Exact time one has to withdrew from all but one school on April 30th? 5pm? or 11:59pm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's great! :)

That's what I mean: you can figure out what financial aid package would be enough to allow you to choose a school and if you end up getting an aid package last minute you will know if it meets your requirement. That's what I did and it seems like that's what you did, so we had our decisions made in advance.

True. Once you narrow it down to a couple and understand the aid you just have to pull the trigger. It helps knowing that when you press that withdraw button you're making someone else's day.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
No, probably not fair, but it was the tone that I think some people heard. Communication via pure text leads to misunderstandings of this sort.

And, agree with you entirely that people are entitled to the time granted to them to make their decisions.

I still think that it is unwise to take every last minute, but some people like living on the edge. To each their own.
Thanks for the understanding.
I agree it's unwise to take every last minute. I don't think anyone is really aiming for 11:59pm for real. It wasn't an encouragement for anyone to do that neither. I asked for a hypothetical scenario because I want to understand the technicality.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree it's unwise to take every last minute. I don't think anyone is really aiming for 11:59pm for real. I asked for a hypothetical scenario because I want to understand the technicality.

I respect that. It is why I keep hanging around the thread. I'm hoping someone will swoop in with a definitive (officially sourced) answer, though I think that the reason it hasn't happened is that there probably isn't one.

I love understanding how things work, in their particulars. I think that kind of curiosity bodes well for people who are going to have to acquire fluency in the minutia of human biology over the next couple of years.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are waiting until the last minute to make a decision you are welcoming any and all adverse consequences that may result.
I disagree. If the rule is being followed, even if it's last minute, I don't think people deserve any adverse consequence.

The only reasonable excuse I can imagine is someone accepted by a school within the last few days.
What can I say, be more imaginative. People's lives are diverse, so are their circumstances. Honestly I never thought something would come into play for my friends and I thought their decision was a piece of cake until I listened.

I agree that waiting until the last minute is just hysteria and results in an emotional rather than rational decision. Anyone truly waiting until the last minute is gunna have a bad time.

Not all the pre-med's problem can be reduce to the formula that they are just neurotic pansies which seems to be your response lately.

I agree it's unwise to take every last minute. I don't think anyone is really aiming for 11:59pm for real. It wasn't an encouragement for anyone to do that neither. I asked for a hypothetical scenario because I want to understand the technicality.

I'd like to apologize if I came off as rude; I was trying to be facetious/gently teasing in my comments but I can see how that may have been lost between the combination of a language barrier and the nature of text. I wish you had clarified that you were speaking hypothetically sooner; it sounded initially as if you were talking about actual people who may have waited (or were planning on waiting) until the very last minute.

It looks like others have chimed in and confirmed the suggestion that one should contact the schools in question to ask their specific policies, and to request extensions if you are waiting on FA packages. As is often the case, the rules in this instance are not clearly defined and we must rely on our judgment to make good decisions and our communication skills to advocate for our needs.

I'd like to apologize if I came off as rude; I was trying to be facetious/gently teasing in my comments but I can see how that may have been lost between the combination of a language barrier and the nature of text. I wish you had clarified that you were speaking hypothetically sooner; it sounded initially as if you were talking about actual people who may have waited (or were planning on waiting) until the very last minute.

It looks like others have chimed in and confirmed the suggestion that one should contact the schools in question to ask their specific policies, and to request extensions if you are waiting on FA packages. As is often the case, the rules in this instance are not clearly defined and we must rely on our judgment to make good decisions and our communication skills to advocate for our needs.
You are totally fine. SDN would be so boring without some teasing here and there. I should really put a large "HYPOTHETICAL INQUIRY" on the headline so that people don't get confused.

But really the hinderance to early WL movement is not the people who have narrowed it down to 2 schools and have real issues and who are still pending school's responses. There are people who never thought too much about deciding and were holding onto a tons of acceptances for no reasons until the last few days. Those are the people who can use a polite reminder. I'm all about that.

It looks like gyngyn have said anytime before midnight is technically okay.

I used to have 1 II and 1WL in the cycle 4 years ago, and never came off it. It was terrible to be in that state. Best of luck getting off soon!

You are totally fine. SDN would be so boring without some teasing here and there. I should really put a large "HYPOTHETICAL INQUIRY" on the headline so that people don't get confused.

But really the hinderance to early WL movement is not the people who have narrowed it down to 2 schools and have real issues and who are still pending school's responses. There are people who never thought too much about deciding and were holding onto a tons of acceptances for no reasons until the last few days. Those are the people who can use a polite reminder. I'm all about that.

It looks like gyngyn have said anytime before midnight is technically okay.

I used to have 1 II and 1WL in the cycle 4 years ago, and never came off it. It was terrible to be in that state. Best of luck getting off soon!

I had 3 IIs and 3 WL last year so I too can sympathize with those in that position. This last time around worked out much better for me.

I had 3 IIs and 3 WL last year so I too can sympathize with those in that position. This last time around worked out much better for me.
Tell me about it, this process is so hard. For everyone. 1/90th of our lives kind of just "wasted" on this tedious and torturous process.

EDITed away the part where I felt like that I sound like a drama queen.

Some schools reserve the right to drop you from their class if you hold multiple acceptances come tomorrow. Idk how the schools verify if you are holding multiple acceptances, but I wouldn't want to risk some sort of lag between you notifying a school you are dropping them and the other schools confirming you did drop. I dropped mine a few weeks ago for this reason. At this point nothing should be holding you up between this morning and tonight except pending financial aid. Id say if you havent gotten it by today its not coming.

Anyone know how schools verify that you did indeed drop your multiple acceptances?

Some schools reserve the right to drop you from their class if you hold multiple acceptances come tomorrow. Idk how the schools verify if you are holding multiple acceptances, but I wouldn't want to risk some sort of lag between you notifying a school you are dropping them and the other schools confirming you did drop. I dropped mine a few weeks ago for this reason. At this point nothing should be holding you up between this morning and tonight except pending financial aid. Id say if you havent gotten it by today its not coming.

Anyone know how schools verify that you did indeed drop your multiple acceptances?

There is some kind of database on the interwebs where schools who have offered you admission can see your other acceptances.

My guesses is that once you withdrew from a school, they'll have to upload that withdrew decision onto AAMC manually. Other schools wait for a little while for AAMC to update the system and then the schools can then verify based on the updated multiple acceptances report.

I hear they communicate exclusively by owl to ensure confidentiality, it can take a little while so if you haven't committed already just take the week off and then start drafting your PS for AMCAS 2016.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was waiting for last minute bc any kind of financial aid would've thrown me in a completely different direction. Two schools sent me no package so I just withdrew. Perhaps I should've called to make sure, but I feel if they were going to give me anything sweet I would know by now. Honestly anyone crying about people "hogging" acceptances by not withdrawing should've worked harder and gotten accepted in the first place.

I was waiting for last minute bc any kind of financial aid would've thrown me in a completely different direction. Two schools sent me no package so I just withdrew. Perhaps I should've called to make sure, but I feel if they were going to give me anything sweet I would know by now. Honestly anyone crying about people "hogging" acceptances by not withdrawing should've worked harder and gotten accepted in the first place.
I was with you until the last line (schools that don't give you financial aid when you have to decide are downright nasty bc it prevents you from being given all the info to make a proper decision), as for that:
Congratulations on posting one of the most myopic and absurdly biased opinions I've seen in a while. This isn't an ideal meritocracy, it isn't equal opportunity. working harder doesn't magically solve every single problem people have and guarantee success, there are plenty of extremely talented candidates on every level who slip through the cracks because this process is so damn competitive.

Reactions: 8 users

There are plenty of people with multiple acceptances who made a decision long before the deadline and think it's silly to wait until the last minute.

Your post is pretentious. Also, you're a clown.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Did you not even read @Promethean's excellent words of wisdom from earlier in this thread?
Medical school admissions isn't a pure objective meritocracy. There is some luck and uncontrollable circumstance involved. People with multiple acceptances are not necessarily more deserving than people on one or more waitlists. There are many factors at play.

With so many people whose dreams are dangling just out of their reach having to sit by while others debate which ones to discard, a little sensitivity in wording is necessary to avoid provoking emotionally charged responses.
I agree with the 2 peeps who responded before me. Your post is absurd and pretentious.

I was with you until the last line (schools that don't give you financial aid when you have to decide are downright nasty bc it prevents you from being given all the info to make a proper decision), as for that:
Congratulations on posting one of the most myopic and absurdly biased opinions I've seen in a while. This isn't an ideal meritocracy, it isn't equal opportunity. working harder doesn't magically solve every single problem people have and guarantee success, there are plenty of extremely talented candidates on every level who slip through the cracks because this process is so damn competitive.

really? You think it's by chance OP was accepted to several top programs? Or that statistics show a trend in GPA/MCAT vs acceptances? Perhaps it's the 3.9+ GPA and 39 mcat? Or you think she didn't work hard for that? If you aren't accepted to med school you didn't slip through the cracks you didn't work hard enough. You either didn't work hard enough for gpa, mcat, didn't work hard enough at applying yourself at EC's, didn't work hard enough to impress letter writers, or didn't interview well. You are making excuses.

There are plenty of people with multiple acceptances who made a decision long before the deadline who still think it's silly to wait until the last minute.

Your post is pretentious. Also, you're a clown.

Who cares what plenty of people do. If you're waiting to hear about financial aid that will change everything it would be stupid to withdraw an acceptance before you have to.

really? You think it's by chance OP was accepted to several top programs? Or that statistics show a trend in GPA/MCAT vs acceptances? Perhaps it's the 3.9+ GPA and 39 mcat? Or you think she didn't work hard for that? If you aren't accepted to med school you didn't slip through the cracks you didn't work hard enough. You either didn't work hard enough for gpa, mcat, didn't work hard enough at applying yourself at EC's, didn't work hard enough to impress letter writers, or didn't interview well. You are making excuses.

Who cares what plenty of people do. If you're waiting to hear about financial aid that will change everything it would be stupid to withdraw an acceptance before you have to.

I'm not making excuses in the slightest. Look at your own cycle, there's almost definitely places you didn't get into regardless of your hard work. "Getting good" as they would say in the gaming world isn't always the answer because the world doesn't work that way all the time. I know I can improve my application in multiple ways but that doesn't change what I'm saying.

edit: Look up the "Just world" hypothesis. People who work hard and do good aren't always rewarded and successful.

You're missing the point. Maybe you should take a deep breath and think before posting emotionally-charged posts.

I never said anything about deciding before financial aid is given. I previously posted about making a decision between school while keeping in mind what financial aid package from each school would make you decide on a school. Thus, if you got a financial aid package last minute like @Mopitt16 you have a decision made in advance.

Reactions: 2 users

You're missing the point. Maybe you should take a deep breath and think before posting emotionally-charged posts.

I never said anything about deciding before financial aid is given. I previously posted about making a decision between school while keeping in mind what financial aid package from each school would make you decide on a school. Thus, if you got a financial aid package last minute like @Mopitt16 you have a decision made in advance.

I'm not making excuses in the slightest. Look at your own cycle, there's almost definitely places you didn't get into regardless of your hard work. "Getting good" as they would say in the gaming world isn't always the answer because the world doesn't work that way all the time. I know I can improve my application in multiple ways but that doesn't change what I say.
What you say only works if you are singling out 1 school. Yes there are many schools I didn't get accepted to, but I was smart and worked hard and researched the system and developed a plan and applied broadly to get accepted. If someone fails to get accepted they can blame it on crap luck if it helps them feel better, but it is not by luck/chance that those who work harder and prepare a better application are accepted, such as OP who has amazing stats.

you responded to my post when I said I was waiting for financial aid ... "There are plenty of people with multiple acceptances who made a decision long before the deadline and think it's silly to wait until the last minute." So it seems you are missing the point.

What you say only works if you are singling out 1 school. Yes there are many schools I didn't get accepted to, but I was smart and worked hard and researched the system and developed a plan and applied broadly to get accepted. If someone fails to get accepted they can blame it on crap luck if it helps them feel better, but it is not by luck/chance that those who work harder and prepare a better application are accepted, such as OP who has amazing stats.

This thread isn't even about OP.

@amad01, as much as I agree that generally hard work=better results. I also agree that in general the admission is a meritocratic process as it should be but it's seriously flawed and the solutions to fix the problem is very limited. So many other factors go into achieving application success. One can fail due to myriad of reasons that are out of one's control:
1. did not have good guidance, poor advice.
2. did not have enough money to apply to enough schools.
3. health problem
4. due to social economical restrictions lacking exposure to the right kind of behavior and traits that would make them more easily convince the interviewers (who are mostly upper middle class backgroud).
n....

Interviews are traditionally not a reliable indicator. People who are waitlisted are not less deserving or worse candidates. Some people can be lucky as to have an easier time to win over people's heart within a short amount of time, others are not so lucky. But it didn't mean that they'll make worse doctors. Here is the proof that "interviews are cesspools". :)

Reactions: 5 users

I think your underlying point is fair in that you think people who get into great schools shouldn't be ashamed and should weigh their options carefully, but there is no need to be inflammatory about those who encounter trouble. Med school admission is not the end-all in life, and there is much more to enjoy outside of it.

you responded to my post when I said I was waiting for financial aid ... "There are plenty of people with multiple acceptances who made a decision long before the deadline and think it's silly to wait until the last minute." So it seems you are missing the point.

I was actually responding to this pretentious part: "Honestly anyone crying about people "hogging" acceptances by not withdrawing should've worked harder and gotten accepted in the first place."

The financial aid part wasn't pretentious.

imagine you're at an interview next year for med school and the interviewer says, "so why didn't you get into medical school last year?" And you respond, "I slipped through the cracks. I was just as good as most people who were accepted and luck just didn't go my way. It is an unfair system with so many factors that great applicants like me get overlooked.".... you're probably getting rejected again.

Or perhaps gpa/mcat/volunteering/LOR's/clinical exposure/interviewing skills/shadowing experiences/hobbies weren't as strong as they could've been. There just comes a point where you realize you aren't entitled to anything. I guess some choose to blame luck, where I blame myself for not working hard enough to get into some of the schools I was rejected/WL at. I sure know I would've had much more success had I scored higher on the mcat. Did I work my ass off? Yes.. could I have worked harder? Yes, I think everyone could work harder.

imagine you're at an interview next year for med school and the interviewer says, "so why didn't you get into medical school last year?" And you respond, "I slipped through the cracks. I was just as good as most people who were accepted and luck just didn't go my way. It is an unfair system with so many factors that great applicants like me get overlooked.".... you're probably getting rejected again.

Or perhaps gpa/mcat/volunteering/LOR's/clinical exposure/interviewing skills/shadowing experiences/hobbies weren't as strong as they could've been. There just comes a point where you realize you aren't entitled to anything. I guess some choose to blame luck, where I blame myself for not working hard enough to get into some of the schools I was rejected/WL at. I sure know I would've had much more success had I scored higher on the mcat. Did I work my ass off? Yes.. could I have worked harder? Yes, I think everyone could work harder.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you're not underprivileged.

Reactions: 4 users
Look up the "Just world" hypothesis. People who work hard and do good aren't always rewarded and successful.
Excellent idea! From Wikipedia:

Violence
Researchers have looked at how observers react to victims of rape and other violence. In a formative experiment on rape and belief in a just world by Linda Carli and colleagues, researchers gave two groups of subjects a narrative about interactions between a man and a woman. The description of the interaction was the same until the end; one group received a narrative that had a neutral ending and the other group received a narrative that ended with the man raping the woman. Subjects judged the rape ending as inevitable and blamed the woman in the narrative for the rape on the basis of her behavior.

Illness

Other researchers have found that observers judge sick people as responsible for their illnesses. One experiment showed that persons suffering from a variety of illnesses were derogated on a measure of attractiveness more than healthy individuals were. In comparison to healthy people, victim derogation was found for persons presenting with indigestion, pneumonia, and stomach cancer. Moreover, derogation was found to be higher for those suffering from severer illnesses, except for those presenting with cancer. Stronger belief in a just world has also been found to correlate with greater derogation of AIDS victims.

Poverty
More recently, researchers have explored how people react to poverty through the lens of the just-world hypothesis. Strong belief in a just world is associated with blaming the poor, with weak belief in a just world associated with identifying external causes of poverty including world economic systems, war, and exploitation.

TL;DR version: Basically you're a horrible person for believing in the just world fallacy, as the bolded sentences above demonstrate. Especially the blaming patients for becoming sick. Just wanted to share for everyone's reference.

Just a friendly reminder to be nice. It's a stressful time for many people involved in the process, but we don't need to be lashing out at each other. :)
Quoted for continuing relevance.

Reactions: 14 users
Excellent idea! From Wikipedia:

Violence
Researchers have looked at how observers react to victims of rape and other violence. In a formative experiment on rape and belief in a just world by Linda Carli and colleagues, researchers gave two groups of subjects a narrative about interactions between a man and a woman. The description of the interaction was the same until the end; one group received a narrative that had a neutral ending and the other group received a narrative that ended with the man raping the woman. Subjects judged the rape ending as inevitable and blamed the woman in the narrative for the rape on the basis of her behavior.

Illness

Other researchers have found that observers judge sick people as responsible for their illnesses. One experiment showed that persons suffering from a variety of illnesses were derogated on a measure of attractiveness more than healthy individuals were. In comparison to healthy people, victim derogation was found for persons presenting with indigestion, pneumonia, and stomach cancer. Moreover, derogation was found to be higher for those suffering from severer illnesses, except for those presenting with cancer. Stronger belief in a just world has also been found to correlate with greater derogation of AIDS victims.

Poverty
More recently, researchers have explored how people react to poverty through the lens of the just-world hypothesis. Strong belief in a just world is associated with blaming the poor, with weak belief in a just world associated with identifying external causes of poverty including world economic systems, war, and exploitation.

TL;DR version: Basically you're a horrible person for believing in the just world fallacy, as the bolded sentences above demonstrate. Especially the blaming patients for becoming sick. Just wanted to share for everyone's reference.

Quoted for truth. I'd say more, but you've got this on lock. Awesome post :).

Are you really trying to bust out AA now

Nope. Just noting your pretentious posts and comments along the lines of "people should work harder" are pretty removed from reality for many people. Thus, I'm guessing you are not underprivileged.

Should I bust open a pickle jar instead?

Dear dancing pickle, you definitely have earned your success. Really, congratulations on your cycle.

However, i hope it doesn't come as a shocker to you that it can be very hard to even "work hard" for some people. That itself can be a privilege. I have a black female college who had so much on her plate, finance, family and domestic violence issue, she could only try to study for MCAT out of the 6hrs of her time, sacrificing sleep. She couldn't bring her grades above 25 and eventually had to give up on a US MD. She's one of the kindest, hardest working person I know who could have make an amazing physician.

The point being, not all failures are deserved (just like not all success are deserved). People definitely should turn attention away from luck to work on things that they can have a control of. but sometimes, the society, the rule of the game just aren't in their favor.

ain't worth it... if you want to blame bad luck for short comings then all power to you! :luck: Yes there's a billion factors in the admissions process, but bad luck is a poor excuse.

Nope. Just noting your pretentious posts and comments along the lines of "people should work harder" are pretty removed from reality for many people. Thus, I'm guessing you are not underprivileged.

Should I bust open a pickle jar instead?
removed from reality to study harder? Do you suggest people work less hard and continue to blame luck and others for shortcomings? How is that productive at all?

ain't worth it... if you want to blame bad luck for short comings then all power to you! :luck: Yes there's a billion factors in the admissions process, but bad luck is a poor excuse.
You wanna try applying to med school while being a victim of domestic abuse plus a million other uncontrollable factors? Your insensitivity is beyond appalling.

removed from reality to study harder? Do you suggest people work less hard and continue to blame luck and others for shortcomings? How is that productive at all?

Wow man, have you always lived in a cocoon (or pickle jar?) where you have no idea what others' realities are? Stop clowning.

Oh. I see. You seem to be suffering from the Just-World Fallacy.
http://youarenotsosmart.com/2010/06/07/the-just-world-fallacy/

Dear dancing pickle, you definitely have earned your success. Really, congratulations on your cycle.

However, i hope it doesn't come as a shocker to you that it can be very hard to even "work hard" for some people. That itself can be a privilege. I have a black female college who had so much on her plate, finance, family and domestic violence issue, she could only try to study for MCAT out of the 6hrs of her time, sacrificing sleep. She couldn't bring her grades above 25 and eventually had to give up on a US MD. She's one of the kindest, hardest working person I know who could have make an amazing physician.

The point being, not all failures are deserved (just like not all success are deserved). People definitely should turn attention away from luck to work on things that they can have a control of. but sometimes, the society, the rule of the game just aren't in their favor.

Does the admissions process not take this into consideration? What are those graphs with blacks/hispanics accepted with gpa/mcat far lower than others? Why are they asking me every other question about my family income, upbringing, socioeconomic status, high school ethnicity stats, household size, not to mention the 500 hardship essays you write? I agree there are many factors that can put many at disadvantage but blaming bad luck isn't going to help. Would you argue that there are people who no matter how hard they work they could never gain acceptance? The only thing I can think of is certain health conditions.

Without breaking open the AA cycle, my point is blaming luck and thrashing out at those who are successful is much less productive than taking responsibility for possible shortcomings and making changes in your own app and working harder to improve.

No I am a dancing pickle clown because I believe in taking responsibility for failure rather than blaming bad luck!

It's not blaming bad luck. Like you said, there's so many factors that go into getting accepted to medical school; saying "Welp, you should have worked harder!" to someone who is only waitlisted anywhere is absurd and, as you were told multiple times before, pretentious.

Wow man, have you always lived in a cocoon (or pickle jar?) where you have no idea what others' realities are? Stop clowning.
Can you explain to me how blaming bad luck for the realities of life is productive?

It's not blaming bad luck. Like you said, there's so many factors that go into getting accepted to medical school; saying "Welp, you should have worked harder!" to someone who is only waitlisted anywhere is absurd and, as you were told multiple times before, pretentious.
But then who is responsible for failing to gain acceptance? Is there absolutely nothing that could have been done differently by the individual that would've changed the outcome? I personally wish I would've worked harder, then maybe I would've been accepted at more of my top choice schools. But I certainly don't blame bad luck/chance or uncontrollable factors...

im sorry. i am really in this dilemma. what happens if we do not withdraw from all other schools today? besides losing deposit? are we binded?

I was trying to read the thread but you guys were doing the most. I just need a simple answer