ExamKracker VERBAL 101 SCORES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuredoctr

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious if there was anyone else using these? I took the first one last night at a busy starbucks (to begin to aclimate myself to the "be prepared for anything" test climate) and I got rocked. I scored a 5!! :scared:. Its okay though because I knew verbal was going to be the hardest. I was curious if anyone else using these tests could post their scores and or advice (I know there was a thread a while back, but that was for the April exam and I'm in need of encouragment and advice from the august takers. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

omg that royalty passage pissed me off.... in reality royalty payments are determined by book sales and when the damn passage says "bulk"... grr ek

i remember that question...how irritating was it that it used bulk and lions share...pretty much means the damm same thing.

The one passage about babies on I think test 5 or 6, you know, the one where we're taught about potty training a baby and what's not beneficial about rushing it.

Lol - I got every single question wrong =D. And all because I thought too much about it.

EK 4: 11

But I went over by 7 minutes (AAARRRRGHHHHH! I hated that sexual orientation passage). So my legit score for this test is really a 10 (Major depression:(). I need major advice for timing, obviously.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

But I went over by 7 minutes (AAARRRRGHHHHH! I hated that sexual orientation passage). So my legit score for this test is really a 10 (Major depression:(). I need major advice for timing, obviously.

I feel you man, more than you think :smuggrin:

EK LOVES wood furniture passages lol

passages that included wood furniture (joints), tanning (hides for furniture), sandpaper (finishing for wood furniture), and entire passage JUST on wood finishes for furniture (shellac, paint, etc.)

EK 1: 8
2: 10
3: 10
4: 10
5: 10
6: 7 (what the hell was up with this one? #6 was freaking hard).

How's everyone else doing with this book?

For me, once I reviewed my EK Verbal strategies I did all right. The only complaint I have is that AAMC verbal passages are so much longer and it takes me like 4.5 minutes just to read the passage, whereas EK takes me 3.5-4 minutes.

EK1: 7
EK2: 9
EK3: 11
EK4: 11
EK5: 11

I'm starting off rather rocky.
EK 1: 6
EK 2: 7
EK 3: 7

I took the MCAT 3 years ago and scored a 7 in Verbal so it seems to be where I left off. Not discouraged though. I will never get a 11 or higher but I'm going to shoot for a realistic 9 or 10.

How often are you guys taking these tests? Once a week? A couple of times a week? I plan to use the book, but haven't yet figured out how to space out taking the tests.

Just to make some people feel better about this, I took 9 EK VR sections, never getting above a 10 (generally 9s and 10s, one 8 I think).

I got a 13 on the real thing!

Just to make some people feel better about this, I took 9 EK VR sections, never getting above a 10 (generally 9s and 10s, one 8 I think).

I got a 13 on the real thing!

Do you think the book is worth getting and practicing with?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say so, yeah. It was great additional practice, and its much better than Kaplan VR tests. I'd say the EK passages and questions were very similar to the ones on my MCAT, maybe a bit tougher. But definitely don't get discouraged if you do poorly on a couple of the tests.

Are Kaplan VR tests generally easier or harder compared to EK? I've read that Kaplan VR tests aren't representative of real MCAT VR sections but I can't remember whether they are easier or harder.

spoiler alert:

Verbal Reasoning Test 2
Question 1...
Which of the following assertions in the passage is not supported by an example, argument, or by reference to an authority.

FROM BOOK
Correct Answer: A
I answered D
Explanation for D:
Darwinian Philosophy would prescribe a primitive anarchial society.
WRONG: It is true that this is not supported. However, this is not actually
an assertion by the author and thus, would not be responsive to the question. "quote" the author uses this as a foil to prove his point and in no way supports the idea.
END FROM BOOK
My questions...
ok. So the answer guide first admits that this is NOT supported.

Which makes the answer correct. But is it the most correct? well, how can you have an answer that is more correct than another when it is asking WHAT was NOT supported.

Anything NOT supported should hold equal weight and hence there should be no qualitative way of finding a better answer.

SECONDLY,
again in the explanation
It is true that this is not supported. However, this is not actually
an assertion by the author and thus, would not be responsive to the question.
now read the question...
Which of the follow assertions in the passage is NOT supported by an example, argument, or reference to an authority
correct me if I am wrong, the question does not ask for an assertion made by the author personally but instead "in the passage". Therefore the quoting of another assertion that is clearly not supported would be a sufficient answer.

If I had a passage and it went....

blah blah blah blah

quoting Darwin, "The earth is made of cheese"

and then blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah, the earth being made of cheese is not necessarily bad. Blah blah blah.
And then asked what assertion was there no support for:

A. The earth being made of cheese
B. xxx
C. xxx
D. xxx

Then say, A is wrong because it was NOT made by the author... OK!?

Thx

EK 1: 7
EK 2: 10 (taken 1 hour later because of anger of the 7)
EK 3: ?

Some of the reasoning behind some of these questions are like... HMMM... I guess you get a feel for what they are trying to get you to answer, but on 3 or 4 questions each exam I'm thinking, "I understand your reasoning and disagreed when I initially answered"

Encouraging to hear someone say they scored basically 10s or so and got a 13 on the MCAT.

EK 101 is very accurate. I got 10s in the EK 101 tests. I made 10-11 in AAMCs. I got a 10 on the real thing. I would say EK 101 Verbal is one of the most accurate predictors of your real Verbal score.

EK 101 is very accurate. I got 10s in the EK 101 tests. I made 10-11 in AAMCs. I got a 10 on the real thing. I would say EK 101 Verbal is one of the most accurate predictors of your real Verbal score.

Sure, which I believe. And it is also true that for some EK is harder and you could add 1-2 (even 3 in rare cases) to the score.

So I guess it just depends, to each his own.

My point is, it is possible for someone to get 10s and then get a 13.

Sure, which I believe. And it is also true that for some EK is harder and you could add 1-2 (even 3 in rare cases) to the score.

So I guess it just depends, to each his own.

My point is, it is possible for someone to get 10s and then get a 13.

Well, obviously, since luxaeterna did it. Not to discourage you or anything, but I am betting this is rare.

Well, obviously, since luxaeterna did it. Not to discourage you or anything, but I am betting this is rare.

This reminds me of something...

Let me quote the movie that inspired me the most:

Dumb and Dumber, where Lloyd is hitting on a fine lady.
Lloyd: The least you could do is level with me. What are my chances?
Mary
: Not good.
Lloyd
: You mean like one out of a hundred?
Mary
: More like one out of a million.
Lloyd: So you're tellin' me there's a chance.

So, I've done two Kaplan verbal sections(about three weeks ago) and got 8 and 12 respectively. Also, I did an "experimental" verbal section from AAMC (it was the very first one I did, and it was an year ago) and scored a 9. And today, I did EK verbal 1 and 2 and got 6 and 7!! Now I am really worried, is this normal? :scared: Is Kaplan verbal much easier than EK? Oh, and English is my second language. Any advise, should I keep doing EK, or go back to Kaplan?

So, I've done two Kaplan verbal sections(about three weeks ago) and got 8 and 12 respectively. Also, I did an "experimental" verbal section from AAMC (it was the very first one I did, and it was an year ago) and scored a 9. And today, I did EK verbal 1 and 2 and got 6 and 7!! Now I am really worried, is this normal? :scared: Is Kaplan verbal much easier than EK? Oh, and English is my second language. Any advise, should I keep doing EK, or go back to Kaplan?

EK can be a bit tricky. They really make you focus on each word and use the slightest nuances that can alter the meaning of a phrase.

Not sure though, I've heard they are harder for some (they try to trick more often). You can sometimes add 1 or 2 points to EK, but others say it is very accurate.

EK test 4:

Question 6

In the context of the passage, th term politically correct does NOT refer primarily to:

A, B, C, or D.

I had a tough time with this and EK always says... get the main idea of the passage. Yet, they do not tell you what line "politically correct" was on for the question, assuming that we are to remember each adjective defining the soldiers and memorize the implications?

Like when it disproves answer choice A (the term does not refer to this answer. These soldiers were the Praetorian who the term describes)

To disprove this choice you would of had to willfully memorize the terms used to describe the soldiers.

I could have figured this out at least if they had told where in the passage the word came up. Does the MCAT really do this? If we have to search for words that will use up valuable time.

EK can be a bit tricky. They really make you focus on each word and use the slightest nuances that can alter the meaning of a phrase.

Not sure though, I've heard they are harder for some (they try to trick more often). You can sometimes add 1 or 2 points to EK, but others say it is very accurate.

I guess that's where the problem comes from. I do not understand some of the words they use, but they are directly involved with selecting the right/wrong answer. Unlike EK, Kaplan and AAMC seemed to test your general understanding and did not try to trick you often with word usage (according to my limited experience:)). I guess, I have to start using the dictionary again :oops:

I guess that's where the problem comes from. I do not understand some of the words they use, but they are directly involved with selecting the right/wrong answer. Unlike EK, Kaplan and AAMC seemed to test your general understanding and did not try to trick you often with word usage (according to my limited experience:)). I guess, I have to start using the dictionary again :oops:

I think the practice can be good. Give yourself a bit extra time on the test and bring out a dictionary (they shouldn't be using words you don't know in the passage). Expanding your vocabulary can only help.

Hopefully you have a lot of time to prepare, just make sure to practice a whole lot and understand everything that you don't answer correctly.

I still got 5 more to go but these test span from 10/5/08 to 11/13/08. I take the test in Jan 30 so i hope to nail a 9-10 on the real thing

EK1 6
EK2 7
EK3 7
EK4 8
EK5 6
EK6 8
EK7 9
EK8 9

I was in the same boat somewhat. I initially took some verbals and made bad scores like 4-6 but it will go up verbal is in my opinion all about practice. I eventually made a 11 on Verbal so it just takes practice read as much as you can.

I'm using the new edition... I got a 4 on my "diagnostic":eek:. I'm doing each test under timed conditions. My latest AAMC was a 10....so there is a chance:)

EK1 6
EK2 6
EK3 10
EK4 9
EK5 9
EK6 6 Bad day or tough test??
EK7 9
EK8 9
EK10 11 Oops...did them backwards
EK9 10
EK11 7 I did well in the passages I thought I did poorly in and vice versa, I'm blaming it on finals:rolleyes:....Oh well 3 more to go plus the rest of the AAMCs

EK1: 9
EK2: 10
EK3: 11

i'm sensing a trend here? actually, i just took #3 and thought i nailed it...still got ten wrong though. well, as long as things don't go downward i think i'll be alright.

i'm taking one of these every other week until things draw nearer, then full throttle w/ AAMC tests and whatever else i have. here's to everyone having great verbal scores on the real thing!! :luck::thumbup:

so sorry to interject buuut i had a question. when you guys do the EK 101, are you doing a test at a time ? Or a couple of passages at a time ? How exactly do you work through this book ?

so sorry to interject buuut i had a question. when you guys do the EK 101, are you doing a test at a time ? Or a couple of passages at a time ? How exactly do you work through this book ?

Do a test at a time at a single sitting. This builds your stamina, and splitting the passages won't help you as much.

EK 1 - 6 (finished ~15 min early) :scared:
EK 2 - 9 (went over by 5 min...otherwise it would have been an 8)

Some of the questions for #2, I was debating between two answers and chose the wrong one. Had I gotten those right, I would have scored an 11! Great morale booster after feeling like a failure after #1. I did heavy analysis before starting #2 too, so I think that helped.

Maybe I can get an 11 on the real thing (Jan. 30)! :D

Do you all review the practices as thoroughly as the verbal book recommends? I'm not sure if going through all the stems and answer choices makes much sense time-wise. The main idea concept doesn't seem too bad an idea though.

In any case, my scores thus far:

Do you all review the practices as thoroughly as the verbal book recommends? I'm not sure if going through all the stems and answer choices makes much sense time-wise. The main idea concept doesn't seem too bad an idea though.

In any case, my scores thus far:

I usually try to review my verbal tests within 1 hour after I take them. that way I still remember the passages and am still in the same mindset as when I took the test. When I'm reading through the explanations, I usually pay attention to why the right answer is right (which I don't always agree with, but whatever) and if I was oscillating between two answers, why the wrong answer was wrong.

Hi everyone. I just bought this book and I'm taking the MCAT in June. Should I save some tests for practice right before the exam? If so, how many would you recommend I save and how many days prior should I take them? Thanks.

I do two passages a day. It seems to be helping my score, but I'm not really working on timing at the moment. I'm focusing on really understanding the types of questions I am being asked of the passages in order to help me form more comprehensive passive/paragraph main ideas.

I can tell a pretty dramatic difference from when I started my prep. Once I get the question types down (prob in another 3 weeks or so), I'll start doing actual timed verbal session and then work on my timing.

I should note though that I'm registered for the MCAT until March though, so I do have the luxury of time.

Do a test at a time at a single sitting. This builds your stamina, and splitting the passages won't help you as much.

If 60 minutes empties your tanks then you aren't studying hard enough.. :smuggrin:

I do disagree with your statement, but am only messing with you about your stamina. There are plenty of different ways to study. For me breaking up the sections extends my prep, keeps my brain fresh to analyze the passages to ensure I'm picking answers for the right reasons, and allows me more time to review the passages in more depth.

Woot, EK 3: solid 10! finished 10 min early :)

using the 2nd edition btw (purple cover)

I'm reviewing it sort of like how EK recommends it, modified:
1. Finish the test under timed conditions, using the main idea to guide me to answers.
2. Sometime within the next day or so, read the explanations and figure out why I got an answer right or wrong
3. Go back, reread the passage, go through every single question and analyze why they worded the question that way, why the answer choices were worded that way, why the answer choices were wrong and that it's obvious that that particular one is right. Though I disagree with a couple, but what do I know...I'm just a dumb science major :laugh:

If this is getting me to jump from 6->10 in three tests, I'm excited!

I know everyone bashes on Kaplan for being too hard/easy, but I did the set from their Kaplan 45 "Advanced Prep" book last night and I got a 10 (almost 11) on that too...the questions seemed a lot harder too.:D

If 60 minutes empties your tanks then you aren't studying hard enough.. :smuggrin:

I do disagree with your statement, but am only messing with you about your stamina. There are plenty of different ways to study. For me breaking up the sections extends my prep, keeps my brain fresh to analyze the passages to ensure I'm picking answers for the right reasons, and allows me more time to review the passages in more depth.

Of course, people differ in their study methods. I still think doing a practice test at a single sitting is more beneficial in terms of preparing you for the real thing. But if breaking it up works better for you, then no problem with that.

I have the old version and was going to purchase the new version so that I could have 202 passages instead of 101 but the rep told me it is the exact same passages/questions so not sure what the real diff is

I definitely feel that Kaplan's Verbal is SOOO hard compared to EK. Kaplan's passages are way longer, questions were tough to decipher, and I never finished on time.

Just took EK VR test 3, finished on time, and got a 10. I'm so glad everyone says EK's VR is more representative!

I definitely feel that Kaplan's Verbal is SOOO hard compared to EK. Kaplan's passages are way longer, questions were tough to decipher, and I never finished on time.

Just took EK VR test 3, finished on time, and got a 10. I'm so glad everyone says EK's VR is more representative!

true that. I think it's the passages more than anything. kaplan just has harder passages, which aren't so bad, but nothing you could fully comprehend by reading in 3-4 min

EK 12 9
EK 13 8

I got everyone wrong on one of the passages in EK 13....ooops. The 7 passage tests are a lot less forgiving when you do something like that.

EK 1: 8
EK 2: 11
EK 3: 10
EK 5: 9 (one point from a 10)
EK 6: 8

AAMC 3: 10
AAMC 4: 9
AAMC 5: 11

I was really happy with Tests 2-4, and EK5 was the first test I took after taking a whole semester off VR practice, but EK6 is really worrying me... was this test just different than the rest? I've seen some posts where people do worse on EK6 and others where people hit about their average, so should I be worried?

Junkct,

I just took EK #6, and it worried me too until I saw this thread. It looks like the questions/scaling are at fault for this one. Just keep rolling.

My Verbal scores:

EK 1: 9
EK 2: 9
EK 3: 10
EK 4: 12
EK 5: 11
EK 6: 8 (I missed the entirety of the last passage given that I ran out of time, and I missed some questions earlier in the section that I felt sure about).

AAMC 5: 11
AAMC 8: 12
AAMC 9: 11

And while I don't trust the scaling on these guys much:

Kaplan 5: 11
Kaplan 6: 10
Kaplan 7: 11
Kaplan 8: 12
Kaplan 9: 12