Ex-slacker/ex-loser to premed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thirdunity

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else?

The deal is... everyone's telling me that as a nontraditional, I should mention my work and life experience.

I'm 31. Up until returning to school a few years ago, though, I was a complete utter immature slacker who didn't hold jobs in my field for very long and thought the world owed me a living... if I make it a year as a phlebotomist (which I see no reason why it should be otherwise), it'll be the longest job I've had since I was 20.

Members don't see this ad.

thirdunity said:
Anyone else?

The deal is... everyone's telling me that as a nontraditional, I should mention my work and life experience.

I'm 31. Up until returning to school a few years ago, though, I was a complete utter immature slacker who didn't hold jobs in my field for very long and thought the world owed me a living... if I make it a year as a phlebotomist (which I see no reason why it should be otherwise), it'll be the longest job I've had since I was 20.

It's all about spin. Surely you've had some positive experiences to date which have shaped you into who you are today.

Well, med school adcoms have already told me that they view the JD as flighty....since I just got the JD and didn't practice law they said I'd be viewed as "flighty" and a "professional student," also implying that I'm a slacker.....so I guess I am kinda in the same boat.

I agree, it is all about spin. Holding many different jobs could be used to really choose the field you are most happy with, even if you had many jobs within a given field you could still say you were trying to find the one that offered the most leadership, chance for advancement, knowledge, action....whatever.

Returning to school for more than a semester and also performing better than you did in the past are good indicators that you are more focused now than you used to be. You will just need to show that you are dedicated to the field of medicine and being a doctor. I don't think you need to include every job you've held, just the most pertinent ones. I don't think you should worry just yet.

Really, so much of this is about numbers that you need to focus on getting the best grades you can, particularly if your academic career is somewhat checkered. :) I think that alone would show your maturity and shifted priorities.