you're in the 1 year look for month-to-month such as renting a room so you don't have to keep paying a year lease after may while you wait out your fate.

if you don't want to drive to school the neighborhood you want to be in is ghent or west ghent. south of 21st, west of llewelyn, north of brambleton (freemason is fine). a lot of people do hague towers or pembroke towers.

norfolk is about 1 inch above sea level. it floods. pay attention to where you can park, particularly in west ghent. most parking is street parking. it also snows. there are cockroaches and other tropical bugs so ask about whether your landlord does pest control.

if you're aggressive you can find a single around $800

best of luck y'all
Thank you for your recommendations Dr.Midlife, do you think it would be ideal to live single or have a roommate to discuss about classes and exams since you will be taking the same classes?

you'll want to find people you like studying with and study with them all the time. but i don't recommend prioritizing that in a roommate over things that make people good to
live with.

Did any of ya'll get an email with ways to improve your application without necessarily asking for it? Does that like happen to everyone or almost everyone? I 100% appreciate it, but it also makes me feel like my application must be really weak. On the other hand, why offer help to improve an application unless they think it's worth looking at, right?

Also my resume is 2 pages long and it was implied that I use more space since we can submit up to 4 pages. I really don't have anything more relevant to say. How long were your resumes?

I'm a current med master and don't panic! I got the same exact email so I just fixed my app according to their recommendations. So it's safe to say it's more of a good sign than a bad one! I think my resume was 2 pages, but if you feel like what you have right now is good, I would keep it that way but definitely follow their advice :)

Just got my acceptance today!! It's still conditional until I receive an updated letter of recommendation but still excited to have gotten in!

I just got accepted today. I have a 3.57 GPA in Chemical Engineering and a 506 MCAT.

Did any of ya'll get an email with ways to improve your application without necessarily asking for it? Does that like happen to everyone or almost everyone? I 100% appreciate it, but it also makes me feel like my application must be really weak. On the other hand, why offer help to improve an application unless they think it's worth looking at, right?

Also my resume is 2 pages long and it was implied that I use more space since we can submit up to 4 pages. I really don't have anything more relevant to say. How long were your resumes?
I got the same email and I just got in today.

Hey guys, I just got accepted into the one year program. (3.57 GPA in Chemical Engineering & 506 MCAT) Is there anyone in the program right now that could shoot me a message? I would appreciate it. I just have some questions I would like to have answered. Also, if anyone else has been accepted into the program, please shoot me a message.
Thanks.

Hey guys, I just got accepted into the one year program. (3.57 GPA in Chemical Engineering & 506 MCAT) Is there anyone in the program right now that could shoot me a message? I would appreciate it. I just have some questions I would like to have answered. Also, if anyone else has been accepted into the program, please shoot me a message.
Thanks.

I'm a current med master. Shoot me a message! :)