Examination for a foreign student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnnyballout

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings all
i am a student in a school of pharmacy outside the US and i actually don't know the steps to get the license to work in CA, all i know is some exam names like FPGEE,NAPLEX and CPJE

i need a help to organize these steps,
what should i do ?!

i am not an american citizen, am planning to make residency there in CA and maybe work before getting into residency

any advice i will be thankful for :)

Members don't see this ad.

Take it a step at a time.

Did you graduate from a 5 year program? Worry about the FPGEE first. Once you can take and pass the FPGEE, the rest will come along easily.

yea i graduated from a 6 year pharmD program, so the first step is FPGEE?! does it take long time to prepare for it ?! how much time does the whole process take?!

First, you have to go the the NABP website and read the FPGEC bulletin to know which papers you need. Once you send in the application and the correct papers, you will get an ATT, after which you can register to take the FPGEE and the TOEFL. I studied from the APhA book for FPGEE and from the official ETS book for the TOEFL. I passed on the first try for both exams. After you pass, you will send a pharmacy intern application to the Board. Then you get your internship license and can start applying for internships. My advice to you is, don't waist time applying to the chain pharmacies or hospital pharmacies because they only accept student interns. Go to the independent pharmacies and ask if they need an intern. If they can't pay you, then do an unpaid internship because most independent pharmacies don't pay their interns. Start your internship ASAP because it takes 9 months to finish (1,500 hours). Once you finish, you apply again to the board but this time for NAPLEX and CPJE. If you pass those, you apply for a pharmacy license and then you can be a RPh. It's a lot of work and needs patience. I am still doing my internship and have 2 months to go.