ExamKracker VERBAL 101 SCORES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuredoctr

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious if there was anyone else using these? I took the first one last night at a busy starbucks (to begin to aclimate myself to the "be prepared for anything" test climate) and I got rocked. I scored a 5!! :scared:. Its okay though because I knew verbal was going to be the hardest. I was curious if anyone else using these tests could post their scores and or advice (I know there was a thread a while back, but that was for the April exam and I'm in need of encouragment and advice from the august takers. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

1: 8
2: 10
3: 9
4: 9
6: 10
7: 9
8: 10
9: 11
10: 10
11: 6.......................uhhhhhhhh?

Trying to find a trend here. Been trying different techniques and still plateauing. How were people's actual MCAT scores compared to their EK scores?

Last edited:

Trying to find a trend here. Been trying different techniques and still plateauing. How were people's actual MCAT scores compared to their EK scores?

For me my EK verbal and AAMC verbal were nearly identical. I started with a 10 EK and finished at 13 and with AAMC practice test started at 11 and finished at 13 when I took the real test. I found it very representative.

For me my EK verbal and AAMC verbal were nearly identical. I started with a 10 EK and finished at 13 and with AAMC practice test started at 11 and finished at 13 when I took the real test. I found it very representative.

How did you improve your score? I must know! I need an 11 to have a shot at schools in my area next year and could really use some pointers,

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you improve your score? I must know! I need an 11 to have a shot at schools in my area next year and could really use some pointers,

Literally all I did for verbal was read the EK verbal book and try to follow their tips, except for the answer stem tips I didn't find those helpful. Then I just did the EK verbal passages a few a day under timed conditions(7 min 30 sec a passage) and took a couple AAMC practice tests. Once I got the timing down and a feel for how much time I could spend per passage my practice score jumped to 13 and stayed there.

Literally all I did for verbal was read the EK verbal book and try to follow their tips, except for the answer stem tips I didn't find those helpful. Then I just did the EK verbal passages a few a day under timed conditions(7 min 30 sec a passage) and took a couple AAMC practice tests. Once I got the timing down and a feel for how much time I could spend per passage my practice score jumped to 13 and stayed there.
Did you go back to the passage to answer questions at all?

Did you go back to the passage to answer questions at all?

Only if it was a cut and dry question that required specific wording from the passage for the correct answer. On the actual test I remember two questions where I went back and looked other than that I didn't. I finished about 7 minutes early and went back to a few questions but didn't end up changing any answers.

I've been seeing the same problem plateauing at 9-10.
Ek101:
Warm-up: 6
Test 1: 7
2: 9
3: 10
4: 10
5: 11
6: 9

I was concerned that studying from only one source would not prepare me well enough, so I started using TPRH verbal workbook as well and saw an immediate decline in scores.
TPRH:
Practice problems 1-6: ~9
7-12: ~8
Practice test 1: 7 =(
Problems 13-18: 9

I swear I've tried about every method I can find on SDN,but each test I get something different wrong. ( The 7 i got i am certain as from lack of sleep) but otherwise, I'm afraid I'll plateau at 9 and score lower on the real thing. I feel like reviewing isn't helping me as much as it should. I understand the logical organization of a question stem when I review but each new passage I can't seem to apply any skills I think I'm building during review.

1: 9
2: 9
3: 10
4: 11
5: 11 (thought this one was WAY harder than 4 but maybe it's because I couldn't focus

Not looking forward to taking 6. Seems like everyone has an issue with it

Thought I'd come back and post my final score:

1: 7
2: 8
3: 8
4: 11
5: 9
6: 9
7: 11

Actual MCAT VR: 10

Overall EK is good practice but AAMC is better (obviously)

I've been doing some of these, up to 3 so far. Thought I'd revive this thread.

EK 1: 10 (30/40) - 55 mins
EK 2: 10 (31/40) - 52 mins
EK 3: 11 (34/40) - 52 mins

I really hope this trend continues and I improve. Really want 12+, and missed 12 by 1 STUPID error (didn't read a "not" in the answer choice) in test 3.

1. 6 lol
2. 7
3. 8
Hopefully this trend continues.
4. 10 However I'm going over time by a minute or two...

Last edited:
Test 1: 13 (40 minutes)

That's all I've done so far, and I'm finding their explanations extremely convoluted and nonsensical. I don't even understand some of their strategies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Test 1: 13 (40 minutes)

That's all I've done so far, and I'm finding their explanations extremely convoluted and nonsensical. I don't even understand some of their strategies.

What are you? :D a 13? well done man, how do you do that !! I can't get higher than a 7 lol

What are you? :D a 13? well done man, how do you do that !! I can't get higher than a 7 lol

I've been an avid reader since I was young, and I guess that's worked out great for me. I read quite a bit even now, as well as being part of several different writing clubs at my school. I think reading dense articles like The Economist have also contributed somewhat. I managed to finish the test with 20 minutes left over, so I had ample time to review my answers.

I'd say just start reading - books, magazines, articles, whatever. It'll gradually increase your comprehension, reading speed, and ability to pick out important details. But I don't know how much it'll do for you if you plan to take the MCAT in a few months...

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone actually enjoying reading the passages lol? I might not be doing amazing at them, but I'm really liking the content.

Just letting you guys know as a person who finished EK and is doing AAMC + TPRH, the way EK asks questions is completely different...

Is it easier or harder? If I'm doing poorly on EK101s does it mean I'm doomed? What should I do... :wtf:

EK questions are way way harder imo.
Their reasoning is BS. Some of their explanations dont even make any sense lol.

EK asks so many questions relating to very specific details from the passage, while TPRH and AAMC are more focused on the main idea as well.

But still try to finish EK. It is still a very good practice as it helps you to get used to these boring + convoluted passages.

Last edited:
EK 1: 10 (30/40) - 55 mins
EK 2: 10 (31/40) - 52 mins
EK 3: 11 (34/40) - 52 mins
EK 4: 11 (34/40) - 55 mins

So far it's pretty good, I'm missing 12 by 1 question and it's very annoying. I also slack on verbal practice and don't do it as much as I should, I should fix that.

I'm beginning to regret working through the TPRH passages before the 101's. I've noticed myself struggling more in the EK passages, and it's a little troublesome to hear that their questions focus on different things than the actual aamc ones

EK 1: 8

Didn't take me very long though so I probably should spend more time on passages. I'll try 2 tomorrow!!

Exam 1 - 41/60 - 9
Exam 2 - 49/60 - 11
Exam 3 - 51/60 - 11
Exam 4 - 44/60 - 9
Exam 5 - 45/60 - 10
Exam 6 - 45/60 - 10
Exam 7 - 49/60 - 11
Exam 8 - 45/60 - 10

3R - 11

I don't know how to feel about EK, I've haven't seen tremendous improvements in my scores. There's been a passage every test that I miss at least 3 on.

I have the TPRH, so I'll work on that when I finish. I still have a little less than 2 months to go till the actual thing.

Exam 1 - 41/60 - 9
Exam 2 - 49/60 - 11
Exam 3 - 51/60 - 11
Exam 4 - 44/60 - 9
Exam 5 - 45/60 - 10
Exam 6 - 45/60 - 10
Exam 7 - 49/60 - 11
Exam 8 - 45/60 - 10

3R - 11

I don't know how to feel about EK, I've haven't seen tremendous improvements in my scores. There's been a passage every test that I miss at least 3 on.

I have the TPRH, so I'll work on that when I finish. I still have a little less than 2 months to go till the actual thing.

nice ! would appreciate if you give us your thoughts about TPRH versus EK versus AAMC :)

Im prepping for the April 11 exam. So im sorta behind my original plan for VR studying.

So far,
EK 1: 10 (31/40)
EK 3: 9 (28/40)
EK 3: 9 (29/40)

I got a 10 on the real MCAT back in september. I would be more than happy to just mantain that score cuz im banking on improving PS and BS, but i know that it was probably alot of luck that got me that 10.

Right now my goal is to get around 12 in practice or consistent 11s.

Im trying to track the kind of questions I get wrong and it seems like the I, II, II and questions about whether the author's argument/position (especially if it asks which would most "weaken" the argument). Any one have any advice for this?

For those of you trying to break a 10. What helped get me there was following some of TPR strategies (especially passage mapping).
I know alot of people are against passage mapping, but the way i do it is to keep from spacing out while im reading. Its easier for me to take the passage in as paragraph length chunks than all at once. So after each paragraph i will write the number of the paragraph and about three words to help me remember what it was about.
For example:

1) reading is good
2) people reading = higher test scores

... im making up the subject matter but thats the gist.

After that the next most helpful thing is eliminating wrong answers. Pretty much cutting out any answer that says always, never, or any other super extreme statement. Also, things that arent in the scope of the passage or dont answer the question.

Exam 1 - 41/60 - 9
Exam 2 - 49/60 - 11
Exam 3 - 51/60 - 11
Exam 4 - 44/60 - 9
Exam 5 - 45/60 - 10
Exam 6 - 45/60 - 10
Exam 7 - 49/60 - 11
Exam 8 - 45/60 - 10

3R - 11

EK Exam 9 - 44/60 - 9

I've started working through TPRH and I've found it to be different from EK. I think AAMC is somewhere in the middle, with the passages being more like those in TPRH and the questions more like those in EK (less ambiguous and better reasoned though).

With that said, I haven't gone through all the released AAMCs or worked through a majority of TPRH. There were a bunch of questions I didn't like the reasoning for in EK and I have yet to see anything like that in TPRH. I'm stuck getting 1/2 questions wrong per passage, so I think my time would be better spent studying for the other sections. I'll finish up EK 10 and 11 the week before I take my exam.

Also what are some of the different strategies EK/TPRH give for verbal? I skipped everything that wasn't practice. I've been reading the passages once and answering the questions, going back whenever they ask for something really specific.

For EK I can usually do all the passages and check my answers just going over the time they give for an exam

Last edited:
Im prepping for the April 11 exam. So im sorta behind my original plan for VR studying.

So far,

I got a 10 on the real MCAT back in september. I would be more than happy to just mantain that score cuz im banking on improving PS and BS, but i know that it was probably alot of luck that got me that 10.

Im trying to track the kind of questions I get wrong and it seems like the I, II, II and questions about whether the author's argument/position (especially if it asks which would most "weaken" the argument). Any one have any advice for this?

For those of you trying to break a 10. What helped get me there was following some of TPR strategies (especially passage mapping).
I know alot of people are against passage mapping, but the way i do it is to keep from spacing out while im reading. Its easier for me to take the passage in as paragraph length chunks than all at once. So after each paragraph i will write the number of the paragraph and about three words to help me remember what it was about.
For example:

1) reading is good

After that the next most helpful thing is eliminating wrong answers. Pretty much cutting out any answer that says always, never, or any other super extreme statement. Also, things that arent in the scope of the passage or dont answer the question.

Can you explain your strategy further. I'm not familiar with passage mapping. I can't seem to get above an 8 on Verbal practice.

Can you explain your strategy further. I'm not familiar with passage mapping. I can't seem to get above an 8 on Verbal practice.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to give an example of. So, after I read a paragraph I try to give a very brief (about 3 words) of the main idea of that paragraph. This helps especially to keep focus as I read. I was spending too much time re-reading parts of the passage before I started doing this. Also, after reading I will think of what is the passage's main idea so that its easy to answer those type of questions if they come up.

EK passages are fairly easy to read, so this is more helpful for passages that are closer to the real AAMC. But still a good habit to practice.

i even scored 2-3 on verbal practice when i first started ( english second language). with continual practice with Tprh and Ek101, this went up to 9. i know 9 is not a wow score to most of you but to me this is absolutely great improvement :)

i even scored 2-3 on verbal practice when i first started ( english second language). with continual practice with Tprh and Ek101, this went up to 9. i know 9 is not a wow score to most of you but to me this is absolutely great improvement :)

That improvement is definitely a wow. Any tips for people?

wow that's amazing dude, inspiring ! I'm also scoring very low (started with a 4 actually) and a 9 is my dream score !! any tips?? what did you do differently?

That improvement is definitely a wow. Any tips for people?
wow that's amazing dude, inspiring ! I'm also scoring very low (started with a 4 actually) and a 9 is my dream score !! any tips?? what did you do differently?

I don't think I'm the perfect example to give out the tip lol...seriously.

just practice 3-4 passages everyday (+ answer keys) with timed condition, and do good on rolling a dice (j/k).
Currently I'm averaging on 7-9...so it's really not set 9 score.
TPRH and EK101 is the best practice passages I believe (I decide not to waste time on TBR Verbal due to many of its negative reviews lol )

I don't think I'm the perfect example to give out the tip lol...seriously.

just practice 3-4 passages everyday (+ answer keys) with timed condition, and do good on rolling a dice (j/k).
Currently I'm averaging on 7-9...so it's really not set 9 score.
TPRH and EK101 is the best practice passages I believe (I decide not to waste time on TBR Verbal due to many of its negative reviews lol )

Have you taken any AAMCs yet?

Also do you do post-test analysis? I'm too lazy, I usually just look at the answers and move on lol

Also do you do post-test analysis? I'm too lazy, I usually just look at the answers and move on lol
Im the same. Its a problem. Im trying to start getting hardcore about why I got certain things wrong but its so hard with verbal.

I made a major mistake thinking that FL#3 was an actual MCAT ( yeah I know it's dumb silly..--), so yeah I had one AAMC so far.
Yes, I do post-test analysis except very rare 'wtf I don't think i get this ever' question. IMO, EK101 answer explanations are making a lot more senses than TPRH one though.
NewYork Times with student discount version on iPAD (99c per week) inspired me subscribe/read everyday too (especially opinion section..this resembles verbal passage).

I'm seriously flipping tables here....

I normally run through 3 passages at a time, but after my recent aamc(3), i realized my timing is good,but my ability to answer these questions needs much improvement. I've worked on 4 passages individually today and i'm starting to develop my own strategy in attacking these passages.

has anyone else felt that some of EK's questions are just sorta...out there?

I'm seriously flipping tables here....

I normally run through 3 passages at a time, but after my recent aamc(3), i realized my timing is good,but my ability to answer these questions needs much improvement. I've worked on 4 passages individually today and i'm starting to develop my own strategy in attacking these passages.

has anyone else felt that some of EK's questions are just sorta...out there?

When I did EK#6 I thought it was one of the easiest exams so far and still got an 8 :bang: so many wtf questions

So far,

For example:

1) reading is good

EK 4: 9 (29/40)
EK 5: 11 (34/40)
EK 6: 10 (31/40)

So my scores don't really reflect it but I feel like I'm improving. Couldn't focus at all on#6 mostly cuz of a bad study location. honestly stoked about getting a 11 one time. Shooting for 12 in practice and anywhere between 10 and 12 for the real thing.

Hi can anyone give thought on how Kaplan Verbal Sectionals compare to the others like EK vs TPRH. I'm debating on rotating between Kaplan verbal and TPRH verb. I have a few exams left in my EK 101 book. What do you all think about this?

My scores in order of test date so far.

AAMC VR 11: 9

EK 1: 7
EK 2: 11
EK 3: 10
EK 4: 11
EK 5: 6
EK 7: 11

The lack of consistency is concerning...

Anyone else who has done EK and Kaplan find that Kaplan looks way more like the AAMC practice tests? EK's passages are easy to comprehend, but their questions get random and don't feel like AAMC (usually 2 choices say almost the same thing in EK) .... Kaplan passages are super hard to comprehend sometimes, which is what AAMC 7 felt like.

Anyone have a similar/different experience having done more AAMCs?

nice ! would appreciate if you give us your thoughts about TPRH versus EK versus AAMC :)

I'm more than half way done with the TPRH book and have done three full length AAMCs. TPRH is much more like the AAMC verbal than EK 101. EK passages were too easy and the questions too ambiguous. I did 9 of the EK exams and I think I averaged a little over a 10. With TPRH I usually miss 1 or 2 questions per passage, which I guess would translate to the same thing.

I've taken AAMC 3R, 4R, and 5R and have scored a 12, 10, and an 11 on the verbal sections. I'm glad I had a chance to work through EK 101 so early in my studying, I feel like it's helped me with my pace reading through the passages.

Anyone else who has done EK and Kaplan find that Kaplan looks way more like the AAMC practice tests? EK's passages are easy to comprehend, but their questions get random and don't feel like AAMC (usually 2 choices say almost the same thing in EK) .... Kaplan passages are super hard to comprehend sometimes, which is what AAMC 7 felt like.

Anyone have a similar/different experience having done more AAMCs?

Kaplan's passages are good but their questions suck so bad.

I've only done like 30 or so passages but so far
EK1 :9
~11 for TPR

I generally miss zero or one in TPR, but occassionally I blow a whole passage :)

but I can never get 100% in EK101.. I just don't follow their logic so far in explaining their answers.

I'll join in on the fun.

EK 1: 49/60, 11
EK 2: 50/60, 11

I'm doing one per week. Prior to this I did the TPR Hyperlearning ones, and got 27/40 (~9), 34/40 (~11), 36/40 (~12), and 37/40 (~13).

Ugh...I absolutely HATE verbal!

Here are my EK 1O1 scores (old version with 60 questions)

1: 3
2: 37/60 8
3: 38/60 8
4: 41/60 9
5: 38/60 8
6: 41/60 9
7: 37/60 8
8: 41/60 9
9: 39/60 8

I have noticed that in most of the tests, I get maybe 2-3 wrong per passage which would be around 9-10, however in one or two passages I will totally BOMB and score 2/7 or 3/8 which really kills my score. It is notably the passages regarding government or foreign policies that throw me for a loop. I will start reading the passage and get completely LOST. I am planning on completely the TPRH verbal after the EK so hopefully I can score at least a 10 on the real deal. Any suggestions would be great!

Finished #6 today, was interrupted twice by my freaking roommate on the worst passage. Not that this is a new correlation, but I can consistently make 8-9's on mildly entertaining passages vs. economics/law. #5 and #6 were the worst for me, each had 3 very boring passages. However, before I started doing the EK full-length passages, I took an AAMC one and made an 8, before getting good at them. It's been the same since, AAMC's have had more interesting material and easier questions.