Exam Volume

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KarmaIsTruth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How often do/did you have an exam at your medical school?

Every week? Once per month?

I'm referring to 1st and 2nd year, of course.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
At VCOM we averaged probably just over 2 exams a week. Rarely did we go a week without a single exam, but often had weeks with 3 or more. Each test was generally 40-70 questions and was testing in a specific course. The general rule was 5 questions per lecture hour, so some tests were shorter if we had fewer lectures, others came close to 100 questions (i.e. Pathology, Anatomy).

Every 3 to 5 weeks with 150-200 questions. Each block was a different body system.

systems based ~100-160 written questions every 3-5 weeks with an additional ~50 question anatomy practical.
Mid semester and end of semester OMM written exams ~50 questions
Mid Semester and end of semester Clinical Skills and OMM practicals (easy peasy)

COMP was every 3 weeks or so (sometimes every 1 or 2 weeks) and anywhere from 50-120ish questions each, depending on the number of lectures covered. Exceptions were towards the end of each semester where we would have a systems exam, Clinical Medicine written, OPP written, OSCE, and OMM practical all in short succession.

We had exams weekly-- or more than weekly-- early in first year when we were taking anatomy, histology and embryology.

Once PBL (basic sciences all mixed together) really gets going, we have three exams per semester, covering about 700 pages of material. They were spaced about 5-6 weeks apart second semester first year, and I'm not sure of the schedule for second year yet. That's in addition to OPP exams (3/semester), H&P exams (variable), a few random things like human sexuality and healthcare management, and practical quizzes in H&P and OMM.

COMP was every 3 weeks or so (sometimes every 1 or 2 weeks) and anywhere from 50-120ish questions each, depending on the number of lectures covered. Exceptions were towards the end of each semester where we would have a systems exam, Clinical Medicine written, OPP written, OSCE, and OMM practical all in short succession.

I agree with this except that we have had exams that were 140-150qs long. I'm definitely looking forward to the 50-question exams :)

systems based ~100-160 written questions every 3-5 weeks with an additional ~50 question anatomy practical.
Mid semester and end of semester OMM written exams ~50 questions
Mid Semester and end of semester Clinical Skills and OMM practicals (easy peasy)

Our school takes OMM very seriously. The written final was the hardest exam we had during first year. Most of the questions were 3rd and 4th order.

Reactions: 1 user
Our school takes OMM very seriously. The written final was the hardest exam we had during first year. Most of the questions were 3rd and 4th order.
sounds like a blast... our averages were consistently high, with about a days worth of studying you can get upwards of 90%

Reactions: 1 user
What's a 4th order OMM question?

Asking something like "how would the patient contract against your force if you are treating right anterior innominate rotation using ME?". So, you would first need to know what is the dysfunction. Second, you would need to know the treatment. Then, you need to know the set up for it and how you apply your forces directly toward the position of discomfort. Knowing this, now you can figure out how the patient would apply an equal but opposite force against your forces.

Last edited:
sounds like a blast... our averages were consistently high, with about a days worth of studying you can get upwards of 90%

There's absolutely no way in hell that you would pass our OMM written with only one day of preparation. All of my friends and I don't study OMM until the week before the exam. Then we cram everything.

Asking something like "how would the patient contract against your force if you are treating right anterior innominate rotation using ME?". So, you would first need to know what is the dysfunction. Second, you would need to know the treatment. Then, you need to know the set up for it and how you apply your forces directly toward the position of discomfort. Knowing this, now you can figure out how the patient would apply an equal but opposite force against your forces.

Our recent exams/quizzes have been like this. I would still say it's a 2nd order question. The dysfunction is given to you.

Rule out anything that is a MFR/HVLA technique. You just need to know the treatment for this. Most likely it's something that goes into the barrier, they apply a force, you counter it.

Our averages before were in the high 80's. They dropped down an entire letter grade when we started getting these board style questions.