ExamKracker VERBAL 101 SCORES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuredoctr

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious if there was anyone else using these? I took the first one last night at a busy starbucks (to begin to aclimate myself to the "be prepared for anything" test climate) and I got rocked. I scored a 5!! :scared:. Its okay though because I knew verbal was going to be the hardest. I was curious if anyone else using these tests could post their scores and or advice (I know there was a thread a while back, but that was for the April exam and I'm in need of encouragment and advice from the august takers. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

That's really frustrating! I know how you feel. I thought the first EK test was easy, but all the others have been super tricky, and I can't get back to my first score! I have taken the first six tests: 11,9,10,10,10,10. :bang:

3qq6c4.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
I have not. I am following the 3 month schedule and today I got owned by the nervous system in my TPRH workbook. :) HOWEVER. I took the mcat already and I PRAY TO THE MCAT GODS I get a test with the same level of difficulty. It was such a fair test.

Reactions: 1 users
SO. here is my analysis after today's verbal practice.

EK101: will help your critical thinking skills (where to look for information, how fast to read, what is important)
TPRH: will help you demonstrate that knowledge since the questions aren't so convoluted.

I just did a test and ended up with a 10 where at in EK I was scoring pretty much 7-8! I feel like test 3 and 4 in TPRH are really similar to MCAT style (not all the passages but most of them)

:)

Reactions: 1 user
Test 8: I missed all the questions to the passage " Chinese Communist party". I think I'm having trouble remembering things. HELPP

I got EK 101 and TPR Hylearning verbal workbook and EK makes me want to punch a baby in the face after taking their passages. Has no correlation at all, I feel like it does more damage then good.

User TPR H-verbal + all of aamc practice test + aamc self assessment verbal . If you still need more, THEN do ek101.

EK 7: 10 (32/40) Another EK test... another 10. This is such :bullcrap:. I hope this is not completely indicative of how I will do on AAMC verbal :unsure:.

Members don't see this ad :)
EK 10 was rough! Went 8/15 through first three passages… then went perfect on the last four for a 10 (32/40). If you see an answer that doesn't make sense, make sure that you check the explanations because there are several erroneous letter answers in the box.

I get 9's on the EK VR. Got a 12 on AAMC 3.

And as far as those of you looking for the best resource to help you improve your VR score...get LSAT study matierals and do their reading comp. Even though it's not the exact same as MCAT verbal, it's great at forcing you to think critically while also subjecting you to reading even more convoluted and boring passages. It's a great thing for building concentration and focus.
I could not agree with you more. Cambridge LSAT has saved my verbal score.

Test 1 rocked me. Tests 2-10 I usually scored from 10-12, tests 11-13 seemed overly complex.

Anyway, after taking the actual MCAT, I can tell you that EK doesn't get it right. Don't feel bad if you're not doing all that great on their overly complex questions with horrible solution explanations.

Test 1 rocked me. Tests 2-10 I usually scored from 10-12, tests 11-13 seemed overly complex.

Anyway, after taking the actual MCAT, I can tell you that EK doesn't get it right. Don't feel bad if you're not doing all that great on their overly complex questions with horrible solution explanations.
What would you recommend over EK101?

If you are looking for a comparison between EK and AAMC, I received a 10 on AAMC 8 (31/40) and AAMC 5 (30/40). Same as most of my EK tests...

Where are you finding the information for converting your scores to the raw score? I am using 2ed and the conversion sheet in the back is scaled to 60

Test 1: 9
Test 2: 9
Test 3: 11
Test 4: 10
Test 5: 11
Test 6: 10
Test 7: 12
Test 8: 10
Test 9: 13
Test 10: 13
Test 11: 11
Test 12: 10
Test 13: 11
Test 14: 11

Where are you finding the information for converting your scores to the raw score? I am using 2ed and the conversion sheet in the back is scaled to 60

Back of the book

40=15
39=14
37-38=13
35-36=12
33-34=11
30-32=10
28-29=9
26-27=8
23-25=7
20-22=6
18-19=5
15-17=4
13-14=3
9-12=2
0-8=1

Thanks for posting that SwedishMD2B, I think I have the old edition :(

And to csx, do you mean EK101 is really easy? You must be superb at Verbal!! Are you using any specific tactics of approaching the passage/questions?

I have only started but on the 3 tests I've done, I've consistently gotten 10s

Thanks for posting that SwedishMD2B, I think I have the old edition :(

And to csx, do you mean EK101 is really easy? You must be superb at Verbal!! Are you using any specific tactics of approaching the passage/questions?

I have only started but on the 3 tests I've done, I've consistently gotten 10s

Try doing TPR Verbal...it makes EK 101 look easy (reading wise).

@SwedishMD2B + @swiftaspirations : We are talking about which is easier to read, correct? I find EK101 to be much more interesting and less convoluted. I guess you guys forgot, IIRC, practice passage 4 in TPR, the one on self/not-self....holy crap.

Test 8: I missed all the questions to the passage " Chinese Communist party". I think I'm having trouble remembering things. HELPP

I just took Test 8 last night as well. For some reason I do poorly on the passages I find "easy" and I do well on the passages I find "hard," the hardest being the one about Chinese Communist party. I thought I got all the questions right on the first two passages (I got 3 wrong each) and I thought I got all the questions wrong on the last two passages (I got 1 wrong on each). Though I could've sworn I flat out guessed on most of them for the passage about Chinese Communism...

I ended up with an 8 as my final score (39/60).

I am late to the conversation but...
I took the 'warm-up' EK 101 test and got a 5 :( I got a 9 on AAMC 3.
What the heck!
I think my issue is that I glaze over/lose focus when I find the passages boring... tips to avoid this?

Is there a thread for explanations for the EK101 Verbal? I did a quick search but couldn't find anything, so if this exists and someone could direct it to me, that would be awesome (thank you!) I know EK has a forum but I can't post without a membership? In any case, I am confused about a few questions on Test 4

#29 (Pg. 77 - Passage VI about Rembrandt) - In the passage, it states "the result is an awkward position that not only defies human anatomy but also supplies the most telling indication that portions of the painting were ambitious copy of Rembrandt's own work" How is the answer C and not B?

#33 (Same page and passage) - In the passage, it says "we expect a more muted, narrow color band for the background which would just begin to suggest the details of the cliff face" I took this to mean that the color spectrum used was too bright and too wide, meaning the forger couldn't accurate the colors of the landscape. How did the low quality of The Polish Rider diminish the artist's reputation? I thought that even though it didn't get much approval it was because critics rejected it as a forgery because it wasn't very good and Rembrandt himself would never create such an inferior piece (deattributing for the wrong reasons). So in the end, Rembrandt's reputation didn't suffer because critics said it was forgery instead

#40 (Pg 79 and Passage VII about sexuality) - What does the answer (D) even mean? So confused about this one. What is "single same-sex encounter"?

Any help or insight would be appreciated! Thanks

I am late to the conversation but...
I took the 'warm-up' EK 101 test and got a 5 :( I got a 9 on AAMC 3.
What the heck!
I think my issue is that I glaze over/lose focus when I find the passages boring... tips to avoid this?

Don't worry, I found the beginning of EK to be a challenge too. Kept on working and also did some Kaplan practice and I think my scores are improving. At least I am finding that the answers are coming more naturally (-5 on EK4) To prevent glazing over, may be a good idea to do some highlighting, concise note-taking to help you get the main idea. On the computer-based exam, I found this to be helpful. On the other hand, don't go overboard because it takes a lot of time. I would say, just do some practice passages using this tactic and slowly you will get more accustomed to it and it will come more naturally. Then you can sort of wean yourself off it and you will find you can go through passages much more quickly while still understanding. Try active reading and thinking about questions such as: What is the author's tone? Does he/she have a stance? Why is author mentioning this? How does it tie into the overall structure of the passage? What is the overall structure of the passage? Have done this and sometimes get lucky enough to guess some of the questions while reading!

Anyways, good luck! Have faith in yourself, you can do great!

Don't worry, I found the beginning of EK to be a challenge too. Kept on working and also did some Kaplan practice and I think my scores are improving. At least I am finding that the answers are coming more naturally (-5 on EK4) To prevent glazing over, may be a good idea to do some highlighting, concise note-taking to help you get the main idea. On the computer-based exam, I found this to be helpful. On the other hand, don't go overboard because it takes a lot of time. I would say, just do some practice passages using this tactic and slowly you will get more accustomed to it and it will come more naturally. Then you can sort of wean yourself off it and you will find you can go through passages much more quickly while still understanding. Try active reading and thinking about questions such as: What is the author's tone? Does he/she have a stance? Why is author mentioning this? How does it tie into the overall structure of the passage? What is the overall structure of the passage? Have done this and sometimes get lucky enough to guess some of the questions while reading!

Anyways, good luck! Have faith in yourself, you can do great!
Thanks for the tips! I am hoping to kill VR to pick up the slack for what I am sure will be poopey BS/PS :)

Anyone have trouble with Test 6 Passage 3? I could be bias but I felt some of the answers were considerable stretches. I think I got only 1 right haha. I normally only get 1-2 wrong. Ironically, I read the passage 3 times prior to answering the question because I wanted to try boring myself/build that endurance to boredom.

Thanks for the tips! I am hoping to kill VR to pick up the slack for what I am sure will be poopey BS/PS :)

No problem! We are opposites! My PS/BS are fine but Verbal is so stagnant and meh still! >.< When are you taking the exam? :)

Anyone have trouble with Test 6 Passage 3? I could be bias but I felt some of the answers were considerable stretches. I think I got only 1 right haha. I normally only get 1-2 wrong. Ironically, I read the passage 3 times prior to answering the question because I wanted to try boring myself/build that endurance to boredom.

Oh, I am planning on taking that test tomorrow! Will let you know about Passage 3 unless someone else beats me to the response!

No problem! We are opposites! My PS/BS are fine but Verbal is so stagnant and meh still! >.< When are you taking the exam? :)
November 7th, but I work full time and am taking organic/molecular this fall. I figured best to go ahead and do content review now and FLs/other AAMC material closer to the test date!
When is your exam?

November 7th, but I work full time and am taking organic/molecular this fall. I figured best to go ahead and do content review now and FLs/other AAMC material closer to the test date!
When is your exam?

End of August... it is quickly approaching! GAH

Does anyone else think that Test 9 just had a lot of problems? For example, the question about the provocative-ness?
Scores were initially improving but now are taking a plunge again and I can't tell if it's something that I'm doing or the test questions are getting too convoluted. Kaplan is becoming a worse and worse indicator (for Full-Length tests online) so I guess it is making me doubt EK too
Any thoughts?

I found EK to be difficult in the beginning where I was scoring 7's. But towards the end, I improved to the 11's. Also, I think this book is slightly harder than the AAMC VR, because I was scoring 10-12's on that. Although EK 101, I was ALWAYS inconsistent. Some questions were simply convoluted.

I found EK to be difficult in the beginning where I was scoring 7's. But towards the end, I improved to the 11's. Also, I think this book is slightly harder than the AAMC VR, because I was scoring 10-12's on that. Although EK 101, I was ALWAYS inconsistent. Some questions were simply convoluted.
have you tried TPR? I get 9-10 on EK. I've done a few TPR passages and get maybe 40% of the questions right :(

have you tried TPR? I get 9-10 on EK. I've done a few TPR passages and get maybe 40% of the questions right :(

No, I haven't, but I believe I will since I finished the EK 101 book, but I'm not taking my MCAT for a while. Jeez, 40%? Sometimes their reasoning differs from that of AAMC reasoning though, so your score isn't representative.

That may be an indication of a reading comprehension problem. TPR questions are extremely straightforward in comparison to EK but they are more detail-oriented IMO. The passages are also harder to read.