ExamKracker VERBAL 101 SCORES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuredoctr

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious if there was anyone else using these? I took the first one last night at a busy starbucks (to begin to aclimate myself to the "be prepared for anything" test climate) and I got rocked. I scored a 5!! :scared:. Its okay though because I knew verbal was going to be the hardest. I was curious if anyone else using these tests could post their scores and or advice (I know there was a thread a while back, but that was for the April exam and I'm in need of encouragment and advice from the august takers. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think this has been mentioned already, but is anyone starting to see a decline in scores in the later EK 101 tests? (mostly test 8 and beyond). I was doing very well, averaging between 10-12. Once I got to the higher numbered tests, I started to find more typos, more inconsistencies - i.e., the answer on the "key" doesnt match the answer highlighted as "correct" on the explanation - make sure to actually look at the explanation! Under test 8, for example, the "key" for #15 says the answer is B, meanwhile the actual answer in the explanations is C. Some of the answer explanations are so ridiculous that I get really angry taking these tests and wonder if I'm wasting my time.

I've heard around that there is a general decline in quality for the later exams for this book. Has anyone experienced this? For those who have, how did it compare with your SA/AAMC verbal or real test?

I actually just did 9 today so am just approaching this alleged decline, but I am definitely starting to notice more typos. Some are insignificant--the lines they reference are incorrect, which is fine because we don't get line references on the MCAT I don't think--but others are problematic.

I threw out one question in my scoring today when there was no correct answer. The explanation in the answer key noted how the three incorrect answers were wrong, and then under the "correct" answer it essentially said "Don't get confused by this one! The passage does not imply this." And no, it wasn't an "exception" passage. We were looking for what the passage DID imply. (It was the question about the implication of Freud's ideas on homosexuality if anyone's curious.)

I'm at the point where I'm just using it for practice and to get my timing down. Others have suggested not putting too much stock in scores and explanations, and I'm heeding that advice. At times I see where I overlooked something I should have caught, but sometimes I just 100% flat out disagree with their answer. I'm hesitant to black box those instances and move on, but I agree that AAMC reasoning is really the only one that counts so will rely on the SAs and AAMC FLs to work on that.

(As an aside, I got my hands on a used copy of EK's 16 Mini MCATs. Part way through the verbal of the first one I put it aside and haven't touched it since. Talk about mistakes. Some of the questions are literally impossible because of sentence fragments. This was one question from that book, and a rather minor one at that:
"...Given this information, the author could best clarify his argument withAn appropriate clarification of the passage would be the stipulation that:
his the author's argument allies only to both:
A. ..." o_O )

Reactions: 1 user
I think this has been mentioned already, but is anyone starting to see a decline in scores in the later EK 101 tests? (mostly test 8 and beyond). I was doing very well, averaging between 10-12. Once I got to the higher numbered tests, I started to find more typos, more inconsistencies - i.e., the answer on the "key" doesnt match the answer highlighted as "correct" on the explanation - make sure to actually look at the explanation! Under test 8, for example, the "key" for #15 says the answer is B, meanwhile the actual answer in the explanations is C. Some of the answer explanations are so ridiculous that I get really angry taking these tests and wonder if I'm wasting my time.

I've heard around that there is a general decline in quality for the later exams for this book. Has anyone experienced this? For those who have, how did it compare with your SA/AAMC verbal or real test?

I performed more poorly on passages in the latter half of the book, and I definitely encountered lots of questions where the answer explanations in the back were unsatisfactory to me or I disagreed with them. I just started TPRH and so far so good.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
"...Given this information, the author could best clarify his argument withAn appropriate clarification of the passage would be the stipulation that:
his the author's argument allies only to both:
A. ..." o_O )

I remember this question! It took me a solid 3 minutes just to wrap my head around what the question was even asking. :bang:

I've been consistently getting 9s on the old EK Verbal book tests. Is using the old version of EK101 a bad idea?

OK guys, I just got my results from the Nov 7th MCAT back and while I found the real thing to be much easier than EK 101 I ended up doing the upper end of my practice scores (11, when I was scoring between 9-12 on EK). Just thought I'd add my 2 cents!

OK guys, I just got my results from the Nov 7th MCAT back and while I found the real thing to be much easier than EK 101 I ended up doing the upper end of my practice scores (11, when I was scoring between 9-12 on EK). Just thought I'd add my 2 cents!
Did you end up with 12s on EK 101 or those scores were basically scattered?

Did you end up with 12s on EK 101 or those scores were basically scattered?
I actually seemed to get worse the more I went through EK, dropping down to 9s. I ended up sporadically using EK to practice but relied on AAMC. I was consistently getting 11s on AAMC.